Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I honestly wouldn't be crossed if they offered an Ambassador program on the Wii U. :ninja:
Isn't that basically what the 30 cent promotion is? I wish that they did more than just one game a month though, and that they continued the promotion post-VC launch.

Again though going back to the indie thing, if you had a bunch of indie games on the eShop and then you gave redeem codes to the developers, they can turn around and do a Humble Wii U Bundle, make a lot of money, set a precedent for the Wii U being home to super cheap digital sales, and turn some heads. Plus, content. Content. They need content!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Countblanc posted:

Why would it not sell "no matter what"?

Gah, I didn't mean to use "know", I'm too tired. I meant to say "maybe they're convinced it won't sell no matter what".

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Don't worry, we'll get Zen Pinball 2 on the NA eshop someday... maybe... :smith:

Here's some great *games journalism*

40% increase in sales this month warrents this headline: Wii U Could be Nintendo's first flop

30% increase in sales for the vita gives us: Sony Playstation Vita roars back to life.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

pixaal posted:

Speaking of Virtual Console I can't FIND the VC market place in the eShop. I only can find the F-Zero Promotion they are doing. You'd be crazy not to pick it up for 30 cents.

That's all there is right now

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

katkillad2 posted:

40% increase in sales this month warrents this headline: Wii U Could be Nintendo's first flop

This months numbers are still terrible. They're just not as awful as last month's. and from that PSV article there's this paragraph

quote:

Over the coming weeks, Nintendo is going to hit back hard — the new “Luigi’s Mansion” game for 3DS already has strong buzz and a glowing review from Famitsu. It will no doubt give the 3DS a substantial hardware sales advantage after it debuts.

So I'm not even sure you can argue that they just have it out for Nintendo.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

katkillad2 posted:

Don't worry, we'll get Zen Pinball 2 on the NA eshop someday... maybe... :smith:

30% increase in sales for the vita gives us: Sony Playstation Vita roars back to life.

You have to understand the difference here, and the relative difference. It's not just bogeymanning.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Nobody has it out for Nintendo, they're just reporting numbers that are objectively bad.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

I'm not saying the numbers for either were good. How can one be flopping horribly and the other be roaring back to life in this similar scenario?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

katkillad2 posted:

I'm not saying the numbers for either were good. How can one be flopping horribly and the other be roaring back to life in this similar scenario?
Probably because one is a console and one is a handheld portable and in the Japanese region the Vita was at one point selling in the 4 digits

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Also, you're comparing software with hardware.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

katkillad2 posted:

The Vita article is about a 600% increase in sales that was maintained after the initial price drop.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Games journalism is bad, true. Even if it did get better overnight, fans would be just as likely to keep misinterpreting facts in order to concoct some sort of narrative where everyone is being mean to their favorite company.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

greatn posted:

Also, you're comparing software with hardware.

No i'm not, just because it mentions software in the article doesn't mean that's what i'm comparing.

ghostwritingduck posted:

The Vita article is about a 600% increase in sales that was maintained after the initial price drop.

My mistake was that article is mentioning Japan sales for one week, here is the comment from the NPD release:

quote:

Wii U and PS Vita demonstrated some momentum from the typical January hardware lull with increases of over 40 percent and 30 percent, respectively," he said.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

katkillad2 posted:

No i'm not, just because it mentions software in the article doesn't mean that's what i'm comparing.

My mistake was that article is mentioning Japan sales for one week, here is the comment from the NPD release:

A 40% increase over a 30% increase is impressive exclusively in the case where the percentages are of the same number. Journalistic spin aside, it's possible the percentages and the headlines can be true at the same time.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

katkillad2 posted:

They confirmed it'd be out next week.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

katkillad2 posted:

Because the Vita already is firmly established as a flop BUT the PSP had similar problems in Japan but came back to take weekly leads eventually.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Louisgod posted:

Yup. People remember the legacy and transition of upgrading from the NES to the SNES and Nintendo could've recaptured that same energy but they had to go with a stupid name like WEEEEYUUUU instead. Lost opportunity.

Except the went the opposite and tried to expand on a silly joke that nobody cared for.

