Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

So I guess this means I need to watch Diner? Is the movie as good as this clip implies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Diner is awesome.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Watch Diner as soon as you possibly can.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Diner is great, here's a cool article from Vanity Fair on how influential it was.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Watched Diner for the first time a couple months ago and now it's one of my favorite movies.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

He loving manhandled those 7"s.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Criminal Minded posted:

Diner is great, here's a cool article from Vanity Fair on how influential it was.

yeah, that clip definitely reminded me of Seinfeld as I was watching it. The whole "1 character does some trivially wrong thing, other character wildly overreacts." which made up about 85% of that show.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

SubG posted:

Do you think there are films which are considered to have an accurate portrayal of early 21st Century American life? Is Tarantino's dialogue `accurate'? Kevin Smith's? Andrew Bujalski's?

Sure, I think there are plenty of films that more or less capture the way people "really" talk and act in a given time and place.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Mar 15, 2013

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
I tend to model my speech patterns after movies I adore so yes, Kevin Smith's dialogue is fairly accurate to how I talk.

I'm just kidding that would be horrible

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

feedmyleg posted:

So I guess this means I need to watch Diner? Is the movie as good as this clip implies?

Diner's great.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

Diner is okay I guess.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

SubG posted:

Do you think there are films which are considered to have an accurate portrayal of early 21st Century American life? Is Tarantino's dialogue `accurate'? Kevin Smith's? Andrew Bujalski's?

Yes, Before Sunset.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
But it takes place in Europe!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

DNS posted:

But it takes place in Europe!

It's about two Americans?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

regulargonzalez posted:

Yes, Before Sunset.
I honestly can't tell if this is sarcasm or not.

The dialogue is naturalistic (according to the standards for naturalistic dialogue in film in 2004) but I don't think it reflects unscripted, unrehearsed contemporary American speech any more than, say, Bringing Up Baby (1938) does for its era. Which is to say that it's certainly comprehensible to its target audience and wouldn't strike anyone as sounding like, for example, the elevated style of a Shakespearian soliloquy, it's still not `real' in the sense that it doesn't reflect the speech patterns, diction, and so on of actual native speakers in their day-to-day lives. Not that I'm saying this should be a goal of fiction---I don't think it should. I'm just making a point about approaching narrative film with expectations of `realism' in these regards.

And for the record I think that films like Before Sunset (2004) or, I dunno, Lost in Translation (2003) are basically Penthouse Letters for the New Yorker set, and so are more aspirational than descriptive---the model of relationships, behaviours, and so are more about expressing an ideal than observing a norm. So watching them expecting to get a `historically accurate' view of early 21st Century American behaviour doesn't make any more sense than watching Easy Rider (1969) for a model of the reality of the counterculture movement in the US in the '60s as opposed to a model of the ideals of that movement. If that distinction makes sense.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I still think the most accurate portrait of American life in the 1970s is Dawn of the Dead.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I still think the most accurate portrait of American life in the 1970s is That 70s Show.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

My girlfriend claims "Magic Mike" has very realistic dialogue, especially when the characters get into arguments with each other.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I still think the most accurate portrait of American life in the 1970s is That 70s Show.

If you want to know what the culture and values were really like, you need to scrape the bottom of the barrel for lowest-common-denominator topical comedy.

American Raspberry is the purest distillation of the state of the culture in 1977.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I change my answer, if you wanna know about 70s culture watch Match Game.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

SubG posted:

Comedy option: Juno.

God I wanted to strangle Diablo Cody after listening to that.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I change my answer, if you wanna know about 70s culture watch Match Game.

This is the correct answer. I watched so much Match Game as a kid and I was all surprised when other kids at school didn't know who Charles Nelson Reilly was.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
How about Blue Valentine for naturalistic dialogue?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

regulargonzalez posted:

Yes, Before Sunset.
Do people consider Before Sunset to be better than Before Sunrise?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

What are some movies where there's a strong soundtrack that synchs up really closely to what's going on? Something like the final duel in Once Upon A Time In the West, or the confrontation at the farm at the start.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

A human heart posted:

What are some movies where there's a strong soundtrack that synchs up really closely to what's going on? Something like the final duel in Once Upon A Time In the West, or the confrontation at the farm at the start.

