Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

fivegears4reverse posted:

Nintendo has been pretty much terrible at this whole internet-on-a-console thing since they released the Gamecube, and the lukewarm responses to their eShop on the 3DS and the Wii U haven't convinced them to stop being mediocre yet!
What's wrong with the 3DS eShop? It's easily the most user friendly console storefront I've used in recent months and has quite a lot of content. The Playstation Store doesn't even scale the display on my TV right when running in HD!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
If my Wii was soft-modded to have a homebrew channel will there be problems with uploading all my Wii poo poo to my new WiiU? I'd like to be able to play upscaled My Life as a King or MM9/10, or just play any of my old games without having to resync my wiimote and swap the sensor bar between consoles, but I'm afraid of crazy voodoo nintendo magic noticing the homebrew channel and bricking both consoles or something.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Chaltab posted:

What's wrong with the 3DS eShop? It's easily the most user friendly console storefront I've used in recent months and has quite a lot of content.

While I won't knock it on content because there's a lot, it's a piece of poo poo to navigate and a cluster gently caress to even look at. You see 3 icons at a time and you don't know what the titles are until you highlight one. 2/3rds of the bottom screen is taken up by obnoxiously large buttons and the title/rating/price. The whole top screen is wasted on an image of a huge title of the game. What the gently caress happened to having a list? Those work pretty drat well and it'd be easy to see more titles at once. I also don't see any way to just browse game categories (Adventure/Racing/etc.) either.

Countblanc posted:

If my Wii was soft-modded to have a homebrew channel will there be problems with uploading all my Wii poo poo to my new WiiU? I'd like to be able to play upscaled My Life as a King or MM9/10, or just play any of my old games without having to resync my wiimote and swap the sensor bar between consoles, but I'm afraid of crazy voodoo nintendo magic noticing the homebrew channel and bricking both consoles or something.

No; my Wii was modded and I made sure nothing would happen before the jump. It'll transfer all of your licenses, (some) of your VC/WiiWare titles, any legit channels you have and ALL saved games (including region locked saves). So basically you're left with a Wii that has the disc channel and the Homebrew channel and the latter will still function perfectly. Oh, and the transfer is limited to 500 MB (if I recall) so that's why it doesn't transfer every VC/WiiWare title but you can just redownload them anyway.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

Wait does a Wii U game really take eight hours to download? I was planning on getting Monster Hunter at from the e-shop at midnight, but now I'm having second thoughts.

Nintendo's CDN is hosted by Akamai, who dynamically mirror content based on demand. What that means in practice is that if you're downloading a popular file in an area with lots of Wii Us, everything is going to be snappy, but if you're trying to get something no-one else bought and live in the middle of bumfuck nowhere in terms of Wii U distribution, you might get stuck with some ancient hyper-congested server halfway across the globe.

That said, in this case the cause was probably the file size. If pixaal was right and the game is 18 GB, an 8-hour download would mean an average download speed of 5 Mbps, which doesn't strike me as unusually slow or anything.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

While that could be the source of slow download speeds, I don't think it is. I downloaded NSMB and it took a better portion of the day.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Sire Oblivion posted:

While that could be the source of slow download speeds, I don't think it is. I downloaded NSMB and it took a better portion of the day.

NSMBU took me only an hour to get. And no its not the source of the problem, if you run a speed test it will click in around 4-6Mbps if you hardwire it goes even slower. Nintendo hosed the network stack up horribly. The speed test is damning since I have FiOS and can pull over 100mbps if I get the chance (normally capped by the server). Its not a network issue its a wii/wiiU issue. Basically deal with it if you hate discs and it may be fixable with an firmware update.

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

Would it be possible to install a better network card without bringing any faults, i.e. the system still performs well and no network issues? From what I've gathered it's a hardware fault but I'm not sure about how much physical space or wattage it can handle and if there are any network cards that size that are better than the one currently in the system.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
So the download speeds from the store suck, but actually playing games with multiplayer is okay since it's P2P, right? I imagine there would've been a huge "WII U SUCKS AT ONLINE PLAY" outcry if Black Ops 2 or Sonic Racing performed horribly online. Monster Hunter is the first game I'll be going online with on the U so I don't have any experience with it.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Static Rook posted:

So the download speeds from the store suck, but actually playing games with multiplayer is okay since it's P2P, right? I imagine there would've been a huge "WII U SUCKS AT ONLINE PLAY" outcry if Black Ops 2 or Sonic Racing performed horribly online. Monster Hunter is the first game I'll be going online with on the U so I don't have any experience with it.

