Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
I remember somewhere on his formspring, Hussie said that Red Dwarf was one of the bigger influences on homestuck. Well, I can't find a clip on YouTube, but there's an episode, White Hole I think, where they pot planets in to a black hole like pool balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

senseinobu
Jul 28, 2008
I've been thinking about the whole Cherub reproduction thing and now I REALLLY want to read Calliope's fanfiction. I mean pairings of characters turning into giant immortal snakes and fighting each other sounds like it'd be an interesting read.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

krakagar posted:

I remember somewhere on his formspring, Hussie said that Red Dwarf was one of the bigger influences on homestuck. Well, I can't find a clip on YouTube, but there's an episode, White Hole I think, where they pot planets in to a black hole like pool balls.

Yeah, I was looking for it, too, and it delayed my posting. Great scene.

lotus circle posted:

Also another small tidbit: 12 planets are needed. We have four beta kids (John, Rose, Dave and Jade), four alpha kids (Jane, Roxy, Dirk and Jake) and four trolls who are travelling to the current session (Karkat, Gamzee, Kanaya and Terezi). Together they represent 11 of the 12 aspects, the one exception being Doom. Doom being a skull. :tinfoil:

Yep. And between the A2-trolls (Blue session), B1-humans (Red session) and B2-humans (Green session), they can combine to form, just like on a video game monitor, the color white. Which is the color of the Act 7 epilogue.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Bobulus posted:

Yep. And between the A2-trolls (Blue session), B1-humans (Red session) and B2-humans (Green session), they can combine to form, just like on a video game monitor, the color white. Which is the color of the Act 7 epilogue.

I can't remember where I read this or who said it, but it kinda shows up in Cascade, too, with the destruction of the universes. What do you get when you take away red and blue? You're left with green. (Green Sun, green B2 universe)

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I'm a tad confused by the three destroyed planets. True, three of LE's minions were already dead by the intermission, but Spades Slick showed via time travel that they had been alive and working for Lord English. I guess this could just be a callback, and it might be that like Doc Scratch, Lord English gets a set of Felt in each universe he's summoning into or what have you, so their deaths here are irrelevant. There's still a bit of mystery surrounding the Felt though.

k5josh
Nov 23, 2011

Bobulus posted:

B1-humans (Red session) and B2-humans (Green session)

Color Printer posted:

(Green Sun, green B2 universe)

You guys do know that B1 is green and B2 is red, right?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

k5josh posted:

The curtains of B1 (John's session) are red and B2 are green, and B1 is represented by red in a lot of places, including the Lord English virus code and Cascade, so I don't know why you think otherwise.

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Mar 16, 2013

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

k5josh posted:

B1 is red. Recall The Tumor from Cascade. There were two vials needed to activate the bomb. A red and a blue one. The two vials corresponded to the life of that universes. When Slick killed Snowman the blue vial went off (A2 universe dying) and when Bec Noir unleashed Red Miles on Bilious Slick the red vial went off (B1 universe dying).

Dolash posted:

I'm a tad confused by the three destroyed planets. True, three of LE's minions were already dead by the intermission, but Spades Slick showed via time travel that they had been alive and working for Lord English. I guess this could just be a callback, and it might be that like Doc Scratch, Lord English gets a set of Felt in each universe he's summoning into or what have you, so their deaths here are irrelevant. There's still a bit of mystery surrounding the Felt though.

:iiam:

Though I think it would make sense that The Felt would be a recurring entity if it came from Skaia. Like how Derse and Propsit are always in a session and so every session has a Jack Noir, a Black Queen, a White Queen and so on and so forth.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Dolash posted:

I think it's just one of those callbacks disguised as a universal constant. Whenever the Felt show up, they're down three to represent the break at the start of a game of pool.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Color Printer posted:

The curtains of B1 (John's session) are red and B2 are green, and B1 is represented by red in a lot of places, including the Lord English virus code and Cascade, so I don't know why you think otherwise.

Sweet Bro (Red, the kids) just wants to play a game (SBurb) but ends up falling down a bunch of stairs (disaster, Jack Noir). Hella Jeff (Blue, the trolls) watches, and proclaims to have warned Bro/the kids about such disaster, even if only ineffectively.

Later on, Hella Jeff, taking on the role of Lucy, the mischievous girl dressed in blue from peanuts (Terezi/Vriska) tricks Sweet Bro/Charlie Brown/John into playing a game (kick the football) which results in him flying off to his death by whirlybird (flying to Typheus' lair/stabbed by Jack Noir). Alternatively, the human's collective deaths due to the Troll's meddling.

