Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I can barely fathom people who get pissed about pressing 1 for English. It's ignorant, racist poo poo and as a multilingual I say gently caress you.

I really want a list of customer service numbers I can call where this is actually a thing that exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Sardine Wit posted:

Six million jews and ten million christians murdered by the nazis..?

I missed that line. Whenever someone says that, and I've seen it a few times, it always comes across as trying to steal the Holocaust's thunder, unintentionally. They'd never admit it, because "the Holocaust is the Jew's thing" but secretly "actually" it was worse for Christians, in a History Channel documentary, revisionist history sort of way. Like, the person saying that is being the bigger man and letting the Jews keep their memorial but we all know what really happened.

Plus, you know, the total intellectual dishonesty of confusing combat deaths with a systematic slaughter of civilians.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

XyloJW posted:

I missed that line. Whenever someone says that, and I've seen it a few times, it always comes across as trying to steal the Holocaust's thunder, unintentionally. They'd never admit it, because "the Holocaust is the Jew's thing" but secretly "actually" it was worse for Christians, in a History Channel documentary, revisionist history sort of way. Like, the person saying that is being the bigger man and letting the Jews keep their memorial but we all know what really happened.

Plus, you know, the total intellectual dishonesty of confusing combat deaths with a systematic slaughter of civilians.

Plus it's supremely unlikely that every single World War 2 combat death was a Christian.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

Parachute posted:

I really want a list of customer service numbers I can call where this is actually a thing that exists.

Seriously.

"Para Espanol, oprima numero dos."

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.
Hadn't seen this one before, but all the awful FWDs in this thread eventually meld together until all I can remember is "gently caress you, got mine." So this may be a repost

quote:

‎* If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally … you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

* If you have to get your parents’ permission to go on a field trip or take an aspirin in school, but not to get an abortion … you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

* If you have to show identification to board an airplane, cash a check, buy liquor, or check out a library book, but not to vote who runs the government … you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

* If the government wants to ban stable, law-abiding citizens from owning gun magazines with more than ten rounds, but gives 20 F-16 fighter jets to the crazy new leaders in Egypt … you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

* If, in the largest city, you can buy two 16-ounce sodas, but not a 24-ounce soda because 24-ounces of a sugary drink might make you fat … you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

Don't read this!

* If an 80-year-old woman can be stripped searched by the TSA but a woman in a hijab is only subject to having her neck and head searched … you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

* If your government believes that the best way to eradicate trillions of dollars of debt is to spend trillions more … you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

* If a seven year old boy can be thrown out of school for saying his teacher is “cute,” but hosting a sexual exploration or diversity class in grade school is perfectly acceptable … you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

* If children are forcibly removed from parents who discipline them with spankings while children of addicts are left in filth and drug infested “homes”… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

* If hard work and success are met with higher taxes and more government intrusion, while not working is rewarded with EBT cards, WIC checks, Medicaid, subsidized housing, and free cell phones … you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

* If the government’s plan for getting people back to work is to incentivize NOT working with 99 weeks of Unemployment checks and no requirement to prove they applied but can’t find work … you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

* If you pay your mortgage faithfully, denying yourself the newest big screen TV while your neighbor buys iPhones, TV’s and new cars, and the government forgives his debt when he defaults on his mortgage … you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

* If being stripped of the ability to defend yourself makes you more “safe” according to the government … you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

What a country!!!!

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I don't have problems pushing buttons, but the IRS does require you to select a language, it's even 1 for English. It's the only auto-attendant I've ever noticed doing this.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
I saw a quote last night in the book I'm reading, "Shadow of the Silk Road". It's a travel book by Colin Thurbon. He was in Kyrgyzstan at that part of the book, and Manas kept coming up throughout the chapter. He was at the supposed tomb for Manas outside of Talas watching pilgrims and brought up the quote from Renan, "A nation is bound not by real past, but by the stories it tells itself: by what it remembers, and what it forgets."