Anybody who wants to play Black Ops 2 online isn't using a Wii U to do it :iamafag:

I've heard mostly good things about online play with Sonic though.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Static Rook posted:

BLOPS2 played beautifully online, sonic racing takes forever to find matches but that's mostly because there's five people online at any given time.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Black Ops 2 plays great online and I guess an unintentional benefit on Wii U is that no one has/uses microphones so I don't have to mute a ton of people every game like I did on PS3. Sending messages to people is kind of a pain on Wii U though. As far as I can tell there's no way for random people to send each other messages without adding them as a friend first. Also to read messages you have to go into Miiverse, which causes you to exit multiplayer.

I don't wanna start a CoD derail or anything but the game itself is kind of disappointing, it's the first CoD game I've played since MW2 and it feels completely identical to that. I hear people complain about the series a lot but I was still kinda surprised. It's a good, mindless game to play while listening to a podcast or something though. If you can somehow find it cheap somewhere it's worth picking up.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

KimT posted:

Black Ops 2 plays great online and I guess an unintentional benefit on Wii U is that no one has/uses microphones so I don't have to mute a ton of people every game like I did on PS3. Sending messages to people is kind of a pain on Wii U though. As far as I can tell there's no way for random people to send each other messages without adding them as a friend first. Also to read messages you have to go into Miiverse, which causes you to exit multiplayer.

I don't wanna start a CoD derail or anything but the game itself is kind of disappointing, it's the first CoD game I've played since MW2 and it feels completely identical to that. I hear people complain about the series a lot but I was still kinda surprised. It's a good, mindless game to play while listening to a podcast or something though. If you can somehow find it cheap somewhere it's worth picking up.

Well yeah, it's no secret. You're paying 60 bucks for a map pack and a slight balance patch. That's CoD for you.

Also, I think you can receive messages from strangers but the option is disabled by default.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Widdiful posted:

Would it be possible to install a better network card without bringing any faults, i.e. the system still performs well and no network issues? From what I've gathered it's a hardware fault but I'm not sure about how much physical space or wattage it can handle and if there are any network cards that size that are better than the one currently in the system.

I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts the network card is soldered, or just a part of, the motherboard and all proprietary. You can't replace it. Even if you could there's no way to install any drivers it would require.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Cross posting from the Monster Hunter thread.

My friend is looking for some sound options since the monitor he wants to use with the Wii U doesn't have any sound capability. He said plugging headphones into the Wii U pad while playing the Monster Hunter demo only played the pad sounds instead of the game ones. Is there some sort of setting you can change to get all sound output to the pad? Is playing with headphones game dependent?

Brinty
Aug 4, 2012
The full game is getting a patch to enable you to play entirely off the pad, I assume the sound would all come through if he did that.

I have no idea if you could just move the sound though if he wanted to use his TV too.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Static Rook posted:

The online is stable you don't NEED insane bandwidth to play a game There are people that play games fine on the basic cable connections at 512kbps. Its not like the downloads are dropping out they are perfectly fine for most people. Most people have lovely internet that the wiiU can't even make use of (in Japan they apparently have even faster internet so this isn't an issue with not understanding the rest of the world).

Doing a google search I can't find anything in my area that is still that below 1Mbps but it was insanely common about 5 years ago with the highest speed being a 10 or 20 mbps, that looks like the "standard" package now but I did find cox having a package for only 5mbps (which many people use that still live at home because hey! Why pay more for internet!)

Not everyone can have lovely FiOS connections (as a note I have FiOS so I'm not saying I'm "most people") I believe goons gravitate towards the highest speed internet and many goons even list internet as something they look for when buying a house. Inside this community yes 5mbps is a very unacceptable speed, but for the majority of people it really isn't. Hell there are places in the middle of the US that apparently can't get more then a 56k because its so spread out. I have no idea if that is true, but I've heard a select few goons mention it before in games.

Really the speeds aren't horrible and it gives you a reason to go with retail, which Nintendo wants to keep their retail partners. A large chunk of Nintendo's sales are games someone buys browsing at game stop. They do not want to give that up until they can prove browsing a digital store can achieve the same thing. The problem will be getting grandma to get the kid a Nintendo gift card instead of a game. You then need the parents to trust the kid isn't going to buy COD. Oh and the parents probably will have no idea about the gift cards in the first place and disable the eShop if they set it up and not the kid (the kid set it up).

