Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Has anyone played MASTERS OF THE WORLD: GEOPOLITICAL SIMULATOR 3!!! here?

It seems like a vaguely interesting game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Sir_Seth posted:

What the heck is going on in Bardia? :stare:

The Italians didn't really get what the Germans meant when they said they wanted a Mediterranean wall.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It looks like a deformed Mussolini spawned there. I'm not sure what this means in gameplay terms.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

BBJoey posted:

New EU3 Dev Diary about the Coalition system and changes they've made to overextension and coring. Overall it sounds promising, hopefully the quick initial speed to core doesn't upset any balance (or my fragile borders).

Ironman mode confirmed! :c00l:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Yeah ironman mode is going to be boss, not having the temptation of reloading should make the game a bit more challenging.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Fintilgin posted:

That's one way to say they've broken savegames again.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Fintilgin posted:

It's not entirely clear, Johan says there's an achievement for doing doing a WC in ironman mode. Whether that means there's going to be an option you can enable that doesn't let you fall back to older saves, or whether that means not falling back onto them on your own isn't clarified.

SA_Avenger
Oct 22, 2012

KoldPT posted:

Has anyone played MASTERS OF THE WORLD: GEOPOLITICAL SIMULATOR 3!!! here?

It seems like a vaguely interesting game.

Not paradox published but I only played the first one (mission president). It was bug ridden and they failed chosing between an amusing tone and a realistic one (to pass a law you had to do realistic things like talk with unions etc for months but on the other hand you could get hanged by an angry mob over a stupid event on a whim). Still playing a dictatorship was fun and I would like to see their progress but I won't pay 50$ for it

On topic, the new patch for MotE is out

Jygallax
Oct 17, 2011

Every human being deserves respect. Even if if they are a little different.
Can I get the rundown on Vicky 2? I picked up Victoria 1 on the cheaps few weeks ago and posted in the thread a little asking how to play. I figured out vaguely what to do and played about 1.5 games, but it still feels a little complex. From what I understand, Vicky 2 is about the same game, except simpler, right? which sounds great for me, I love the whole industrial revolution time period and would love play around with it, making communist america, and stuff, but I'd like to hear some more opinions about it before picking it up. Is it worth the dollars if I'm not heavily invested in having my super-complex 19th century simulator, and would just like a big 19th century sandbox I can have fun messing around with?

Oh, and is A House Divided necessary or really good to have? If it fixes a lot of broken stuff I'll pick up the complete Vicky 2 package, but if not I'd be happy to save :10bux:

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Vicky 2 is broken as a historical simulator. It's a glorious sandbox and for the love of god get AHD if you want anything to work. You will never understand the goods-driven economy, you just learn to deal with it. Also pick up New Nations Mod and the Big Flag Frames mod, while you're at it.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Sir_Seth posted:

What the heck is going on in Bardia? :stare:

Not sure how you still have the broken spritepack, it should have been patched a long time ago, but #2 here:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?644947-Hoi-3-TFH-Spritepack-Fixes
(you may need to have hoi3 registered to see that thread, I forget)

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

It's downright weird that they haven't been fixed yet (besides the stupid automatic patrol that gets all your ships killed in wartime). Does ANYONE think they're fun?

Ubik loves them.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Jygallax posted:

Can I get the rundown on Vicky 2? I picked up Victoria 1 on the cheaps few weeks ago and posted in the thread a little asking how to play. I figured out vaguely what to do and played about 1.5 games, but it still feels a little complex. From what I understand, Vicky 2 is about the same game, except simpler, right? which sounds great for me, I love the whole industrial revolution time period and would love play around with it, making communist america, and stuff, but I'd like to hear some more opinions about it before picking it up. Is it worth the dollars if I'm not heavily invested in having my super-complex 19th century simulator, and would just like a big 19th century sandbox I can have fun messing around with?

Oh, and is A House Divided necessary or really good to have? If it fixes a lot of broken stuff I'll pick up the complete Vicky 2 package, but if not I'd be happy to save :10bux:
It's dirt cheep on Gamersgate right now, so get it with AHD

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Jygallax posted:

Vicky 2 is flawed is hell but paradoxically (:downsrim:) is also fun as hell, at least once you've got AHD and maybe a couple of mods installed. It's actually my favorite Paradox game and I've put more time into it than any other. It has the most detailed political simulation of any of their games, so if you like messing around with internal politics you'll love V2. It also has an economy which is so detailed as to be nearly impossible to figure out, although you can learn enough to get by.

