Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3538684

I think I may of overdid it a bit.

Edit: Woops; edited in the block requirement.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

So I acknowledge the thread title, but how is the build quality of the XL?

I've never had any sort of hardware breaking issues of anything Nintendo handheld related up until now, with my launch 3DS. In 2 years of average use the R shoulder button has given out, the d-pad has cracked and broken down to a rough, sharp edged painful to use mess and as of half an hour ago, the rubber covering of the circle pad has given up on life and lifted off the handheld itself.

I'm looking to upgrade to an XL eventually, but I sort of hope the it lasts somewhat longer in comparison.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I've only had it a short while, but so far it seems really sturdy and durable. I'm pretty satisfied with it.

Pottsdam
Sep 11, 2000

MY MEAT!
MY MEAAAATTTTT!
Should I get Fire Emblem or Etrian Oddysey IV? Let's say I can only get one.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Pottsdam posted:

Do you like sRPGs or dungeon crawlers more? Both of them are fantastic games.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wow, Mirror of Fate is not very good, based on the demo anyway. That's too bad, I was looking forward to a new Castlevania game. I guess I'll just try the 360 one instead.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Pottsdam posted:

Both are fantastic. Dungeon crawler with little story vs SRPG where there's a story, but the support conversations are really the highlight of the writing.

RBA Starblade posted:

Wow, Mirror of Fate is not very good, based on the demo anyway. That's too bad, I was looking forward to a new Castlevania game. I guess I'll just try the 360 one instead.

Get the ps3 copy if that's an option, the frame rate in both can be pretty bad at times, but the ps3 is the better of the 2 versions.

Norns fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Mar 16, 2013

Pottsdam
Sep 11, 2000

MY MEAT!
MY MEAAAATTTTT!

Norns posted:

Both are fantastic. Dungeon crawler with little story vs SRPG where there's a story, but the support conversations are really the highlight of the writing.
I have nothing against dungeon crawlers, but I loved Ghost Recon and I want some more of that so Fire Emblem it is!

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Pottsdam posted:

They're both so good that this is strictly a preference issue, basically. If you like SRPGs, get Fire Emblem, if you like Wizardry/JRPGs, get EO4. Better is to get both and not eat for a while.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I'm going to a nerd convention tomorrow, educate me on street pass. Do I just turn it on and let the good times roll? Do I need to have a specific cart in the slot depending on what I want?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Bean posted:

I'm going to a nerd convention tomorrow, educate me on street pass. Do I just turn it on and let the good times roll? Do I need to have a specific cart in the slot depending on what I want?

Nope, you'll get StreetPasses for any game you've played recently, and you don't have to have a game running to get StreetPasses.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

punchdaily posted:

My fiancee dragged me to a furry convention and I got 35 in less than an hour.

Sounds like a keeper!!

Pottsdam posted:

I have nothing against dungeon crawlers, but I loved Ghost Recon and I want some more of that so Fire Emblem it is!

You made a good choice. Ghost Recon wasn't bad but man you are in for a treat with Fire Emblem, it's an upgrade in every way. I don't know how experienced you are with SRPGs but FE:A is great because you can choose both the difficulty and if you want permadeath or not. So you could be playing on the hardest difficulty but not have characters die forever when you lose them, or play on Easy but still lose a dude if you manage to get them killed. It's pretty great all around.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The European version of Luigi's Mansion 2 has a glow-in-the-dark cover, neat:

poo poo's out in a week or two, someone should probably start a thread for it.

Booooo! Why don't we in the US get this?

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

Bean posted:

Just make sure you don't have the system running a DS game or a piece of DSiWare when trying to use StreetPass. When it has old software like that running it won't do the necessary wireless communication in the background while the system is asleep.

You can confirm which titles are using StreetPass by going into System Settings and checking StreetPass Management. The biggest one to have enabled is StreetPass Mii Plaza, of course, so if that one doesn't appear then re-open it before you go and make sure you enable it again.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bean posted:

Streetpass works in Sleep Mode; just leave the system on but closed all day.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Keep in mind it can only hold a certain amount of passes at a time, so periodically use them for puzzle pieces or a few rounds of Find Mii. If you're running into tons of people you can easily clear a few puzzles and earn a few hats really quickly.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Speaking of Streetpass, has anyone who enabled that thing on Nintendo 3DS Sound app got any hits? I got my only one a week ago, and I've had it enabled for months now. (Not that a lot of Streetpassing seem to happen in here parts, but anyway.)

