Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Superconsndar posted:

Dear confession thread:

I just went (with a couple of local rescue lady who agreed to sponsor her and cover her adoption fee) and pulled her on my lunch hour. I don't have a lot of time to give her, but she is a GREAT little dog and a few weeks not getting quite enough attention is better than being euthed after being given no chance to be adopted. She's chillin in a crate at home and said rescue ladies are gonna help me find her an understanding home. She is a bit head-shy and doesn't like to be loomed over by strangers, but I saw absolutely nothing that indicated aggression, just lots of scared defensive postures. If you touch her head too quickly she reflexively lifts her lip and jerks her head around, but makes no attempt to actually nip or bite. She's either been poorly handled or unsocialized or both, but I see nothing that indicates actual HA behavior. She'll be fine in a home that understands that she's fearful and is willing to work with her.

They made me sign a waiver to adopt her and acted like I was jumping into a pit of lava when I went to get her out of her kennel. They refused to handle her at all. :rolleyes:

She's a great little girl and I'm not sorry, she has no business being put down for aggression because she had the nerve to be scared after her owner of 5 years dumped her in a strange place with scary people who acted dumb towards her. She seems like she is a good dog.

That's amazing. She sounds just like Corbin did when I first picked him up from the shelter. :unsmith: That really brightened my day up to hear that. Corbin was on death row when we got him too, and super nervous as well.

I confess to this thread that I actively seek reptile owners to argue with on tumblr since the reptile tags contain the biggest pieces of poo poo aside from outright sadism and organized abusive acts. I figure "if I can change one mind, maybe I can save an animal's life", but the responses are along the lines of "I do what I want" and "nothing has gone wrong yet" and "well they would normally eat this stuff/die from disease and horrible conditions in the wild" and my personal favorite "gently caress off vegan". :allears: Maybe one day these I'm assuming teenagers will listen, but I doubt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

Dear thread,

I went to animal control and found a dog that I love even though I can't have a dog.

:saddowns:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Dear thread
Super is inspiring me to look at the animal control website locally. Oh, and I get updates about Zee all the time but I never bother to say anything. :3: He's adorable and tiny and happy. She's painting his nails blue tomorrow.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

CompactFanny posted:

Dear thread,

I went to animal control and found a dog that I love even though I can't have a dog.

:saddowns:

Solution: get the dog

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

When my lady rats are in heat and I pet them they vibrate and wiggle their ears. I do it a lot. Sorry girls but it's hilarious. :haw:

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Dumbo ears don't vibrate because if they did the rat would fly off into space.

e: I pin Cubone a lot because her self defense mechanism is to lick people until they surrender. It's hilarious and adorable. :3: And it annoys her a lot.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Superconsndar posted:

It's really blowing my mind because she's got like screaming dog rage for Frankie but her and Moses are like making out and poo poo and Moses has literally never once in his life interacted in a positive way with a dog that isn't Frankie. She REALLY HATES FRANKIE and it's the funniest thing that has like ever happened.

Video, I want to see dograge

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Saint Darwin posted:

Video, I want to see dograge

She's calmed down around him a lot; now she only rages if he tries to interact with her, which he's mostly learned not to do. :haw: I'll see what I can do though lmao

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
Dear Confessions Thread,

My confession is that something happened that I'd had nightmares about but not done anything to prevent because "That won't ACTUALLY happen..." One of my kitties, Terra, fell out our 2nd story window. :catstare:

She was just standing on the window sill, not pushing on the screen or anything and POP! The screen fell out and she went with it. I leaned out the window and looked down just in time to see her sprinting off towards the side of the building. I closed the window so our other cat didn't get any ideas and then ran outside with no shoes or jacket hoping not to lose sight of her. She ran around back and I lost her. Panicking I ran back inside and grabbed shoes and ran off into the woods behind our building. After only a few minutes of searching I heard her at the next building over meowing at someone else's door. Poor thing was confused and just wanted inside what I guess she thought was her home. I snatched her up and ran back to my apartment with her.

After hiding under the bed for a bit she came out and I checked her over. I flexed her legs and mashed on her paws and even checked her teeth to make sure she hadn't hit her chin and broken them in the fall. She was clean and seemingly unscathed. So here's the second part of my confession: I didn't take her to the vet. She didn't have a limp, she was eating and drinking fine and I didn't want to pay $50 just for them to say "Yup, she's fine!"

I feel like a terrible owner for 1: Letting this happen in the first place and 2: Not taking her to the vet Just In Case but it's been a week and she's acting just fine. I'm just so glad to have her back unharmed because for a minute I was worried I'd never see her again at all. :ohdear:

I'm never opening our windows again

cubivore
Nov 30, 2006

fuck you, got mine
When I lived really close by to an animal shelter, so close I could walk to it, I would go down and look at the dogs all the time. I couldn't get another dog but I never really felt bad about all the dogs stuck there. I'd play with them a little bit and then went home.