So back to my original point the slow speed gets the job done for most places for downloading games. It is more then enough for online play, and the eShop with full games was probably an after though. The fact that a wired connection is even slower tells me its an OS issue with how it handles the network stack and not a hardware issue (or maybe its also hardware in addition to that). This can be fixed most likely with an update (at least the hardwire can get a speed boost). I guess one way to find out would be to ask someone with a dev console since they look like they have an Ethernet port on them in the images I've found. They would probably be breaking the gently caress out of their NDA though.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What do you mean when you say a wired conection is slower, but a person with a dev kit might be able to plug an ethernet cable in and see if it's faster?

I've seen it mentioned a few times and it confuses me each time, because what is a wired connection if not an ethernet connection? How does one get a wired connection on a retail WiiU to see it is slower than wireless?

I think I'm just missing some terminology.

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica
Bandwidth throughput generally means exactly dick, except maybe if you're the one hosting. It's all about latency, your physical distance from the host. Think someone mentioned Nintendo uses Akamai CDN? That's pretty rad, they host VIACOM as well, though if content isn't cached at your local CDN, you're going to have to downloaded it over a lower priority host, I think this is why some of these downloads take weeks and months instead of seconds which the 1st world is so used to.

bluegoon fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 16, 2013

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

greatn posted:

What do you mean when you say a wired conection is slower, but a person with a dev kit might be able to plug an ethernet cable in and see if it's faster?

I've seen it mentioned a few times and it confuses me each time, because what is a wired connection if not an ethernet connection? How does one get a wired connection on a retail WiiU to see it is slower than wireless?

To this day I will never trust wireless over ethernet, packet loss, penetration, interference, there is just so much bullshit which can get in the way of your connection over wireless links, it is loving astounding no ethernet was supplied with this thing, it's meant for gaming for Christ's sake.

Cost cutting, that has to be the only reason, I think they cost cut themselves out of this loving market.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

bluegoon posted:

To this day I will never trust wireless over ethernet, packet loss, penetration, interference, there is just so much bullshit which can get in the way of your connection over wireless links, it is loving astounding no ethernet was supplied with this thing, it's meant for gaming for Christ's sake.

Cost cutting, that has to be the only reason, I think they cost cut themselves out of this loving market.

Well I think most people really don't give a gently caress. Most people don't want to run cable through their house and don't care if they lose a couple packets OH GOD THE HORROR

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

greatn posted:

Well I think most people really don't give a gently caress. Most people don't want to run cable through their house and don't care if they lose a couple packets OH GOD THE HORROR

Sure, whatever, I don't mind the wifi dropping whenever a microwave is on anyway, also considering how absolutely abysmal this thing is selling, I guess it doesn't really matter anyway, huh.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.

Louisgod posted:

Yup. People remember the legacy and transition of upgrading from the NES to the SNES and Nintendo could've recaptured that same energy but they had to go with a stupid name like WEEEEYUUUU instead. Lost opportunity.

To be fair.. I feel like Super Wii sounds gross.

I agree though. I think they should have thought of a new name. I think the "Wii" upgrading to the "Wii U" sounds a bit bland and almost makes it seem like only a nominal upgrade the way an iPhone "S" is. I think Nintendo's strength is their brand name of Nintendo being synonymous with gaming. The strength is that they can name their system almost anything but since it's a "Nintendo" it will never lose it's focus. Shove the brand name of "Nintendo" in front of anything and it sounds like a gaming system. Nintendo Foxtrot. Nintendo Bluelight. Nintendo Max. Nintendo Signal. Nintendo Star. I'm just looking at random poo poo on my desk.

I mean.. for comparison.. if you said "Hey check out this Sony Vita" no on really knows if it's going to be a laptop, some headphones or a gaming device. I'm also not keen on the branding of the Vita either. I feel its kind of weak and non-descriptive.

I also miss the days where the Nintendo handheld was called the Gameboy. I still accidentally refer to my 3DS as a Gameboy.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Jet Ready Go posted:

To be fair.. I feel like Super Wii sounds gross.

If they stood with calling it the Revolution [i think] it would sound better.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Jet Ready Go posted:

I also miss the days where the Nintendo handheld was called the Gameboy. I still accidentally refer to my 3DS as a Gameboy.

