Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
How does the Industrial Revolution mod play with random industrial plugins? I'd love to get it but I have a bunch of industry I've downloaded (and that would be difficult to clear out) and I don't know if they'd play ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Aww, even after the CPU core adjustment, I still get intermittent crashes that are demoralizing.

I don't save often enough. :(

And now I feel inadequate because everyone else's neighborhoods look pretty

Edit: and while I'm whining, is there a way to turn off Rush Hour car icons that I am no doubt blindly missing?

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 16, 2013

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Squiggle posted:

Edit: and while I'm whining, is there a way to turn off Rush Hour car icosn that I am no doubt blindly missing?

It's in the MySim/uDriveIt screen. There's a little button that you can toggle off. It turns off those icons. Why they're on by default is a mystery to me.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Also, get the auto-save mod.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's in the MySim/uDriveIt screen. There's a little button that you can toggle off. It turns off those icons. Why they're on by default is a mystery to me.

Ahhh, better. You're a mensch, thanks.

Samopsa posted:

Also, get the auto-save mod.

This lil' guy?

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Looking at the list of mod packs, I'm almost certain I have Killhour's pack installed right now. What should I do to install another mod pack? Can I just delete the plugins folder and download a new modpack? If I "upgrade" to Grand Fromage's pack from Killhour's, will I run into any issues in my saved cities? I figure at most if there are some missing buildings, there will be a few missing building graphics here and there and I'll just bulldoze them.

I could reinstall, but then I'd have to track down those discs again :effort:
Yeah, that will work fine. Worst thing that could happen is you get lots of big boxes and empty lots.

quote:

How does the Industrial Revolution mod play with random industrial plugins? I'd love to get it but I have a bunch of industry I've downloaded (and that would be difficult to clear out) and I don't know if they'd play ball.
It only edits the vanilla lots, so any custom lots will work out fine.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Squiggle posted:

Aww, even after the CPU core adjustment, I still get intermittent crashes that are demoralizing.

Edit: and while I'm whining, is there a way to turn off Rush Hour car icosn that I am no doubt blindly missing?

Even better use http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/28544-sc4-launcher/

Is more the SC launcher simplifies a lot reducing the cores, resolution and everything, a must for any player that plus the autosave feature.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

So i just downloaded all the PEG CDK3 port stuff. I have all the dependencies I need for it to work, yet when I build any of them there are tons of missing textures/props. My plugins folder is pretty jumbled, and it's possible that I have some duplicate files that were re-released in the super-ultra-gigantor-megapacks, that are causing the problem, but I'm not sure. I only found one file that was also in one of the megapacks, and got rid of it, but it made no difference. Does the CDK3 stuff need to be in specific folders to work or something? I've spent an hour now trying to get it to work with no luck...Anyone have an idea what's going on?

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Is there a way to force SC4 to display 1920 x 1080p?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

SkySteak posted:

Is there a way to force SC4 to display 1920 x 1080p?

No.

the OP posted:

Custom Resolutions
Running a large or uncommon resolution? Well tough poo poo! Just kidding. Add a variation of this to your launch options:
-CustomResolution:enabled -r1366x768x32 -f
( -f is for fullscreen.)

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
That'll teach me to skim the OP. Thanks anyway!

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!

PerrineClostermann posted:

In the shortcut target. Right click on the shortcut, choose properties. Here's an example target (it's what I use): "W:\SimCity 4\Apps\SimCity 4.exe" -intro:off -w -CPUcount:1 -CustomResolution:enabled -r1440x900x32

This prevents the intro, runs on a single core, and runs in a 1440x900 window.

Any idea how to set the CPU count on a Mac that isn't using Steam?

I downloaded Grand Formage's pack and I'll let you guess how my computer is performing.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I would assume it uses the same flags. Just...launch the game with them. I dunno how to do it on a mac; I imagine starting from the command line would allow you to do it.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Does the Old Fashioned pack mess with how demand is calculated? I loaded it in and all the RCI bars were way more positive than they were before.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Super Waffle posted:

Does the Old Fashioned pack mess with how demand is calculated? I loaded it in and all the RCI bars were way more positive than they were before.

It's because of the CAM, http://www.wiki.sc4devotion.com/index.php?title=Colossus_Addon_Mod.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Gotcha, just making sure I didn't download some cheaty always max demand thing

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Super Waffle posted:

Gotcha, just making sure I didn't download some cheaty always max demand thing

Nah it's not cheating, it just adjusts the way the game works. You'll get used to the new demand graph after you play with it a while.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Squiggle posted:

Edit: and while I'm whining, is there a way to turn off Rush Hour car icons that I am no doubt blindly missing?

