Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
Yeah, the cat tracks are not that sharp. Here's a cleaner image of the intersection.

This is the design I would have used, funding permitting. It makes sense to have a gradual left turn anyway, since both left turns are almost always filled with semis traveling to/from the port.

Probably a bit more gradual, but this is just a rough conceptual illustration.

Varance fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

How common are protected right turn lanes like the above? I rarely see them, but it seems like they are about one of the best things to do to improve safety and throughput, since they don't require a hard 90 degree turn and can take the turn at a higher speed on green, and you get a better view of whats coming without too much blocking from the assholes who inch into the intersection on red.

Is it just limits on space for how few of them I see, or cost, or what?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

In Holland, those separate right-turn lanes are sometimes combined with roundabouts. That way, there's still the advantages of the roundabout, but right-turning drivers never have to mix with roundabout traffic and they can make a much smoother turn.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

That's an interesting idea, though I'm not sure how you'd keep people from going the wrong way. You would need some pretty tight channelization and some well placed "DO NOT ENTER" signs.

Terminal Entropy posted:

How common are protected right turn lanes like the above? I rarely see them, but it seems like they are about one of the best things to do to improve safety and throughput, since they don't require a hard 90 degree turn and can take the turn at a higher speed on green, and you get a better view of whats coming without too much blocking from the assholes who inch into the intersection on red.

Is it just limits on space for how few of them I see, or cost, or what?

They're quite common at ramp termini here. Unfortunately, they tend to reduce safety significantly, because people can't be trusted to stay in their lane or yield properly. They're also very dangerous for pedestrians. We've been removing them wherever possible throughout the state, and will probably continue to do so until they're all gone.

Carbon dioxide posted:

In Holland, those separate right-turn lanes are sometimes combined with roundabouts. That way, there's still the advantages of the roundabout, but right-turning drivers never have to mix with roundabout traffic and they can make a much smoother turn.

Bypass lanes at roundabouts are a different story, and are usually designed so that they can't be taken at high speed. We've got some in France that are truck-only; here's an example from my A19 project.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

Cichlidae posted:

That's an interesting idea, though I'm not sure how you'd keep people from going the wrong way. You would need some pretty tight channelization and some well placed "DO NOT ENTER" signs.
Let's play with it more, shall we? Might as well give IKEA shoppers and people turning the wrong way a turnaround, too. Just need to get a few cars stuck in the channelized left turn lane to block it, but it definitely needs some do not enter and wrong way signs.

Local Tampa drivers are used to channelized roads.

Varance fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Mar 15, 2013

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cichlidae posted:

They're quite common at ramp termini here. Unfortunately, they tend to reduce safety significantly, because people can't be trusted to stay in their lane or yield properly. They're also very dangerous for pedestrians. We've been removing them wherever possible throughout the state, and will probably continue to do so until they're all gone.

What about when there's an intersection where due to the way the roads intersect, a normal right turn would be highly acute? Like this for example:

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Install Gentoo posted:

What about when there's an intersection where due to the way the roads intersect, a normal right turn would be highly acute? Like this for example:

Not ideal, but that's about the best you can do in that situation. The choices are either to channelize, leave a huge area of pavement with no islands, or restrict turns.

Varance posted:

Let's play with it more, shall we? Might as well give IKEA shoppers and people turning the wrong way a turnaround, too. Just need to get a few cars stuck in the channelized left turn lane to block it, but it definitely needs some do not enter and wrong way signs.

Local Tampa drivers are used to channelized roads.

Yeah, you can probably make that work. The next exercise is to try to work out the signal phasing!

-----

Our first batch of inlaid pavement markings has weathered a horrendous winter. They're set in a 50mil groove (1/20 inch). Here's a nice pic I took today, to give you an idea of the scale:

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost
Install some RRFBs with my BRT? Don't mind if I do.

PerryMason
Sep 6, 2005

I want a Dixieland Funeral

doughboy1013 posted:

I know of one SPUI in the state, finished in 2006. The interchange just south of it is a fun one in itself.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=5470...nsin+54701&z=17

A quick scan of the WisDOT site finds nothing else of use.