I refer to all 3DSes as Gameboys on purpose :colbert:.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

greatn posted:

You get a USB to Ethernet adapter. The driver they are using to translate could be poo poo, but this is unlikely its MUCH more likely you get a slight delay in doing voodoo to translate USB to Ethernet. This is normally faster then wireless but slower then dedicated hardware. The fact that its slower then wireless means the issue is in how the OS is handling networking. So it is something that can be fixed. For the record Wireless G supports over 10 times the speed the wii U gets.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
The only thing i've used in downloading games that took full advantage of my internet is Steam. 360, PS3 and Wii U all have had terrible download speeds, with 360 being the worst offender... so bad that i've rage quit downloading demos that were only 200-300mb.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
I can't even install the first update on my american Wii U because it gives an error at either at 80-90% of the download, or half way through the following "updating" phase. This is with a LAN adapter.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

AngryCaterpillar posted:

I can't even install the first update on my american Wii U because it gives an error at either at 80-90% of the download, or half way through the following "updating" phase. This is with a LAN adapter.

That is your problem, don't use that. The wii and wiiU don't handle that right use the wireless its much more stable and faster (don't ask how they pulled that off).

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

pixaal posted:

That is your problem, don't use that. The wii and wiiU don't handle that right use the wireless its much more stable and faster (don't ask how they pulled that off).

Unfortunately I had to use the LAN adapter because the American console proved incapable of finding my internet wirelessly (despite my Australian Wii U being able to find it!)

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Unfortunately I had to use the LAN adapter because the American console proved incapable of finding my internet wirelessly (despite my Australian Wii U being able to find it!)

Oh there are different wireless standards in different countries. There is normally some overlap you'll have to fully look up the standard to see what channels are the same in both countries.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

pixaal posted:

Oh there are different wireless standards in different countries. There is normally some overlap you'll have to fully look up the standard to see what channels are the same in both countries.

Yeah customer service in Australia said wireless isn't officially supported, only ADSL and cable. What makes no sense to me is the fact that it can sometimes download the update completely but not finish installing it.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Yeah customer service in Australia said wireless isn't officially supported, only ADSL and cable. What makes no sense to me is the fact that it can sometimes download the update completely but not finish installing it.

I mean the airwaves are controller by each government differently. So not all channels are allowed in all countries. Set your wireless router to channel 5 or 6. The FCC (I think) does not allow the higher channels so all US routers (and US devices) do not have access to them. I do not know who owns the right to the channels but they are only reserved in the US. I think its 5 and 6 that are "world wide" channels and aren't restricted anywhere.

You should have access to more channels then the US your router is probably set to that.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

bluegoon posted:

Sure, whatever, I don't mind the wifi dropping whenever a microwave is on anyway, also considering how absolutely abysmal this thing is selling, I guess it doesn't really matter anyway, huh.
If your microwave is leaking enough waves to flat out make your Wifi drop then you probably have more pressing concerns than the stability of your internet connection.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Jet Ready Go posted:

Shove the brand name of "Nintendo" in front of anything and it sounds like a gaming system. Nintendo Foxtrot. Nintendo Bluelight. Nintendo Max. Nintendo Signal. Nintendo Star. I'm just looking at random poo poo on my desk.

How about "Nintendo Xbox"? :v: I could maybe possibly perhaps see that actually happening if Wii U does turn out to be a total shitshow, but Nintendo remains dominant and profitable in the handheld space.

The total lack of marketing at the moment is a worry, but understandable given the lack of games. From an Australian point of view, this is exacerbated by the fact that the gaming retail space has shrunk hugely in the last few years - a lot of the big department store and electronics retailers have gotten out of the gaming space entirely, and several smaller game retail chains have gone belly-up. So unless you're already casually familiar with what's going on in the gaming world, the Wii U is essentially invisible here.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

pixaal posted:

I've had a LAN adapter on my Wii for quite a while (and now it's hooked up to my WiiU) and had nothing but improved connection and download speeds. It's a third-party one made specifically for the Wii, if that makes a difference.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I am probably just being an idiot and not trying hard enough but I played the MH3 demo and hosed up really bad on the easy hunt because I couldn't figure out the controls (lol?) Is there someplace where the Wii U Monster Hunter controls are listed?

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

I am probably just being an idiot and not trying hard enough but I played the MH3 demo and hosed up really bad on the easy hunt because I couldn't figure out the controls (lol?) Is there someplace where the Wii U Monster Hunter controls are listed?

Press the home button then look for the tutorial icon.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Oh my god. (Thank you!)

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Does anyone know about how large Lego City will be? I'm planning on downloading it this week. If I start before I go to work I'm wondering the chances it will be done by the time I get home.(530 am to 400 pm basically)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

greatn posted:

Does anyone know about how large Lego City will be? I'm planning on downloading it this week. If I start before I go to work I'm wondering the chances it will be done by the time I get home.(530 am to 400 pm basically)

From what I read, 22 gb.

e: http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=198154

Reoxygenation fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 17, 2013

• Locked thread