Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..
I used to have an S40, it's got a ton of torque down low, but above 75 mph the vibrations make it uncomfortable for long periods. I would say 75-85 mph would be the reserve for passing at speed. It's really not a terrible bike if you want a small light cruiser to learn on. Even though it sounded like a lawnmower, I liked it better than the Honda Rebel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

xd posted:

I used to have an S40, it's got a ton of torque down low, but above 75 mph the vibrations make it uncomfortable for long periods. I would say 75-85 mph would be the reserve for passing at speed. It's really not a terrible bike if you want a small light cruiser to learn on. Even though it sounded like a lawnmower, I liked it better than the Honda Rebel.

Cool, so long as I can keep up with the slower traffic thats good enough for me, especially since the new orleans causeway is actually 65mph (and heavily patrolled, so people actually go that fast)

And if I end up buying one this will be the first thing I do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK_-ydEDl0g

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

ThatCguy posted:

[S40]

That being said, finding an el cheapo one and tossing one of the Ryca kits on it looks fun.

http://www.rycamotors.com/bikes/

Just to save other folks the clicking: their kits run $2500 plus to convert an S40, but they do look pretty cool.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
We got an S40 for my wife as a starter bike. She really liked the aesthetics and it's got enough low end to pull us both around town and have some fun on it.

Some good and bad points:

Good:
  • It's really a fun little bike. It has "personality." The single cylinder engine with a carburetor sounds like a helicopter/lawn mower. It vibrates a lot. It's air-cooled. You feel like you're riding something from a previous era.
  • It weighs practically nothing. I think it's like 360-380, and it's really low to the ground. Really good for feeling in control especially at low speeds.
  • Looks pretty cool. Not overly chromed. I also don't like fairings at all so whatevs.
  • Good for shorter riders. She's 5'4" and can flat foot it with no problem.
  • Fair amount of torque. It surprises me in first and second a lot of the time. Not enough to get you in trouble, but it can accelerate like a bigger bike at low RPMs.

Bad:
  • If you don't like personality, it's really old tech. The single cylinder engine with a carburetor sounds like a helicopter/lawn mower. It vibrates a lot. It's air-cooled. You feel like you're riding something from a previous era.
  • The brakes are poo poo. It's got a drum brake on the rear and the front disc is small. I need to get the thing tuned up, but in the shape it's in (previous owner didn't do anything for it in the ~800 miles he put on it in six months) I wouldn't trust it to stop at highway speeds.
  • If you're even kinda tall, it's not very comfortable on longer rides. I'm only 5'11" but the way the ergonomics are set up, I get pain in my hips due to the forward setting in the pegs.
  • Big one - it has a tendency to backfire when you're engine braking. The common consensus is this is because it's a single cylinder, but more message board searching has got me convinced it's because the spring they use to control airflow on the carb is too tight and it lets in too much air. Asking the PO about it is a pretty good indicator to how much thought they've put into keeping the thing maintained.

All in all, I like it. I'll ride it on weekends with her until we re-take the MSF (she dropped it in a parking lot and is gunshy) and after I actually get it serviced, I'm confident it'll last her a while.

Well Played Mauer fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Mar 13, 2013

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Just to save other folks the clicking: their kits run $2500 plus to convert an S40, but they do look pretty cool.

I've been thinking about getting a single-cylinder something for my next bike eventually, either a supermoto or something like a Ryca-converted S40.

Part of the reason why the kit costs $2500 is that they cut down the tank so it's smaller, cut a notch in the swingarm and respoke both rear wheels to 18" so you can run lower-profile tires that look better on a cafe bike. The kit literally includes everything you need apart from tools, all brand-new parts including a fibreglass seat+hump, which would take some work to DIY.

I bet you can do it for less than half of what their kit costs if you are OK with hunting around for used or junkyard parts and making up your own kind of thing. If I had a garage of my own, I would probably be converting an S40 right now.

vwman18
Jul 30, 2005

bah weep graaagnah wheep ni ni bong
After much hemming and hawing, I pulled the trigger on my first bike today.

