Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I've had a nexus 7 for 2 months. I must admit I have barely used it, but recently went on holiday and it was great for internet and email stuff. One morning it just won't come on, plugged it in and turned it on, all I get is flickering white lines of pixels. Anyone had this?

Organising a return with Asus who have emailed back to say they'll be emailing to confirm a collection time/date. Bit frustrating but whatever. The thing that irritates me is that in the paperwork emailed through they say:

"ASUS shall not be held liable for the permanent loss, damage, or misuse of your data."

Obviously everything is backed up so don't care about loss, but I can't get on the device to wipe it so its tied to my email and play account and has a few private files on it, in fact any file on it that is mine is private. Why the hell shouldn't they be held liable for misuse of my data? I mean the clue is right there in the word 'MISuse'.

Have you let it charge a little and then tried to turn it on? I've gotten that when the battery has been completely dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Yeah, I've had that problem when it's just completely dead. An hour or so of charging fixed it right up.

MDDY
Mar 21, 2008

Factory reset ended up fixing my issue with the Nexus 10. No idea what caused it, but it was an easy fix. Thanks for the help.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Athenry posted:

Have you let it charge a little and then tried to turn it on? I've gotten that when the battery has been completely dead.

I have yeah, I am sure it was on charge over night directly before it ceased working. Again the next morning I left it plugged in for long enough that I would expect something to happen. But yeah, I'll give it one more go now before I agree a pickup time.

If it does start working again I cannot guarantee I will return to this thread and admit that essentially I was too thick to manage charging it up!

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I have yeah, I am sure it was on charge over night directly before it ceased working. Again the next morning I left it plugged in for long enough that I would expect something to happen. But yeah, I'll give it one more go now before I agree a pickup time.

If it does start working again I cannot guarantee I will return to this thread and admit that essentially I was too thick to manage charging it up!

I thought mine had died, when I just needed to give it an hour on the charger. Felt like an idiot when it started working right.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
So I'm a cheap rear end/glutton for punishment/intrepid explorer and want to get one of those off brand but fairly high performance Chinese tablets. I've read about Ainol (bad wifi?), Onda (glitchy?), Ployer Mono 12 (heard good things) and a few others.

Any recommendations? Any experience? I'd like to root it (seems many come already rooted) and maybe run some custom Roms.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Gozinbulx posted:

So I'm a cheap rear end/glutton for punishment/intrepid explorer and want to get one of those off brand but fairly high performance Chinese tablets. I've read about Ainol (bad wifi?), Onda (glitchy?), Ployer Mono 12 (heard good things) and a few others.

Any recommendations? Any experience? I'd like to root it (seems many come already rooted) and maybe run some custom Roms.

Unless they are significantly cheaper than a Nexus 7, don't do it.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
The 10" Ainol Hero can be purchased for $188.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I've had a nexus 7 for 2 months. I must admit I have barely used it, but recently went on holiday and it was great for internet and email stuff. One morning it just won't come on, plugged it in and turned it on, all I get is flickering white lines of pixels. Anyone had this?

Organising a return with Asus who have emailed back to say they'll be emailing to confirm a collection time/date. Bit frustrating but whatever. The thing that irritates me is that in the paperwork emailed through they say:

"ASUS shall not be held liable for the permanent loss, damage, or misuse of your data."

Obviously everything is backed up so don't care about loss, but I can't get on the device to wipe it so its tied to my email and play account and has a few private files on it, in fact any file on it that is mine is private. Why the hell shouldn't they be held liable for misuse of my data? I mean the clue is right there in the word 'MISuse'.

I've had the same thing happen. I left it unused for a week, and the drat thing is dead except for some flickering when i plug it in. At least I wasn't doing anything important with it, and the Google Play support seems to be fine - they're sending me a replacement before I even send the defective one back. It's really annoying that there's no built-in backup system for data stored by programs, though.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
There is, but as far as I know almost no developers use it or care.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

I got the Nexus 7 Dock from Google Play today. Its pretty nice, hefty and has a rubber pad so its not going to slip around. I was surprised that the audio out is actually a line-level out, you can't set the volume on the N7. It works for my PC Speakers but if you wanted to use headphones you'd need to use the N7's headphone jack or an amp.

Daydream is kinda eh, if it activates is finicky and when its on it makes the tablet charge slow. The Beautiful Widgets one is a nice desk clock though, probably will play with it for a bit and turn it off.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Is it for naked N7s only or can it handle a case?