"Guys! let's make our console sound like "WE!" this way we can say things like "We want to play!" and now let's add a "You" to it to remind the players that they can play too!"

farfromsleep
Sep 16, 2012

space cat wannabe

katkillad2 posted:

It could be over 25gb, but unless they were lazy about things that can be compressed I doubt it. Games that can fit on the Wii U basic's remaining hard drive space do not have a warning on the eshop. Games that go over that say "Hey if you have a basic, you need an external for this game." I would assume if a game goes over the deluxe available space you'd see a warning saying you need an external... I just can't imagine the first game that would require an external hard drive would be Lego City even though I guess it's possible :psyduck:
With the separate download/install process for eShop purchases, don't they require double the actual install size in free space? Or did they do something smarter with that? If not, I could easily imagine LCU requiring an external drive even for the deluxe models.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Wait does a Wii U game really take eight hours to download? I was planning on getting Monster Hunter at from the e-shop at midnight, but now I'm having second thoughts.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

Wait does a Wii U game really take eight hours to download? I was planning on getting Monster Hunter at from the e-shop at midnight, but now I'm having second thoughts.

It depends. But really, set it up to download and go to sleep. You can play it when you get home from work.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Assassin's creed is like 18GB its a loving beast. Monster hunter is 3.4GB or so. It'll take about 2-3 hours, maybe 4. Sonic Racing took me about 4.5 hours to download and about 20 minutes to install at 5.8G. It might be slow but do you NEED to hunt at midnight? You will probably play Monster Hunter on and off. You will save time not having to search for the disc over and over again. It will always be on your system. I HATE switching discs. The only games I'm going to buy retail are games I plan on playing quickly, I'll buy them used then resell them. Anything I plan on keeping is going to be on my console.

It is up to you in the end how you want to handle it, but unless you are going to a midnight release for the game its pointless since you can still play your wiiU while it downloads (installation requires complete system resources so I imagine the install is using the dedicated RAM for the game to install as a temp disc or something and unpacking in 1-2GB "chunks")

If you aren't doing the midnight think at retail its quicker to just pop on at midnight if you are up already hit download and go to bed or play more Mario.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Or just buy a hard copy on the way home from work and save yourself 8 hours of patience, bandwidth and power running your console.

I really don't see why anybody could see how Nintendo's current system of digital distribution is acceptable in any way, in its current form. Sure, if there's no brick and mortar in your town that sells games (which would be pretty hard to come by, a town without even a Walmart), then you have no other choice. But 8 hours to download a game that would take an hour on the same connection from a different marketplace is bonkers.

But you know, different strokes and all that, I guess. But hopefully if enough people would vote with their wallets, Nintendo would get their poo poo together.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

Or just buy a hard copy on the way home from work and save yourself 8 hours of patience, bandwidth and power running your console.

I really don't see why anybody could see how Nintendo's current system of digital distribution is acceptable in any way, in its current form. Sure, if there's no brick and mortar in your town that sells games (which would be pretty hard to come by, a town without even a Walmart), then you have no other choice. But 8 hours to download a game that would take an hour on the same connection from a different marketplace is bonkers.

But you know, different strokes and all that, I guess. But hopefully if enough people would vote with their wallets, Nintendo would get their poo poo together.

Have you ever bought a digital game on the Xbox before? I bought Metal Gear Solid HD 2/3 last week, and the 9GB download easily took four hours to finish. Nintendo isn't that far behind the curve at all.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well hard copies suck is the main problem. If you're gonna work for eight hours anyway, you can have the same game downloaded in that time. I don't have to agree the digital download speeds are good to still prefer them.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Yah I guess I'll just go with the start it and go to sleep method, seeing as I get Tuesdays off. Unless the e-shop craps out or something.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

deadwing posted:

Have you ever bought a digital game on the Xbox before? I bought Metal Gear Solid HD 2/3 last week, and the 9GB download easily took four hours to finish. Nintendo isn't that far behind the curve at all.

Do you get those speeds on pc? I've got full games on both 360 and PS3, and the only times it took me that long (or longer) is back when I had a fat PS3 that was notorious for slow speeds and while on a slow connection.

