Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Itzena posted:

And from the :black101: of narrow gauge to the :downs:

The Ffestiniog Railway had a problem. It was a narrow-gauge railway for taking slate from the mines in the north Wales mountains down to the sea, so that meant heavy loads that normal narrow-gauge engines would struggle with. The solution came from a Scottish engineer called Robert Fairlie. He concluded that the typical locomotive design was inefficient due to the limits of traction and the tender not contributing to adhesion in any way, plus the whole "cannot run as well in reverse" design. So he came up with a solution: Put two boilers on it, cab in the middle, and put the driving wheels on bogies so it can actually go around bends.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairlie

And the weirdest thing? It works. It works so well that the Ffestiniog (which is a tourist railway now) is still using them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q8bT3q_oHA

In fact, they're still making them - "David Lloyd George" was built from scratch by the railway in 1992:

Speaking of Fairlies, they weren't exclusively narrow gauge either. In fact the Lehigh Valley Railroad had one for a short period of time named Janus. The loco wasn't purchased by the LVRR as much as never left the property though. It was ordered by the Central Pacific, and tested on the Boston and Albany, followed by the LVRR where it ended its life as it proved inferior to a regular steam locomotive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
kind of a cool video
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=cf1_1321820747

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

ctishman posted:

I just wonder what makes them behave that way, and what sort of cultural shift it would take to drag them out of the 19th century, attitude-wise.

Good question. I know much of the control components we sell are really old designs that are terribly complicated, labor intensive, and costly. It's not uncommon for me to come across drawings originally drafted over 100 years ago. This becomes particularly problematic when you have to replace a lot of the stuff quickly ala Hurricane Sandy. I can understand though the mentality of sticking with what you know works.

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!

Styles Bitchley posted:

Good question. I know much of the control components we sell are really old designs that are terribly complicated, labor intensive, and costly. It's not uncommon for me to come across drawings originally drafted over 100 years ago. This becomes particularly problematic when you have to replace a lot of the stuff quickly ala Hurricane Sandy. I can understand though the mentality of sticking with what you know works.

I think that culture is baked into a company in its first few years and then crystallizes and can't be easily shifted unless there's some major, traumatic change. It gets passed on through generation after generation of workers in the form of a set of attitudes towards others in the business hierarchy, both above and below. In the case of the Class 1s, they've been able to operate inefficiently and unsafely and yet still make money hand over fist for the investors. They hold an 1870s attitude and have no real incentive to change things up because it works well enough.

All of the 'safety culture' stuff with (as you said) first aid kit placement and little machines you have to smack every few minutes are band-aids to cover up the gaping wound in the culture – a wound that would require vast sums of money and time to change. I suppose I've answered my own question.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis
What's interesting is how 21st century millennials being hired by class 1 railroads though their management trainee programs are dealing with it.

These are typically fresh college grads with financial, business, or engineering programs who get actively recruited and hired while still in school. After graduation they'll get an extended period of familiarization with the company, which could take a couple months up to an entire year, and may require lots of travel. After that they get direct placement into middle management in their field of expertise within the company. I know quite a few people who've gone this route, but only a few who are really happy with it. Some find they've run out of advancement options after >5 years, while others find that they don't want their employer dictating their lives with odd work schedules or moving them around the system every five years. From the corporation's perspective, perhaps the biggest issue here is that you've got brand new college grads plunked right down and working with baby boomers on the verge of retirement,* two generational groups which historically don't get along.

Even with some of the most lucrative benefits you can find anywhere (very good health care, relatively stable employment, usually TWO pensions, stock options) lots of millennials are not sticking with these management trainee jobs, and wind up seeking work at more "progressive" entities. To a generation where the ideal workplace is something along the lines of what Google offers, a class 1 railroad seems like a combination of the Marine Corps with a pinch of extreme office politics thrown in.