That quote is the only thing I can think of now whenever anyone mentions the founding fathers

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Sulphuric Sundae posted:

Hadn't seen this one before, but all the awful FWDs in this thread eventually meld together until all I can remember is "gently caress you, got mine." So this may be a repost

If your fellow countrymen believe these items to be literally true... You might be in a country founded by geniuses and run by idiots.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Has anyone here ever actually had to 'press 1 for English'? I make a lot of phone calls, and automated responses always seem to offer a Spanish option, but default to English when nothing is pressed. Also, I'm Hispanic and I call a lot of Hispanic organizations, and even THEY default to English. PLUS I live in New York.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Dirty Job posted:

Has anyone here ever actually had to 'press 1 for English'? I make a lot of phone calls, and automated responses always seem to offer a Spanish option, but default to English when nothing is pressed. Also, I'm Hispanic and I call a lot of Hispanic organizations, and even THEY default to English. PLUS I live in New York.

You have to press 1 for English when calling the line to check the balance on your EBT card(at least here in CT), because you know, Obama is giving away all our welfare to illegals and such.

But then you also have to type in like 18 more numbers.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I've had to press 1 a handful of times, but I'm also not inconvenienced by having to touch my telephone once or twice a call so I guess I don't keep a running record of these grave injustices like these people seem to.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Sulphuric Sundae posted:

For some reason the part where is continually refers to the founders as 'geniuses' bothers me the most. A lot of the points are either not entirely truthful or just basic bullshit that most bureaucratic democracies deal with, but there aren't any examples given as to how our society functioned perfectly one or two hundred years ago. I just find it astonishing that so many people think our country was founded as a utopia and has since crumbled. Quite frankly I don;t even know why we ended slavery or established antitrust laws.

edit: I suppose it reminds me a lot of that old vs. young 'green' forward. It makes some good points about our current lovely generation, but completely avoids discussing any sort of historical precedent or culture of shittiness that our country may have had.

Ror fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 15, 2013

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Amused to Death posted:

You have to press 1 for English when calling the line to check the balance on your EBT card(at least here in CT), because you know, Obama is giving away all our welfare to illegals and such.

Unemployment and Veteran's Affairs stuff (in IL) is the same way.

Oh poo poo, that must be it! Some old racist ex-Marine is probably steaming mad over having to press '1' to do anything with his VA benefits.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
You'd think if the nuts wanted any particular face of Brave Person Defying the Nazis, they'd use Oskar Schlinder, because that dude created jobs! He was a self-made man! He made weapons for the war effort!

But nope. Then again I'm sure those people would also hate that Schlinder saved all those people on his own dime, so that negates the Profit = Godliness part of their minds.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

Sulphuric Sundae posted:

quote:

What a country!!!!

Found the author:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Imperialist Dog posted:

When I was in Beijing there were some tourists from Henan at the forbidden city arguing about what country the Cantonese-speaking people from Guangdong province were from.

(drat foreigners)

Oh Henan, never change. :rolleyes: (How did you know they were from Henan?)

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:

Arglebargle III posted:

Oh Henan, never change. :rolleyes: (How did you know they were from Henan?)

Wife told me :downs:

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012
The week in LL101:

Drones / Gun Control

Guns / Abortion

Uh... Irony, I guess

Race?

Gun control

Economy

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
The attacks on Mark Kelly, whose wife was shot in the head by an armed lunatic, viscerally disgust me.

/edit

Also the attacks make no sense. "But he just bought an AR-157whatever" Yes. To demonstrate how easy it is to get one. You acknowledge that in your second panel, you loving dumbass! It's not like he was trying to hypocritically protect himself with a gun you loving dumbass.

(Analogy: "I support lower taxes." "But you just paid taxes the other day. CHECK AND MATE, HYPOCRITE.")

