Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I noticed a tiny hair inside my 35 1.8. How'd that get in there? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Tusen Takk posted:

That's what I was thinking too, plus I'd reckon the shipping address is in Nigeria :v:.

Bugger all though, I thought I may finally be rid of it and pay some bills :shobon:

It would be so sad to be a Nigerian legitimately trying to buy something.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

a foolish pianist posted:

It would be so sad to be a Nigerian legitimately trying to buy something.

I've met quite a few African guys named Prince too, I can just imagine :smithicide:.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
The D7100 ships today! Does that typically mean Nikon starts shipping them to the stores, or do the stores have them ahead of time and put them on the shelves today?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Welp, it was a good ride with my D200 but I am officially Nikon-less. I might be back when/if Nikon comes out with a compact mirrorless that's not a joke :(

On the bright side I can now say I have absolutely nothing in common with Ken Rockwell.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Martytoof posted:

On the bright side I can now say I have absolutely nothing in common with Ken Rockwell.

Except your posting (because it's bad).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

8th-samurai posted:

Except your posting (because it's bad).

Nothing alike because my posts are too RAW for this thread :colbert:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Martytoof posted:

Nothing alike because my posts are too RAW for this thread :colbert:

Voted: Post most likely to give you salmonella 2013.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Is the 3D/Dynamic AF tracking in the D3100 just really loving bad or is it because It's limited to 11 points? I know my nickname is Shaky McShakeHands but Jesus Christ I missed a lot of shots (birding) this past week. It's making me want to do something dumb like rage buy a 7000/7100.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Isn't it more likely that you're using a slow lens?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

beergod posted:

Isn't it more likely that you're using a slow lens?

Eh, fair enough. Tamron 70-300 at the moment but I'm getting slightly out of focus stuff even if I can coax birds into flying at me with a hilarious amount of room to spare. And they're ducks so it's not like I'm dealing with sparrows breaking the sound barrier. Changing to back button focus helped a bit but something just feels off. I should upgrade anyway. The ISO performance on this thing is pretty bad at 1/2000 and up.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I never used 3D on my D90 because as you discovered, it doesn't have enough points to make it color-track properly. Your shaky hands shouldn't have much of an impact on focus performance. I would just use the center point.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Is the 3D/Dynamic AF tracking in the D3100 just really loving bad or is it because It's limited to 11 points? I know my nickname is Shaky McShakeHands but Jesus Christ I missed a lot of shots (birding) this past week. It's making me want to do something dumb like rage buy a 7000/7100.

Dont ask "WHY IS MY CAMREA DOING____________" without posting a picture.

Chances are you are using a really slow lens and too low of ISO especially in Birding. If you Bird, you need to have a tripod or monopod with your tele-zooms. Your zooms are only as fast as the AF motor they have in them. Dont expect 70-200VRII results on a Tammy.

Musket fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 15, 2013

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Musket posted:

Dont ask "WHY IS MY CAMREA DOING____________" without posting a picture.

Chances are you are using a really slow lens and too low of ISO especially in Birding. If you Bird, you need to have a tripod or monopod with your tele-zooms.

Same speed as the lens I was using previously (kit 55-200) which was giving me some great results but now that I think about it I changed to Dynamic AF from straight up single point around the same time I got the new lens. Just gonna go back to single point. With only 11 points I'd think it's pretty easy for my subject to fly between points and the camera not catch it and fly off to infinity focus land. Not sure why I changed it now that mention it.

Edit: vvvv Maybe, not sure why I'm all of sudden having a problem with it though. I'll try the same techniques with the kit and see if I hit the same roadblock.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 15, 2013

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Same speed as the lens I was using previously (kit 55-200) which was giving me some great results but now that I think about it I changed to Dynamic AF from straight up single point around the same time I got the new lens. Just gonna go back to single point.

I think its a simple issue of your lens AF motor cannot keep up.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Birding always worked better for me with single point focus on my d5000.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
Admittedly I'm no good at birding but my D7000 with a Sigma 50-200 feels like it's pretty good with focus tracking, all those AF points close together mean things don't get lost in the gaps.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Mr. Despair posted:

Birding always worked better for me with single point focus on my d5000.

Yeah I have the same issue with fast doggies at the park. Just single-point it.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

What is a good remote for time lapse/long exposure stuffs for a D7000? (apologises if this has been asked already)

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

toggle posted:

What is a good remote for time lapse/long exposure stuffs for a D7000? (apologises if this has been asked already)

They dropped the ten-pin connector from the D7000, didn't they? There used to be so incredibly many cheap options (still, check GadgetInfinity just in case). Normally I'm all about buying quality gear, but it's pretty hard to gently caress up a timer/intervalometer.

