Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

SquadronROE posted:

Not available in the us.

I'd say you're fine; it seems IAP-or-grind happy to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I picked up the Pinball Arcade app today. Eventually will drop some money on other machines, but I'd love to see Cyclone get a release.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Kekekela posted:

Yeah my problem is I get sniped in the back once I start scooting. I'm guessing I just need to not venture so deep into the badlands before I turn around.

One thing you have to really, really internalize about this game is that it's old school as gently caress when it comes to challenges. Venture too far in one direction and you flat out WILL run into something that will kick your rear end, take your lunch money, and then violate your corpse. Go run and do some other quests in town to get a few levels on you, gear up a little bit, and give it another go. This game is a love song to the era when developers weren't afraid of alienating that key "but I wanna do it NOOOOOOOOW" demographic and certain areas would just slaughter you if attempted too early.

A few basic tips:

1) don't go much S of the town at all for a few levels. There are a couple of quests W, NW, and N on the peninsula that you can do to buff yourself up in the meantime, plus all the random poo poo in the city proper.

2) When you do start venturing S, stick to the road at first. If you start encountering Ogres, you've gone too far. That's pretty much the first big reality check for "are you leveled enough to keep trucking" that the game throws at you.

3) Eventually you will come across a quest that will lead you to needing to kill a Cyclops. This dude will drop 10k gold or something thereabouts. That's officially when it's time to gear the gently caress up, put on your (hopefully high AC) big boy pants, and see what's down past the ogres. If you're playing the light version this is also where you hit the invisible wall and need to buy the full game. That dude who drops the stuff? He's a tough son of a bitch. Stock up on potions etc, buff the hell out of yourself, and go to town. I had my best luck using an awesome bow I got from killing a bunch of amazons for a very slightly earlier quest and using poison arrows that I found in the same spot. It's a tough as poo poo fight, don't be afraid to burn scrolls, wands, potions, etc.

4) This isn't a gear horder game. You have no house, no "safe chest" etc. Again, old school. Find something better than your current weapon? Sell that tired poo poo and move on.

5) Up through the mid-game spell casters can seriously wreck your poo poo. Resist magic is a loving necessity for some fights, be it in spell, potion, scroll, whatever form.

6) Related: alchemy is your friend. Oh holy poo poo. Thankfully you don't need to get it crazy-high, so you can get by just training it as high as you can periodically at trainers.

7) Don't be afraid to use the clunkiness of the engine to your benefit. Everything is a square grid, which means enemies have the same movement restrictions you do. Stepping to the side will effectively avoid that ranged guy, and side-stepping behind a barrier can solve a lot of your problems in life. If you're in a tunnel fighting lots of mean poo poo side-stepping into a side passage can have the nice benefit of giving you first hit on someone who's coming to kick your rear end. Using potions, wants, non-combat spells, etc doesn't use up your turn, either, even if you're paralyzed or under some other lovely effect. You can use all of this to cheese your way out of some really awful, hosed up situations. Seriously, this game feels so much like my misspent childhood of 90s era challenging-but-cheesable RPGs that it's not even funny.

8) Not all builds are equal. You can make a loving devastating build using light weapons + heavy armor and having strength of all things be your dump stat. You really want high int for the innate resistances.

9) get mark and recall spells ASAP. Ideally recall as a learned spell, mark can be a scroll or something. Mark someplace safe (like a town square) and you now have an escape hatch from any fight that you can't win.

. . . yeah, I've been playing too much of this game the last few days :shobon:

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

duckfarts posted:

Hahahahahahaha nope; only if they're blocked by something and you can get away, otherwise they'll follow you to an inn and wait for you outside.

Try to get the Mark and Recall spells from the magic shop ASAP.

Do you recall what magic shop I need to go to buy those? I have only been in the first two towns but neither shops sale them.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

loudog999 posted:

Do you recall what magic shop I need to go to buy those? I have only been in the first two towns but neither shops sale them.

Check back in the shops every couple of levels. I think the spells etc. repopulate every now and again.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
If I remember correctly, those shops sell random goods. I specifically remember being a rogue and resetting until they sold the mark and recall scrolls.

