Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
He's still a vampire with a bunch of extra hit dice and magical items. Even without spells that's a hell of a fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

greatn posted:

Are his spells necessarily gone? Thor already granted them for the day. Surely he wouldn't be granting some more if he asked, but he already handed those spells over. Does the inconvenience of a little bit of death take that away? Is Thor even paying attention?

Not that he has anything left memorized anyway. He does have a Thor's Might(if he still had his spells) a vampire with that would be a pretty good melee monster.

Considering he actually died, and I think you have to rest and re-up your spells after you return to life in any way, I don't think he'll have spells.

That might be a house-rule of my father's, though; he was my first DM and I've carried the rule on into any game I've DMed, and it's never come up in a game DMed by someone else.

e: vv It mainly comes up when the mage dies in a random encounter due to bad luck and the group heads back to town instead of onward to revive him, and he wants to know if he kept all his spells or not.

razorrozar fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 16, 2013

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah dying and being brought back to life thirty seconds later is such an unlikely scenario I don't think it's ever come up before in any game I've played in.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
According to 3.5e,

Raise Dead posted:

[A] character who died with spells prepared has a 50% chance of losing any given spell upon being raised, in addition to losing spells for losing a level. A spellcasting creature that doesn’t prepare spells (such as a sorcerer) has a 50% chance of losing any given unused spell slot as if it had been used to cast a spell, in addition to losing spell slots for losing a level.

Resurrection posted:

Upon completion of the spell, the creature is immediately restored to full hit points, vigor, and health, with no loss of prepared spells. However, the subject loses one level, or 2 points of Constitution if the subject was 1st level.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
So you lose spells (percent chance) on Raise Dead.

Good thing Durkon wasn't raised!

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

The real problem isn't that he's now a vampire, the problem is that he's a vampire that looks like your buddy. :(

Mocha Frost
May 1, 2006

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

The real problem isn't that he's now a vampire, the problem is that he's a vampire that looks like your buddy. :(

Except, they just have to look at the speech bubbles to see that he's evil. That and the eyes.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Mocha Frost posted:

Except, they just have to look at the speech bubbles to see that he's evil. That and the eyes.

I don't think his concern was over them not realizing, I think the concern was the emotional impact of fighting a monster that looks like your dead friend.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

greatn posted:

So you lose spells (percent chance) on Raise Dead.

Good thing Durkon wasn't raised!

Dude was almost out of spells anyway. Had nothing left over 4th level, and had used a fair chunk of those below.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Mocha Frost posted:

Just because he's evil doesn't mean he isn't still their friend. The OotS aren't Miko.

ConfusedUs posted:

Dude was almost out of spells anyway. Had nothing left over 4th level, and had used a fair chunk of those below.

I went and checked, and Durkon does have spells above 4th level, but he comments that the ceiling is too low for Thor's Might, and he doesn't have ten minutes for the casting time of Planar Ally. He has at least one 5th and 6th level spell, and likely a few others in his 5th and 6th spell slots, but none of them were useful for combat.

-EDIT-
Not that its terribly important, however being able to summon a Planar Ally and a vampire with Thor's Might could be a deadly combo for the Order to face. Unlikely to happen, though.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 16, 2013

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Who What Now posted:

Just because he's evil doesn't mean he isn't still their friend. The OotS aren't Miko.

I went and checked, and Durkon does have spells above 4th level, but he comments that the ceiling is too low for Thor's Might, and he doesn't have ten minutes for the casting time of Planar Ally. He has at least one 5th and 6th level spell, and likely a few others in his 5th and 6th spell slots, but none of them were useful for combat.

-EDIT-
Not that its terribly important, however being able to summon a Planar Ally and a vampire with Thor's Might could be a deadly combo for the Order to face. Unlikely to happen, though.

Yo Order of the Stick here's a Barbed Devil to help me out and his summoned Barbed Devil Friend.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Hey maybe he could summon planar ally Nale's girlfriend. (he can't actually, and Malack wouldn't want to help Nale anyway)

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice
Beeen a while since I played 3.5 but I thought once you died you lost all remaining spells for the day?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

spoon daddy posted:

Beeen a while since I played 3.5 but I thought once you died you lost all remaining spells for the day?

You don't. If you are raised you have 50% chance. If you are Resurrected you just don't lose them. I would say being vamped is closer to being resurrected then raised.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Hmm, the lich template specifically says a lich can cast any spells it could when alive, but the vampire template does not.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
I'd say a problem is more that a cleric gets his powers from his god, and if he pisses him off enough the god can cut it all off. A formerly good cleric turned into a vampire would have to pick a new god before he can cast any spells or channel energy.
But Durkon was already a competent fighter before, now he has +2 to +6 on all attributes, an at-will dominate, damage reduction, resistance, fast healing etc

peak debt fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 19, 2013

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Would Thor even notice before the day is through? Ehh, there's so many ways that the specifics can go that its pointless to speculate.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
This may not mean anything per the rules, but in Forgotten Realms when Lloth went and hosed off to the Demonweb Pits and stopped giving her clerics any new spells or powers, the clerics could still cast the spells they had previously prepared, as well as any scrolls or spell-trigger items they had. Obviously as time went on such items became increasingly more precious, and very few preistesses had spells of their own, if any at all. So Durkon might keep his spells, but be unable to get new ones.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I think the transfer to Hel hook has already been placed, but beyond that I feel like Rich has gone enough out of D&D that it's hard to guess based on game rules.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

Spiderdrake posted:

I think the transfer to Hel hook has already been placed, but beyond that I feel like Rich has gone enough out of D&D that it's hard to guess based on game rules.