*It's never been explained to me why the railroads have this age gap in management, but I have a hypothesis: In 1980 the industry was deregulated, leading to large downsizing efforts which led to greater efficiency. At that point I'm pretty sure hiring into management became a mere trickle, and up until now it's been mostly the same group of baby boomers running the show.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
In a few days I get to meet the CEO of the UPRR. How do I rate?

What do I know? I know that all of the execs on the UPRR are not idiots. Their efforts at times might be a little misdirected and even at times self serving, but they are not idiots.

They know their jobs and their interests, as they apply to their plans, inside and out. They have heard every backhanded compliment. Have a good and practiced answer to every criticism.

How do I know? I have seen them hold their town hall meetings. They may get bit at the beginning of their road tour on their town hall meetings, when they are hit by each question they were not expecting. But they come up with a very practiced set of answers.

I mean we are railroaders. We are not Rhodes Scholars, our existence is as simple as we are. We are paid well because the railroad makes us work under insane conditions, under insane work schedules, with a great responsibility over very expensive equipment and materials. Our most valuable reason for existence in this very litigious and overly corporate environment is to take the fall and blame when poo poo goes wrong.

On average, the points we raise, and the arguments we make can easily be knocked in the dirt by any 2 year college student new hire manager running full bore on a Starbucks Venti.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I've just managed to find my old pictures of the 2009 Owosso Train Festival and it's giving me feelings all over again.

A very nice worker at the Amtrak station in Durand directed me to an old wooden bridge outside out of town, and I got there in time to catch this moment:

Which was probably the best moment of that whole thing. 4449 is amazing to behold in-person.

Other locomotives were fun to foam over too, but they just didn't match up to the Daylight:

9axle
Sep 6, 2009

bytebark posted:

What's interesting is how 21st century millennials being hired by class 1 railroads though their management trainee programs are dealing with it.

These are typically fresh college grads with financial, business, or engineering programs who get actively recruited and hired while still in school. After graduation they'll get an extended period of familiarization with the company, which could take a couple months up to an entire year, and may require lots of travel. After that they get direct placement into middle management in their field of expertise within the company. I know quite a few people who've gone this route, but only a few who are really happy with it. Some find they've run out of advancement options after >5 years, while others find that they don't want their employer dictating their lives with odd work schedules or moving them around the system every five years. From the corporation's perspective, perhaps the biggest issue here is that you've got brand new college grads plunked right down and working with baby boomers on the verge of retirement,* two generational groups which historically don't get along.

Even with some of the most lucrative benefits you can find anywhere (very good health care, relatively stable employment, usually TWO pensions, stock options) lots of millennials are not sticking with these management trainee jobs, and wind up seeking work at more "progressive" entities. To a generation where the ideal workplace is something along the lines of what Google offers, a class 1 railroad seems like a combination of the Marine Corps with a pinch of extreme office politics thrown in.

*It's never been explained to me why the railroads have this age gap in management, but I have a hypothesis: In 1980 the industry was deregulated, leading to large downsizing efforts which led to greater efficiency. At that point I'm pretty sure hiring into management became a mere trickle, and up until now it's been mostly the same group of baby boomers running the show.

Railroad don't just recruit grads, they also recruit internally. The internal recruits tend to be older, much much wiser in terms the railroad business, and already have some measure of respect from the craft employees. It also may come as a surprise to some, but just because they came from the crafts doesn't mean they are stupid or even uneducated( my RR offers substantial tuition money, and dozens of internal online classes for free, to ALL employees.) When it comes time for a promotion, the new grad is up against a seasoned, wise, respected employee with an extensive network. A degree just doesn't carry the weight you might expect.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Often, we poke fun at the young managers that come in, they often move through like a revolving door.

We have a new young kid in right now. Just turned 24, married and a new kid on the way. I have a feeling his new job will chew him up and spit him out. We often give him crap if his mom dropped him off and packed his lunch. Poor kid looks like he is going to cry on a daily basis.