Most everything by Quentin Tarantino.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

A human heart posted:

Everything else by Leone fits this. John Williams' major works, like Star Wars and Superman also fit the bill. If you want a song that describes what is happening on the screen, Baseketball qualifies.

My question - What book/play/existing property has been adapted to film the most times? Going through IMDB, I see that Les Miserables and The Three Musketeers seems to show up every few years, but it's hard to say which one has been adapted more. A Christmas Carol has also been adapted many times, but a lot of the adaptations are for tv shows.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

The Bible?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Discounting the bible are you talking about legit adaptions or "pretty much inspired by this other thing but not exactly" because just off the top of my head there are a lot of Romeo and Juliets.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SubG posted:

The 40 Year Old Virgin.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

FishBulb posted:

Discounting the bible are you talking about legit adaptions or "pretty much inspired by this other thing but not exactly" because just off the top of my head there are a lot of Romeo and Juliets.

I know a lot of stories use classic literature and mythology as their inspiration, but I'm mostly curious about legit adaptations, or stories that are directly tied in to these properties. So something like Mirror Mirror would count, as it uses characters from the Snow White story. A movie like Forbidden Planet, which is clearly inspired by Othello, would not as the characters and setting from the original are not directly adapted.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Forbidden Planet was The Tempest, not Othello.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Forbidden Planet was The Tempest, not Othello.

Yeah you're right. It's too early. :)

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

CopywrightMMXI posted:

My question - What book/play/existing property has been adapted to film the most times? Going through IMDB, I see that Les Miserables and The Three Musketeers seems to show up every few years, but it's hard to say which one has been adapted more. A Christmas Carol has also been adapted many times, but a lot of the adaptations are for tv shows.

I feel like "the bible" is a cop out answer, that's casting a really wide net - I'd say Zorro or Tarzan probably.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

A human heart posted:

Syberberg's Parsifal.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

cloudchamber posted:

Syberberg's Parsifal.

Hell yeah.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

SubG posted:

I honestly can't tell if this is sarcasm or not.

The dialogue is naturalistic (according to the standards for naturalistic dialogue in film in 2004) but I don't think it reflects unscripted, unrehearsed contemporary American speech any more than, say, Bringing Up Baby (1938) does for its era. Which is to say that it's certainly comprehensible to its target audience and wouldn't strike anyone as sounding like, for example, the elevated style of a Shakespearian soliloquy, it's still not `real' in the sense that it doesn't reflect the speech patterns, diction, and so on of actual native speakers in their day-to-day lives. Not that I'm saying this should be a goal of fiction---I don't think it should. I'm just making a point about approaching narrative film with expectations of `realism' in these regards.

And for the record I think that films like Before Sunset (2004) or, I dunno, Lost in Translation (2003) are basically Penthouse Letters for the New Yorker set, and so are more aspirational than descriptive---the model of relationships, behaviours, and so are more about expressing an ideal than observing a norm. So watching them expecting to get a `historically accurate' view of early 21st Century American behaviour doesn't make any more sense than watching Easy Rider (1969) for a model of the reality of the counterculture movement in the US in the '60s as opposed to a model of the ideals of that movement. If that distinction makes sense.
Gotta disagree. My late wife and I constantly had conversations just like the ones in Before Sunrise / Before Sunset. Maybe it's not how you or your peers talk, but it absolutely is representative of a certain socioeconomic class.
Of course, that goes to your larger point anyway; that type of conversation overlooks more mundane talks about what do you want for dinner, etc. But I don't think anyone is asking for a movie that contains every viable sentence spoken in a certain time period -- the viewer necessarily can and will extrapolate to the while from the dialogue contained in the film. And in that respect, Before Sunrise is the very epitome of my mid-2000s experience.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Vegetable posted:

Do people consider Before Sunset to be better than Before Sunrise?

They are both brilliant individually but somehow the two taken together are even greater than the sum of their parts. Particularly with a decent sized break between the first viewing of each.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Skwirl posted:

It's about two Americans?

She's French, not American.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
I just finished watching Rosemary's Baby and I loved how scary it was yet there was no blood at all in the movie and no stupid jump scares. What are some other prominent examples of horror movies that rely more on atmosphere than gore?

Edit: I thought I was in the recommendations thread, but whatever.

Jeff Wiiver fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 17, 2013