Eventually, the intersection between Verona Rd. and the Beltline in Madison is going to get a SPUI. However, I'm not exactly looking forward to traffic for the three years it'll take them to do it. That said, it's much needed...

Looks like the I-39/90 widening project will add a bunch of new roundabouts as well (and maybe even a DDI (?!))

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Baronjutter posted:

They have right of way, but they're supposed to turn into a specific lane. In theory if everyone drove by the rules people could turn left and right at the same time as they're going into different lanes and traffic would be happy. But in practise people turning left might turn into the left or right lane on a 4 lane street so you can't turn right. If you got hit I have no idea who would be at fault, I'm guessing the person turning left into the wrong lane.

The same is true when I'm turning left and don't have an advance/protected left and I see a no one going straight, just some people turning right. I don't turn left because 25% of those cars are just turning right into the left lane.

Don't know about the rules where you live, but in California in a road with 1 left turn lane, the left turning driver and enter any lane.
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/turns.htm

Kahta
Dec 31, 2006
Is there a reason why I-95 is losing a lane at one point in CT? I dont remember where, but it is where the road is 4 lanes, 6 around a bridge, then 4 again.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Kahta posted:

Is there a reason why I-95 is losing a lane at one point in CT? I dont remember where, but it is where the road is 4 lanes, 6 around a bridge, then 4 again.

It's hard to say without knowing where you mean, but there are a few cases where we have auxiliary lanes. Any idea what part of the state it's in?

If you mean a BIG bridge, the Gold Star has 5-6 lanes each direction, and the Baldwin has 4. That's because both of those bridges carry significantly higher traffic than the adjacent sections of highway, as they're chokepoints. Route 1 shares the road with both of 'em.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

http://www.copenhagenize.com/2013/03/closing-streets-to-cars-for-good.html?m=1
Traffic bad? Just shut down some roads.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost
We're doing that down here in Tampa soon. Lots and lots of road diets. For every road being increased from 2 to 4 or 4 to 6 lanes, there's a road going from 6 to 4 or 4 to 2.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
There's been lots of mention of "rails to trails" projects in this thread. This one seems slightly different, with a mile-long tunnel being converted.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-20429500 posted:

The tunnel will be part of a longer route which cuts through the south of Bath avoiding the hilly parts of the city for cyclists and walkers.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2013/mar/22/two-tunnels-opens-cyclists-bath

But why would they turn off the lights between 11pm and 5am?

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

There's been lots of mention of "rails to trails" projects in this thread. This one seems slightly different, with a mile-long tunnel being converted.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2013/mar/22/two-tunnels-opens-cyclists-bath

Wow, you guys use lottery revenue for transportation? There's a pretty cool idea.

I'm not sure why it's billed as a purpose-built bicycle tunnel; it was clearly purpose-built for trains, then refurbished. As for turning off the lights, that sounds like it'd be incredibly unsafe, both due to the possibility of collisions and the typical muggings that happen in tunnels.

I wonder whether it's wide enough for an ambulance. All of our bike paths here are overbuilt to accommodate emergency vehicles.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

A misguided sense of saving money. Although maybe they'll put up a gate to keep people out during closing time?

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.

Wow, its so weird seeing my city (Wolverhampton, UK) being used in examples alongside San Francisco and New York City! To be fair, the ring road (which like nearly every other 60s/70s urban road project isn't finished) and subsequent pedestrianisation of the major shopping street has helped reduce traffic within the city centre. The only problem now is most of the place is run down and shops seem to be closing every other week but hey, that's the recession for ya. :smith:

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

MyFaceBeHi posted:

(which like nearly every other 60s/70s urban road project isn't finished)

More like cancelled halfway, like pretty much all other UK ring roads.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.

Koesj posted:

More like cancelled halfway, like pretty much all other UK ring roads.

Not really, no! Ok, that one was more slightly different to its planned design but its all there in its full 70s glory, and about as scary! Also the Wolverhampton Ring Road is kinda complete, just only the collector/distributor roads are done, leaving a fair amount of space in the middle for the express road to go, just like the A1/E19 between Antwerp and Brussels.

