Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Grand Fromage posted:

Agreed. Oyster po boys are great. I like them in jambalaya too, and Korean oyster pancakes (guljeon) are awesome. Raw's good but you need really good oysters I think, cooked can be good even if they're not quite as high class.

Chances are pretty good that I'll eat at least some of them while in my boxers, so being high class isn't a big concern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

Ron Jeremy posted:

They're pretty good in the smoker too.

Never had them that way but smoked things are always amazing. Never thought of that.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

dino. posted:

It's hella delicious in miso soup. Do eet.

Okay. I have wakame but I might use the kale to replace it anyway, just to be contrary.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Big Centipede posted:

Chances are pretty good that I'll eat at least some of them while in my boxers, so being high class isn't a big concern.

Taste I mean. The oysters around where I live aren't that great raw but are just fine cooked.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Big Centipede posted:

And please do make an oyster thread.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

OFFICIAL GWS OYSTER THREAD: Open this rock and eat whatever weird mushy poo poo is inside

k.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3538702

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Kenning posted:

You really don't need to vent the pressure in the bottle. If it's very firm, then it's done carbonating. The reason you need to use the airlock with beer is that you need the yeast to metabolize the right amount of sugar during the primary fermentation to get the desired level of alcohol. That's not the point in yeast-carbonated ginger brews. Instead, never vent the bottle. That way pressure builds up and more carbon dioxide dissolves into the liquid, which is where your carbonation comes from. Just use plastic bottles and give them a squeeze. When they're as firm as unopened soda bottles in the grocery store, pop them in the fridge.

That's good to know. Like I said I haven't done it myself, so I looked up AB's recipe on the foodnetwork and the last line of the recipe said " Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks, opening the bottle at least once a day to let out excess carbonation.

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/ginger-ale-recipe/index.html?oc=linkback"

What's all that about then, opening it at least once per day?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

That's for when it's done it doesn't wind up blowing up in your fridge.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Why does a breadknife seem to go through a loaf of bread way easier and with less unsightly tearing and crushing when it's slightly damp versus a completely dry breadknife that crushes the poo poo out of the loaf instead and ruins your whole sandwich?

I can't find any evidence to back this up on the internet but my grandmother swore by running the blade under the tap and shaking off the excess water before slicing the bread and it's always worked for me, and my fiancee thinks I'm just some kind of retard who has a psychological block when it comes to slicing bread unless I've made the knife wet first.

Please tell me I'm not crazy :(

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Uh, I've never heard of that. A lot of times I don't even use a bread knife.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Grab Meatcastle posted:

Why does a breadknife seem to go through a loaf of bread way easier and with less unsightly tearing and crushing when it's slightly damp versus a completely dry breadknife that crushes the poo poo out of the loaf instead and ruins your whole sandwich?

I can't find any evidence to back this up on the internet but my grandmother swore by running the blade under the tap and shaking off the excess water before slicing the bread and it's always worked for me, and my fiancee thinks I'm just some kind of retard who has a psychological block when it comes to slicing bread unless I've made the knife wet first.

Please tell me I'm not crazy :(

Lubricates?
Same reason diamond core drillers run water I suppose, or you oil when cutting a thread with a tap or die, or drilling heaps of stuff.

Never done it with bread, but do it when cutting nori rolls.
Shouldn't need to do it with bread if the knife is good enough.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
I'd be curious to know what kind of bread you are cutting and how many different knives you have tried.

If I had to guess a reason I'd say the opposite of Fo3 and suggest maybe the knives you are using are a bit dull the water helps the cutting edge gain purchase and the bread and prevent it from sliding along the crust.

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME

Fo3 posted:

Lubricates?
Same reason diamond core drillers run water I suppose, or you oil when cutting a thread with a tap or die, or drilling heaps of stuff.

First person to use a diamond core drill on a loaf of bread wins some kind of prize.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
I'm sure it will do a nicer job than using a hilti or kango with a masonary bit.

What about using a tap and olive oil and threading a loaf?
I'm an average cook but was just equating it to something I do know, likewise the wet knife when slicing up nori rolls.

Edit: heh, it's just a little dry diamond core drill I use for tiles...

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 16, 2013

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I got a 2.5 lb boneless chuck roast that I'm going to throw in my slow cooker to have some protein this week to put over the salads I've been having for dinner. Suggested seasoning and cooking time?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Booties posted:

Never had them that way but smoked things are always amazing. Never thought of that.