"And he doesn't have it yet so it can't be that easy to get one!" Fact check: Kelly didn't yet have his gun not because of anything that would prevent a gun from getting in the hands of a criminal or lunatic, it was a resold gun and a local law mandates that police make sure the gun wasn't being sold BY a criminal. TRUTH BOMB MOTHERFUCKERS I'M OUT

MisterBadIdea fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 16, 2013

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I love how conservatives are so hatefilled they can't see when they can actually agree with liberals on something once in a blue moon (i.e. drone strikes).

"Well...we don't like them. And Obummer is doing it, so liberals must LOVE them!"

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 16, 2013

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
Edit: Wrong Thread.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So...why the gently caress would anyone assume Obama wanted to be Pope? I don't even get it. Has Obama even publicly acknowledged the new Pope in any way?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I love those because they make a joke. Then they explain the joke. Then they have to throw in another joke (and another one after that for good measure).

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

So...why the gently caress would anyone assume Obama wanted to be Pope? I don't even get it. Has Obama even publicly acknowledged the new Pope in any way?

If Obama dictator, why not Pope? :smug:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Spiritus Nox posted:

It's a race card joke. Anytime a black man is denied anything they pull the race card. Those silly blacks.

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Liberals are so obsessed with race that they think the only reason anyone wouldn't choose Obama for anything/everything is because anyone who opposes Obama is racist.

They're so obsessed with race I made a meme about how racist they are.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Mitchicon posted:

If Obama dictator, why not Pope? :smug:

Being Pope would be a step down. Dictators, especially those with big cults of personality like they think Obama has, have essentially papal infallibility in the way most people think papal infallibility works

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Sir Rolo posted:

Liberals are so obsessed with race that they think the only reason anyone wouldn't choose Obama for anything/everything is because anyone who opposes Obama is racist.

They're so obsessed with race I made a meme about how racist they are.

So, a Tea Party seminar on race rapidly fell apart at CPAC 2013.

http://www.businessinsider.com/cpac-tea-party-event-racism--2013-3

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Mitchicon posted:

So, a Tea Party seminar on race rapidly fell apart at CPAC 2013.

http://www.businessinsider.com/cpac-tea-party-event-racism--2013-3

" demanded justice for white voters" sounds about fuckin right :negative:

e: "Look, you know there’s no doubt the white males are getting really beat up right now, it’s unfair,” she said. :suicide:

myron cope fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 16, 2013

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Yeah, the CPAC stuff has consisted of a lot of speeches ripped almost entirely from political emails.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 16, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I'm glad to see that the Republican Party is doing nothing to distance itself from the nut cases that are destroying it.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
There are a few things that article left out, such as the audience member asking why the mainstream Republican party didn't support the idea of the races being 'separate but equal', rambling about Constitutional protections of free association, and ending by quietly saying 'why can't we just have segregation?'

Oh, and the guy who said something wrong, was corrected on it by a woman in the audience, and snapped back 'I didn't know the legacy of the Republican Party included women correcting men in public.' :mrapig:

The whole panel is a blast to watch if you're the kind of person who likes seeing the Republican Party destroy itself, I'd highly suggest tracking it down.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Mister Bates posted:

Oh, and the guy who said something wrong, was corrected on it by a woman in the audience, and snapped back 'I didn't know the legacy of the Republican Party included women correcting men in public.' :mrapig:

This...actually happened? This year?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mister Bates posted:

There are a few things that article left out, such as the audience member asking why the mainstream Republican party didn't support the idea of the races being 'separate but equal', rambling about Constitutional protections of free association, and ending by quietly saying 'why can't we just have segregation?'

The whole panel is a blast to watch if you're the kind of person who likes seeing the Republican Party destroy itself, I'd highly suggest tracking it down.

Jesus christ, are you serious? Did they seriously advocate segregation - and not have the media (sans Fox, natch) start a feeding frenzy?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Here's a short video of part of the panel (specifically the part with Segregation Guy). There were recordings of the entire panel but they appear to have been pulled from YouTube. http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/03/15/1729331/cpac-slavery-minority-outreach/

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Reaching out "at the expense" of white voters. What does this even mean. Goddamn.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I don't have enough popcorn for this.