Wow, that was far too :goonsay: for a Saturday afternoon!

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
I knew I had forgotten one of the in-depth cases from CBRD :sweatdrop:

I guess that right of way for the A4150 is never going to be used, right? At least with the E19 they built a nice big rail line inside the median from Brussels Airport to Mechelen.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
It is being used in the eastern bit near the railway station, but that was to put in a bus lane for the new bus station. There is also the car park on the Western side of be ring road but that was there since the road was built. I doubt there will ever be plans for anything in the middle of the road. To be fair the road copes rather well, unless there is an accident on the road or the M6 is closed.

Also, if you want a British road geek site that is more up to date than CBRD (he doesn't have time to update it anymore) then try here. It's like Wikipedia only less bickering behind the scenes and people actually know what they're on about!

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?

nm posted:

Don't know about the rules where you live, but in California in a road with 1 left turn lane, the left turning driver and enter any lane.
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/turns.htm

The DMV site says: To make a U-turn, signal and use the far left lane or the center left turn lane. You may make a legal U-turn:

1) Across a double yellow line when it is safe and legal.

Are they saying something like this is allowed?

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Could you shed some light on this abomination? I'm not even sure how something like this happens.

http://goo.gl/maps/VmdTV

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

Zodijackylite posted:

Could you shed some light on this abomination? I'm not even sure how something like this happens.

Things were different before the automobile. You could simplify the intersection by making Howard Ave one way outbound with right turn only at the intersection, extending Dewey St with appropriate curb work to have a stop bar closer to US1 and realigning the cemetery entrance to meet Dewey at a right angle. Now you're down to two phases. Only problem would be people cutting through the property between Howard and Dewey to make a left.

Here's a completely unprofessional doodle:

Best way to fix a 6-way intersection is to cut it down to a 4-way by removing the lesser roads from the equation.

Varance fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Mar 24, 2013

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Zodijackylite posted:

Without zooming out, I took one look at it and thought, "huh. I bet it's Bridgeport."

Bridgeport and the surrounding towns are full of poor engineering and dangerous roads. I have a Google Earth overlay of the 1500 most high-hazard spots in the state, and Bridgeport is a solid blob of red.

Moreover, Route 1 is easily the most dangerous route in the state. It has something like 4x more sites on this list than any other state route.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost
What I don't get is how Connecticut has all of these terrible intersections with a long line of stuff to do, but here in Florida, FDOT's got the cash to rebuild interstates from scratch and redo practically all the major north-south-east-west routes, all at the same time. There must be an orchard of money trees in Tallahassee or something. All of the interstates, most of the US Highways and most of the state roads in Tampa Bay either have or are getting re-dos. And they're leaving provisions to send our entire interstate system into local-express lane arrangements.

Oh, right, the transit system I work for is funded to the tune of 30 million a year. Total. :v:

Edit: Green is multi-year reconstruction projects recently completed, Orange is heavy lane widening or structural rehab without reconstruction, Red is either full reconstruction or new roadway, Blue is planned multi-year stuff that kicks off within the next few years. And this is just FDOT stuff, not including local projects.

Varance fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Mar 24, 2013

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

mamosodiumku posted:

The DMV site says: To make a U-turn, signal and use the far left lane or the center left turn lane. You may make a legal U-turn:

1) Across a double yellow line when it is safe and legal.

Are they saying something like this is allowed?

The same page does mention that U-turns like those aren't allowed in business districts.

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?
That is one long list of exceptions to the legal u-turns section.

Now I'm not sure where it is legal to make u-turns listed under the legal u-turns section. The locations listed under the exceptions cover just about everywhere save roads through the middle of nowhere.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Varance posted:

What I don't get is how Connecticut has all of these terrible intersections with a long line of stuff to do, but here in Florida, FDOT's got the cash to rebuild interstates from scratch and redo practically all the major north-south-east-west routes, all at the same time. There must be an orchard of money trees in Tallahassee or something. All of the interstates, most of the US Highways and most of the state roads in Tampa Bay either have or are getting re-dos. And they're leaving provisions to send our entire interstate system into local-express lane arrangements.