I play with the POP Demand Mod for preference, myself, but opinions on it are very much divided and it is by no means necessary or objectively better than the base game.

e: VVVVV CK2 is one hell of an awesome son-stabbing, cousin-boning, Pope-bribing intrigue simulation and I love it to death, but it doesn't really simulate a political system, with its interplay of party ideologies and voter issues and legislation and reform and national political movements, near as well as V2 does. Hell, it doesn't even really try, as the focus of the game is primarily character-based rather than country-based. That's neither a good thing or a bad thing, they're just fundamentally different games with different focuses and goals.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Mar 16, 2013

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Mister Bates posted:

It has the most detailed political simulation of any of their games

Do you have a problem with incest, murder, intrigue and incest in CK2? :colbert:

("You said incest twice." "I like incest.")

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

James The 1st posted:

It's dirt cheep on Gamersgate right now, so get it with AHD

It seems regular priced to me.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Mister Bates posted:

e: VVVVV CK2 is one hell of an awesome son-stabbing, cousin-boning, Pope-bribing intrigue simulation and I love it to death, but it doesn't really simulate a political system, with its interplay of party ideologies and voter issues and legislation and reform and national political movements, near as well as V2 does. Hell, it doesn't even really try, as the focus of the game is primarily character-based rather than country-based. That's neither a good thing or a bad thing, they're just fundamentally different games with different focuses and goals.

I've heard CK2 described both as an "emergent storytelling engine" and an "in-depth Feudal nobility simulator." Both of which I think are pretty apt descriptions of what you're really doing in the game. Political factions and combat are just more tools in your arsenal for boning cousins, bribing popes, and stabbing sons.

Even in spite of there being a painful lack of depth in the combat, the level of stupid warring in the game becomes absolutely fantastic. Sicily, shortly after becoming a unified kingdom and getting all its de jure territory has fractured into a succession crisis so bitter and contentious that nearly every province is its own faction calling in foreign aid and I could even make a bid from Wales for my wife to take the throne.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Shorter Than Some posted:

It seems regular priced to me.
You missed it.:(

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
So uh, how exactly do you pull a Great Britain and work over India and places like Hong Kong in EUIII?? When I look to declare war on them as Byzantium I get no casus belli.

Realistically what should my goal for India, China, and Japan be? Vassalize? Annex all the land? I've got colony going up in the Phillipines and Australia and I'm getting drug into dozens of brushfire conflicts in Europe. During one I've forced Castille to Orthodox so I'm quickly whittling down potential threats. The only other major powers left are Britain who has a good 60% of South America colonized and most of the 13 original states. If it came down to it I think Britain would win the war since their Navy would prevent me from ever landing troops on the Isle.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

YouTuber posted:

So uh, how exactly do you pull a Great Britain and work over India and places like Hong Kong in EUIII?? When I look to declare war on them as Byzantium I get no casus belli.

Realistically what should my goal for India, China, and Japan be? Vassalize? Annex all the land? I've got colony going up in the Phillipines and Australia and I'm getting drug into dozens of brushfire conflicts in Europe. During one I've forced Castille to Orthodox so I'm quickly whittling down potential threats. The only other major powers left are Britain who has a good 60% of South America colonized and most of the 13 original states. If it came down to it I think Britain would win the war since their Navy would prevent me from ever landing troops on the Isle.
Adopt a government type that gives you the Imperialism casus belli -- Absolute Monarchy is one of the ones. 2 infamy for every province, declare war on everybody. If you have a colonial empire you should have a massive navy to collect your tariffs and also if you want to beat GB. If you want India and Hong Kong you can wage land wars all the way into Asia. Ideally you want to annex them because it gives you more money.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Also take the National Idea that decreases your infamy 1 every year (Cabinet I believe). It makes it easier to be ready to take more land when the truce runs out.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

YouTuber posted:

Until 1650 you'll have a holy war cb against all neighbouring non-christian nations, and if you're an empire, the defender of the faith or you have the "Unam Sanctum" national idea you'll get it against all non-christians, even the ones you don't border. After 1650 you'll have to depend on the Imperialism CB, and later the Revolution/Counter-Revolution national idea.

Since you're Byzantium you should consider conquering yourself a land path towards India and the rest of Asia so that you don't have to worry about tariffs and having a big enough navy. The majority of the wealth in India/China lies in the trade goods, especially late game, and therefore annexing is the way to go. When vassalizing you only get 50% of the tax value, and none of the production/trade, and you won't get any military help from them since their units would be useless in a fight against western nations.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

What is the name of the mod that randomly generates a New World landmass?

EDIT: Nevermind. I think I found it.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 16, 2013

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Dumb question: in EU3 you can rename provinces and cities, but is there any way to rename seazones? I'm weird and when I colonize the New World I like to give provinces language-specific names depending on what country I am and who's doing the colonizing (example, right now I'm playing as The Netherlands and have Brazil colonized).