I'm in the same boat, I crash to desktop every few minutes after installing the Old Fashioned pack, especially on the Fhuzo region. I got the shortcut fixes, anything else I can do? Suck it up and get an autosaver?

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
I'd think the best option is to delete the terrain add-ons of the pack, beware it has some files on the "Everything Else" folder.

Try playing only with NAM, the dependencies and the buildings and see if it still crashes.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I think y'all know my answer to everything by now. softwaremodesoftwaremode

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

benzine posted:

I'd think the best option is to delete the terrain add-ons of the pack, beware it has some files on the "Everything Else" folder.

Try playing only with NAM, the dependencies and the buildings and see if it still crashes.

MikeJF posted:

I think y'all know my answer to everything by now. softwaremodesoftwaremode

Both of these alone or together make me crash before a city loads :saddowns:

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

So I got the Steam version of Sim City 4 to scratch the itch and I got Grand Fromage's pack, but when I start a city, all my demand is hugely in the negatives and nothing seems to get built.

I assume this is due to the CAM bug, but I can't get dat packer to work on Windows 8 at all (it keeps claiming it's missing a dll that exists).

Any advice?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

WarpedLichen posted:

So I got the Steam version of Sim City 4 to scratch the itch and I got Grand Fromage's pack, but when I start a city, all my demand is hugely in the negatives and nothing seems to get built.

I assume this is due to the CAM bug, but I can't get dat packer to work on Windows 8 at all (it keeps claiming it's missing a dll that exists).

Any advice?

Do you have electricity?

Literal Hamster
Mar 11, 2012

YOSPOS

WarpedLichen posted:

Any advice?

-GF's pack is unstable
-The damand always starts negative, if it stays negative then you have a problem
-The dat packer documentation has a list of DLLs that you need, try downloading and putting them in the folder containing the executable if keeping them in sys32 doesn't work
-Like the poster above me said, make sure your zones are powered

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Super Waffle posted:

I'm in the same boat, I crash to desktop every few minutes after installing the Old Fashioned pack, especially on the Fhuzo region. I got the shortcut fixes, anything else I can do? Suck it up and get an autosaver?

My crashes have seemed to have evened out - I was getting constant crashes on the Fhuzo region when I was using Grand Fromage's pack, so I got mad, deleted the region, re-downloaded, and purged all mods and tried the Old Fashioned. I lost a little work, but I quickly surpassed where I was when I deleted it. As long as I've got it on one core, it's stayed stable so far.

Probably not a lot of help, but it's something I'd try.

edit: and yes, software rendering makes me crash at city-loading too.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Squiggle posted:

My crashes have seemed to have evened out - I was getting constant crashes on the Fhuzo region when I was using Grand Fromage's pack, so I got mad, deleted the region, re-downloaded, and purged all mods and tried the Old Fashioned. I lost a little work, but I quickly surpassed where I was when I deleted it. As long as I've got it on one core, it's stayed stable so far.

Probably not a lot of help, but it's something I'd try.

edit: and yes, software rendering makes me crash at city-loading too.

I put everything back into Old Fashioned and tried the unplugged Fhuzo and that seems to have helped a little. Crashed right after I saved so thats ok I guess v:shobon:v

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
What are you using to back up your regions? Obviously I can't just move the folder into my Dropbox or Box folders, I'd imagine the solution is to mirror the appropriate region's folder somehow?

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Playing this game is divided in three parts:
- Searching and downloading new stuff, really check the STEX for new stuff.
- Playing the game.
- And the metagame, that it's finding a way to not crash.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
I downloaded SC4 last week off Steam and I am really enjoying it. However I are a bit dumb and tend to lose interest when things get a bit serious for want of a better phrase. The biggest city I have using the default map is around 30,000 people with a hellish traffic problem and decently intelligent Sims. How do i go about creating those futuristic metropolis cities seen in this thread full of hundreds of thousands of people?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

britishbornandbread posted:

I downloaded SC4 last week off Steam and I am really enjoying it. However I are a bit dumb and tend to lose interest when things get a bit serious for want of a better phrase. The biggest city I have using the default map is around 30,000 people with a hellish traffic problem and decently intelligent Sims. How do i go about creating those futuristic metropolis cities seen in this thread full of hundreds of thousands of people?

I didn't see you mention it, but do you have any mods or modpacks installed? One mod, Network Addon Mod, completely overhauls the sims traffic pathing, having the effect of A.) it making more sense, and B.) reducing the constant jams.