All this depends on your connection speed, mind. I wanna say it took me about half the time to update my Wii U's firmware out of the box as it did most people when everybody first got theirs. I don't have crazy internet, either, just a medium package from Comcast.

But if people are legit waiting 8 hours to download AC3 (almost the amount of time it takes to beat AC3), then I dunno how they're putting up with it. At some point it has to be more convenient to just buy a disc.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Soul Glo posted:

But if people are legit waiting 8 hours to download AC3 (almost the amount of time it takes to beat AC3), then I dunno how they're putting up with it. At some point it has to be more convenient to just buy a disc.
Does anyone just wait to download large games on anything? The Wii U can run downloads in the background. I don't even sit around waiting for the relatively fast downloads on Steam.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Chaltab posted:

Does anyone just wait to download large games on anything? The Wii U can run downloads in the background. I don't even sit around waiting for the relatively fast downloads on Steam.

The issue is that there's nothing better to do on the WiiU while it downloads. Staring at a bar beats staring at your copy of Mario U collecting dust.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Bobnumerotres posted:

The issue is that there's nothing better to do on the WiiU while it downloads. Staring at a bar beats staring at your copy of Mario U collecting dust.
If you have a copy of Mario U, then why not play it? Or just let they system sit and do something else like sleep or complain about things on the internet?

Like, I'm not even defending the length of the eShop download speeds, I'm just saying, who sits and watches a progress bar in the year of our Lord 2013?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Really I've just been using the Wii-U as a Wii. There's a load of games that are dropping in price now from the original that are seriously worth getting at $5-$10 bucks. Fragile Dreams, Harvest Moon Animal Parade, Sky Crawlers, Dragon's Lair Trilogy, Trauma Center, Trauma Team, and Phantom brave.

Also Excite Truck is like 7 bucks at most Gamestops.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Bobnumerotres posted:

Man, I HATE how TVs have only one input channel.

WendigoJohnson posted:

Also Excite Truck is like 7 bucks at most Gamestops.

Excitebots is pretty good too!

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

Man, I HATE how TVs have only one input channel.

Background downloads are a thing this generation :ssh:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Chasiubao posted:

Background downloads are a thing this generation :ssh:

Please tell me you're not being serious. :thejoke:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Oh, come on, have you ever known me to crack wise? :jerkbag:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Soul Glo posted:

I'm pretty sure if enough people vote with their wallets, Nintendo would simply reduce support for Wii U digital distribution going forward and write it off as a failure and focus on the successfull 3DS eShop instead.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

It took more like 12 hours for me to get AC. I had flashbacks to 2400 baud modems and spending all night downloading Apogee titles off BBSes. Actually it was much less fun than that.

So I know Balloon Fight used to be on sale on the network but I've been waiting to buy it for 3 weeks and there's literally no option to purchase it. I loved Balloon Fight too :(. Anyone know what's going on with this?

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Zip posted:

So I know Balloon Fight used to be on sale on the network but I've been waiting to buy it for 3 weeks and there's literally no option to purchase it. I loved Balloon Fight too :(. Anyone know what's going on with this?

The 30 cent games are only available for one month each until the Virtual Console service is launched later, before the end of June.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Chronojam posted:

I'm pretty sure if enough people vote with their wallets, Nintendo would simply reduce support for Wii U digital distribution going forward and write it off as a failure and focus on the successfull 3DS eShop instead.

...or they'll just start doing what they're (allegedly) doing on 3DS and create artificial supply issues in order to "encourage" people to buy digitally.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

AngryCaterpillar posted:

The 30 cent games are only available for one month each until the Virtual Console service is launched later, before the end of June.

That is terrible news :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Chronojam posted:

Nintendo has been pretty much terrible at this whole internet-on-a-console thing since they released the Gamecube, and the lukewarm responses to their eShop on the 3DS and the Wii U haven't convinced them to stop being mediocre yet!

Kidding aside I'm pretty sure that they understand that online services are a little important to videogames these days, and they aren't going to give up just because they can't seem to get people excited over their current offerings (which I believe even they admit they could be doing better). If anything, them killing support of their Wii U eShop will do exactly no favors to the system that is already struggling in the west, it's not like they can rely on third party support to prop their poo poo up.

• Locked thread