It's a 2001 Yamaha Vstar 650 Classic. 18k miles, looks brand new! Came with Vance & Hines pipes, and all the accessories. Not sure I'm a big fan of the studded bags and backrest, but I can always switch them out. I took the MSF a few weeks ago, but that was the sum total of my motorcycling experience. Getting it home was fun! It was an 18 mile drive on US1, traffic wasn't bad but I was still a bit nervous getting on the road for the first time. I made it home fine though I did stall it once, I thought I was in first but I wasn't. Once I relaxed a bit I had a crap-ton of fun on the drive. I'm going to get it registered tomorrow and start driving around the neighborhood asap. My wife followed me home and said I looked pretty hot on the bike. Getting looks from the ladies already!

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
A buddy of mine found a vstar 650 that a guy laid over and is too scared to ride again so he's selling it. Apparently the cover for the oil is cracked (not sure how easily that happens) and I'm wondering what other kind of damage I should look for, and how cheap/easy it would be to repair?

Or should I just steer clear altogether? This would be my first bike, and I don't mine putting in a bit of work if I can get it cheap (and get on two faster which I am itching to do) but I don't want to inherit a headache either.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

spixxor posted:

A buddy of mine found a vstar 650 that a guy laid over and is too scared to ride again so he's selling it. Apparently the cover for the oil is cracked (not sure how easily that happens) and I'm wondering what other kind of damage I should look for, and how cheap/easy it would be to repair?

Or should I just steer clear altogether? This would be my first bike, and I don't mine putting in a bit of work if I can get it cheap (and get on two faster which I am itching to do) but I don't want to inherit a headache either.

Without seeing pics it's impossible to say how much work you'd be looking at. A clutch cover (if that is what got cracked) is generally not a big deal on most bikes. You'd want to make sure the parts on the engine that got busted up are replaceable. If the block got damaged you'll be pretty screwed (in general). Other stuff that would be 'bad' is bent forks or busted wheels - the amount of force it takes to do that means other stuff may have been twisted up in the process.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Hooray I bought a bike!!

... oh. :( Maybe tomorrow?

karms fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 14, 2013

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250 (abs)
Black
15.000 km/ 9.000mls
Some doodads

This thing... it's the poo poo. Maybe because my last bike was 17 year old floppy carber but this thing is crisp. Runs smooth as butter, thanks to the efi. You literally cannot tell what gear you are in, it has that much torque. The seating is really good too: lots of space but with a welcome little forward lean. I do not dislike the exhaust either.

On the fence: no screen. It does help quite a bit with regards to the wind noise, but at highway speeds I catch all of the wind like a condom. That is also not unlike the sound I make when this thing hits 88.

Dislikes: Those mirrors. They work but jeez they look janky as hell.

Future mods: RIMTAPE MOTHERFUCKER

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Nice, torque is fun. I was eyeing those 1250s before I picked up the Uly.

For mirrors, Aprilia Tuono units are inexpensive - $25-ish per I think. Plus as a bonus they look good and work really well.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Before I read your whole post I thought "The only thing I'd change is the mirrors maybe", then I got to the bottom.

I like it a lot, I think people here have called them 'turbo sofas'?

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Supposed to go this weekend with a buddy of mine to help him get a new CBR250. He wants it to commute 100 miles to work roundtrip instead of driving his truck (V8 Dodge Ram that gets -20mpg it seems). I talked to the local dealer a week ago and he was willing to do around $3500 out the door for a 2012 without the abs and around $3900 OTD for an abs model. I'm going to see if we can get him down farther since my buddy will have about 2k in cash on him.

Any advice on dealing with dealers? It's his first time, not mine but it never hurts to ask.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

clutchpuck posted:

For mirrors, Aprilia Tuono units are inexpensive - $25-ish per I think. Plus as a bonus they look good and work really well.