If your skin is thin, this is a brutal job. Luckily, we pick on each other just as bad, and wonder how a box car would get switched. Every one is the worst switchman in the world around here according to the conversations in the yard office.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
While all of that is very true, guys from the craft (from what I've heard, this might be specific to Engineering) are by no means jumping over each other for a chance to get into management. Almost everyone I knew who had come up from the craft kept up on their union dues to preserve their seniority in the case they wanted to go back, and there were plenty of men who had done just that after they'd had enough of management.

Managers get a bit more vacation time, relocation assistance, use of a company vehicle, 401k matching and (maybe!) an end-of-year bonus, but they're also the first ones called when anything goes wrong and they'll own the problem until it's fixed. Being on salary means your hourly wage goes down the more hours you work, and the norm in the track department was 60-70 hours a week with plenty of weekends thrown in. Guys in the craft, protected by a union agreement, have the option of refusing overtime (outside of an emergency) and earn time and a half when they take it. After overtime was figured in, many of the track guys had earned by August what their managers would make the entire year.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

NoWake posted:

After overtime was figured in, many of the track guys had earned by August what their managers would make the entire year.

This is especially true in train crew side of things. Heck, even yard guys (switchman are paid the lowest in railroad terms) most can make well over what the managers make. There are perks to each side, but most guys like the fact that they can make more than the boss with no stress.

The only way your going to start making more money in management is when you start moving up. I am talking superintendent levels. At least a couple steps above trainmaster levels.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis

BrokenKnucklez posted:

We have a new young kid in right now. Just turned 24, married and a new kid on the way. I have a feeling his new job will chew him up and spit him out. We often give him crap if his mom dropped him off and packed his lunch. Poor kid looks like he is going to cry on a daily basis.

My understanding (admittedly mostly from the outside) is that the HR people are shoving these management candidates through the system. I've heard one Amtrak upper level manager say that "someone with a degree in horticulture could get in our management trainee program." And even if you get a degree in something rail related, that's no guarantee it'll be of any use once you get out in the field. A buddy of mine has spent the last two years in graduate school, doing research on rail ballast (mostly using a grant from a passenger railroad, with the research tailored to their needs). He's graduating soon, entering a management trainee program, and supposedly after that he'll be a roadmaster for a class 1 on a low-speed freight line in the rockies. I wish him the best but doubt he's going to last very long.

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why

Strawberry posted:

Looks like I will be joining the big orange railroad (you know the one) in California as an MOW laborer. Received conditional offer last week, and I was just notified that I passed the medical. I am excited and nervous at the same time. I have done heavy labor before (distribution center). Anyone here work MOW? Can't wait to start!

Anyone?

My friends are surprised I took this job and plan to stick with it, considering I have a degree. From what you guys say about managers it seems like the better option to start at the bottom rather than go straight into management.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Strawberry posted:

Anyone?

My friends are surprised I took this job and plan to stick with it, considering I have a degree. From what you guys say about managers it seems like the better option to start at the bottom rather than go straight into management.

TBH, it sounds like any large, subsidized workforce. The management is less than half the age of most of the workforce, so they don't know how the job really works. They know what they've been trained.

You keep a thick skin. When someone calls you a douche-swilling cock-gobbling colostomy bag, just take that as "hey, pal." If they didn't like you, they wouldn't talk to you at all. You really, truly, in fact, know nothing about the way they really work; attempting to get the way you're told they work and the way they think they should work to coincide is your job, and you're VERY well paid for it. Basically nothing. Ask them what their job is. Ask your boss what your workers' jobs are. Tell your workers you're making their jobs the way they think they should be. Tell your boss you're making their workers' jobs the way they think they should be [ambiguity deliberate]. Get raise. Get your boss's job. Get lied to by college grads, collect fat paycheck. Get promoted. Get lied to by people who are paid to lie to people who want to believe they're not being lied to, but got to their position by lying to people in your position.