As an aside, if you're a rogue this game is one of those things where you start out getting your rear end kicked and thus look for whatever leg up you can get. That leg up for me was enchanting clothing with a weapon skill. If you want to get strong quickly, look into enchanting your equipment as early as possible.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
The Quest is a port of an old game from Palm OS. It's legitimately an old game made with old gameplay conventions, and I wouldn't want it updated to fit modern conventions either. We've got enough of those fuckin things.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Bummey posted:

The Quest is a port of an old game from Palm OS. It's legitimately an old game made with old gameplay conventions, and I wouldn't want it updated to fit modern conventions either. We've got enough of those fuckin things.

It's amazing how much deeper and richer it is than, say, Aralon (one of the few "modern" RPGs I can get over here in my 4.2.1 ghetto). I put off buying it for the longest time mostly because of the price but now I'm really goddamned addicted. It's bad.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

The last three fish in Ridiculous Fishing are giving me grief. I know what I'm meant to do, but I keep messing it up. Then there's one last fish in the Maelstrom I haven't got yet. Only tried it with the sound on today, and I really love how the music goes backwards on the way back up. And the bazooka.

Anyway, with all the talk about The Quest recently, I decided to give it another go. Think I messed up my character, or got lost, or something stupid the first time, but didn't really get very far anyway. Gonna give it a proper go this time.

teknetik
Jan 13, 2010

SO
JEWISH
Metal Slug is pretty neat, but goddamn that poo poo not playable with the touch controls.

Tribal Rival
Oct 5, 2008

I am this fiery snail crawling home
Robokill 2 is free now, but still swimming with IAP. It's kinda fun on iPad.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:

Cyrano4747 posted:

One thing you have to really, really internalize about this game is that it's old school as gently caress when it comes to challenges. Venture too far in one direction and you flat out WILL run into something that will kick your rear end, take your lunch money, and then violate your corpse. Go run and do some other quests in town to get a few levels on you, gear up a little bit, and give it another go. This game is a love song to the era when developers weren't afraid of alienating that key "but I wanna do it NOOOOOOOOW" demographic and certain areas would just slaughter you if attempted too early.

A few basic tips:

1) don't go much S of the town at all for a few levels. There are a couple of quests W, NW, and N on the peninsula that you can do to buff yourself up in the meantime, plus all the random poo poo in the city proper.

2) When you do start venturing S, stick to the road at first. If you start encountering Ogres, you've gone too far. That's pretty much the first big reality check for "are you leveled enough to keep trucking" that the game throws at you.

3) Eventually you will come across a quest that will lead you to needing to kill a Cyclops. This dude will drop 10k gold or something thereabouts. That's officially when it's time to gear the gently caress up, put on your (hopefully high AC) big boy pants, and see what's down past the ogres. If you're playing the light version this is also where you hit the invisible wall and need to buy the full game. That dude who drops the stuff? He's a tough son of a bitch. Stock up on potions etc, buff the hell out of yourself, and go to town. I had my best luck using an awesome bow I got from killing a bunch of amazons for a very slightly earlier quest and using poison arrows that I found in the same spot. It's a tough as poo poo fight, don't be afraid to burn scrolls, wands, potions, etc.

4) This isn't a gear horder game. You have no house, no "safe chest" etc. Again, old school. Find something better than your current weapon? Sell that tired poo poo and move on.

5) Up through the mid-game spell casters can seriously wreck your poo poo. Resist magic is a loving necessity for some fights, be it in spell, potion, scroll, whatever form.

6) Related: alchemy is your friend. Oh holy poo poo. Thankfully you don't need to get it crazy-high, so you can get by just training it as high as you can periodically at trainers.

7) Don't be afraid to use the clunkiness of the engine to your benefit. Everything is a square grid, which means enemies have the same movement restrictions you do. Stepping to the side will effectively avoid that ranged guy, and side-stepping behind a barrier can solve a lot of your problems in life. If you're in a tunnel fighting lots of mean poo poo side-stepping into a side passage can have the nice benefit of giving you first hit on someone who's coming to kick your rear end. Using potions, wants, non-combat spells, etc doesn't use up your turn, either, even if you're paralyzed or under some other lovely effect. You can use all of this to cheese your way out of some really awful, hosed up situations. Seriously, this game feels so much like my misspent childhood of 90s era challenging-but-cheesable RPGs that it's not even funny.

8) Not all builds are equal. You can make a loving devastating build using light weapons + heavy armor and having strength of all things be your dump stat. You really want high int for the innate resistances.