Ana Lucia Cortez
Mar 22, 2008

Haven't seen this posted yet.

quote:

Who died before they could draw their Social Security

KEEP PASSING THIS AROUND UNTIL EVERY ONE HAS HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO READ IT...
THIS IS SURE SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT!!!!
THE ONLY THING WRONG WITH THE GOVERNMENT'S CALCULATION OF AVAILABLE SOCIAL SECURITY IS THEY FORGOT TO FIGURE IN THE PEOPLE WHO DIED BEFORE THEY EVER COLLECTED A SOCIAL SECURITY CHECK!!!
WHERE DID THATMONEY GO?
Remember, not only did you and I contribute to Social Security but your employer did, too.
It totaled 15% of your income before taxes.
If you averaged only $30K over your working life, that's close to $220,500.
Read that again.
Did you see where the Government paid in one single penny?
We are talking about the money you and your employer put in a Government bank to insure you and I that we would have a retirement check from the money we put in, not the Government.
Now they are calling the money we put in an entitlement when we reach the age to take it back.
If you calculate the future invested value of $4,500 per year (yours & your employer's contribution) at a simple 5% interest (less than what the Government pays on the money that it borrows), after 49 years of working you'd
have $892,919.98.
If you took out only 3% per year, you'd receive $26,787.60 per year and it would last better than 30 years (until you're 95 if you retire at age 65) and that's with no interest paid on that final amount on deposit!
If you bought an annuity and it paid 4% per year, you'd have a lifetime income of $2,976.40 per month.
Another thing with me.... I have two deceased husbands who died in their 50's, (one was 51 and the other one was 59 before one percent of their social security could be drawn.
I worked all my life and am drawing 100% on my own social security).
Their S.S. money will never have one cent drawn from what they paid into S.S. all their lives.
THE FOLKS IN WASHINGTON HAVE PULLED OFF A BIGGER PONZI SCHEME THAN BERNIE MADOFF EVER DID.
Entitlement my foot, I paid cash for my social security insurance!
Just because they borrowed the money for other government spending, doesn't make my benefits some kind of charity or handout!!
Remember Congressional benefits? --- free healthcare, outrageous retirement packages, 67 paid holidays, three weeks paid vacation, unlimited paid sick days.
Now that's welfare, and they have the nerve to call my social security retirement payments entitlements?
We're "broke" and we can't help our own Seniors, Veterans, Orphans, or Homeless.
Yet in the last few months we have provided aid to Haiti, Chile and Turkey.
And now Pakistan......home of bin Laden.
Literally, BILLIONS of DOLLARS!!!
And they can't help our own citizens in New York and New Jersey!
They call Social Security and Medicare an entitlement even though most of us have been paying for it all our working lives, and now, when it's time for us to collect, the government is running out of money.
Why did the government borrow from it in the first place?
It was supposed to be in a locked box, not part of the general fund.
Sad isn't it.
99% of people won't have the guts to forward this.
I'm in the 1% --
I just did.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mister Bates posted:

Here's a short video of part of the panel (specifically the part with Segregation Guy). There were recordings of the entire panel but they appear to have been pulled from YouTube. http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/03/15/1729331/cpac-slavery-minority-outreach/

There's no :wtc: big enough. I had a debate with some Facebook contacts a couple months back about how back in the mid-terms there was a dare to find video of overt racism in a Tea Party gathering but no one ever stepped up. I guess I should call it in now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

gradenko_2000 posted:

There's no :wtc: big enough. I had a debate with some Facebook contacts a couple months back about how back in the mid-terms there was a dare to find video of overt racism in a Tea Party gathering but no one ever stepped up. I guess I should call it in now.

Well if you do, just prepare for "this just proves that YOU'RE the real racist"