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Rexroom posted:

Speaking of Streetpass, has anyone who enabled that thing on Nintendo 3DS Sound app got any hits? I got my only one a week ago, and I've had it enabled for months now. (Not that a lot of Streetpassing seem to happen in here parts, but anyway.)
Yes, but it's a bit weak. The streetpass doesn't actually show you what exact songs/artists other people are listening to, but rather polls them and aggregates all users into a "hit parade" that only activates if more than one person is listening to the same song. It also tells you what users you're most compatible with, in terms like "both listen to Purity Ring" or "both like music from the 80s".

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I'm kinda glad, because it's so awesome I would buy a physical copy just for a glow in the dark box rather than sticking to digital for all my purchases like I said.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Wait, can you use the 3ds as an mp3 player? How do I do that?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Pope Guilty posted:

Wait, can you use the 3ds as an mp3 player? How do I do that?

Put your songs on the SD card through a computer (I put them in a folder labeled "Music", but it can be anywhere) and open up the Sounds application. It'll continue playing when the 3DS is closed and you have headphones in.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Strange Quark posted:

Put your songs on the SD card through a computer (I put them in a folder labeled "Music", but it can be anywhere) and open up the Sounds application. It'll continue playing when the 3DS is closed and you have headphones in.

This thing just gets better and better! Shame I can't read ebooks/pdfs on it- my other handheld device is the Android equivalent of an iPod Touch and that's the one function I can't get on the 3DS.

e: I got Starfox 64 3D and it rules hard. I used to be so goddamned good at the original and my skills have seriously degraded over the last decade. Also the interface for Starfox 64 3D has a clock and a battery meter at the bottom of the bottom screen, and now I'm convinced that this should be mandatory for all titles.

Pope Guilty fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 16, 2013

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

The battery meter doesn't seem too important to me. Kid Icarus: Uprising constantly has one at the top right of the top screen, but leaving it there all the time just seemed unnecessary. Couldn't the game just notify me when the battery is low? I'm not complaining much since it is only a few pixels at most, but in my opinion its inclusion is just a little odd.

Now, a clock... gently caress that, I don't need to be reminded of how much time I'm wasting being a useless piece of poo poo who plays video games :reject:

yanthrax
Oct 18, 2004

straight in wit da barney rubble ridin spinnaz

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm actually enjoying this a lot more than I thought I would. You can write it off as me trying to justify buying a poorly rated game the week it came out without looking at any reviews, but I still feel the game has its merits. The game starts out extremely slow but once you get the combat cross upgrade to climb certain segments of the map and get to play as Alucard I thought it got a lot better.

I don't know why anyone expected a full-blown SotN-esque Castlevania game. It's clearly a game from the Lords of Shadow series, and Igarashi's isn't even attached to the project. I can see why people were disappointed, but it plays like a strange hybrid between the NES Castlevania/Super Castlevania but with the exploration elements of Symphony and I'm perfectly okay with that. I also really liked Lord of Shadow so maybe I'm just a terrible Castlevania fan who doesn't know what good is supposed to be.

Edit: Didn't read the discussion two pages back. Apparently I'm not the only one enjoying this game. I would say if you're curious at all, pick it up if you can find it cheap.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Strange Quark posted:

The only problem is it'll just loop the same track if you have the 3DS closed.

Caution Baby
Dec 26, 2006

you really don't remember anything important, do you, br'er lappin?

yanthrax posted:

I don't know why anyone expected a full-blown SotN-esque Castlevania game.
I didn't expect one, I just think it's awful that Konami took one of their only consistently enjoyable series with very unique, singular gameplay features and a great aesthetic, and threw it out to have a completely amateur western developer make a 15 fps God of War clone in its stead.

yanthrax
Oct 18, 2004

straight in wit da barney rubble ridin spinnaz

Caution Baby posted:

I didn't expect one, I just think it's awful that Konami took one of their only consistently enjoyable series with very unique, singular gameplay features and a great aesthetic, and threw it out to have a completely amateur western developer make a 15 fps God of War clone in its stead.

Does MercurySteam even count as a western developer? As far as I know, they were a developer located in Spain. People are going to complain either way. If you release another SotN-esque game someone else is just going to cry foul and say Konami isn't innovating enough and just making more of the same games. Don't get me wrong, I do love those games but I remember the consensus being that the DS titles got worse. I don't agree with this sentiment at all, seeing as I enjoyed Portrait of Ruin the most out of the three. I still don't think the demo does the game justice but anyone who already has a negative impression from the demo probably wouldn't be willing to give the full version a few more hours of their time.