9) get mark and recall spells ASAP. Ideally recall as a learned spell, mark can be a scroll or something. Mark someplace safe (like a town square) and you now have an escape hatch from any fight that you can't win.

In addition to this, a paralyze spell (preferably a wand) will help with long range magic casters or something a little past your level.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
gently caress Shamans. If you're a nogur (which you should be. GREAT starting races) they will gently caress your poo poo up with that lightning. Paralyze is a god send, but finding a spell book (or want) can be troublesome at times.

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Apparently I was supposed to put something here.
Fun Shoe
If all the people going crazy about Ridiculous Fishing haven't convinced you to buy it yet, do so. I have already gotten way more than :3bux: worth of fun out of it.

Digger-254
Apr 3, 2003

not even here

Splits posted:

Robokill 2 is free now, but still swimming with IAP. It's kinda fun on iPad.

I've been playing this since the last time someone mentioned it had gone free and it's been a lot of fun in mindless-shooty sort of way (shocking, i know). But I'm not getting any "swimming in IAP" vibes from it, though. I was digging it enough to buy the $0.99 "insurance plan" thing that prevents any money loss when you die to support the devs. The other IAPs seemed pretty game-breaking, tbh.

The only thing that annoys me is that the majority of stuff in the shop is stuff you've either out-leveled or aren't anywhere near leveled enough to buy (since you can't buy stuff unless you can use it). So keep a rare item scanner equipped on your dude, it'll help. But you can restart your save to refresh the store anyway so it's not too terrible.

Anyway, it's free so give it a shot if you're not totally burnt out on twin-stick-shooter-loot-grabby-things.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

nerdpony posted:

If all the people going crazy about Ridiculous Fishing haven't convinced you to buy it yet, do so. I have already gotten way more than :3bux: worth of fun out of it.

I'm not sure how you can quantify $3 worth of fun but I agree with the sentiment.

Buy Ridiculous Fishing!

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

nerdpony posted:

The only reason I haven't is because it has tilt controls. I just don't feel like I can accurately fish waggling my ipad all around.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Bummey posted:

If you're a nogur (which you should be. GREAT starting races) they will gently caress your poo poo up with that lightning.

No reason to be racist.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So there's quite a few fish left for me to get but I "finished" the game. (Got the credits)

I'm sure some more may still be in Maelstrom but descriptions for others are cryptic. Is Far Future just like, come back in a week? Or what?

And what's this Hedjet thing?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

graventy posted:

The only reason I haven't is because it has tilt controls. I just don't feel like I can accurately fish waggling my ipad all around.
I usually hate tilt controls but it actually plays really well, I've never felt like they've gotten in the way at all.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

graventy posted:

It is a bit awkward tilting the ipad for it, but it's not really a high precision game and the controls seem fine once you get used to tilting it.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

The music in Ridiculous Fishing in Artic Floes sounded so familiar and I couldn't place it, but then I fired up FTL this morning and that's where the dejavu was coming from.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOE-DMattNs
There is one last fish that I can't get and it's driving me nuts. I think it's in Maelstrom but I'm not sure. It's the Steggo fish and that little jerk just wont show up no matter how deep I go.

JGTheSpy
Jul 31, 2002
Excuse me, but if I could have a moment of your time, I'd like to explain why you're not actually enjoying that game that you're enjoying. You see, I am in fact an expert. At games. I know, it's impressive.

graventy posted:

You can. It's not a hindrance at all. I am also an iPad-tilt hater and I have zero problem with it in Ridiculous Fishing.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Before anyone else tries it: if there's any easter egg to be found in space, it's gotta be way the gently caress out there. I just sent a fish over 1.2 million meters and got nothing.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Trig Discipline posted:

Before anyone else tries it: if there's any easter egg to be found in space, it's gotta be way the gently caress out there. I just sent a fish over 1.2 million meters and got nothing.

Did better than NASA, I'd be pretty happy about it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Also, how usable is the Rocket Launcher? I got the orbital beam and it blowwwwwssss.

Right now the Minigun is my shiznit.

Clockwork Beast!
Jan 18, 2007

Clockwork beast! Clockwork beast! We're doomed!

Feenix posted:

Also, how usable is the Rocket Launcher? I got the orbital beam and it blowwwwwssss.