I think Durkin mentions that no one really worships her, so I'd be interested in seeing who else he has for our vampire cleric.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

pinegala posted:

I think Durkin mentions that no one really worships her, so I'd be interested in seeing who else he has for our vampire cleric.

Hel seems like such a good fit. Especially if Rich goes with the older style of vampire that creeps in night after night and makes people slowly waste away in their beds. That would be about the worst way to die for a norse-themed dwarf.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Mniot posted:

Hel seems like such a good fit. Especially if Rich goes with the older style of vampire that creeps in night after night and makes people slowly waste away in their beds. That would be about the worst way to die for a norse-themed dwarf.

Plus she's gotten more screen time than any other of the Norse pantheon besides Loki and Thor himself...and that screen time's all been in this book. I'd say Rich's been setting up a switch to Hel, alright.

I have the best taste in this whole damn place
Golly, I wonder if Rich is okay. :ohdearsmiley:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

jng2058 posted:

Plus she's gotten more screen time than any other of the Norse pantheon besides Loki and Thor himself...and that screen time's all been in this book. I'd say Rich's been setting up a switch to Hel, alright.

Although it could just be setup for an epic battle for Durkon's soul.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Man, that string of nine daily comics spoiled me rotten. I can't deal with this schedule anymore!

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

my dad posted:

Although it could just be setup for an epic battle for Durkon's soul.

Hmmm. That's possible too.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Message posted:

Last time we abused that power he sliced his thumb open.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Message posted:

You know, I can post Goblins if you want. There's a particularly awful page, even by Thunt standards. But that's not really what you want, is it?

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Niton posted:

You know, I can post Goblins if you want. There's a particularly awful page, even by Thunt standards. But that's not really what you want, is it?

I went to check out of curiosity. Good lord, OotS's wordiest comics have nothing, absolutely nothing on Goblins' wall of :words:

Cauldron Moose
Dec 25, 2010

Actually a duck
:siren:New OOTS! #881, Temporary Weakness :siren:

I am *really* starting to like Belkar. I never used to that much, but he is fast becoming my favourite character.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Cauldron Moose posted:

:siren:New OOTS! #881, Temporary Weakness :siren:

I am *really* starting to like Belkar. I never used to that much, but he is fast becoming my favourite character.

Yup. This is an amazing Belkar moment.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

:drat:

Belkar owned Roy so hard.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Colonial Air Force posted:

:drat:

Belkar owned Roy so hard.

I'd empty quote this if I could.

And I felt sorry for Belkar with that last line. It IS what be brings to the table, but...maybe we're past "pretending to care" and slowly inching our way towards "caring in a cold, heartless manner."

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
That was easily 2d6 of ice burn.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

CobiWann posted:

I'd empty quote this if I could.

And I felt sorry for Belkar with that last line. It IS what be brings to the table, but...maybe we're past "pretending to care" and slowly inching our way towards "caring in a cold, heartless manner."

We certainly are, the thing is that in comic-time this change literally happened yesterday so Roy has every reason to still consider Belkar a monster.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Elan looks so wounded when Roy tells him his spellcasting abilities (and him personally) don't count for anything.

Roy in breakdown/meltdown mode isn't very pretty. Belkar was 100% right to call him out.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Alchenar posted:

We certainly are, the thing is that in comic-time this change literally happened yesterday so Roy has every reason to still consider Belkar a monster.

Yesterday? Didn't the change happen back in Cliffport? Surely they've been in the deary kingdom longer than a day.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

FMguru posted:

Elan looks so wounded when Roy tells him his spellcasting abilities (and him personally) don't count for anything.

Roy in breakdown/meltdown mode isn't very pretty. Belkar was 100% right to call him out.

Can you blame him, though? He just lost his oldest friend in a way that's worse than death. Sure, Belkar's verbal pimp-slap was entirely necessary, but it's unreasonably to expect Roy to have his head in a good place right now.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
All pep talk asides, Roy still has a point. When the Linear Guild attacks, there really isn't much they can do t this point. I mean, I love it when OotS goes out of its way to show that D&D rules aren't everything, but right now, they are kind of hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

greatn posted:

Yesterday? Didn't the change happen back in Cliffport? Surely they've been in the deary kingdom longer than a day.

No that was 'pretend to be good'. The actual change happened in the arena (which was 'yesterday').

You'll notice that while Roy and Belkar are in prison Belkar is evil evil to the other prisoners right in front of Roy.