Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

So I was going back trying to upgrade my bow and skills before I hit the point of no return when I ran into a glitch in Shantytown, now I am stuck and cant continue. Every time I reload the checkpoint, I start at the same glitched location. I reinstalled the game, same problem. Anybody with the PC version have any suggestions? Are there any cheats that will let me fast travel out of this place or am I either going to have to wait until a patch or restart the game?

Found a video on youtube, looks like another guy has the exact same problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aMD3UYjfGU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Careful Sally
Oct 12, 2011
WHITE MEN CAN'T JUMP IN COMPUTAR GAMES!!!
Finished this game a few days ago and absolutely adored it. I have been a fan of Lara Croft since the beginning and didn't expect much of this, but was blown away by how much it felt like a Tomb Raider game. The woman who voiced Lara was perfect. I have never played any of the Uncharted games so I'm not sure how much of a copy it is or isn't. The optional tombs were fun (my favorite was the windy temple one), but I felt that they became easier the more I progressed through the game. As someone who is terrible at FPS games, I am relieved that the pew-pew-pew sections weren't too frustrating. I restarted instances frequently to see the different ways that I could attack, specifically if I could be more stealthy or sneaky (even though Lara Croft was never really all that stealthy -- the early Tomb Raider games even had auto-aim).

Spoiler about weapon upgrade: The part where you get the flame arrows and then are forced into a massive fight with a bunch of enemies, I about fell over when she took out her bow and arrow to show off the flame arrows -- why would you do that?! That's one instance where I just pulled out my automatic rifle and just plowed them down with bullets.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Careful Sally posted:

Finished this game a few days ago and absolutely adored it. I have been a fan of Lara Croft since the beginning and didn't expect much of this, but was blown away by how much it felt like a Tomb Raider game. The woman who voiced Lara was perfect. I have never played any of the Uncharted games so I'm not sure how much of a copy it is or isn't. The optional tombs were fun (my favorite was the windy temple one), but I felt that they became easier the more I progressed through the game. As someone who is terrible at FPS games, I am relieved that the pew-pew-pew sections weren't too frustrating. I restarted instances frequently to see the different ways that I could attack, specifically if I could be more stealthy or sneaky (even though Lara Croft was never really all that stealthy -- the early Tomb Raider games even had auto-aim).

Spoiler about weapon upgrade: The part where you get the flame arrows and then are forced into a massive fight with a bunch of enemies, I about fell over when she took out her bow and arrow to show off the flame arrows -- why would you do that?! That's one instance where I just pulled out my automatic rifle and just plowed them down with bullets.

Sounds like someone missed a few courses in badass. In case you didn't notice, the camera goes in to slow motion and the dudes shooting at you are standing knee deep in jet fuel.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

So I'm playing Tomb Raider Underworld and holy poo poo am I ever senselessly murdering people with Mjolnir.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
There's a new nvidia beta driver out specifically for Tomb Raider, although it doesn't seem all that much better for me (it was fine before really, except TressFX is a ridiculous hog).

edit: after playing for a while and then running the benchmark thing again later there is in fact a pretty significant improvement, it's just tressfx still sucks

Dogen fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 16, 2013

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

The new driver did improve my fps, but still didn't solve the game breaking glitch in Shantytown for me. I am just going to start over on hard and hope it doesn't happen again. Cant be that mad, I like the game so much I was going to play through a second time anyway, now I have something to look forward to.. seeing the end of the game.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Dogen posted:

There's a new nvidia beta driver out specifically for Tomb Raider, although it doesn't seem all that much better for me (it was fine before really, except TressFX is a ridiculous hog).

edit: after playing for a while and then running the benchmark thing again later there is in fact a pretty significant improvement, it's just tressfx still sucks

Things like TressFX and fluid simulations is why I always have a hearty laugh to myself whenever somebody posts that old chestnut, "we have photorealstic graphics already! Where can they possibly go from here?"

