Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Can anyone recommend a food grinder that can grind whole chickens bones and all.

Edit: Around or less than $300 would be awesome.

Etrips fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

Etrips posted:

Can anyone recommend a food grinder that can grind whole chickens bones and all.

Edit: Around or less than $300 would be awesome.

I use one of these for my chicken crushing needs.

Works well for other animals and humans too.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

The Midniter posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a digital kitchen scale? This one seems to have excellent reviews and it's only $25 plus free Prime shipping, and it goes down to 1 gram. I'm looking to start making my own bread and want to do it right and go by weight, not volume. Thoughts?

EDIT: Welp, shortly after I posted this I got a Groupon for this model and pulled the trigger. Reviews seem pretty favorable. Let's hope it works out!

For anyone else looking, I got the 11-lb OXO scale recommended in the OP (or somewhere in this thread anyway) and it is great. They just came out with a 22-lb version that is otherwise identical (and just as awesome):

http://www.oxo.com/p-1220-22-lb-food-scale-with-pull-out-display.aspx

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

The Midniter posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a digital kitchen scale? This one seems to have excellent reviews and it's only $25 plus free Prime shipping, and it goes down to 1 gram. I'm looking to start making my own bread and want to do it right and go by weight, not volume. Thoughts?

EDIT: Welp, shortly after I posted this I got a Groupon for this model and pulled the trigger. Reviews seem pretty favorable. Let's hope it works out!

Just wanted to say is that the first one, EatSmart Precision Pro, is quite hardy. I spilled hot water on it multiple times and just a 30 to an hour dry with the fan brings it back.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

PhazonLink posted:

Just wanted to say is that the first one, EatSmart Precision Pro, is quite hardy. I spilled hot water on it multiple times and just a 30 to an hour dry with the fan brings it back.

Thanks - I bought the one I did mostly for aesthetic reasons, since I could have gotten either for $25, so if the second one craps out for whatever reason I'll return it and get the one you recommend.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Choadmaster posted:

For anyone else looking, I got the 11-lb OXO scale recommended in the OP (or somewhere in this thread anyway) and it is great. They just came out with a 22-lb version that is otherwise identical (and just as awesome):

http://www.oxo.com/p-1220-22-lb-food-scale-with-pull-out-display.aspx

I saw a photo in the paper once where they had a row of like 10 of those OXO scales confiscated from some big drug lab bust. Clearly the best kind of endorsement.

Also I own one and they are pretty good.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Anyone have experience with wall mounted scales? I think it could work well in my kitchen, but I've never used one.
Anything to look out for?

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Where does the point of diminishing returns hit with a double boiler? I mean, I hate buying stuff that is obvious crap, but there seems like a huge gap in options between a 15 dollar piece of junk and a $300 Mauviel. I don't need to melt chocolate THAT much. Any recommendations on a reasonably priced double boiler?

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

TheQuietWilds posted:

Any recommendations on a reasonably priced double boiler?

Put a steel bowl on top of a pot. That's what I've always done.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

TheQuietWilds posted:

Where does the point of diminishing returns hit with a double boiler? I mean, I hate buying stuff that is obvious crap, but there seems like a huge gap in options between a 15 dollar piece of junk and a $300 Mauviel. I don't need to melt chocolate THAT much. Any recommendations on a reasonably priced double boiler?

http://www.amazon.com/T-fal-A909969...s=double+boiler

$25, and pretty good reviews. Honestly though a bowl and pot of water does do the trick.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

TheQuietWilds posted:

If you're buying any double-boiler at all you're already in diminishing returns territory - follow GigaFool's advice.

If you really feel you need one, though, there's no reason not to go crappy (though if you're using induction be careful that it's compatible)- the heat distribution of the metal does not loving matter. Think of it like a stockpot.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I asked this lots of pages ago, but opinions on copper pans, round deux?

I really want some new cookware - I think I ruled out the stainless lined copper due to cleaning hassles. I looked at all-clad's copper core line, and the pans themselves look perfect, but goddamn if all-clad pans don't have the worst loving handles I've ever seen. they were painful to hoist just with the instore demo units - I can't imagine trying to flip a pan full of food or something. calphalon has some similar line, but it was more expensive and didn't have nice rolled lips for pouring and a couple other defects iirc.

I guess at this point I'm thinking I should just get some normal nice tri-ply top to bottom stainless 10 and 12in pans, and maybe an all copper omelet and 2-4 cup sauce pan? idk... :( my dreams of a kitchen full of wanky glistening copper pans are fading...

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I was going to buy the copper core All-Clad but went with the d5 after doing some reading. I think the copper isn't worth the huge price increase and I really like my d5.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Chemmy posted:

I was going to buy the copper core All-Clad but went with the d5 after doing some reading. I think the copper isn't worth the huge price increase and I really like my d5.

all the all clad pans look really nice, but how do you deal with that godforsaken handle? why wouldn't they put the curve on the top side, and the indented groove thing on the bottom side? or just not have an indented groove thing?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

mindphlux posted:

all the all clad pans look really nice, but how do you deal with that godforsaken handle? why wouldn't they put the curve on the top side, and the indented groove thing on the bottom side? or just not have an indented groove thing?

