Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 hours!

Eel hovercraft posted:

The final panel in this is just brilliant.

JU WANN SOME MOCHA CHICA?!

I personally liked the Ziploc'ed prime rib left to sit in the tub at 120°F for five days dish that Ray was going to serve. :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Android Blues posted:

e: also, wow, read the blogs! Some are weaker/less in-depth than others but most of them are magnificently well-written, interlink with the strips which were released at the same time, and feature fully developed independent storylines for each character. Big reccs in particular are Ray, Lyle and Cornelius.

I will never not love Teodor's tale of Ray, Lyle, and the Cowboy Office.

Once while drunk and bored at a party I slapped a sign reading "COWBOY OFFICE" on the front door of my friend's house, written in magic marker and held in place with duct tape. I promptly forgot about this. Several hours later, as everyone slept, my friend's girlfriend's parents drove up to the house (which was 70+ miles from their home), frantic because they could not reach her; turned out it was because cell phone reception in that house was lovely.

Only the next day did I wonder what her parents must have thought, driving up to the house worried sick about their little girl that they couldn't get ahold of for hours, and seeing "COWBOY OFFICE" slathered across the door. Thanks for that, Onstad.

Rev. Bleech_ fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 7, 2013

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I love when the blogs will cross with each other and the comic. This is of course most noticeable with Beef and Molly, but I love things like reading Teodor and Cornelius;s sides of the cooking show breakdown, and things like that. I wish Todd had a blog, but Todd is illiterate.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

I thought that was an accurate description of sous vide.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sigma-X posted:

I thought that was an accurate description of sous vide.

Sous vide goes for 72 hours, max, and that's in a highly climate-controlled environment to prevent botulism formation. Ray probably just plonked the thing in his bathtub on Monday and forgot about it until Friday.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Seriously, that thing looks gelatinous. Is it just me or is it translucent?Okay that one was just me misremembering. Even if I weren't a vegetarian I'd be terrified of being near that thing.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 hours!
I'm not a chef or anything like that myself, so I looked up sous vide on Wikipedia; and while I was probably wrong about assuming that Ray just put it in his tub, I'm still going to defer to Cornelius' concerns about the anaerobic bacteria having formed a soccer team after five days, and the risks associated with catching motor neurone disease. :v:

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

projecthalaxy posted:

I love when the blogs will cross with each other and the comic. This is of course most noticeable with Beef and Molly, but I love things like reading Teodor and Cornelius;s sides of the cooking show breakdown, and things like that. I wish Todd had a blog, but Todd is illiterate.

This actually kind of irritated me and was the main reason I never sat down to systematically read all of the blogs (though I've read individual blogs and occasional blog arcs). It kind of made me wish there was a "blog timeline" or something.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

THESE KNIVES!

Fallout: New Vegas DLC 'Dead Money', in the gas-filled kitchen

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

NoneMoreNegative posted:

THESE KNIVES!

Fallout: New Vegas DLC 'Dead Money', in the gas-filled kitchen

These kinves cut every night for you
These knives long to cut you again

The slicing's on them, yeah
And they will never be free, no, my baby, no no
You gave an edge to them, yeah
An' you dulled it, an' you chipped it, oh no

These knives watched you cut their world to an end
This blade could not accept and pretend

The dicing's on them, yeah
And they will never be free, no, no, no
You gave an edge to them, yeah
An' you dulled it, an' you chipped it, babe

These knives are cuttin'
These knives have cut a lot of loaves
But they're never gonna cut another one like they did with you

These knives are cuttin'
These knives have cut a lot of steaks

These knives are cuttin'
These knives have cut a lot of onions

These knives cut every night for you
These blades, these blades long to cut you, cut you again

These knives are cuttin'
These knives have cut a lot of loaves

These knives are cuttin'
These knives have cut a lot of steaks

These knives are cuttin'
These knives have cut a lot of onions

These knives are cuttin'
These knives have cut a lot of fillets
Baby, baby, baby, baby
Don't ya know these knives are cuttin' every night
I need you back in my heart...

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Whatever happened to Teodor's internet girlfriend anyway?

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
I just sort of assumed she realized she was internet-dating a talking teddy bear and cut contact. I mean we have all been there.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 hours!

Just Offscreen posted:

I just sort of assumed she realized she was internet-dating a talking teddy bear and cut contact. I mean we have all been there.