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

I'm told the beta driver also fixes issues with graphic driver crashing with tessellation enabled, have not tried it yet myself, but it's great if they did fix that.

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho

notZaar posted:

Things like TressFX and fluid simulations is why I always have a hearty laugh to myself whenever somebody posts that old chestnut, "we have photorealstic graphics already! Where can they possibly go from here?"

I have no idea why the facial animation tech Enslaved and L.A. Noir used isn't in every game by now. Yeah it's expensive but so what, AAA releases have a huge budget anyway, and computer animated faces look terrible.

We don't have photo-realistic graphics at all, unless you count CryEngine3 that is now able to create metal bars, barrels, crates, walls and helmets that look totally incredible. I think in 2 years or so wall tiles will look so good you'll think it's your loving bathroom, not a bathroom inside a videogame (with crates). We're getting there.

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant
The new patch plus nvidia beta drivers really sorted the game out for me.

Only ssaa and the new ultra shadow settings push things into out of bounds - the tressfx looks a lot better and runs better too.
This is with a 680gtx btw.

One thing - are there any readme or tech docs around concerning 3d?
This game doesnt seem to have any readme info at all and the option is greyed out.
I have a samsung 750d monitor and need to rely on native game support like how crysis 3 provides. It's not a 3dvision supporting monitor.

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!
Yeah, the beta drivers dramatically increased performance for me. Cross-posted from the SHSC GPU thread:

code:
	314.07	314.21 (beta)

Tomb Raider - Ultra settings
min	18.20	44.05
max	33.95	61.30
avg	31.20	52.70

Tomb Raider - Ultimate settings
min	 8.35	24.85
max	26.20	42.80
avg	22.05	33.85
This is on a 680 GTX.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Paino posted:

I have no idea why the facial animation tech Enslaved and L.A. Noir used isn't in every game by now. Yeah it's expensive but so what, AAA releases have a huge budget anyway, and computer animated faces look terrible.

We don't have photo-realistic graphics at all, unless you count CryEngine3 that is now able to create metal bars, barrels, crates, walls and helmets that look totally incredible. I think in 2 years or so wall tiles will look so good you'll think it's your loving bathroom, not a bathroom inside a videogame (with crates). We're getting there.

Well, uniformly shiny poo poo is the easiest stuff to render.

The problem is that we've gotten to the point where the gains are less noticeable. Diminishing returns and all that so we won't have major leaps like when we went to per-pixel lighting. The next generation will probably be about tons of particles and volumetric effects at first. Then we'll get into more detailed global illumination; that can be a more subtle effect though it makes stuff look much more realistic when done well.

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002

loudog999 posted:

So I was going back trying to upgrade my bow and skills before I hit the point of no return when I ran into a glitch in Shantytown, now I am stuck and cant continue. Every time I reload the checkpoint, I start at the same glitched location. I reinstalled the game, same problem. Anybody with the PC version have any suggestions? Are there any cheats that will let me fast travel out of this place or am I either going to have to wait until a patch or restart the game?

Found a video on youtube, looks like another guy has the exact same problem.

I hit the same type of issue but in the 360 version. I was able to correct it by restarting my game and then reloading my save. Apparently a patch is coming out pretty soon that addresses this specific issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3PQ3k7mdyY

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

notZaar posted:

Eh? We're kind of hitting diminishing returns at this point. Well more subtle details can still be added and all, they're probably things that you won't take note unless you settled down for a sec to examine it. It really depends how much time/effort is needed for that extra polish there.

If anything else I think they're going to ramp up the scale on things in the future. Larger worlds and more NPCs all over, that sorta thing.

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant

Drakes posted:

Eh? We're kind of hitting diminishing returns at this point. Well more subtle details can still be added and all, they're probably things that you won't take note unless you settled down for a sec to examine it. It really depends how much time/effort is needed for that extra polish there.