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Mister Bates posted:

Vicky 2 is flawed is hell but paradoxically (:downsrim:) is also fun as hell, at least once you've got AHD and maybe a couple of mods installed. It's actually my favorite Paradox game and I've put more time into it than any other. It has the most detailed political simulation of any of their games, so if you like messing around with internal politics you'll love V2. It also has an economy which is so detailed as to be nearly impossible to figure out, although you can learn enough to get by.

I play with the POP Demand Mod for preference, myself, but opinions on it are very much divided and it is by no means necessary or objectively better than the base game.

I just picked up V2 (with AHD) last night and I stayed up until 4am playing.

I started out pretty good as Belgium, took a few overseas territories, and became a Great Power but now my economy has gone to poo poo and I have no idea what to do. I've got a ton of unemployed craftsmen but my 5 factories are always failing so its not like I have too few.

Still fun as hell, though. When the CSA split off, I sphered Mexico and built a tequila factory. :mexico:

Edit: A more direct question... how do I turn Java into a state so I can build factories there?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I just picked up Vic2+AHD as well. That said, I have no idea what the hell I'm doing. Are there any recommended tutorials or LPs to help me get a handle on what I'm doing? And is "New Nations" a suitable mod for a beginner?

Bastastic
Jun 20, 2010

^^^^
Yeah new nations is fine for a beginner. I'm not a huge fan of the mod myself because I feel like it floods the world market with goods early on so that prestige doesn't matter until later when everything is colonized or in someone's sphere.

Zero One posted:

Edit: A more direct question... how do I turn Java into a state so I can build factories there?

You need so and so many of the populace in Java to be of your primary culture and to be Bureaucrat, which basically won't happen because Java has a huge populace.

Bastastic fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 16, 2013

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Bastastic posted:

You need so and so many of the populace in Java to be of your primary culture and to be Bureaucrat, which basically won't happen because Java has a huge populace.

The Wiki lied to me! :argh: It made it sound easy!

quote:

When turned into a state, Java's big population can do wonders to your industrial score.

http://www.paradoxian.org/vicky2wiki/Belgium

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Fuligin posted:

I just picked up Vic2+AHD as well. That said, I have no idea what the hell I'm doing. Are there any recommended tutorials or LPs to help me get a handle on what I'm doing? And is "New Nations" a suitable mod for a beginner?

New Nations is great and encompasses a bunch of small fixes to the game besides adding new nations. Get it. A Pop Divided is much more complex though and I don't know that I'd recommend it for a beginner.

Zero One posted:

The Wiki lied to me! :argh: It made it sound easy!
http://www.paradoxian.org/vicky2wiki/Belgium

In Vic:Rev you were able to make states and promote pops if you had a Full Citizenship party in power, but I don't think this is the case in V2.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I'm playing a game of V2 as Assyria in the NNM, and something that I've noticed could be a cool thing to add in HoD or a mod; two new NFs for encouraging cultural or religious assimilation. It ties up one of your NFs, but in exchange you can flip more people to your culture/religion. It seems like a fair enough trade (so long as the percent conversion boost isn't too high).

Fuligin posted:

New Nations adds some things that aren't just new cores/nations, but overall I'd say it's pretty easy to pick it up. My suggestion to get an idea of what you're doing is to play Brazil and just ask the thread questions, it's really the best way I can think of :(. Basically, to become a feared great power, you need prestige (from tech but probably easier winning wars), industry (build factroys by making capitalists, clerks, and craftsmen. You want a small percent of your pop to be capitalist (~1% in one province would frankly do it) kinda small percent clerks (~2% in each province) and then craftsmen nonstop), and a strong army (encourage soldiers in your highest population province). To research better, get 4% clergy in each province. During all this, declare wars frequently; make puppets, humiliate nations, force them to disarm etc.

The order of priorities; first get the 4% clergy, then get some capitalists, some clerks, and then when they're all set, get soldiers in your highest pop province, and craftsmen everywhere else (when they make up 40% of a provinces pop, move on to another one). Also go to war but don't bother taking any land for yourself because that will just give you uneducated pops (although make sure to take back any cored provinces not held by you or else late game you get fascist problems).

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
In Darkest Hour, in the 1936 scenario, it honestly feels like it's not worth industry building as any nation. I mean on paper it seems worthwhile but it takes 5 years for IC to pay for itself. Additionally you often have high dissent events or high starting dissent. This robs you a lot of IC anyway so you have to spend time clearing it, which wastes precious build time. Is there something I am missing or is it just better to start building/upgrading from the outset?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

DrProsek posted:

The order of priorities; first get the 4% clergy, then get some capitalists, some clerks, and then when they're all set, get soldiers in your highest pop province, and craftsmen everywhere else (when they make up 40% of a provinces pop, move on to another one). Also go to war but don't bother taking any land for yourself because that will just give you uneducated pops (although make sure to take back any cored provinces not held by you or else late game you get fascist problems).