Shortly after, Sweet Bro, in front of a green back ground (the Green Sun) gets riiiiiiiiiiiipppppppped! becoming super jacked, while Hella Jeff/the Trolls watch in amazement (the collective God-tiering of the humans), along with an admonishment from a more animal-featured Sweet Bro for Hella Jeff to 'stop yiffing my butt' (dog-tier Jade losing contact with the Trolls/Karkat?).

edit: Hella Jeff plays a sweet guitar solo (Vriska time)

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Mar 16, 2013

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Mazerunner posted:

Sweet Bro (Red, the kids) just wants to play a game (SBurb) but ends up falling down a bunch of stairs (disaster, Jack Noir). Hella Jeff (Blue, the trolls) watches, and proclaims to have warned Bro/the kids about such disaster, even if only ineffectively.

Later on, Hella Jeff, taking on the role of Lucy, the mischievous girl dressed in blue from peanuts (Terezi/Vriska) tricks Sweet Bro/Charlie Brown/John into playing a game (kick the football) which results in him flying off to his death by whirlybird (flying to Typheus' lair/stabbed by Jack Noir). Alternatively, the human's collective deaths due to the Troll's meddling.

Shortly after, Sweet Bro, in front of a green back ground (the Green Sun) gets riiiiiiiiiiiipppppppped! becoming super jacked, while Hella Jeff/the Trolls watch in amazement (the collective God-tiering of the humans), along with an admonishment from a more animal-featured Sweet Bro for Hella Jeff to 'stop yiffing my butt' (dog-tier Jade losing contact with the Trolls/Karkat?).

edit: Hella Jeff plays a sweet guitar solo (Vriska time)

This is the most beautiful "Let me tell you about Homestuck" I have ever had the pleasure of reading. :sbahj:

uranium grass fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Mar 16, 2013

k5josh
Nov 23, 2011

Color Printer posted:

lotus circle posted:

B1 is red. Recall The Tumor from Cascade. There were two vials needed to activate the bomb. A red and a blue one. The two vials corresponded to the life of that universes. When Slick killed Snowman the blue vial went off (A2 universe dying) and when Bec Noir unleashed Red Miles on Bilious Slick the red vial went off (B1 universe dying).

Ah, okay, fair enough. I was thinking this:

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Grrl Anachronism posted:

This is the most beautiful "Let me tell you about Homestuck" I have ever had the pleasure of reading. :sbahj:

Damnit I noticed I had the trolls mislabelled as the kids in the first paragraph, so you gotta fix your quote of me :colbert:

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
So each planet has a bomb in it for Caliborn's game. Three planets get removed at the start, and he has to clear all the others. B1 Earth had a bomb in it, and Beforus might have had some sort of bomb also. I wonder if this will ever be a relevant coincidence, even though we already know where B1 Earth eventually ended up.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Okay, I'm dumb and kinda lazy, just how many musical motifs are used in ESC? And which ones are they? I can recognize Doctor because it's been remixed a zillion times but I'm drawing blanks on most of the others.

Really what I'm getting from this is that I haven't listened to Homestuck music for hours at a time in a while.

k5josh
Nov 23, 2011

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Okay, I'm dumb and kinda lazy, just how many musical motifs are used in ESC? And which ones are they? I can recognize Doctor because it's been remixed a zillion times but I'm drawing blanks on most of the others.

Really what I'm getting from this is that I haven't listened to Homestuck music for hours at a time in a while.

English, Doctor, the ever-elusive Penumbral Phantasm, lots more others from the Felt album & elsewhere.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Doctor, English and Savior of the Waking World (which is just a Doctor remix) were the ones I heard.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Grrl Anachronism posted:

You know what I'm gonna do them ALL, so watch out for that.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I've long wished someone would do a serious analysis on the musical themes in Homestuck. So many characters have their own associated bits and pieces, and while I can sometimes recognize them there must be so many others flying under the radar.

What made Descend so effective all those years ago was the musical accompaniment had all these familiar themes weaved in, popping up at just the right time. I'd like to think we'll see more like that around the finale, but for them to work we'll have to actually know what different characters' themes are.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

FronzelNeekburm posted:

So each planet has a bomb in it for Caliborn's game. Three planets get removed at the start, and he has to clear all the others. B1 Earth had a bomb in it, and Beforus might have had some sort of bomb also. I wonder if this will ever be a relevant coincidence, even though we already know where B1 Earth eventually ended up.

B1 Earth did not have a bomb in it; the bomb was in the core of the Battlefield. There was definitely a bomb somewhere in A1, as it was what Meenah used to kill all the players. B2 Earth is the one that ended up being someplace else.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

k5josh posted:

English, Doctor, the ever-elusive Penumbral Phantasm, lots more others from the Felt album & elsewhere.

Aside from those three, Revelawesome (the one from the flash where John finds out Betty Crocker makes Fruit Gushers).