Anyway one day my (20 year old) came with me and got really sad at all the animals and we had to leave early. She was almost crying.

Yeah, that's my confession. I guess?

uptown
May 16, 2009
I regret getting my dog more every day. My cat, who is the most precious thing in my whole life, HATES the dog. I love the dog, but Fussy does this horrible cat screaming/hissing/meow yelling thing at the dog every time they're near each other. He's smacked him (claws out) as well a few times, which I think is loving horrible and I worry he might hit my dog in the eye. The dog isn't blameless either. He won't stay away from the loving cat. He just wants to play, but it's not. going. to. happen. I hope that they reach some sort of a detente soon, because I cannot rehome either of them. My cat is the love of my life, and my dog is pretty great too. If I hadn't gotten him, this never would have happened...

Rodent Mortician
Mar 17, 2009

SQUEAK.

uptown posted:

I regret getting my dog more every day. My cat, who is the most precious thing in my whole life, HATES the dog. I love the dog, but Fussy does this horrible cat screaming/hissing/meow yelling thing at the dog every time they're near each other. He's smacked him (claws out) as well a few times, which I think is loving horrible and I worry he might hit my dog in the eye. The dog isn't blameless either. He won't stay away from the loving cat. He just wants to play, but it's not. going. to. happen. I hope that they reach some sort of a detente soon, because I cannot rehome either of them. My cat is the love of my life, and my dog is pretty great too. If I hadn't gotten him, this never would have happened...

My dog is a complete loving idiot and I had this same problem and really thought she'd end up blinded by catrage. I bought some delicious high-cal training treats, and every time she got near the cat I'd call her away and give her a treat. Pretty soon she would walk to the cat and then disengage and immediately walk to me. Now that the cat has normalized they play together.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

uptown posted:

Man I've seen you post a few times about how you think getting the pup was a bad choice :(. You should post in the training thread about that, though, because that's definitely behavior you can work on. Maybe get soft paws for the cat in the meantime.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
Yo, uptown (nail buddy)! Whenever Beau got too crazy with the cats I'd immediately pick him up and take him to the other room to let him know hassling the cats = game over. Once he was calm for a few minutes I'd bring him back out and reward any kind of positive interaction he had from then on. Nowadays he just does a goofy little feint to rile them up and then ignores them, all :smugdog:. It's probably difficult to do with a Newfie (that's what you have, right?) but it totally worked.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Rodent Mortician posted:

My dog is a complete loving idiot and I had this same problem and really thought she'd end up blinded by catrage. I bought some delicious high-cal training treats, and every time she got near the cat I'd call her away and give her a treat. Pretty soon she would walk to the cat and then disengage and immediately walk to me. Now that the cat has normalized they play together.

I did something sorta similar though Gabe and Sarah were raised around Balen so they were always pretty dog-okay. Still, they had an rear end in a top hat stage so I'd call the cats away from him, make Balen and the cats sit, then pump treats into them when their attention was on me. Got to be as soon as I told them to stop being dumb, they were all about treats. If they wouldn't listen, I tossed Balen's rattle toy into the midst of them and the cats would run off like it was a grenade.

Hell, Amy even faceplanted on Gabe as a tiny puppy and all he did was beartrap her head and purr at her. :3: He used to groom her tail for her.

uptown
May 16, 2009

Rodent Mortician posted:

This sounds like a good idea. I might just get another chalk bag like the one I have for rock climbing and fill it with treats. I don't know what it is about Shanti that pushes the cat's buttons so hard, I had Fuss before my parents got their dog, and Fussy lived with them for a few years. Never liked the dog, but he never loathed him either. Sucks, because now Shanti has to sleep outside my room if I want to sleep through the night.

On a more lighthearted confessions note:
-I like to buy interesting treats for my boyfriend's greyhound, Eva. I bought her rabbit ear "chips" and laughed at Troy because he'd have to clean up her furry poops.
-I like to pick my mom's cat up even though she hates me and growls at me a lot. I laugh at her when she starts getting mad... no wonder she hates me.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
Beau got a bad case of the shits in the middle of the night and I didn't think he could make it down the stairs and outside before embarrassing himself, so I threw him on the balcony instead. It's super loving gross but I don't care because I ended up being right and now I don't have to scrub the carpet. I was completely resigned to needing to clean the balcony tonight but it just started to pour and Mother Nature's doing it for me! Thanks, lady! I'll disinfect it when I get home from work, though.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
uptown: once you get the dog trained to not bother the cat as much as possible, you can totally start working on DS/CC the cat to the dog to alleviate the cat's stress somewhat too. But you don't want to do this until the dog will leave the cat alone reliably.