If anything else I think they're going to ramp up the scale on things in the future. Larger worlds and more NPCs all over, that sorta thing.

I kind of see what you are saying, but a lot of effects that have been introduced have to be used sparingly with current hardware. Its very limited.

Tesselation for example is mostly used on some organic forms - waves, pipes and people mostly.
It might be sometime before we see it being deployed on lots of objects as standard - its starting to take over from parralax and bump mapping, but its still a way off.

SSAO is another effect that is great at adding depth to a scene - but on current hardware isnt that precise and sacrafices quality for performance.

There are a ton of other effects that the film industry use to make things photo realistic that chip makers cant implement, yet. Most games no matter how realistic we think they look are mostly very stylised. A lot of this comes down to how artists and programmers find uses for these effects.

CheechLizard
Jul 1, 2000

It stays at 50%, goy!
am I the only one who... no. no.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSK7z_UI0hc

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

What the gently caress.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Jesus H. Christ. gently caress everything.

"Not impossible to masturbate to." :gonk:

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

What is this games multiplayer like? I actually really really enjoyed the multiplayer in uncharted 2/3, the high mobility scampering combined with traditional shooter multiplayer game modes actually made for a really fun experience.
How does the multiplayer in this shake out? Do they make good use of your mobility with map design like uncharted did?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I honestly didn't have any fun with it, but I feel like that probably has something to do with using a controller to play on the PC. I'll probably have to suck it up and relearn the game with M + KB to not be terrible.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Drakes posted:

There's so much room for advancement besides polygon count and texture size. Physics, simulations, having characters actually interacting with the world without clipping through geometry and bugging out. 3D tech has been very focused on making pretty corridors or limited areas to explore, we're not even scratching the surface of real time simulation.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Does anyone here like steelbook cases? I got it with my copy at Target bit am trading the game in now that I beat it. Figured I would check and see if anyone wanted to swap cases before I did.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

gibbed posted:

I'm told the beta driver also fixes issues with graphic driver crashing with tessellation enabled, have not tried it yet myself, but it's great if they did fix that.

The game patch fixed tessellation for me.

I get the sense there were way more problems with 600 series cards for some reason.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

DangerKat posted:

Does anyone here like steelbook cases? I got it with my copy at Target bit am trading the game in now that I beat it. Figured I would check and see if anyone wanted to swap cases before I did.
Is it a pretty cool case? I might be interested. :toot: I mean I think steelbook cases are pretty slick, and the version I got came in a big metal "Survival Tin" but the game itself was in the normal green Xbox360 case.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Dogen posted:

The game patch fixed tessellation for me.

I get the sense there were way more problems with 600 series cards for some reason.

Yeah, I've had basically zero issues with my 560 so it seems weirdly specific to the 600 series.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

notZaar posted:

There's so much room for advancement besides polygon count and texture size. Physics, simulations, having characters actually interacting with the world without clipping through geometry and bugging out. 3D tech has been very focused on making pretty corridors or limited areas to explore, we're not even scratching the surface of real time simulation.

Exactly having the world "exist" beyond some cleverly placed polygons, even graphics wise we have character's that look "good" now but we can only have a few on the screen before consoles start making GBS threads themselves so we have room to grow for certain.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

Is it a pretty cool case? I might be interested. :toot: I mean I think steelbook cases are pretty slick, and the version I got came in a big metal "Survival Tin" but the game itself was in the normal green Xbox360 case.

Sorry, I thought I said I had the PS3 version, which isn't an issue for the steelbook but would be for my trade in.

I like it but as it was when I got one for Assassins Creed 3, the clips for the manuals and stuff aren't placed for PS3 sized so it's kind of annoying to have them flop about whenever I open it.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Apparently I'm retarded because I've looked through all the menu screens and I can't find where the challenges are. Could someone tell me? :saddowns:

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

...! posted:

Apparently I'm retarded because I've looked through all the menu screens and I can't find where the challenges are. Could someone tell me? :saddowns:

Each area has a challenge like "light this many flags on fire" or "blow up this many landmines". You start each challenge by doing the first part of it. So in the first area, you'll start the challenge by shooting down the first totem. Looking at the map legend can give you a general idea of what you're going to be looking for to start the challenge.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

Why would you upload this?