Oh, right, the transit system I work for is funded to the tune of 30 million a year. Total. :v:

Edit: Green is multi-year reconstruction projects recently completed, Orange is heavy lane widening or structural rehab without reconstruction, Red is either full reconstruction or new roadway, Blue is planned multi-year stuff that kicks off within the next few years. And this is just FDOT stuff, not including local projects.

• Most of our freeways are 50-60 years old, and we spend a tremendous amount of money maintaining them.
  • State right-of-way for most roads is quite small, since it was laid out 300 years ago, so even minor reconstruction involves ROW takes.
  • ROW is extremely expensive to obtain and takes years. It doesn't help that we sold most of our spare ROW to cover budget shortfalls.
  • Much of the state is non-attainment, which means we aren't allowed to add extra capacity.
  • Unlike most states, our gas tax does not go to the DOT. It gets siphoned off into the General Fund.
  • Access management didn't even exist when most roads were built. This means any reconstruction involves removing lots of driveways / demolishing buildings.
  • Our richer towns have tremendous influence, and NIMBY will kill just about any large project.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Thanks!

Varance posted:

Best way to fix a 6-way intersection is to cut it down to a 4-way by removing the lesser roads from the equation.

The gas station on the right makes it function more like a 7-way :smith:

Cichlidae posted:

Without zooming out, I took one look at it and thought, "huh. I bet it's Bridgeport."

Bridgeport and the surrounding towns are full of poor engineering and dangerous roads. I have a Google Earth overlay of the 1500 most high-hazard spots in the state, and Bridgeport is a solid blob of red.

Moreover, Route 1 is easily the most dangerous route in the state. It has something like 4x more sites on this list than any other state route.

How many different points are the section of US-1 in Fairfield where it narrows down to one lane in one direction for a quarter of a mile, and for the latter ~500 feet of that has on-street parking, then turns back into two lanes for a five-way intersection, with two of those roads each having an entrance to the same parking lot of a Starbucks?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

http://goo.gl/maps/i0d92
I've never seen this sort of intersection design... is it good?? It seems very confusing to me but it also looks kinda new so I assume they know what they're doing.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

I've never seen this sort of intersection design... is it good?? It seems very confusing to me but it also looks kinda new so I assume they know what they're doing.

It's just a large signaled intersection, throughput should be good.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

Koesj posted:

It's just a large signaled intersection, throughput should be good.
Yep. Looks like an expressway interchange with a frontage road. The circular design reduces cost, cuts down on signal phases and allows access to the frontage road from any direction.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Baronjutter posted:

Oh hey, somewhere I've been!

I wonder what kind of phasing they're running. Storage length can be a problem unless things are done very meticulously. You can probably guess how easily the whole thing could be gridlocked if it hits capacity.

Zodijackylite posted:

How many different points are the section of US-1 in Fairfield where it narrows down to one lane in one direction for a quarter of a mile, and for the latter ~500 feet of that has on-street parking, then turns back into two lanes for a five-way intersection, with two of those roads each having an entrance to the same parking lot of a Starbucks?

Each intersection or section of roadway can only be counted once (unless it's the intersection of 2+ state routes). There's one intersection in Danbury where 4 state routes meet, so that has the potential to be 4 different high-hazard locations.

I can't talk too much about it, though; this is technically secret information, and I couldn't tell you details even with a subpoena or FOI request.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD
A few of you have postulated that our sign supports will survive mankind. Well, I'll never get the chance to test that, but one of our signs in Danbury was recently hit by a tractor-trailer.

Total damage? 3 scrapes in the galvanized coating. Steer clear of these things; your big rig is no match for 'em.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Was it trying to mate with that luxury suv?

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Baronjutter posted:

Not sure what happened with the Infiniti. Looks like the pictures were taken last week, and I can't find anything on the Courant or WFSB about it.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Clark Griswold got a decent Christmas bonus this year. :rolleye:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Baronjutter posted:

That is a sedan.