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
I'll give my cat treats then point and laugh at her for being fat, even though she's just really furry. And sometimes I'll call her when I'm lying in my bed then yell at her when she runs in, because my room is off limits. Oh and I'll rub her fuzzy tummy even though she hates it.

I'm sorry Bagels, I don't know why you put up with me. I hope you forgive me.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Those eyes. I've trained him to leave it but I can't resist the eyes for very long.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Fraction posted:

When my lady rats are in heat and I pet them they vibrate and wiggle their ears. I do it a lot. Sorry girls but it's hilarious. :haw:

The few times I've had a cat that's gone into heat, I can't resist petting/scratching their lower back to see them go even more crazy and walk around with their butt in the air because they want me to stop but they can't stop doing what they're doing.

I fart on the oldest of our 3 cats. The younger two, Max and Ruby, are sisters and a little over a year old. The older one, Batgirl, is 3-4 years and was taken in when the neighbors moved and left her behind. She's also fat and we make fun of her for that. She also has a saggy belly that I'm pretty sure is the result of the vet that spayed her. I used to have a cat that was also spayed by that place and she had it just as bad. Other cats around the area also have it and were spayed there as well. I had Max and Ruby spayed someplace else and guess who doesn't have saggy bellies?

Batgirl also can't get down to lick her danger zone, so it's stinky and she sometimes gets poop stuck around her butt. I used to hold her down while my daughter would pull the nuggets out of her fur but there'd always be a little left behind, causing more poo to get stuck. A couple weeks ago she had a big turd stuck to her and was crawling on her butt, getting poop all over the carpet. Eventually she got things free but she crossed the line with that one, so I held her down while my daughter went to town on her danger zone with a bunch of baby wipes. Batgirl wasn't a big fan of being molested like that. She's finally really clean down there but the next time she gets anything stuck, that's the cleaning she's getting.

I don't like making eye contact with Max because the majority of the time she'll stop what she's doing and make me pet her for 30 minutes.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

chemosh6969 posted:

I don't like making eye contact with Max because the majority of the time she'll stop what she's doing and make me pet her for 30 minutes.

I'm glad it's not just my terrible cat that thinks that eye contact means OH HEY I SEE YOU'RE NOT BUSY.

:catstare:

Cat Plant
Feb 11, 2007

There used to be green cats but they turned into plants because they slept too much.
Saturn thinks eye contact means love too.

I love the phrase 'danger zone.'

When I go to the toilet and forget my phone for entertainment, I call the cat in for a cuddle to entertain me.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Cat Plant posted:

When I go to the toilet and forget my phone for entertainment, I call the cat in for a cuddle to entertain me.

I think your avatar is cuter than my cats. I'm sorry, Patches (Smudge, no apology, you're a big gray lump of oh never mind come here and be my pillow).

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Cat Plant posted:

This. This right here. My secret shame.

ToastFaceKillah
Dec 25, 2010

every day could be your last
in the jungle

Cat Plant posted:

If I'm on the toilet, my cat KNOWS. Apparently pants half off a human are the best place to lay down.

Cat Plant
Feb 11, 2007

There used to be green cats but they turned into plants because they slept too much.
It's okay, my avatar is cuter than my cat too. Only because she's currently on the bed beside me going to town on her 'danger zone'.

And pooping time means a captive audience for petting.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Whenever I'm in the bathroom Simon likes to run into the bathroom at top speed, jump on the edge of the bathtub, up and around the back of the toilet to the counter and lie down in the sink. He does this so fast I don't really have time to stop him. He's quite capable of jumping straight up onto the counter, but he prefers taking this route.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Sometimes I just press my face into Sheila's fur and belch on her, just because she always looks simultaneously shocked and disgusted. I see it as revenge for every time she's ever come onto my bed when I'm sleeping and licked my nose.

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.
I used up the last of Sarabi's dry food last night and like an idiot totally forgot to buy more after work today.

I may have just emptied a bag of cat treats into her bowl.

Sorry cat, please don't throw up.

Cat Plant
Feb 11, 2007

Saturn went off all the food I had. So for a few hours she had to deal with cat treats; until I bought a mix of different flavours, a sealed container to mix them in and some wet food that we used at the cattery to get old cats to eat.

I'm in bed with a head cold and Saturn curls up under the doona, wedged against my butt. I farted on her with glee and abandon. Not sorry.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
I'm a little jealous of all you people with pet-craving cats. My cat is still so skittish that on the rare occasion that she lets me pet her for longer than 3 seconds before running off, I call after her, "Thank you for letting me love you!" :gbsmith:

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

InEscape posted:

I used up the last of Sarabi's dry food last night and like an idiot totally forgot to buy more after work today.

I may have just emptied a bag of cat treats into her bowl.

Sorry cat, please don't throw up.

