Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Bongo Bill posted:

They printed more physical copies recently. Closer to launch there were shortages.

Yeah, the FE thread was basically "gently caress, no one has this game" for the first two weeks or so and a lot of us ended up downloading it at midnight from the Eshop. The worse were the ones that pre-ordered off Amazon and those shipments ended up being delayed for a few days or even a couple of weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.

motoh posted:

Stolen from somewhere that stole it from the newspaper:

Looks like 3ds systems are going on sale at target on the 24th. An extremely early heads up, but early is better, I think.

What are the chances that the pikanipple system becomes difficult to find or rare? I already have a 3DsXL but may want pika somewhere down the line for my sister.

Should I buy it now?

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!

Jet Ready Go posted:

What are the chances that the pikanipple system becomes difficult to find or rare? I already have a 3DsXL but may want pika somewhere down the line for my sister.

Should I buy it now?

It's limited edition from what I understand. So, yes, if you want to have one at some point, this is the only point you could get one without resorting to eBay.

Homo Depot
Jun 27, 2007

Studs on sale!
Is that ad saying only the systems with pikachu on them are going to be on sale? I'd rather...not

VV Good news, I've been shopping around for one recently. Gotta get my hands on those new rpgs coming out fire emblem, etrian odyssey etc VV

Homo Depot fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 15, 2013

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Homo Depot posted:

Is that ad saying only the systems with pikachu on them are going to be on sale? I'd rather...not

All 3DS XL units are on sale for $159 starting March 24th. That means pink/white if you can find one too.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Homo Depot posted:

If you look at the small text, it does say that they're also available in red, blue, and pink and presumably discounted since the regular 3DS is also getting the $40 discount.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Super Jay Mann posted:

One of the worst things to happen to gaming in this post-iOS age is the phenomenon of balking at purchasing an arcade-style video game over a mere $5.

More to the point regarding Harmoknight, I found it fun based on the demo and enjoyed the simple mechanics in place and how difficult it is at points... Then I learned you could charge your attack and get more notes as a result and now I'm viewing the potential challenge of this game in a completely different way. :suicide:

I don't have a problem paying that much for games. Hell, I bought Bit.Trip Runner 2 at that exact price last month, which I love to bits. I don't like the regular stages as much as Runner 2, so I'm not going to pay as much for it as I did Runner 2. It's that simple.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
From a couple pages back...

Saoshyant posted:

Hey residents of the US of A, there's a clearance sale in this goHastings store. They have Shinobi for $6. Worth a look if you are after a bargain that also happens to be a really neat game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFkX2bbGnRw

This is the sort of game people who like to go for higher scores and speedruns are into, but I'd say if you grew up in the 16 bit era you'll likely enjoy it, as well.
Thanks for this! I just ordered it from Amazon since goHastings also sells stuff on there and it came out to about $10 after shipping. As someone who does like old school-style platformers, this seems like a pretty good deal. :)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There's a Flipnote 3D animation preview video dealio on the eShop right now, so you can watch that if you wanna see how they look in 3D (hint: really loving cool).

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

The only comment I have is: that Pikachu 3DS XL has been available in Korea for quite some time. I chose not to get it because HOLY GOD UGLY and the nipple factor. I am playing Pokemon pretty much exclusively, but I'm not willing to put up with something so terribly ugly.

Instead, I have a grey-colored 3DS XL which I believe is not available in North America, but I paid closed to $300 for it. That price cut just kicked me in the balls and laughed.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I really wish they would release a grey/black 3ds xl in NA. But since they won't, I'm going to go ahead and buy the Pikachu one for my wife.

My children and I each got a 3ds xl for Christmas this year, which means the Pikachu one will be our 4th. And come June I will be buying 4 copies of Animal Crossing because we all want to be the mayor.

My poor wallet.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It gets posted every page but I might as well remind you NA dudes again - if you register your XL (any model, not just the Pikachu one) and either Luigi's Mansion or Pokemon Mystery Dungeon with Club Nintendo before some point in April you'll get a free digital download for one of five 3DS games (Super Mario 3D Land, Star Fox 64 3D, Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask, Art Academy or Freakyforms Deluxe).

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
New Swapnote from Shiggy for Luigi's Mansion, get your new stationery!

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

That HarmoKnight demo is freaking awesome and I will hear nothing to the contrary.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Not only can I get the Pikachu XL, but I can get it forty bucks cheaper. It just gets better and better.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Anybody have any experience trading in an old 3DS to Gamestop? How much did you get out of the deal? I'm kind of considering picking up an XL and getting a massive upgrade once that sale hits.