I had smoked oysters in New Orleans, pretty tasty.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I have turmeric in my spice cabinet and I don't remember why I bought it. Suggestions for where to use it?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

C-Euro posted:

I have turmeric in my spice cabinet and I don't remember why I bought it. Suggestions for where to use it?

Burmese curry.

Norville Rogers
Oct 17, 2004
Like, zoinks!

C-Euro posted:

Chicken soup

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

C-Euro posted:

It's not a very flavorful spice but it will dye the heck out of anything. It has a lot of nice health benefits, as well as being antibacterial, but if you add too much it gives your food a noticeable tingly/numbing sensation. I mostly use it in curry, and I'll add a little bit to ginger tea if my throat is feeling terrible.

But like I said, it will dye EVERYTHING so don't use it in plastics or anything that'll hold a stain unless you want it to be yellow.

Edit: I used it recently in this recipe which has been delicious. I have used catfish and also swai. I also don't use anywhere near the amount of oil it says to, only using enough oil to liberally coat the onions while sauteing. I generally add a can of tomatoes and green chiles too before the fish.

Comic fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Mar 17, 2013

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Chemmy posted:

There's a restaurant near my house that does an oven-roasted oyster with fresh corn and andouille sausage, and it's amazing. Sadly their supply isn't as good now, so they took it off the menu and only offer it as a special from time to time.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Comic posted:

It's not a very flavorful spice but it will dye the heck out of anything. It has a lot of nice health benefits, as well as being antibacterial, but if you add too much it gives your food a noticeable tingly/numbing sensation. I mostly use it in curry, and I'll add a little bit to ginger tea if my throat is feeling terrible.

But like I said, it will dye EVERYTHING so don't use it in plastics or anything that'll hold a stain unless you want it to be yellow.

Edit: I used it recently in this recipe which has been delicious. I have used catfish and also swai. I also don't use anywhere near the amount of oil it says to, only using enough oil to liberally coat the onions while sauteing. I generally add a can of tomatoes and green chiles too before the fish.

Turmeric has an awesome flavour when bloomed in fat. You've never noticed it, because you've never cooked it by itself. There's a reason that the Burmese curries use it so much. They tend not to use any other spice at all. It'll be a lot of oil, a lot of turmeric, then shallots/scallion/onion (whichever is around), garlic, ginger, and sometimes a bit of chilies. The next time you make a food, heat the oil, add a bit of turmeric (let's say around 1/2 tsp when you need enough food for 2 people), let it cook for about 10 - 20 seconds, THEN add the onions, garlic, and other aromatics. The aroma will be amazing.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

dino. posted:

Turmeric has an awesome flavour when bloomed in fat. You've never noticed it, because you've never cooked it by itself. There's a reason that the Burmese curries use it so much. They tend not to use any other spice at all. It'll be a lot of oil, a lot of turmeric, then shallots/scallion/onion (whichever is around), garlic, ginger, and sometimes a bit of chilies. The next time you make a food, heat the oil, add a bit of turmeric (let's say around 1/2 tsp when you need enough food for 2 people), let it cook for about 10 - 20 seconds, THEN add the onions, garlic, and other aromatics. The aroma will be amazing.

Will do, I think I get a bit of the aroma with the aforementioned curry so I know what you mean. I just haven't used it in such a way that I can pick out the flavor yet.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Comic posted:

Will do, I think I get a bit of the aroma with the aforementioned curry so I know what you mean. I just haven't used it in such a way that I can pick out the flavor yet.

I guess you could sort of compare it to paprika, which does the same thing when bloomed in hot fat. (I don't mean the smoked paprika, which has an intense flavour, or the hot paprika, which is spicy, but rather the sweet paprika, which most people just think of as "red".) You won't necessarily pick out specific flavours, but you'll know when it's missing.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

Chemmy posted:

Between weddings and drinking I only had time for one touristy meal, and I went straight for the fried catfish poboy.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Listen to dino. Turmeric is amazing. It gives everything a really great earthy flavour. I use it, completely inauthentically and terribly, in samosas.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

So I cooked the chuck roast I mentioned earlier in the crock pot and it's now fork tender and amazing. I seasoned it with just salt and pepper, and put enough water in to come halfway up the ~1.5 in. thick roast. Now that it's done, the volume of liquid has almost doubled. What are some good ways to use this jus?

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

The Midniter posted:

So I cooked the chuck roast I mentioned earlier in the crock pot and it's now fork tender and amazing. I seasoned it with just salt and pepper, and put enough water in to come halfway up the ~1.5 in. thick roast. Now that it's done, the volume of liquid has almost doubled. What are some good ways to use this jus?