This is the way of the militaryrailroad.

Rabid Anti-Dentite!
Oct 15, 2009

Strawberry posted:

Anyone?

I "may or may not" work for that same railroad in that same state, in that same department. I worked in retail before, and I had no idea what to expect. Let me tell you how my day went today. Went to work at 7 am, bullshitted in the office until about 830 about bars and stuff. Got gas, got to the job site about 11:00, called the dispatcher for track and time, waited on a train he said was the one, then waited on another, then another. By then it was 1230, got my 3 hours of track and time. Hit anchors for about 30 mins, watched the welders work for an hour. Then we started going back to the yard, got a call to fix some gravel so the train crews wont twist their little ankles walking to the vans ;-) did that then went home. Total work time = 2 hours maybe. A lot of days are like this. We are at the mercy of the trains. Other days are long, I've worked 30+ hours before. It's a demanding job, but honestly I would say it it more mentally demanding than physically. Your head ALWAYS has to be in the game. One mistake will KILL you. Say you request Main track 2, but set on Main 1 because you've had a long day, its dark and your new to the territory. Theres a good chance you could get hit by a train. At the very least you are going home, getting drug tested then going to an investigation. PM me, I want to find out where you hired on at, maybe you'll work near me and we can talk in person. It's always fun to meet new people. And it's been said a lot. but I will say it again. If you can't take jokes, don't even bother coming to work. I get my rear end handed to me EVERYDAY, it's a condition of employment out here. Be safe, work smarter not harder, follow the rules and you will be fine.

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why

Good info man, I appreciate it. I don't have PMs. Hit me up at strawberry1d1 at gmail

Rabid Anti-Dentite!
Oct 15, 2009
Strawberry, just sent you an email!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Rabid Anti-Dentite! posted:

Then we started going back to the yard, got a call to fix some gravel so the train crews wont twist their little ankles walking to the vans ;-)

Hey now! We prefer the fines.......

Yes, its a great job. No one is in a hurry. No one. Work safe. If you think you can't grab that piece of equipment by yourself, don't. Ask for help, its OK, seriously, its not a big deal to ask for a little help.

Its a pretty gravy gig. Work safe, keep your head in the game every second. A few years ago we had a super close call, almost hit a guy on the track our train was on. He wasn't paying attention, just set on Main 1 instead of Main 2. Talk about a heart pumper.

Most of all, have fun. Learn to get made fun of, then learn how to flip it back. We screw with each other on a daily basis, and be prepared for a nickname that will stick with you for a long time.

Rabid Anti-Dentite!
Oct 15, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Hey now! We prefer the fines.......

Yes, its a great job. No one is in a hurry. No one. Work safe. If you think you can't grab that piece of equipment by yourself, don't. Ask for help, its OK, seriously, its not a big deal to ask for a little help.

Its a pretty gravy gig. Work safe, keep your head in the game every second. A few years ago we had a super close call, almost hit a guy on the track our train was on. He wasn't paying attention, just set on Main 1 instead of Main 2. Talk about a heart pumper.

Most of all, have fun. Learn to get made fun of, then learn how to flip it back. We screw with each other on a daily basis, and be prepared for a nickname that will stick with you for a long time.

Haha as long as I get paid, I'll put down a red carpet for you guys!

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
I start as an ops supervisor in an intermodal terminal on Monday. I'm pretty excited but I would have preferred to do transportation. If you're not a piece of poo poo retard, is it possible to switch departments after some time on the job?

Rabid Anti-Dentite!
Oct 15, 2009

Veins McGee posted:

I start as an ops supervisor in an intermodal terminal on Monday. I'm pretty excited but I would have preferred to do transportation. If you're not a piece of poo poo retard, is it possible to switch departments after some time on the job?

At my work, as long as your record is clean (no ops failures etc) you can craft transfer after a year. They only applies to the hourly employees though. I would think that as an exempt, you would just apply for a job. If you get any kind of moving package, you may have to wait 18 months before applying for another job.