This hit me in a really good place and I'm practically crying. It's like the human equivalent of beer in cereal or something.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Rufus En Fuego posted:

This hit me in a really good place and I'm practically crying. It's like the human equivalent of beer in cereal or something.

This happened to me last week. I had a really crazy day that turned out to be the same day that I completely ran out of dog food. I was actually really low on groceries for US, too, and there was like, nothing to eat in the house. I realized this at like 9 pm after finally sitting down after running around all day. I'd just taken a shower and there was no way I was going to the store.

I think their dinner ended up being something like a few pieces of torn up wheat bread each, some strips of chicken jerky, a few handfuls of some really nasty dog biscuits with really nasty ingredients that had been sitting in the back of the cabinet since Christmas (when they were gifted to the dogs by I don't even know who,) a couple raw eggs, some questionable leftovers from the fridge, and some lunch meat.

They were really, really happy. And gassy.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
There have been a few times when both the dogs and I have had [questionable tinned fish product], wrinkly old carrot and crumbly stale crackers for dinner. There's something humbling about sitting down to a dinner like that and realising there are a lot of people in the world who'd kill for the chance to eat it.

Luckily the advantage of moving back in with your parents is a perpetually stocked refrigerator.

Gary doesn't mind, he'll eat whatever he's given. Or whatever he finds.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Sometimes I don't realize Union's freezer stock is low and I go to take something out and it's not there. I always keep eggs, tuna and rice around though so that's my usual go-to emergency meal for her. She's in heaven, it's like McDogs for her.

RandomNinja
Sep 14, 2011

Protector of the innocent, assassin of the unjust, and a lover of delicious, sweet, creamy Ice cream.
Whenever I'm cuddling one of my dogs he'll typically start licking my hand if I stop petting him, and whenever he does that I grab his tongue and refuse to let go for a minute or two as he swivels his head around gently attempting to get his tongue back inside his head. It's as if it never happened though, because as soon as I let go and we cuddle, he starts licking my hand again. :iiam:

RepliCarter
Dec 5, 2007

Megalomaniac
I desperately desire a deformed feline that looks just like Tardar Sauce. I can't... I can't help myself, I squeal every time I see that cat. She's so ugly, she's so cute, I need one like her.

Cat Plant
Feb 11, 2007

I *know* I should get a shelter dog and adopt an older cat when I do have to refill my life with pets (Saturn is 17 and in great health so we're talking once I'm no longer a student weirdo). But whenever I think about it, I always see myself with a pug (WHY WOULD I DO THAT TO MYSELF), a French Bulldog or a Boston Terrier (WALL EYES EVERYWHERE) and probably a Burmese. Why? Because I like knowing what their personality will most likely be. And I want another cat like Saturn, though a Burmese will somehow, despite the laws of Physics, be even MORE annoying than Saturn (She's currently nuzzling my wireless keyboard). And those little dogs are so sweet and cuddly and possibly dumb as poo poo but I really want them. It's not so much that I'd get a particular breed; it's that I'm looking at little dogs, not the Ridgebacks or ROttweilers that I grew up with.

THE SHAME.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anima
Apr 27, 2007
1. The unconscious or true inner self of an individual, as opposed to the persona, or outer aspect of the personality.
I'm a cripple and... I really want a disabled cat (or dog when I get another service animal). My OCD means I have lots of money and medical credit on hand for bills (the service cat I lost in January was chronically ill). Just like, CH or a tripod or something. I'm homebound with money, why not. I know I'm making Inspiration Porn which is a cripple's biggest hate but... yeah. Confessions and all. I do like to wheel around with my cat on his leash though :downs:

Related, when I see dogs with water on the brain (like chihuahua trainwrecks) I want to beg them to euth. This disease is so loving painful, and scary, way worse than people realize. They don't even get the painkillers I do! I never ever would but I wanna slip them a tramadol sometimes. That's a good dog! Luckily there was one messed up chihuahua and after talking to me his owners take him to pain management and a neurologist & we stay in touch.

On a funny note, my pal was picking me up for breakfast yesterday and I didn't hear her pull up because I was trying a new song for the new cat. She texted me saying ""r u ok? Need me 2 come up?" NOPE GOT MY WALKER FINE JUST BUGGIN THE CAT.

I have to move 3000 miles for residential round the clock care next month and drat am I gonna miss my childhood cats (who live with my mom). I can skype and text and call my mom... but I've had those cats over half of my life. Gonna miss those fuzzy bitey assholes. Not worried about my mom and brother, mostly the cats. I'm going to interrogate my mother about their nail clips.

I would rather pay $250 for my beardie to be climate controlled the whole way than mail him for $50. I know it won't be much different buuut he's old (8 is getting senior for a dragon, the absolute max is 12).

• Locked thread