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dolash posted:

I've long wished someone would do a serious analysis on the musical themes in Homestuck. So many characters have their own associated bits and pieces, and while I can sometimes recognize them there must be so many others flying under the radar.

What made Descend so effective all those years ago was the musical accompaniment had all these familiar themes weaved in, popping up at just the right time. I'd like to think we'll see more like that around the finale, but for them to work we'll have to actually know what different characters' themes are.

One complicating factor is that some of the motifs that apparently were originally associated with one character or thing came to drift and be replaced with another. I'm probably going to be unable to stop myself from doing this once the comic is finished, though.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Mazerunner posted:

You know what I'm gonna do them ALL, so watch out for that.

Already did the first comic.

General confusion over where people's pants are and who is banging whose mom. Twofold importance 1)Jade asking where Jake's pants are (Jade is both Jake's genetic daughter and her alternate version his adoptive (grand)mother 2)ectobiology/the troll's general incestuousness. Possible hints at a troll-human female relationship? (...no probably not,,, but then again Rose/Kanaya and hints of Karkat/Jade... ugh gently caress no stop it)

Purple Jelly and asking how 'high' someone is, along with the alernating CAPS and no caps words are an obvious reference to Gamzee. Sweet Bro (kids) are the high ones/have been effected by Gamzee's chucklevoodoos. Hella Jeff/trolls don't understand why SB (sweet bro)/the kids do the things they do.

Barack "b-rock the islamic shock super-Allah" Obama (a powerful, but passive black guy! important!) with a blue diagram of the economy declining. The blue economy is the Troll's misfortune caused by Bec Noir. Hella Jeff/the kids reiterates their desire to play the game/sburb, even knowing the ruin experienced by HJ/the trolls. The squirrel (Jack Noir -> Bec Noir) hijacks the game. Another reference to 'highness'/Gamzee's influence. Hella Jeff/the Trolls/Vriska possibly learn a lesson about violence in games.

Hella Jeff and Sweet Bro/the trolls and kids bond over their shared experience of playing Sburb/sgrub. Alternatively references Dave and Terezi specifically.

The big game/sports in green font colour. The green sun? The big man (powerful, but silent observer who plays his own game on another level to the trolls + kids, dressed in yellow, on a yellow court, with a yellow ball) plays the game. The yellow court references the yellow yard that John and Jade cross, but who is the big man? No universe/player set in Homestuck has been yellow so far. (We'll come back to this. hint: lord english). HJ watches as the big man scores a slam-dunk. (possibly references Lord English's destruction/control of the A2 universe?)

Geromy (another silent, passive black man in yellow! still important!) is introduced. I really have no idea about the socks, but note that HJ escapes in a red car (the trolls escape with the kid's assistance) from a green field (green sun/domain of LE) watched over by Geromy(!) into a blue ocean (B2/domain of the kids, although B2 has been referenced as green). The ocean is also the furthest ring, filled with (dream)bubbles, as predicted by Charles Dutton, another black athlete (gently caress!).

SB/the kids do regular stuff (pouring milk) observed by HJ/the trolls who are interrupted by the squirrel/Bec Noir.

actually that's enough for now I have a test tomorrow morning.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Geromy might represent the joining of A1 and A2? If you look at the color wheel, Red and Green make Yellow.

As to what that might mean...well you got me. SBHJ is way too complicated to sort out next to Homestuck.

No.44
Dec 14, 2012

So now there's a black hole inside of the black hole that Caliborn created? :psyduck:

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

lotus circle posted:

Geromy might represent the joining of A1 and A2? If you look at the color wheel, Red and Green make Yellow.

As to what that might mean...well you got me. SBHJ is way too complicated to sort out next to Homestuck.

I think you mean B1 (red) and B2 (green)?

Another comic-

Hella Jeff (dead trolls/Meenah) stands on the yellow court in a dream (now the furthest ring), where he's the star (the dead characters become focused only on themselves). But then the big man (Lord English) comes and destroys them at hoops/blows up the bubbles. HJ/Meenah calls upon SB(the living kids and trolls, the dead) to help, but they decline and/or are useless.

Skipping ahead, Hella Jeff (now representing B2, due to the troll's earlier escape in the sock ruse bringing their blue with them) is interrupted by the big man who levels with us about AIDS. AIDS is protected against by SAFE SEX and/or ABSTINENCE. The big man sits on a red chair- the red sun and/or Gamzee.

To recap for this specific comic, the surviving/active kids and trolls (could be alive like Karkat and Dave, or dead like Vriska and Meenah) are blue.
Red now becomes 'not them', either those opposed to them (Gamzee) or simply useless (the other dead trolls).
Green is still the B2 universe itself, created through Doc Scratch's (very green) machinations, although the actual B2 kids might be blue.

Gamzee (now red, ie. the chair) also supports Caliborn (the big man).