Thanks! I'll keep a look out. :)

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

Supposed to go this weekend with a buddy of mine to help him get a new CBR250. He wants it to commute 100 miles to work roundtrip instead of driving his truck (V8 Dodge Ram that gets -20mpg it seems). I talked to the local dealer a week ago and he was willing to do around $3500 out the door for a 2012 without the abs and around $3900 OTD for an abs model. I'm going to see if we can get him down farther since my buddy will have about 2k in cash on him.

Any advice on dealing with dealers? It's his first time, not mine but it never hurts to ask.

My new bike (Triumph Street Triple) will be here next week and I will be selling my 2012 red CBR250 with ABS. I could do $3600 and you won't have to pay taxes, delivery etc. Less than 3k miles on it.

It has the most minor of scratches on the muffler where a drunk girl half tipped into a car.

I love that bike. I might cry a little if you buy it.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Stugazi posted:

My new bike (Triumph Street Triple) will be here next week and I will be selling my 2012 red CBR250 with ABS. I could do $3600 and you won't have to pay taxes, delivery etc. Less than 3k miles on it.

It has the most minor of scratches on the muffler where a drunk girl half tipped into a car.

I love that bike. I might cry a little if you buy it.

Sending PM

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Didn't you just buy a VFR, like, a week ago?

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Sagebrush posted:

Didn't you just buy a VFR, like, a week ago?

Not looking for me, buddy is about to get his first street bike for commuting to work. I've pushed him down from a 600 to a cbr 250 and he's scheduling his MSF in about 2-3 weeks. He's been riding dirtbikes his whole life and raced a good bit.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

Xovaan posted:

Around here it costs $1100 + utilities for a (dumpy) studio with no garage. :geno:

Just got a 2 bedroom plus garage in chicago for $825.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
I am taking delivery of a Triumph Street Triple in black next week. I didn't get the R.

I made a jump to a much sportier bike than I expected but I liked the Triumph and had the opportunity to get a really screaming deal from a friend in the industry so I went for it. I will be treating this bike like I've never ridden before as it's nothing like my Honda. TBH, I am a bit scared of the power and before the safety police berate me for making a 4x jump in HP let me just say I ALREADY KNOW and I will be granny riding it for a long while.

If Ponies doesn't jump on buying the CBR I may keep the Honda until I feel skilled enough to make a full time transition.

Stugazi fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 15, 2013

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Giblet Plus! posted:

You're going to have to tell me where. It's looking more and more like I'll be moving there this summer.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

Safety Dance posted:

You're going to have to tell me where. It's looking more and more like I'll be moving there this summer.

Brighton Park. It's a very affordable and safe neighborhood. Not hip at all like Lincoln Park, Wicker Park or Lakeview.

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?

Stugazi posted:

I am taking delivery of a Triumph Street Triple in black next week. I didn't get the R.

I made a jump to a much sportier bike than I expected but I liked the Triumph and had the opportunity to get a really screaming deal from a friend in the industry so I went for it. I will be treating this bike like I've never ridden before as it's nothing like my Honda. TBH, I am a bit scared of the power and before the safety police berate me for making a 4x jump in HP let me just say I ALREADY KNOW and I will be granny riding it for a long while.

If Ponies doesn't jump on buying the CBR I may keep the Honda until I feel skilled enough to make a full time transition.

I moved from a VTR250 to an STR675, and the 4x power increase seriously isn't an issue as long as you've learned some semblance of throttle control. Never really understood why people were always so terrified of going from a 250 to a 600-class bike. Just don't whack the throttle open and you'll be fine.

Shouting Melon fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 15, 2013

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Giblet Plus! posted:

t:mad:t

I can't wait to move back in with my parents. This whole being independent thing sucks. :argh:

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

I want to try a Bandit 1250 so bad. I want a bike with the torque of my ZX14 but without all the plastic or neck-pain inducing posture.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

How do the 1250's compare to the 1200's?

PS everybody should own a Bandit.

edit: not a Bandit 600 though. God that thing is anemic as gently caress. If it weren't so tall and heavy I'd say it would make a better starter bike than a Ninja 250.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Xovaan posted:

There's a review here, but I don't agree at all with their assesment that the 1250 is snatchy.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Xovaan posted:

PS everybody should own a Bandit.

edit: not a Bandit 600 though. God that thing is anemic as gently caress. If it weren't so tall and heavy I'd say it would make a better starter bike than a Ninja 250.