Teodor's been there himself, just on the other side.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

It's a simple theme to the alt-texts, but sometimes the best alt-texts are the ones where Onstad explains the joke. Like this one right here.

gwaaargh
Jul 7, 2010

by XyloJW

Happy Hippo posted:

It's a simple theme to the alt-texts, but sometimes the best alt-texts are the ones where Onstad explains the joke. Like this one right here.

Definitely. It's like being taken aside by a translator who works with people who don't have time for comics like this.

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!

Happy Hippo posted:

Agreed.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Kinda in the same vein, but

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10192005

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The small otter has resigned himself unto inevitable death.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

One of my favorite single lines is when Teodor says Ray smells like "farted-in vinegar".

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

One of my favorite single lines is when Teodor says Ray smells like "farted-in vinegar".
Which leads right into "You smell like six asses" and "an amount of carrot" and Beef's brutal taunting

Golden times, man.

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!
That same arc has my favorite single panel embodiment of Lyle (minus a bottle of Jackie D) in one note. http://achewood.com/index.php?date=03252004

I keep meaning to use "You're an idiot," as my closing whenever I write a letter to someone, but it always escapes me when the time comes.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Lyle's penmanship is impressive considering how bad his spelling is in the blogs.

Maybe he dictated the note to Cornelius.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

qntm posted:

Lyle's penmanship is impressive considering how bad his spelling is in the blogs.

Wha? Lyle is loving awesome at calligraphy, what comic have you been reading? Because it was evidently not Achewood.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

qntm posted:

Lyle actually types perfectly when he's trapped in the girl's school while visiting Scotland.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

qntm posted:

Man it's like you didn't even read the alt-text. Shameful.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Penguingo posted:

Man it's like you didn't even read the alt-text. Shameful.

The comic is even a clickable link to the one you posted. Onstad really wanted you to know just how good Lyle is at fancy letters.

E: is there a way to get at the blogs in chronological order? I can do such things as "click" "links" and type words into a box but your newer internetisms escape me some times

Phy fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 17, 2013

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

He hasn't had a drink in four days. Lyle is hell of erudite when he's sober.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Short as it may be, Lyle's brief stint into sobriety and his endeavor to subtly improve the quality of life of a religious, all girl school, where he is imprisoned and trying to escape, via cooking is one of my most favorites bits of writing I've ever read in my life.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Calaveron posted:

Short as it may be, Lyle's brief stint into sobriety and his endeavor to subtly improve the quality of life of a religious, all girl school, where he is imprisoned and trying to escape, via cooking is one of my most favorites bits of writing I've ever read in my life.

That is beautiful and I'm so sad I don't recall reading it before.

Falling down the Achewood hole led me to this gem: Pat calls Roast Beef on the moon

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Is there a way to view alt texts if you're on a mobile device? It's driving me nuts not seeing that little extra bit.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Is there a way to view alt texts if you're on a mobile device? It's driving me nuts not seeing that little extra bit.

Maybe there is some kind of accessibility setting that reads it aloud to you? That is what alt text is really for.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jet Jaguar posted:

That is beautiful and I'm so sad I don't recall reading it before.

Falling down the Achewood hole led me to this gem: Pat calls Roast Beef on the moon

A reminder from The Cure's Robert Smith that showering is SO not Goth.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Phy posted:

The comic is even a clickable link to the one you posted. Onstad really wanted you to know just how good Lyle is at fancy letters.

What, how did I do this

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 30 hours!

Jerusalem posted:

A reminder from The Cure's Robert Smith that showering is SO not Goth.

This is perfect. The driftwood will remind him about eternity.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Better insult: Left-Coast Power-wimp, or Candy-rear end Word-styled Hero?

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Neither, you neck-breathin' earth gypsy.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Ray's well-intended, awkward apologies to Teodor is one of the minor running gags that make Achewood so great.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I think what bugs me with the animated ones is the character designs are based more on the earlier comics than the later ones. The cats have much bigger mouths in the animation than they do in the later comics.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

FirstPersonShitter posted:

I think what bugs me with the animated ones is the character designs are based more on the earlier comics than the later ones. The cats have much bigger mouths in the animation than they do in the later comics.

That's probably for the animation's sake, and not a conscious effort to design it like the earlier strips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Also we should keep in mind that we've only seen the earliest (and so far only, of course) Achewood animation there is. It is as rough as it will ever be so if it gets picked up it'll probably change. Think The Simpsons season 1 compared to season 3.