Your D7000 should be able to do time lapse (as in interval shooting, in Nikon's words) internally though.

snuffles
Oct 7, 2007
You can pick up an MC-36 knockoff and adapter for just a few :10bux: off ebay, though like SoundMonkey said you should be able to do time lapse in-camera.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

snuffles posted:

You can pick up an MC-36 knockoff and adapter for just a few :10bux: off ebay, though like SoundMonkey said you should be able to do time lapse in-camera.

Those are 10-pin, does the D7000 have that?

I used to have an actual MC-36 and god it owned.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

OK cool. I have done it in camera but it gets a bit wobbly/poo poo.

I also bought this D7000 2 weeks ago, just as the D7100 comes out! :downs:

snuffles
Oct 7, 2007

SoundMonkey posted:

Those are 10-pin, does the D7000 have that?

I used to have an actual MC-36 and god it owned.

Nope, that's what the adapter part is for. You can also pony up an extra photobux and get one of these and skip the adapter.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

snuffles posted:

Nope, that's what the adapter part is for. You can also pony up an extra photobux and get one of these and skip the adapter.

That's wicked, exactly what I want! Cheers guys :)

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Nikon are doing a cashback offer until the end of May for the UK and Ireland. €120/£100 back on a D7000 makes it very tempting. The cashback is given via a disposable Visa credit card.

http://www.nikon.co.uk/sites/cashback/default.html

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
I think if I'm going to carry my D7000 around I'm going to need a heavier lens :v:

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Beastruction posted:

I think if I'm going to carry my D7000 around I'm going to need a heavier lens :v:

300mm AIS f4 weighs more than you. Carry that around all day, get swole.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
I've been thinking about getting an old DSLR to convert to Infrared... and I just found out that apparently the D100 did not have an IR Filter built in.

So all I need (I think) is a D100, an visible light filter (which is called an IR filter most of the time even though it's not filtering IR), and maybe a set of step up rings for my lenses.

Will this work? Anyone else tried this with any success?

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

echobucket posted:

I've been thinking about getting an old DSLR to convert to Infrared... and I just found out that apparently the D100 did not have an IR Filter built in.

So all I need (I think) is a D100, an visible light filter (which is called an IR filter most of the time even though it's not filtering IR), and maybe a set of step up rings for my lenses.

Get a Hoya r72 or Tiffen 87 Filter, never look back.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

echobucket posted:

This sounds really dubious, pretty much everything that has a CCD has an infrared filter ('hot mirror') due to how absurdly sensitive they are to IR light and how much it fucks up photographs. The D100 might have a relatively weak hot mirror, but I can almost guarantee it has one.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

SoundMonkey posted:

This sounds really dubious, pretty much everything that has a CCD has an infrared filter ('hot mirror') due to how absurdly sensitive they are to IR light and how much it fucks up photographs. The D100 might have a relatively weak hot mirror, but I can almost guarantee it has one.

Its weak as gently caress Soundmonkey, weak enough that a R72/720nm filter will work pretty great, Not lifepixel conversion amazing, but great with some work in post.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Musket posted:

300mm AIS f4 weighs more than you. Carry that around all day, get swole.

I was thinking more like 400mm, gotta get those sweet pigeon close-ups while I'm waiting for the bus.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Beastruction posted:

I was thinking more like 400mm, gotta get those sweet pigeon close-ups while I'm waiting for the bus.

The Tamron 200-400 f/5.6 is actually not terrible for the price.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Has anyone picked up the 7100 yet? Trip report? Thinking about upgrading from my just-purchased 3200 (just take all my money Cameragod).

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

beergod posted:

Has anyone picked up the 7100 yet? Trip report? Thinking about upgrading from my just-purchased 3200 (just take all my money Cameragod).
Buy a lens instead.

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

echobucket posted:

I used to do try IR with my old D70, which had a similar filter pack on the CCD to the D100 - but it was terrible to use, because you can't see through the lens with the filter on. Shutter speeds were about 6-8 stops slower, too, which meant hand-holding was fairly marginal.

I ended up getting a D80 converted - which is good fun, but in retrospect I would have done better to get a mirrorless thing converted instead. Focus shift can be terrible on some lenses, and it's impossible to properly calibrate the lenses and AF sensor on an SLR. It can also be difficult/impossible to nail focus manually, for the same reason.

That said, the converted camera had much less in the way of hotspotting on some lenses, although it's unavoidable to some extent. I highly recommend the Nikon 16-85 VR for IR work - it's superb in IR, and doesn't hotspot at all on my converted camera. Incidentally, the Samyang 14mm is also surprisingly good.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

beergod posted:

Buy 17-50 tamron 2.8, not a new camera body. Trust the dorkroom.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Is there a sensor difference between the D3200 and the D7100? Or is the D7100 the same thing but with a crap ton of more toys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Do you shoot nothing but MTF charts and brick walls?

Sensors are different but both are 24mp. D7100 has way more options and use of legacy lenses with metering and AF screw.