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

Jet Ready Go posted:

Should I buy it now?

It was released at the start of December over here and it's still readily available. You don't need to be that bothered.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

GOOD loving 3DSXL OFFER IN EUROPE.

Amazon Italy has the 3DSXL in red/blue for 149€ right now, and their international shipping is pretty cheap. Sending one to Germany would cost 153€, to the UK 133GBP; I reckon the rest of Europe isn't much more expensive. Just go to amazon.it and use your regular amazon.de/.co.uk/.es/whatever login.

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

Katana Gomai posted:

Amazon Italy has the 3DSXL in red/blue for 149€ right now, and their international shipping is pretty cheap. Sending one to Germany would cost 153€, to the UK 133GBP; I reckon the rest of Europe isn't much more expensive. Just go to amazon.it and use your regular amazon.de/.co.uk/.es/whatever login.

Thanks! I just ordered a blue one, this is a great deal, just in time for Monster Hunter.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
eShop game SteamWorld Dig looks kinda promising. Kinda like a mix of Boulderdash and platform games.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Jeremys Iron posted:

...though the trailer makes it look like there's more 3D action-fighting which I'm probably less keen on, I prefer the platformy, puzzle approach.

Yeah, it's a bad 2D brawler. The framerate is terrible and their graphics are pushing the limits of what a 3DS can do (and then the graphics are largely wasted because they pull the camera so far back all their pretty 3D models are little pixel piles) so there are rarely more than 2 - 3 enemies on the screen at the same time. The hit detection is a mess and the controls are a muddy mess.

It's a bad game.

EDIT:

moths posted:

The IGN review was a pretty good example of GAMES JOURLNASM. The guy complains about the monsters being too hard to kill... Then goes on to say that combos and special moves are dumb because he beat the game only using basic attack.

No, that's not what the guy says at all, so ironically enough this seems like a pretty good example of poor reading comprehension. He complains that the difficulty has bizarre spikes due to the sluggish controls, poor hit detection and low framerate. Which I definitely agree with: I felt like I was constantly taking hits I shouldn't have been.

Here, I'll even quote it:

IGN posted:

Battling seems totally random; you can have an easy time fighting some enemies (a small variety of mostly uninteresting foes) at one point and get your clock cleaned against those same enemies later, not because you’re getting worse, but because everything is incredibly inconsistent. Hit detection, both in dealing and receiving damage, also seems unreliable: I was, at one time, hit by a sword-wielding enemy when jumping over it, with the sword slashing a full body-length below my feet.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Mar 15, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Just going on the response it's getting online, there seem to be way more people who are legitimately enjoying Mirror of Fate than I expected (and they're not just IGA-haters or mega-LOS fans or whatever).

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Katana Gomai posted:

This is the thing that will finally make me buy an XL for my parents.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Just going on the response it's getting online, there seem to be way more people who are legitimately enjoying Mirror of Fate than I expected (and they're not just IGA-haters or mega-LOS fans or whatever).

I found the demo mediocre, but passably mediocre. MoF is not a great game by any stretch, but it seemed competent from the demo, not nearly as bad as some people would like you to believe.

No contest, this new Castlevania is nowhere near as good as the one I grew up with--Symphony of the Night is one of my favorite games ever. I'm not saying that I'm a fan of this new direction or that everyone should run out and buy MoF. I just feel like people are letting their prejudices cloud their judgment. The game isn't great, and it's certainly not what any of us wanted, but it's hardly a disaster of Castlevania 64 proportions.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Eurogamer reports that incompetent localization company Ghostlight now claims their European version of Devil Survivor 2 is more than ready, but they will only be able to put it out if enough people preorder a limited edition from their own store. Maybe it will come with two posters, too!

A surprisingly twist, just as news of a revised edition of Devil Survivor 2 broke out days ago, and certainly not a scam from a company with a terrible track record. "Hey, if it didn't work for Gaijinworks maybe it will do for us?"

I just hope NISA will continue bringing over Atlus titles to Europe like they are now with the new Etrian Odyssey and Persona 4 Golden. The drama and incompetence surrounding companies like Ghostlight and Zen United is becoming too much. We just want to buy a product, for heaven's sake.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The first of the Guild02 games is now out in Japan - "Monsters Come Out on Friday", ie the one that hasn't been rated for an international release. Here's some footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jov95anM3ao

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=antO-lHM2Ss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8MeQE_0WAk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm5Q4jZ9rxU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhnhamtJCyU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Saoshyant posted:

I just hope NISA will continue bringing over Atlus titles to Europe like they are now with the new Etrian Odyssey

Umm, IIRC Nintendo Europe are doing the publishing in Europe, not NISA. Australia is NISA's area. Unless you know something we don't.