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Yes, its a great job. No one is in a hurry. No one.

Having done time in retail and retail distribution, I think I might like this fact the most.

Also, making dick jokes without worrying about customers hearing you.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Man... the best dirty jokes are always from rails.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Man... the best dirty jokes are always from rails.

Amen to that, and they're usually quite creative! I once picked up a train, and after doing a job briefing with the conductor I was relieving, he picked up his stuff and started to walk off. He stopped, turned to me, and said, "Tex, do you know the difference between toilet paper and a shower curtain?"

"No, what?"

He stared at me, stony faced, and said, "So you're the one, huh?" and just walked off. I lost it in view of a roughly a hundred passengers gathered on the platform.

Southpaw Wusky
Oct 23, 2010

Trains? I fill some cars with hazardous waste...it's okay at best and boring as hell at worst. Never overload a car ever.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
Here's an exciting day on a hump yard:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4wVtrofgOo

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

This was the first comment on the article.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

quote:

Luckily there was no structural damage caused to the car's chassis, so it was only a matter of cleaning the train to remove the human debris and return it to a pristine state.

:goonsay:

\/\/I just discovered that you can turn entire quote boxes into links and wanted to try it out with a video link.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Mar 18, 2013

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

edit: didn't realize that was what you were linking to already

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

A friend of mine posted this on Facebook recently:

Said it was taken near Arcade, NY.

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

Lovie Unsmith posted:

A friend of mine posted this on Facebook recently:

Said it was taken near Arcade, NY.

just taking a shortcut

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I thought so too at first, but there's a big X-shaped sign on the left side of the road so I guess it's a legit crossing. I asked my friend what it was and it's this:

http://www.arcadeandatticarr.com/

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Method Loser posted:

just taking a shortcut

Haven't you ever head of road trains? :rolleyes:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Yes. Yes I have.

CBD
Oct 31, 2012
So I checked my UPS shipment today and became very confused, I think this is relevant.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I've had train derailment as a status too. I think when I posted here it was said most likely it just means it went down the wrong track or something. Neat how detailed of a message it is compared to a generic "exception" error or whatever.
edit:
http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/hundreds-of-complaints-surface-about-ups-mysteriou/nD5Bj/

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 19, 2013

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

I love how the article seems to suggest that UPS lied and was involved in some :tinfoil: big cover-up :tinfoil: by saying that shipments were delayed due to a derailed train. It just wasn't the train carrying the packages, it turns out.

"Derailed train" isn't the most descriptive explanation and I could understand how it would make customers a bit concerned for the safety of their parcels, but that lady seemed really, really paranoid over a bread maker.

Cenodoxus fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 19, 2013

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
2nd day on the job and my tenuous grasp of railroad organization was shattered once again. I thought yard masters were the yard counterpart to trainmasters but apparently not.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Unions get a bad rap in this country about 99% due to our media programming about the goings on of union jobs/employees.

To that I would defer you to history:
http://www.ble-t.org/pr/news/newsflash.asp?id=5414

quote:

BLET enters 150th year
150th anniversary celebration planned for Detroit on May 8, 2013

CLEVELAND, March 19 — The Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen enters its 150th year on May 8, 2013. It is the oldest transportation labor organization in North America.

Founded May 8, 1863, at Detroit, Mich., the BLET has its headquarters in Cleveland, Ohio. It has more than 500 Divisions (locals) throughout the United States. The first unit of the Brotherhood to be formed was Division 1 in Detroit, Mich., on May 8, 1863.

The Brotherhood is returning to Detroit in May of 2013 to host a celebration of this historic milestone. A series of meetings and events will culminate with a celebratory banquet the evening of May 8. All active and retired members are invited to attend. Registration information is available here: https://www.ble-t.org/blet150.

In the three decades before the founding of the BLET, locomotive engineers suffered abominable working conditions. The 24-hour workday was commonplace. Railroad magnates rain roughshod over employees. Strikes were mercilessly crushed.