I'm on a Bandit 600 as my first bike. It's a little bit top-heavy, but it's not that bad. I also resent the statement that it's anemic as gently caress. Mine's still hella fast enough for me.

E: VVVV I've been riding it since summer 2010, I'd say I'm reasonably comfortable on it by now :)

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 15, 2013

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Anecdote for people looking at first bikes: I too had a bandit 600 as my first bike. It's ok, but my second bike is a BMW f650cs and now I see what everyone is saying about getting a small, light first bike. I never dropped the bandit, but I took corners slower than snot because I wasn't comfortable with the weight. On my BMW I have little problem swinging it around.

The bandit won't kill you as a first bike, but it may take you some time to get comfortable on it.

savesthedayrocks fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 16, 2013

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

I'm on a Bandit 600 as my first bike. It's a little bit top-heavy, but it's not that bad. I also resent the statement that it's anemic as gently caress. Mine's still hella fast enough for me.

E: VVVV I've been riding it since summer 2010, I'd say I'm reasonably comfortable on it by now :)

drat, thought you were riding longer! Summer 2011 here. :hfive:

I love my friend's B6 (the yellow one) but it had no passing power when I took it up to Palomar. Might be due to other issues with it though. :raise:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Monkey Wrangler posted:

We got an S40...

Good:
... You feel like you're riding something from a previous era.

Bad:
... You feel like you're riding something from a previous era.

Considering most of the design is about as old as the Space Shuttle, you pretty much are riding something from a previous era.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

clutchpuck posted:

Considering most of the design is about as old as the Space Shuttle, you pretty much are riding something from a previous era.

That's a neat way of putting it. My bike is built with technology from the Apollo program era. :c00l:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Sagebrush posted:

That's a neat way of putting it. My bike is built with technology from the Apollo program era. :c00l:

SPACE AGE TECHNOLOGY!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Are there any other sub 400 pound cruisers you guys could recommend that could get anywhere close to interstate speeds? I hate that if you want a crusier riding position you have to get a giant motorcycle. The S40 seems attractive to me because there are tons of them, they seems easy to tweak and I can probably get one for pretty cheap.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
The Rebel 250 can hit 85-90 and weighs 320 (wet I think).

edit: maybe just 80 top

hayden. fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 15, 2013

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

ADINSX posted:

Are there any other sub 400 pound cruisers you guys could recommend that could get anywhere close to interstate speeds? I hate that if you want a crusier riding position you have to get a giant motorcycle. The S40 seems attractive to me because there are tons of them, they seems easy to tweak and I can probably get one for pretty cheap.

Why do you care about sub 400? Are you going to bench it? It's a motorcycle.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Kawasaki Vulcan VN500. It uses the Ninja 500 motor, and for a cruiser it is pretty dang nimble. It's a little over 400 lbs though.

Honda Magna V30/VF500C. It uses the baby VF, which is AWESOME fun to rev up and has more go than you'd think. This was my wife's first ride, she loved it until it started needing work. It's a little over 400 lbs though.

I wouldn't be super concerned about the weight being under 400 though. A 480lb cruiser isn't going to feel or handle a whole lot differently than a 380lb model, except for when standing still on a hill.

You're right about the Savage S40, they're everywhere, cheap, and easy to work with. It's a pretty good choice.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Backov posted:

Why do you care about sub 400? Are you going to bench it? It's a motorcycle.

Something lighter might be unwieldy at high speeds due to wind and something heavier might be too much for a novice rider.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Sagebrush posted:

Mine's pre-NASA. I win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..

hayden. posted:

The Rebel 250 can hit 85-90 and weighs 320 (wet I think).

edit: maybe just 80 top

I wouldn't recommend the Rebel over the S40. They both do about the same top speed before shaking themselves apart. At least the S40 has some torque to play with.