EDIT: Well, a quick googling showed NISA being the publisher in Australia, but I'm still going to be skeptical until the end. Not that any of this matters anyway, just as long it's coming in the first place.

No. 1 Callie Fan fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Mar 15, 2013

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Looks like the NOE twitter has just revealed Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D release date. May 24th.

That along with Pokemon Mystery Dungeon's release that month makes May a big month for first party releases for Europe.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Der Shovel posted:

No, that's not what the guy says at all, so ironically enough this seems like a pretty good example of poor reading comprehension.

Here, I'll even quote it:

quote:

...nothing but God of War-like moves that unlock as you level up to supplement the vague sense of your characters becoming stronger. And you never have to use these moves to win –I sure didn’t.

Guy plays a combo brawler without using combos and has a bad experience.

The article reads like a flagged Wikipedia article.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

E double post

Jeremys Iron
Aug 18, 2006

"Now if you'll excuse me, it's 8 O'clock, Time to get Bizzay"
Well it certainly sounds like I should give it a miss for the time being and stick with my Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing pre-orders.

Speaking of which here's a nice pointless debate given the complete lack of information on their respective differences, should I pre-order Pokemon X or Y? I'm thinking Y solely on the basis that X sounds cooler so I assume everyone'll buy it and I'll end up slightly more useful to the goons I'll inevitably end up online-poke-trading with to complete my collection.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I hope that Buy an XL/free game promo works if you get Luigi's Mansion on the eshop. I don't see why not since the free game is digital itself.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

quote:

To be frank, a lot of you are sounding a little ungrateful. GL have put the time and money into getting the DS version approved over here and you are acting a bit like children who want the newest and shiniest thing out.

I say, bring on the DS version, collectors edition would be lovely. I for one would not buy it if it was download only.

No wonder we get games 3 years after everyone else with people like that giving them a pass for all this bullshit :psyduck:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

moths posted:

Guys make a combo brawler which is so easy and boring it can be completed by mashing the basic attack, players have a bad experience. Maybe next time Mercurysteam should tune up their engine to the point where they can have more than three enemies on screen at once if they want to make a combo brawler?

EDIT: I guess having such bad hit detection and controls that the player randomly dies to enemies is another way of putting challenge into a game though?

EDIT 2: VVVV That too VVVV

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 15, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

moths posted:

The article reads like a flagged Wikipedia article.

That would be a valid comment if the game did not actually have the same problem as God of War where it has combos but they are less damaging and more vulnerable than one of a few set default combos. Calling it a "combo brawler" doesn't actually make it one any more than GoW or the original LoS (both of which are better games than MoF).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
For anyone who didn't already know this: anime conventions are the world's best place for StreetPasses. I've been here less than an hour, the convention doesn't actually kick off til 4, and I've already got 6.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

NOE announces a date for Donkey Kong Returns 3D: May 24. That's earlier than expected.

e: and May 24 is confirmed for North America, as well. The press release came with this photo:

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 15, 2013

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

jivjov posted:

For anyone who didn't already know this: anime conventions are the world's best place for StreetPasses. I've been here less than an hour, the convention doesn't actually kick off til 4, and I've already got 6.

My fiancee dragged me to a furry convention and I got 35 in less than an hour. There's going to be a point in the day where your streetpasses ramp up to the point where you just stop looking.

also: I downloaded the HarmoKnight demo. At first I thought it was a bit too hard for me to grasp and wouldn't be able to enjoy it, and then I got utterly addicted to it, and kept playing the three stages over and over.
If the Wii U eShop ever gets half as good as the 3DS one, that's when I'll end up getting one, I guess!

Terraplane
Aug 16, 2007

And when I mash down on your little starter, then your spark plug will give me fire.
I'm going to buy a 3DS pretty soon, and I have an idea what 3DS games I want to get for it. But what are some good DS games that I should pick up? I played a ton of them after the DS Lite came out but then sort of tapered off. Anything that came out during the DSi's life cycle I probably missed. I really liked the Ace Attorney series, TWEWY, Trauma Center, and Hotel Dusk, anything like that that I should check out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

jivjov posted:

I'm hitting one this weekend and I might just bring mine. Need to get more Miis for Find Mii.

• Locked thread