Right now the Minigun is my shiznit.

The rocket launcher is probably the best weapon if you aim well. You get a little reticule and about a second of lead time on every shot, but it has no cooldown so tap away. The orbital laser is pretty ok actually. Two taps will kill just about anything, so if you're good with it you can take a pretty sizable chunk of your catch out early if you do a couple of 1-2 second shots while everything is all bunched up. My highest money catches have been with the laser, probably will be until I practice the launcher some more.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Cyrano4747 posted:

Check back in the shops every couple of levels. I think the spells etc. repopulate every now and again.
Actually, stock changes each day.

whydirt posted:

No reason to be racist.
Nogur please.

Duranki
Nov 16, 2004

There is vengeance to be dealt, Marc Spector. And you have not lost your taste for such things. Have you?
The iOS Games Megathread: Nogur please.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Trig Discipline posted:

Thanks. I got one out to like 35k and then accidentally killed it trying to boost it faster. I intended to go back and shoot one out there again to be sure, but you saved me the trouble.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Little Things Forever is free this weekend, down from $3.99. It's a charming little find-the-object game with a great visual style.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

A few basic tips:

Hey cool, thanks, that's a lot of helpful info.

I'm a little confused by the spell system and haven't yet put much time into the game, but do I basically have access to all the skills even if I don't start with them? Also is it generally a good idea to customize things instead of going with one of the pre-set classes? (I haven't done this but was under the impression that it's possible) Like it seems like having heavy weapons and light weapons on a fighter might be unnecessary and I could slide alchemy in there instead.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

Definitely only go with one type of weapons. You can upgrade every skill regardless of which ones you pick as your six main skills. Note that it costs 2 upgrade points for each bump for all non-main skills (I use trainers and books to upgrade my non-main skills when I can afford it). Also, you can get around the limitations of your class with enchantments. My character has decent environmental magic skills, but when I want to enchant something a little higher than my ability (I pay to have an enchantress fix the good stuff I actually want to keep/use) I put on my robe that has a big environmental magic buff (conceivably you could make a whole outfit for this purpose). I always enchant (with my own ability) items that I don't want before I sell them to get some extra gold.

Another good environmental spell is "create food." This is great when you need to rest (like I often do during my multiday enchantment/wand recharge binges or if I clear a tricky part of a dungeon and want to life/mana up before diving into more danger).

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

There is one safe storage in the game. It's in the crypt tunnels next to the starting town, that shelf where you find the Skull of Saint Whomever.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

Corridor posted:

There is one safe storage in the game. It's in the crypt tunnels next to the starting town, that shelf where you find the Skull of Saint Whomever.

You get an apartment after you finish the base game.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
I fished all the fish!!!! Ridiculous Fishing is the best $3 I've spent on a game.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
I'm currently writing up some tips for Tactical Warrior which I finally got around to finishing the other day. I'll post them here shortly but turns out there's a lot of words to say about how to crack the initial learning curve of the game.

I've since started LostStar Tactics again. Anyone have any advice for this (considerably tougher) spiritual sequel? Myself, I'm finding that using the Mechanic (summoner) captain, with the Nanowiring and Summoning skills, makes things a lot easier than my first brush with the game. Summoned units are plentiful, pretty rugged and good at basic role-fulfillment, allowing you to field more specialized heavy-hitters like the Cannoneer and the Sniper instead of the Hulk and Sergeant. I find you really, really have to eyeball those armor values on enemy units and choose your units carefully to avoid losing battles (and thus valuable time).

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Clockwork Beast! posted:

The rocket launcher is probably the best weapon if you aim well. You get a little reticule and about a second of lead time on every shot, but it has no cooldown so tap away. The orbital laser is pretty ok actually. Two taps will kill just about anything, so if you're good with it you can take a pretty sizable chunk of your catch out early if you do a couple of 1-2 second shots while everything is all bunched up. My highest money catches have been with the laser, probably will be until I practice the launcher some more.
You can just hold down the launcher and fire it as a high powered machine gun.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
Okay, how the hell do you get the "When you believe in yourself" fish in Arctic Floes in Ridiculous Fishing? This is... Well, it's ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

edit: Jesus, wrong window, wrong thread, and wrong loving sub-forum.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 17, 2013

• Locked thread