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Naked, it has a bit of play but not enough for even a TPU case, maybe a skin.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I bought a refurbished Nexus 7 and I'm having these touchscreen issues. Often when I'm trying to scroll, even in the app drawer, I'll have to swipe a few times to get it to register. I thought it might be my Moko case causing it but it happens naked as well. Is this a common issue among N7s or should I attempt to get it replaced?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I bought a refurbished Nexus 7 and I'm having these touchscreen issues. Often when I'm trying to scroll, even in the app drawer, I'll have to swipe a few times to get it to register. I thought it might be my Moko case causing it but it happens naked as well. Is this a common issue among N7s or should I attempt to get it replaced?
I have that same puddle game in the video and I can't get the problem to happen on mine. I don't think anyone else has mentioned it. Maybe it was fixed in an update. Are you on 4.2.2?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I have that same puddle game in the video and I can't get the problem to happen on mine. I don't think anyone else has mentioned it. Maybe it was fixed in an update. Are you on 4.2.2?

Yep. First thing I did when I got it was update it to 4.2.2, then unlock and root. The problem happens on stock, and it happens on ParanoidAndroid so either it's specific to 4.2.2 but only for me, or it's a bizarre hardware problem.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Yep. First thing I did when I got it was update it to 4.2.2, then unlock and root. The problem happens on stock, and it happens on ParanoidAndroid so either it's specific to 4.2.2 but only for me, or it's a bizarre hardware problem.
It's not 4.2.2, because the guy in the video said that his was a pre-order, so 4.2 didn't even exist yet. Isn't the Tegra 3 is supposed to have some sort of special touch processing? I'm just going to talk out of my rear end here about things I don't really understand but maybe when the chip gets stressed like in a game that part suffers, but possibly only on certain chips that should have been binned differently? Maybe me being way off will be enough to summon ExcessBLarg! who can give a proper (and incredibly detailed) explanation.

e: It's called DirectTouch
http://www.nvidia.com/content/PDF/tegra_white_papers/direct-touch-whitepaper.pdf

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Mar 14, 2013

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004
Welp. First my Nexus 7 kept getting the sick android icon on trying to update from 4.1.2 with no solution besides rooting (complicated as poo poo on OSX). Now, touches on the left/right extremes of the screen are getting confused and registering on the opposite side (pressing delete turns on caps lock. opening my bottom left icon opens my bottom right. this happens like ~30% of the time). It's time to send this p.o.s. back to Asus. Hopefully the turnaround time isn't too long.

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving.
Are there any rumors of new Nexus 10 hardware? I'm thinking about buying one but I'd hate to drop $500 and then a new one is announced a week later.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
So no one is going to recommend me a Chinese tablet? The nexus 7 is too small (I want a 10 inch) and all I've read on this last page is people complain about hardware problems and sending them back.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Gozinbulx posted:

So no one is going to recommend me a Chinese tablet? The nexus 7 is too small (I want a 10 inch) and all I've read on this last page is people complain about hardware problems and sending them back.

Isn't that like recommending you the best restaurant to get botulism? If you want a 10-inch tablet and intend to root/run custom stuff on it, minimize your headaches and get a Nexus 10.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Gozinbulx posted:

Cause they are all poo poo. Maybe find one on amazon and fulfilled by amazon so you can easily return it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Don Lapre posted:

Cause they are all poo poo. Maybe find one on amazon and fulfilled by amazon so you can easily return it.

I know this is a YOSPOS super star post, but a friend of mine picked up an Anoi Elf about six months ago, and he absolutely loves it. I've messed with it a little and there wasn't anything really bad about it. I was a little surprised.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I know this is a YOSPOS super star post, but a friend of mine picked up an Anoi Elf about six months ago, and he absolutely loves it. I've messed with it a little and there wasn't anything really bad about it. I was a little surprised.

This is what I'm talking about. You guys are putting down Chinese tablets like as if the Chinese are incapable of making a good quality domestic market tablet. To say nothing of the fact that all the tablets you DO like are also made in China.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Gozinbulx posted:

This is what I'm talking about. You guys are putting down Chinese tablets like as if the Chinese are incapable of making a good quality domestic market tablet. To say nothing of the fact that all the tablets you DO like are also made in China.
Just because they're made in China doesn't mean the software and drivers for them are. A lot of the Chinese tablets also use lovely Allwinner SoCs (or something comparable) which have terrible performance. Many of them also have TN panels with bad viewing angles. Not too long ago they were still selling tablets with resistive touchscreens! Chinese tablets are cheap because they're made of cheap parts.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You can get a used wifi Xoom for about $160 if you really need a 10" tablet for cheap. That, at least, is fully supported in AOSP.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

bull3964 posted:

You can get a used wifi Xoom for about $160 if you really need a 10" tablet for cheap. That, at least, is fully supported in AOSP.

I thought from 4.2 on, the Xoom (and Nexus S) had support dropped.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

kitten smoothie posted:

I thought from 4.2 on, the Xoom (and Nexus S) had support dropped.