I thought that before I got AC, but now I don't mind it so much. I notice more control with the edges up and it gives a nice place for your thumb to go. I think the idea for keeping it thin is to aid in heat dissipation. It's almost negligible anyway when you use a towel to handle the, erm, handle, which I do almost all the time.

IIRC the modernist cuisine guys said it really doesn't matter though. Thinness of the pan and size of the burner are the most important factors when considering a pan' evenness of heat. That said, I prefer the dynamics of using a stainless lined pan and I have no complaints so far regarding my 3ply All Clad. Well, they are kinda on the heavy side compared to what I came from (cheap stamped stainless with pancake bottoms), I could see 5 ply getting kinda annoying to use with the added weight. the copper core AC is hella :3: though.

logical fallacy
Mar 16, 2001

Dynamic Symmetry
The only time the All-clad handles have bothered me is when the put them on their utensils. I used to have an All-clad whisk that I think I picked up from a TJ Maxx or equivalent. It was so uncomfortable to use that one day I just threw it away in disgust.

While the copper cores are nice looking pans, the performance difference is nil as far as I can tell. And since the bottom band of copper is recessed, they'll never look all that pretty unless you spend time cleaning them with barkeepers' friend and a toothbrush. It's quicker and easier to polish an entire copper pan. If making the decision again, I would just go with the standard All-clad because if I remember correctly, the LTD and MC lines don't work with induction.

That all said, I have a hunch that the d5s are more a marketing ploy than a performance increase over the standard line. Still though, you have to keep in mind that the quality of the burner, regardless of the type, is at least as important as the quality of the pan.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
I was just thinking, "Hey, I suffer from a disturbing lack of egg boners!" Fortunately, a product has been made specifically to cater to our unique needs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XILbEZlS0U

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Looks like an egg cooking Flesh Light.

Sounds appetizing.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Countdown until some dude gets his dick stuck and horribly burned in it.

You KNOW it's going to happen, it's just a matter of time.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 19, 2013

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

The guy at 1:17 is so horrified at what he's eating that he keeps his eyes clamped tightly shut.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

"Hey kids, you know what's for breakfast?"

"EGG TURDS!"

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Vertical cooking technology!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It's a pity because if someone could make a tiny sous-vizzle for slow-poaching 2-3 eggs at a time it would be sick.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

No Wave posted:

It's a pity because if someone could make a tiny sous-vizzle for slow-poaching 2-3 eggs at a time it would be sick.

?

Uh that wouldn't be difficult at all, just medium expensive.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
That thing fully cooks the yolk so it's evil.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
In the future, all food will be tube shaped.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

PhazonLink posted:

That thing fully cooks the yolk so it's evil.

I would hope so otherwise there is a 99.9% chance of you getting salmonella from an undercooked yolk.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why would that be? Does this thing ship with salmonella in it?

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

In the future, all food will be tcube shaped.

Gentlemen, I give you Future Food 2.0.

It's already here though, in case anyone doesn't already know

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Doh004 posted:

I would hope so otherwise there is a 99.9% chance of you getting salmonella from an undercooked yolk.

You don't soft cook your yolks?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
It was a poor attempt at a lovely joke filled with bad sarcasm as to how a person, who would actually use a product like this, would feel towards runny yolks. :saddowns:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I cook my yolks through if i'm making an egg sandwich to take with me because otherwise I'd get yolk on my shirt.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Has anyone got any experience with "Cook's Standard" multiclad pans? I checked early and late pages in this thread but see no mention of them. Amazon reviews are favorable and I'd expect them to be comparable to Cuisinart MultiClad pro based on reviews, specs and price.

I'm looking for something on the lower-decent end to replace a less used pot of mine, this looks good on paper:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00421AYKE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
but I'm a little leary when the only web presence for a company is resellers. Even their facebook page is poo poo.

e; Bah I'm skipping them based on failed apostrophe alone, "Cooks Standard"[sic] isn't just a search engine compromise, it's actually printed on the pans that way. Jesus.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 19, 2013

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
Maybe it's a verb.

[this pan] Cooks Standard [food]

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I'd have to tell myself that every time I cooked with it. Deep down I'd know I was living a lie.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
You'd be in trouble if you wanted anything other than standard. A whole 'nother set of pots for excellent or exotic food.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I love the "There's GOT to be a better way!" scenes, some of the best I've ever seen in an infomercial.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
"Perfect for the office". Lol I wanna be the guy cooking eggs in a cramped cubicle.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Looks like the drat thing is pooping out the egg "roll"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetJuicyTaco
Jun 17, 2007
sour cream on my beef
Just bought my first house, I pick up the keys on Thursday. I'm super excited too because it's also my first time having gas burners, no more electrical rings. I am pretty set on cookware, I have a shitload of cast iron. I do need to purchase a fridge. It's kind of rough finding reviews on refrigerators, every type seems to get mixed reviews. I have all stainless steel appliances and want to keep that theme going. Ideally I would like a stainless steel french door bottom freezer. Does anyone have recommendations or experiences they could share? I am looking at Samsung, LG, Kenmore, and Whirlpool's offerings but am really open to anything. No real budgetary constraints other than I am probably looking to spend 2k, maybe 2.5 maximum.

• Locked thread