NAM is universally recommended. I'd get that minimum, but if you don't mind the extra tiles I'd grab one of the packs. I was in the same place a few days ago!

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 17, 2013

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

I gave the OP a read through, got terribly excited and loaded up SC4 to go back through my previous attempts. I haven't installed any mods no but I will go back and re-read the OP to determine what the best downloads to go with are.

Thanks for the reply.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Also, a list of basic tips (there's more in the thread, read it in its entirety):
-Get NAM.
-Build out, not up. Start with a giant field of low-density housing, and absolutely no services besides transportation. Don't listen to all the advisors yammering about no police, firemen, schools, hospitals or whatever.
-Start with 2 cities next to each other. Build residential in one town, connect the two towns by avenue, build commercial along the avenue, and build industrial in the next region. Also plop your power plant and garbage collection in that town, and export garbage/import energy for your residential town.
-Trains/busses are nice for low-income population.
-Don't be afraid to demolish roads and properties and lay down avenues for high-traffic points.
-Your region population determines what kind of buildings grow. When you reach certain tresholds you go to a new stage and new kinds of buildings show up.
-If you want to improve your living situation and get more wealthy sims, build services. Do them one at a time, and change the settings on the buildings (use the query tool on schools, hospitals etc) to improve them. Start with schools, hospitals and colleges. Don't build high schools.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Samopsa posted:

Also, a list of basic tips (there's more in the thread, read it in its entirety):
-If you want to improve your living situation and get more wealthy sims, build services. Do them one at a time, and change the settings on the buildings (use the query tool on schools, hospitals etc) to improve them.

To expand on this in the hopes of preventing frustration down the line, adjusting those sliders on the fire houses, police stations, hospitals, schools, and utilities to match your current population and sprawl range (with some room to grow) is critical in not going broke. When you plop them down, they're fully funded - which I guarantee you will not need to be for a while.

Not adjusting sliders was the original reason I never got far in the game back in the 2000s, and gave up frustrated.

Now? Squiggle be mayorin'.

Oh! And I high suggest looking at Grand Fromage's let's play. That dude knows his urban planning, and I was enthralled by his regions' development. Great place to pick up some in-practice tips.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 17, 2013

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Those are great points and I knew about most of them, but had not been implimenting them correctly. I will do the city-by-city approach this evening, coupled with the NAM mod.

Squiggle posted:

Controlling those sliders on the fire houses, police stations, hospitals, schools, and utilities is critical in not going broke. When you plop them down, they're full funded - which I guarantee you will not need to be for a while.

Yup, well aware of this. Always amusing when I have the capacity just above the demand and a few months later the energy advisor pops up on my screen going crazy.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

britishbornandbread posted:

Yup, well aware of this. Always amusing when I have the capacity just above the demand and a few months later the energy advisor pops up on my screen going crazy.

Hospital is short one bed for a day and the goddamn health advisor loses her poo poo. CALM DOWN LADY. She's like an actual hospital administrator.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Squiggle posted:

Hospital is short one bed for a day and the goddamn health advisor loses her poo poo. CALM DOWN LADY. She's like an actual hospital administrator.

MAYOR THERE'S A FIRE WHAT THE gently caress DO WE DO?!

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran
I added the NDEX subway to rail transition to the oldfashioned pack (http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/4174-ndex-railtosubway-transition/). The game loads and runs properly, no crashes, but I can't find it anywhere in either the subway or rail menus. Does anyone know what's going on?

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
Is there a readme anywhere about what exactly is in Killhour's Spergin' Gigapack or perhaps Grand Fromage's Pack?

I started out with GF's pack but moved to the other because there was so much stuff in it and I didn't know what all this poo poo did and it felt overwhelming because of that.

The mod packs certainly are lovely, but I don't like just tossing in mods unless I know what they're doing. People are also terrible at documenting the plots for the in-game menu.

Samopsa posted:

Don't build high schools.
Why not?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

My four neighboring cities are Babby's First Urban Sprawl. I've got haphazardly laid out roads, lovely public transportation, railroads plowing through things, and no avenues.

It's just four small squares with 30-40k population each. Will this be a problem as I populate the region? Will my citizens hate me if I eminent domain their houses to build avenues and highways? I don't have traffic problems yet and I haven't started on the big giant squares on the New York region.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Because they are pretty expensive, and using a college (infinite range) and some schools is enough to get I-HT which is the main reason to educate your sims. You can of course put down high schools, but they are not necessary.

• Locked thread