Well. They have (from the respect that they won't be getting new updates.) But the source code and proprietary binaries are still hosted and there's still an active ROM community behind them. So, it's still AOSP supported, just no longer updated.

That's more than can be said about the noname SoC that's in some of these Chinese tablets.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Well. They have (from the respect that they won't be getting new updates.) But the source code and proprietary binaries are still hosted and there's still an active ROM community behind them. So, it's still AOSP supported, just no longer updated.

That's more than can be said about the noname SoC that's in some of these Chinese tablets.

There's no 4.2.2 branch in AOSP for it so it's not officially supported (support meaning Google saying "you can download this code, build it as-is, and it will run on your Xoom because we maintain and build this branch in-house"). But I would agree that starting from a fully supported 4.1 baseline is going to mean that an XDA kid's 4.2 build is probably a lot less of a gamble than something you'd get on a cheapo Chinese tablet.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
If I wanted to buy a Nexus 7, Staples or Google and why?

Also, the store model 7 is noticeably dimmer than the Nexus 10 next to it (maxed brightness and the same wallpaper). Is that normal or is the one at Staples just hosed? Has the GS3 just ruined my perception of non-Samsung screens?

I really want a 10 but it's the same price as a pair of 7s. Why couldn't they have framed the problem easier for me at $350? :ohdear:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Staples, unless you live in one of the places where Google doesn't charge tax.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

The price of the Kindle Fire HD 8.9 just dropped to $269, for the 1% of this thread not looking at/using the N7.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

PurpleJesus posted:

Are there any rumors of new Nexus 10 hardware? I'm thinking about buying one but I'd hate to drop $500 and then a new one is announced a week later.

The announcement of the Nexus 10 was less than 6 months ago. You're pretty safe. The only thing that seems remotely possible is a version of the N10 with a cell radio, similar to the N7 4G. I can't find any rumors of that though.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

Syrinxx posted:

The price of the Kindle Fire HD 8.9 just dropped to $269, for the 1% of this thread not looking at/using the N7.

I'm strongly considering buying one for shits and giggles but I'm leaning towards waiting for the refreshed n10. I just don't want to HAVE to root to get the core android experience. I just bought my n7 less than two months ago too.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

I personally can't wait for the refreshed N7, although I love mine currently...I'd love to have a higher resolution screen, 2GB of ram, and a better processor (probably snapdragon). We're only 2 months away from Google I/O.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I have an OG Transformer (on ICS) that's been giving me some trouble lately. When moving between screens, it will on occasion get stuck for a moment, and when it does get unstuck it has a chance of wiping all of my various icons and widgets. I can still transition from screen to screen (the wallpaper moves a little bit when you do), the Back/Home/Tabs icons are still visible as is the clock in the lower-right corner (I can even still get into the Settings menu from there), and if I tap in the top corner where the apps menu icon would be then the screen changes, but there are still no icons viewable. It's as if they're there, but just won't appear, and the only way to fix it is to reboot the whole tablet. I'm having the problem with both the stock launcher and Nova Launcher, is this something other Transformer users have encountered? Any suggestions besides "buy an N7" (which I might still do once my new job starts up if I can't figure this out)?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Has anybody gone through Asus for repair or replacement for their Nexus 7? What's the process? Pay to have it shipped to them, wait a week or two, then get it back, or is it better than that? These touchscreen issues are driving me crazy, but if it's a huge hassle, I may just suck it up until Google I/O.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Has anybody gone through Asus for repair or replacement for their Nexus 7? What's the process? Pay to have it shipped to them, wait a week or two, then get it back, or is it better than that? These touchscreen issues are driving me crazy, but if it's a huge hassle, I may just suck it up until Google I/O.
I sent in my TF700 after getting an RMA from their support site and I got it back within a week. Of course I'm only 1 state away from the repair center (it's in TX) but it was fast and painless.

My only complaint was that they never communicated anything - when they received the tablet, when it was finished, when it was shipped back to me. I just randomly got the fixed tablet one day.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Vykk.Draygo posted:

In the UK they sent me a prepaid TNT label, I arranged collection, and I had it back in exactly ten working days, repaired. It was, to be honest, entirely painless.

Edit: Also, all EU repair/replace is done in Holland, which is probably why they do the prepaid labels. EU law requires them to pay shipping both ways for (valid) warranty claims so they'd be handling a lot of big shipping refunds if they made everyone do it themselves.

Replacing my other unit through Google was even easier though, since they cross ship.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Mar 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004

Vykk.Draygo posted:

In Canada it's:

I pay one way.
Wait 5-7 business days.
They ship it fixed/new/refurb back to me.

I'm mad about paying to send it to them but whether they use express or regular when they send it back is going to determine how pissed I am about this whole thing and whether I consider buying Asus in the future.