I do kind of agree with you regarding framerate. That, and the black load screens when switching between zones or using teleporters are really obnoxious.

yanthrax fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 16, 2013

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sire Oblivion posted:

The only problem is it'll just loop the same track if you have the 3DS closed.

I always have it set to shuffle and I've never had that problem.

It won't shuffle right if you exit the application and continue where you left off though. It'll just play the tracks in sequential order.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Do you know for sure we don't?

Also,
Quite appropriate.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

yanthrax posted:

Does MercurySteam even count as a western developer? As far as I know, they were a developer located in Spain.

Spain counts as the west, guy. Anything in Europe and the Americas is "western."

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
Crossposting from the game deals thread, but starting tomorrow (3/17), Best Buy is having a clearance sale on a bunch of games. Here are the DS and 3DS ones up for sale.

• 3DS - Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! - 9.99
  • 3DS - Classic Games Overload - 7.99
  • 3DS - Finding Nemo: Escape to the big blue - 9.99
  • 3DS - Pokemon Rumble Blast - 9.99
  • 3DS - Rabbids Rumble - 7.99
  • 3DS - Rayman Origins - 7.99
  • 3DS - The Trash Pack - 9.99

• NDS - Finding Nemo: Escape to the big blue - 7.99
  • NDS - Kirby Mass Attack - 7.99
  • NDS - Lego Ninjago Bundle - 9.99

The only one I know to avoid is Rayman since the 3DS port is pretty eh compared to the other versions. The only ones I know are supposed to be okay are Adventure Time (even though it's like 4 hours long, $10 seems pretty decent for a game that length) and Kirby.

I have no idea if it'll be online as well, but since Kirby Mass Attack isn't on there aside from pre-owned copies, I kinda doubt it. It is online, but some of the games appear to have been sold out pretty fast like Kirby.

Obeast fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Mar 17, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
fifty million edits and I didn't notice dude's post right above me, oops

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Mar 17, 2013

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

fifty million edits and I didn't notice dude's post right above me, oops

Thanks for the direct link to Adventure Time, at least. :)

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Obeast posted:

The only one I know to avoid is Rayman since the 3DS port is pretty eh compared to the other versions.

Man really? I avoided the Steam sale on the PC version yesterday because I was incredibly underwhelmed by the 3DS demo. How hard could it have been to make all the versions equal?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

With Luigi coming out soon I'm trying to decide which free game I want to get since I bought an XL recently and haven't registered it yet.

Since I already own 3DLand, I have to decide if I want to get StarFox for ~nostalgia~, Art Academy for being a boss at art, or Professor Layton for something that resembles an actual game. Decisions decisions!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Starfox is really good! It got the same art treatment Ocarina of Time did and looks really nice. Also they added a bunch of features like being able to quit and then hop back into your game later between planets, and you only need 1 cart to play Battle with 4 local players.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

kater posted:

Man really? I avoided the Steam sale on the PC version yesterday because I was incredibly underwhelmed by the 3DS demo. How hard could it have been to make all the versions equal?

The 3DS has a tiny resolution, there's absolutely no way it could display all that art at anything resembling its normal size.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
The 3DS version is not representative of proper versions like the PS3/360/PC versions, it's a loving fantastic game and it's beautiful when you can actually show the art at full resolution. Plus you can actually see what you're doing.

I was just playing around with the Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate demo and I was kinda surprised by how good it looks and how smooth it runs. How do things like Mirror of Fate happen when Capcom is able to get graphics like this out of the thing? I mean, look at Resident Evil Revelations for christ sake. Even though it has some frame rate drops it definitely looks way better than Mirror of Fate, by a long shot.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I imagine Mirror of Fate had a much smaller budget than those other games, but more than anything else they probably figured people wouldn't care. I mean, Lords of Shadow runs like crap too but it still managed to outsell every other Castlevania game somehow.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

I wish more developers would try and get a high framerate in 3d.. :( Whenever I come across a 60fps 3d game it is always so much more pleasant to play and easier on the eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

kater posted:

I avoided the Steam sale on the PC version yesterday

You just did a grave mistake! That is the better version of all systems.

Quidnose posted:

I have to decide if I want to get StarFox for ~nostalgia~, Art Academy for being a boss at art, or Professor Layton for something that resembles an actual game.

Starfox is so short I wouldn't pay full price for it, so this is a good opportunity to get on that ship (:v:). On the other hand, Art Academy is the perfect title to be installed at all times in the system. I would buy Layton separately.

• Locked thread