It's also very important to get enough bureaucrats to max out your administrative efficiency, because that has a direct effect on your promotion rates. It's generally a good idea to get up to 1% bureaucrats in each state, since that will help with crime fighting as well.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

Fuligin posted:

This may sound like a joke but Haiti is a very fine choice for beginners.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Drone posted:

Dumb question: in EU3 you can rename provinces and cities, but is there any way to rename seazones? I'm weird and when I colonize the New World I like to give provinces language-specific names depending on what country I am and who's doing the colonizing (example, right now I'm playing as The Netherlands and have Brazil colonized).

I've only seen seazones have their names changed when using mods that have the Colony Name Change Mod integrated, so I imagine you'd need to script an event that changes the name of the seazones.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Zero One posted:

I started out pretty good as Belgium, took a few overseas territories, and became a Great Power but now my economy has gone to poo poo and I have no idea what to do. I've got a ton of unemployed craftsmen but my 5 factories are always failing so its not like I have too few.
Don't worry about unemployment. You will almost always have something better to worry about. To keep those factroys open, get a party that can open and subsidize factroys, you'll pay for their daily inputs. Once they're up to level 5 or so they should be able to keep going even if they're incredibly unprofitable. If you still have open factroy slots and unemployment, set your NF to convert more clerks. Once you get some stable factories in a state you don't really need to worry about it anymore. Factories come and go all the time.

You get to convert to a state when 1% of a colony's population are primary culture bureaucrats. Hover over the greyed out colony icon and it'll tell you what percentage you have now.

DrProsek posted:

To research better, get 4% clergy in each province. During all this, declare wars frequently; make puppets, humiliate nations, force them to disarm etc.
Literacy bonus maxes out at 2%, doesn't it?

quote:

Also go to war but don't bother taking any land for yourself because that will just give you uneducated pops (although make sure to take back any cored provinces not held by you or else late game you get fascist problems).
I disagree. Take land if it's going to end up as a colony (place in the sun vs a civilized nation, demand concession vs uncivilized). Their POPs don't affect your literacy score.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Literacy bonus maxes out at 2%, doesn't it?
Research bonus caps at 2. Literacy doesn't cap, but after 4 you're just wasting pops.

quote:

I disagree. Take land if it's going to end up as a colony (place in the sun vs a civilized nation, demand concession vs uncivilized). Their POPs don't affect your literacy score.

True, but if you're just starting as Brazil for the first time, going over to Africa or beating up a colonial empire is pretty tricky and might not be the best way to expand for a first time player; I tend to in those cases recommend colonialism once you secure your place in the world.

Fister Roboto posted:

It's also very important to get enough bureaucrats to max out your administrative efficiency, because that has a direct effect on your promotion rates. It's generally a good idea to get up to 1% bureaucrats in each state, since that will help with crime fighting as well.

Ooh good point; bureaucrats should be done after capitalists (since you don't need too many anyway) but before clerks.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.
Christ, we could really use a proper Kersch style tutorial LP of Vicky2. Especially if Heart of Dorkness makes it more of a game.

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.

DrProsek posted:

Ooh good point; bureaucrats should be done after capitalists (since you don't need too many anyway) but before clerks.

Always promote bureaucrats first
100% administration is more important than 4% clergy, since it doubles the promotion rate.
If you need 1% bureaucrats it will take less time to get 1% bureaucrats then 4% clergy than just 4% clergy.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Rannos22 posted:

Christ, we could really use a proper Kersch style tutorial LP of Vicky2. Especially if Heart of Dorkness makes it more of a game.

Yeah, seriously. I tried to get in on V2, playing as Brazil, but after a couple of hours of messing around not really sure what I was doing, Great Britain came in and just kicked my face in for no good reason, and I was completely helpless. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

WhitemageofDOOM posted:

Always promote bureaucrats first
100% administration is more important than 4% clergy, since it doubles the promotion rate.
If you need 1% bureaucrats it will take less time to get 1% bureaucrats then 4% clergy than just 4% clergy.
Capitalists shouldn't ever be a priority for the early game. They won't even have enough savings to do anything, and you won't have the tech to build any factories or railroads for a while.

I don't like Brazil, especially since Vicky 2's map is nigh unintelligible without zooming in. The USCA is a good trial by fire start that will get you juggling rebels, and you'll learn pretty quickly that sometimes you have to let the rebels win, and that it isn't the end of the world if they do.

• Locked thread