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant

socialsecurity posted:

Exactly having the world "exist" beyond some cleverly placed polygons, even graphics wise we have character's that look "good" now but we can only have a few on the screen before consoles start making GBS threads themselves so we have room to grow for certain.

That always bums me out about games - there's always something off in the distance you want to check out - but it's a usually a poorly detailed prop.

Example in point is the battleship in this game - looks like it would be fun to explore - but its not accessable. If it was, and it had the attention to detail, it would probably bring that beach level frame rate down to crawl, unless they had some kind of transition/loading point. It's probably why so many bits in TR have Lara crawl slowly between map sections as its secretly loading and unloading assets.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

4 Day Weekend posted:

Why would you upload this?

They did this in the Gametrailers review too. Beats the hell out of me what anybody gets from it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

notZaar posted:

They did this in the Gametrailers review too. Beats the hell out of me what anybody gets from it.
Really? One thing is seeing a random video from a random internet weirdo and another is seeing a review with something like that. This is pathetic.

Ash.W
Aug 2, 2004

bonk bonk

Palpek posted:

Really? One thing is seeing a random video from a random internet weirdo and another is seeing a review with something like that. This is pathetic.

Come on, how long until mod tools feature naked Lara? You've got to expect pathetic.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

notZaar posted:

the guy i quoted was the same guy that uploaded it. Hopefully we get an answer.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Ash.W posted:

Come on, how long until mod tools feature naked Lara? You've got to expect pathetic.
I just read your post when I saw this video on Gametrailers:

http://www.gametrailers.com/full-episodes/v3fcvl/pop-fiction-episode-33--nude-raider

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
I liked the fact Lara references her wound from the beginning of the game as the story progresses. She's often holding it when there's a traumatic scenes, and it's nice they remind you that she's still hurt. It's easy to give your characters horrible wounds, only to forget about them as soon as it's inconvenient to remember your characters are hurt. It's lazy, and I'm glad they didn't take that route.

I still haven't finished it. I'm just exploring the coast still, collecting everything. I noticed as I progressed that Lara moves a lot like she does in Anniversary/Underworld. I noticed it when I was climbing around the outside cliffs area. I'm not even sure if her animations are any different as the game progresses, because I remember her having a hard time balancing on that tree root at the beginning of the game, and I think she just walks across beams like they were nothing now. Maybe not though, but it would be a nice touch that she's really changed and isn't afraid to, say, hang off the side of a cliff like it's nothing. I'm also digging her no bullshit treatment of the senior archeologist. Whitman or something.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
New driver and patch let me progress but my graphics still break later when climbing the stairs after the first axe upgrade and opening the door with Whitman. Reloading without TressFX doesn't help so it's something else like tessellation.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Carecat posted:

New driver and patch let me progress but my graphics still break later when climbing the stairs after the first axe upgrade and opening the door with Whitman. Reloading without TressFX doesn't help so it's something else like tessellation.

Yeah, tessellation is the biggie, for me (GTX 660). The game update helped a little, inasmuch as the game would run for more than 30 seconds a time, but it was far from stable, so tessellation remains off for now. A shame, because the game looks spectacular with it on. Having got back into PC gaming in the last few months (Sept '12 to be precise), this is the first game I've had an issue with, out of a couple of dozen purchased. Still a bummer though, to be sure.

I *haven't* tried the beta drivers at this time because, well, I'm still paranoid about drivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Isn't tessellation pretty compute-heavy? Maybe that has something to do with the problems with 600s since they have cut down compute performance.

• Locked thread