Pour on beef. Consume.

Alternatively, add a bit of wine, salt, pepper, rosemary, and thyme, simmer on stovetop until volume has been reduced by 2/3. Then pour on beef and consume.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Comic posted:

That sounds delicious, thanks for this (and to the rest of you for your turmeric tips)

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Alright, So we recently found out that an italian deli near my mom's work sells pizza dough so we've started making our own pizza I asked her to buy a pizza stone and she did so when she found one for 15 buck's.

My question is, how do most of you guy's do the pizza stone thing? After having purchased the thing she started reading the instructions of heat up the stone, then put the pizza she asked me how we're supposed to spread the pizza dough out on the stone, spread the pizza sauce and put on the topping's. I suggested we use one of our perforated pizza stone's but she shot that down because it would probably be too hard.

I'm interested in using the pizza stone, but I'd rather not need to go out and buy one of those giant wooden spatula thing's just for pizza.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
I used a wooden cutting board until I got a paddle.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Heat up the oven and stone, dust a cookie sheet with flour, make your pizza on the cookie sheet, open the oven, shuffle the pizza off the cookie sheet, close the oven.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

dino. posted:

Looks like that's a cuisine I need to look into because that sounds loving wonderful.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

tarepanda posted:

Heat up the oven and stone, dust a cookie sheet with flour, make your pizza on the cookie sheet, open the oven, shuffle the pizza off the cookie sheet, close the oven.

This, but I use corn meal.

One thing - regardless of what you're using, cookie sheet, peel, whatever, you need to give it a jerk periodically to prevent the pizza dough from sticking to the surface and just folding in on itself when you try and deposit it onto the stone. :V

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
What is the French word for putting a pan on only half the eye of the stove?

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Did the CSA thread die off over the winter? I finally have a CSA available near me and wanted to post asking if it's a good deal. :)

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

mediaphage posted:

This, but I use corn meal.

One thing - regardless of what you're using, cookie sheet, peel, whatever, you need to give it a jerk periodically to prevent the pizza dough from sticking to the surface and just folding in on itself when you try and deposit it onto the stone. :V

Yeah, to be really safe, especially for a first pizza before you get a feel for how well the pizza will slide, shape your dough, place it on your peel or sheet with plenty of cornmeal or flour, then give it a little shake back and forth to see that the dough by itself slides back and forth. Carefully lift an edge and add more cornmeal if it looks to be sticking. Put on your sauce, then give another shake. Cheese and another shake. Other toppings and another shake.

Alternatively, if you form your pizza on parchment paper (you still want a tiny bit of flour on it though), you can slide the pizza on the paper onto the stone, then once the crust sets you can just pull the paper out from under the pizza.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Renzuko posted:

I'm interested in using the pizza stone, but I'd rather not need to go out and buy one of those giant wooden spatula thing's just for pizza.

BB&B sells cheap paddles for 8bux. They're not the best things ever, but they get the job done.

I use cornmeal, preheat my oven to 550F, and aim for a 7minute cook time. Modernist Cuisine guys, and bloggers who follow them, have been touting the praises of thick metal slabs, since they conduct heat better and are better suited to home oven temperatures for pizzamaking. Ceramics are only really well suited to woodburning and commercial ovens which can get over 850F. Since it takes forever to heat up my oven to 550F and it just ends up heating my house anyway (which in the summer, in Riverside, doesn't need any help), I was thinking about switching to the metal slab but on the grill. Anyone try this?

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 18, 2013

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

Get cookie sheets like this (Amazon link) if you'd rather have something multipurpose you can also use as a pizza peel. I used my airbake ultra (or whatever knockoff I may have) as a peel until my brother got a real one and I still honestly kind of prefer the cookie sheet because it's less unwieldly in my small kitchen.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

mich posted:

Alternatively, if you form your pizza on parchment paper (you still want a tiny bit of flour on it though), you can slide the pizza on the paper onto the stone, then once the crust sets you can just pull the paper out from under the pizza.
I got close to being able to slide a pizza onto the stone without parchment paper but eventually gave up.

Now I no longer have to eat mangled pizzas or fish toppings off the bottom of my oven!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm thinking of cooking either some kind of pot roast or ribs this weekend depending on how expensive stuff is. I want to cook whatever it is in the oven for a long time though. Anyone got good recipes for both? They're more likely to be pork ribs.

I also ate some onion straws the other night and would like to try making those myself. Any recommendation on spices to add to the flour for battering them?