Several attempts to organize locomotive engineers were made between 1855 and 1860. It wasn’t until April 1863, however, that William D. Robinson, a Michigan Central locomotive engineer, brought 19 men of the craft together at his home in Marshall, Mich., and inspired them toward the organization, which survives today. A monument marking the event still stands in Marshall.

At a meeting in Detroit the following month, a dozen men agreed to put their destinies together. They cemented a common bond on May 8, 1863, elected Robinson as their Grand Chief Engineer (president), and named the group the Brotherhood of the Footboard. By August 1863, 10 Divisions had been established — Detroit and Marshall, Mich.; Michigan City, Ind.; Adrian, Mich.; Norwalk, Ohio; two at Chicago, Ill.; Lafayette, Ind.; Crestline, Ohio; and La Porte, Ind.

The name Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers (BLE) was adopted at the first national convention held in Indianapolis in August 1864. In 2004, the BLE merged with the International Brotherhood of Teamsters as the founding member of the Teamsters Rail Conference. After 140 years (1864-2004), the organization changed its name to Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen (BLET).

The BLET was the first labor organization to obtain contracts with railroads. Among the earliest was an agreement with the former New York Central in 1875. Today, the BLET has dozens of contracts with railroads large and small, and represents locomotive engineers on 98 percent of rail trackage in the United States.

The BLET was a pioneer in the field of labor journalism. It began a monthly journal in 1867. Current official publications include a quarterly magazine, Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen Journal, and a monthly newsletter, Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen News. The National Division of the BLET has maintained a website since 1996, https://www.ble-t.org posting daily news stories and periodic News Flash updates that are emailed to thousands of members.

In cooperation with other railroad brotherhoods, the BLET spearheaded the drive to make the 24-hour workday illegal. This was accomplished in 1907 through the Hours of Service Act, which set a 16-hour maximum.

The Adamson Act of 1916, providing for the eight-hour day, was also a result of the BLET’s leadership. An original copy of the Act is kept at BLET National Division headquarters in Cleveland, along with the fountain pen used by President Woodrow Wilson to sign the legislation. It was the first federal law dealing with overtime pay.

The BLET also had a leading role in persuading Congress to pass the Railway Labor Act in 1926. The act, amended several times since then, provides procedures for handling labor-management disputes over wages and working conditions.

The Railroad Retirement and Unemployment Insurance Acts, which became effective in 1937, are railroad industry’s counterparts of the Social Security system. They represent another instance of social progress in which the BLET played an important part.

The Brotherhood has always been proud to support America’s soldiers and their families. Born in the midst of the Civil War, our union’s membership has been comprised of veterans of every major military conflict since, up to and including the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan. With BLET members at the throttle, U.S. railroads carried 90 percent of all military freight and 97 percent of all military passenger movements during World War II.

Greater safety on the job and greater safety for the shipping and traveling public have always been BLET’s goals. Legislative activities by the BLET and other rail unions have resulted in the Locomotive Inspection Act and statutes requiring the use of air brakes, automatic couplers, electric headlights, power-reverse gears and other technological improvements.

The BLET was again at the forefront in persuading Congress to include implementation of Positive Train Control technology to make the rail industry safer and more efficient, and important whistleblower provisions to protect workers who report unsafe conditions while on duty in the Railroad Safety Improvement Act of 2008.

National President Dennis R. Pierce is the 23rd chief in the BLET’s long history. He has held the post since July 1, 2010, succeeding Paul T. Sorrow, who retired. The BLET represents more than 55,000 active and retired locomotive engineers and trainmen throughout the United States.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
Saw a car vs train today out by Coal Canyon/Lovelock area. Looked to be a red Cadillac, I got some pictures, but I'll wait to upload them until I get home.

http://goo.gl/maps/Y1Pct

Hope it wasn't one of you guys.