As you said, Red and Green make yellow - the cherubs were born on B2 Earth (green) and raised by Gamzee (red), and they represent yellow, being the big man (Caliborn/LE) and Geromy (Calliope).

uh, things got a little out of whack here

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Dolash posted:

He can use Die's voodoo doll to go to an alternate timeline where they are still alive and take them back with him.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Ariong posted:

He can use Die's voodoo doll to go to an alternate timeline where they are still alive and take them back with him.

Well sure, but he also mentioned remembering that the Felt gang were half-effective when Crowbar was leading them, which sort of implies that he had fought Crowbar in the alpha timeline. That means that at some point, the Felt of the Intermission were a full set and working for Lord English. I think the idea that a full set of Felt is generated for each universe Doc Scratch occupies to be his agents probably makes sense, so that these Felt Caliborn meets are just the first iterations and a few of them dying in the break doesn't matter. Them being the same three dead in the intermission could just be a vague parallel without deeper meaning.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Dolash posted:

Well sure, but he also mentioned remembering that the Felt gang were half-effective when Crowbar was leading them, which sort of implies that he had fought Crowbar in the alpha timeline. That means that at some point, the Felt of the Intermission were a full set and working for Lord English. I think the idea that a full set of Felt is generated for each universe Doc Scratch occupies to be his agents probably makes sense, so that these Felt Caliborn meets are just the first iterations and a few of them dying in the break doesn't matter. Them being the same three dead in the intermission could just be a vague parallel without deeper meaning.

I think the intention was that Caliborn could use Die's power to retrieve the missing felt dudes.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

No.44 posted:

So now there's a black hole inside of the black hole that Caliborn created? :psyduck:
The other black hole is where Earth used to be. The black hole itself did not translate into the Medium. It simply acted as a way to get things into the Medium, just like this black hole is acting as a way to get things... somewhere else?

Funny twist if all of these planets are going where Earth used to be, right out the other black hole.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

k5josh posted:

The song is also reminiscent of this short piece Brown wrote foreverago:
http://homestuck.bandcamp.com/track/revelawesome-2

snucks fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Mar 16, 2013

Madoushi
May 9, 2003

Some days, you just get up on the wrong side of the bed...

senseinobu posted:

I've been thinking about the whole Cherub reproduction thing and now I REALLLY want to read Calliope's fanfiction. I mean pairings of characters turning into giant immortal snakes and fighting each other sounds like it'd be an interesting read.

:nws: Tumblr has you covered.

Calliope posted:

The Jake human pulled the Dirk human close, raising a hand to gently caress his cheek in a loving manner. (a/n: getting good, hUh? ^u^) As they stared into each other’s eyes, they knew that it was time. It was time to have human sex. They had researched it to total accuracy, and they knew exactly how human sex worked. It was very different from cherub sex, but they were confident that they knew what to do.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Seems more like something Caliborn would write than Calliope, I get the sense she would not write so stiffly.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Oh, no, I've seen Caliborn's attempt at writing fanfiction. It's much, much better.

quote:

THE JOHN HuMAN GOES OVER TO DAVE HuMANS HOME.

HE IS FAST ASLEEP.

HIS BRO IS THERE.

JOHN HuMAN SMILES AND SITS DOWN.

DAVE HuMAN FALLS ASLEEP IN HIS ROOM.

BRO SITS BESIDE HIM.

THEY EXCHANGE GLANCES.

BRO'S HAND MAKES IT WAY TO JOHN HuMANS.

HE BLuSHES.

BRO SMIRKED AND LEANED IN CLOSER.

JOHN HuMAN FROWNED.

BRO KISSED HIS CHEEK.

DAVE WOKE uP AND THE TWO SPLIT AS IF THAT PORNOGRAPHIC SCENE NEVER HAPPENED.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

frozentreasure posted:

Oh, no, I've seen Caliborn's attempt at writing fanfiction. It's much, much better.

I can't believe you just inlined that smut, what the hell man? :psyduck:

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

JT Jag posted:

The other black hole is where Earth used to be. The black hole itself did not translate into the Medium. It simply acted as a way to get things into the Medium, just like this black hole is acting as a way to get things... somewhere else?

Funny twist if all of these planets are going where Earth used to be, right out the other black hole.

They're at the end of this flash. http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=006011

Once a Koos
Mar 16, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Homestuck is a puzzle, but also a solution to a puzzle.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Once a Koos posted:

Homestuck is a puzzle, but also a solution to a puzzle.

What would we do without Koos, I want to know

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You know you don't have to say gently caress I mean wait what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

If Koos was serious about feeding SA money for no good reason, he'd keep buying the same avatar, too :colbert:

In case anyone was wondering, no, Caliborn's "true land" doesn't actually have a name.

Either that, or my timing is just poo poo :iiam: