Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011

Hadlock posted:

Oh man, this seems like an easy project. Depending on what switch they used, you might be able to tap in to the extra set of poles on that tap switch and wire it in to a tap tempo metronome. Else just drill a hole for the second switch and physically link them with a snap on cover of sorts.

Would there be a market for something like this? I could probably build a prototype by the end of the week.

I don't think it works the way you think it works.

You just use the footswitch to punch in and out of the loop. It uses a digital IC to store the loop and play it back in an endless loop, until you step on another switch to end it.
The switches are most likely momentary SPSTs

You'd need your own digital IC which divides the loop length down into suitable beats based on who-knows-what and then uses pulses to trigger a metronome.

good luck have fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oh ok, I misinterpeted how that pedal works. I haven't used that model before. I just saw the "tap tempo" label below the switch and figured you could use that to synch up with the momentary button/switch on a tap tempo metronome. But I guess that would only work for very short loops.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
The tap tempo switch is used for the pedal's delay mode. It can also work as a traditional delay pedal.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Just thought I'd post this here, I seem to have a lot of delay pedals recently and I thought I'd muck about with them.

A TC electronic flashback, a strymon el capistan, and a line 6 M9. Not really a fair scientific comparison, I just wanted to see which sounded more useful to me in a musical/mix situation. Flashback won.

Popcorn posted:

I'm not sure if this is the place to ask this, but my band is trying to use a loop pedal to loop a guitar part, but, inevitably, the drummer is having a hard time hearing the loop so he can keep in time with it. Any suggestions for how to fight this?

It feels like headphones should be the answer. I guess we could buy a splitter or mixer and route the loop into the amp and into a pair of headphones for him.

e: to clarify, if it isn't clear, the reason the drummer can't hear the loop is that we all end up playing stuff on top of it and it gets buried. We all end up playing to the drummer's tempo and then the loop gets out of sync completely.

Unless the loop is rhythmic enough as to have a clear pulse to it, yer hosed in my opinion, even if you can get it monitored to the drummer hes still in danger of "losing it" live.

Solutions: retrigger the loop every time,
put it on a backing track,
some kind of solution that gets it to a click, perhaps using midi or something.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Nov 9, 2012

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Popcorn posted:

I'm not sure if this is the place to ask this, but my band is trying to use a loop pedal to loop a guitar part, but, inevitably, the drummer is having a hard time hearing the loop so he can keep in time with it. Any suggestions for how to fight this?

It feels like headphones should be the answer. I guess we could buy a splitter or mixer and route the loop into the amp and into a pair of headphones for him.

e: to clarify, if it isn't clear, the reason the drummer can't hear the loop is that we all end up playing stuff on top of it and it gets buried. We all end up playing to the drummer's tempo and then the loop gets out of sync completely.

I was doing this for a while; the loop I used was straight 8th notes with heavy delay, so it was pretty rhythmic and actually worked really well. It took a lot of practice though, and I always had to make sure my amp was loud enough and angled toward the drummer so he could hear it clearly. Eventually I gave the looping up and just started playing it (the loop was recorded on a Line 6 DL4 and played back at double speed, then saved to my JamMan), which gives me some room to actually play around with it.

What kind of part are you trying to loop?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I used to own a Zoom g9.2tt and it pretty much scared me off multi-FX pedals since I got a proper tube amp and it sucked all the high-end out of my sound when I put it in the FX-loop. Does anyone have any suggestions for multi-FX units that are cheaper than the TC G-System that also do not suck?

niff
Jul 4, 2010

Bluebeard into El Oso is devastating. Mini-Mu into El Oso is beautiful.

I posted here cause I am using a true bypass looper to remove the boss tuner in a loop in order to remove the buffer from my chain so my passive rickenbacker goes right into the fuzz. The Mini-Mu is also in a loop because my drunken stomping is going to break the tiny switches on it one day.

The beer is where a 70s DOD 250 clone is gonna go once it's build/I can pay for it, ha.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Do you think either the Shimverb or Bluesky in shimmer mode would pick up the octave strings in a 12-string enough to prove reliably audible? Would that generate too much treble and destroy ears?

Similarly, how might it sound on a bass?

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
I have a couple of questions.

I'm trying to get a dream pop sound, like Cocteau Twins, etc., so I was wondering what effects I would want to get to do that. I know a reverb is important for that, so what is a good, cheaper reverb to buy?

My other question deals with the effects I have now. What is the best order to put a Whammy pedal, a Wah and a Big Muff Pi to make sure my guitar doesn't sound like poo poo? I play a MIM telecaster, if that matters at all.

Edit: By Cocteau Twins, I mean their earlier stuff like Garlands/Head Over Heels.

the mean lunch lady fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 20, 2012

niff
Jul 4, 2010

JRizzle posted:

My other question deals with the effects I have now. What is the best order to put a Whammy pedal, a Wah and a Big Muff Pi to make sure my guitar doesn't sound like poo poo? I play a MIM telecaster, if that matters at all.

i would recommend having your whammy first, then wah, then muff - but experiment with the muff/wah position as you might like your dirty wah'd tone, or wah'd dirty tone.

whammy first is for tracking/clarity - unless you are specifically wanting a warbled mess, then by all means experiment!

BobOfDoom
May 24, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Edit: Just kidding, figured one out. http://cioks.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=58&Itemid=73

The more I use everything the more I find myself wanting a patch bay and foot controller to keep everything in use. What do you guys find the best for your mileage? I've never had to use any before, and I'm not really sure where to start.

BobOfDoom fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Dec 23, 2012

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

BobOfDoom posted:

Edit: Just kidding, figured one out. http://cioks.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=58&Itemid=73

The more I use everything the more I find myself wanting a patch bay and foot controller to keep everything in use. What do you guys find the best for your mileage? I've never had to use any before, and I'm not really sure where to start.

I can really recommend the 6-loop G-Lab GSC-3 with M4L extension which provides 4 additional loops. See http://www.glab.com.pl/gsc-3_en and http://www.glab.com.pl/midi_4xloop_en. I use one myself for 4 pedals before pre-amp (Boss DD-3, OCD, TS-7, RAT) and 4 pedals in the fx-loop (Boss TR-2, SMMH, RV-3, RV-5). Additionally the GSC-3 can switch channels on my Marshall JVM410 over MIDI. And the GSC-3 provides 6 9V/DC power outputs as well!

I paid around €600 (~ $790) for it, which is not an awful lot for the functionality that you get. It's a Polish company so I'm not sure if you can get their stuff in the US.

skudmunky
Apr 28, 2010

JRizzle posted:

I'm trying to get a dream pop sound, like Cocteau Twins, etc., so I was wondering what effects I would want to get to do that. I know a reverb is important for that, so what is a good, cheaper reverb to buy?

Edit: By Cocteau Twins, I mean their earlier stuff like Garlands/Head Over Heels.

I do wah -> whammy -> big muff pi. I pretty much use either the whammy or the wah so it doesn't really matter which is first.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
For dream pop you also can't go wrong with adding EQ pedals to your setup in order to sculpt all the other effects into sounding appropriately sweet.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

JRizzle posted:

You're definitely going to want a chorus pedal for a Cocteau Twins type sound. I have a Boss CE-Chorus that I really like, and I think Robin Guthrie used Boss pedals as well. I know Robert Smith of the Cure was a big fan of Boss pedals and is another big Chorus user.

I can't give you any advice about a reverb but also think about looking into phasers and flangers. I can't remember how much they were used early in their career but the Cocteau Twins definitely used them more and more over the years, and they're super fun effects.

I'm a huge dream pop fan so if you ever get around to writing and recording make sure you post your tracks somewhere on the forum.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

JRizzle posted:

Whammys sound differnet pre and after gain but neither is wrong, I prefer after. Wah pretty much always goes before unless you want a really obnoxious filter effect.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 24, 2013

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008

JRizzle posted:

If im using any distortion then i ALWAYS use it first in the chain so that subsequent FX shape the distorted sound as well, but thats just my personal preference. The best thing is to just experiment and swap stuff around until it sounds good, i know thats an obvious thing to say but its true.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

To the guys that employ more than 3 pedals: what's the best way to power all of them and not find yourself in a mess of adapters? I could go the battery route, sure, but I like not having to hope they don't die on me.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
One-spot!
http://www.amazon.com/Visual-Sound-Spot-Combo-Pack/dp/B000RNB720

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 brick

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm a Danelectrode man myself. Bonus points for being able to dial in different voltages for that "dying battery" sound.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

And you don't have grounding issues with those things?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Not so you notice, as long as it's plugged into the same strip as the amp. That's the whole point.

The OneSpot is the inexpensive version, the Voodoo Lab is the high end version, and the Danelectrode is funky, by the way. Any of them should work for ninety percent of all cases.

yeastiality
Dec 20, 2012

JRizzle posted:

For dream pop/shoegaze type stuff, you seem to have the right idea (chorus/reverb/fuzz/etc). For reverb specifically, I use the Holy Grail Plus. It's easy to use (2 dials and a 4-way switch, where one of the switch settings is a reverb+flange that can be really fun). If you want a more minimal setup, there are probably cheaper 'just reverb' effects from Danelectro/Boss/MXR. You probably already know, but I'd suggest having the reverb right near the end before you go to an amp/speakers/whatever (so that you reverb "the sound of the other effects", instead of distorting your reverb's echoes or something like that).

For the whammy, how are you planning to use it? Octave shift? Harmonizer? I like to use the "detune chorus" setting on mine for building atmospheric sounds (along with my reverb and a delay). A real chorus will give you much more control, but I really like the sound of the whammy detune. For the other settings (harmonizer etc) you'll generally want it to be early in your chain (before distortion) because of how it can go crazy when it has extra frequency content to work with. I personally have a lot of trouble getting my whammy shifts to sound good with anything beyond single notes, but apparently the older ones have better tracking...not sure if there's any truth to that, though.

As mentioned, the wah is best right near the start of the chain too. That will let you filter the base guitar sound when you open/close it, which will control the downstream effects gracefully. If you put the wah later in the chain, what you're filtering with it is created by distortion/whammy/etc, not by your hands playing the guitar. That has its own merits, but it will be much harder to control by your playing. The same thing applies to the whammy if you're using 'octave shift' and opening/closing it (ala Tom Morello's guitar solos).

hitchensgoespop posted:

If im using any distortion then i ALWAYS use it first in the chain so that subsequent FX shape the distorted sound as well, but thats just my personal preference. The best thing is to just experiment and swap stuff around until it sounds good, i know thats an obvious thing to say but its true.

This is especially true if you have a dynamic drive/distortion (like the newer TC stuff). Just like the whammy/wah, your hands will control what the effect does, so that it becomes an extension of your guitar playing (rather than an accessory you set up and then ignore). The cool part is that if you have effects later on that respond to different loudness/content, you can control them too by the distortion (even if they're not dynamic in the same way).

yeastiality fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Mar 4, 2013

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Abel Wingnut posted:

To the guys that employ more than 3 pedals: what's the best way to power all of them and not find yourself in a mess of adapters? I could go the battery route, sure, but I like not having to hope they don't die on me.

I've been using this for a while now with no issues.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!
I just ordered stuff to build my own analog tremolo pedal. I'm pretty stoked/somewhat nervous about loving it up. Mammoth looked like they had some pretty nice options for kits. we'll see how it goes.

http://www.mammothelectronics.com/EA-Tremolo-GuitarPCB-com-Pedal-Kit-p/kit-gpcb-eatrem.htm

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

I'M NOT ABOUT TO START SPENDING MONEY ON THE FORUMS, THANKS.

Tiny Faye posted:

I just ordered stuff to build my own analog tremolo pedal. I'm pretty stoked/somewhat nervous about loving it up. Mammoth looked like they had some pretty nice options for kits. we'll see how it goes.

I haven't used a kit from Mammoth, and I tend to dislike kits because they give you just enough components to do the build. There tend to be no extra parts in case you burn something up. This might not be the case with Mammoth kits, though.

If this is the first time you've done an electronics build, make sure to watch the transistors moreso than anything else. They're pretty heat-sensitive, so a pair of 'gator clips or something clamped on the leg you're soldering to act as a heatsink is a big help. Also, a static zap has been known to kill them from time to time, so watch for that.

I go overboard when it comes to transistors, but when it's 3am and the fear is gone, it sucks to have your last transistor in a build burn out. Especially when you find that you have none to replace it.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Anyone know the most cost effective way to get a tone similar to the fuzzy lead halfway through this video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTRdmXX2UfQ&t=86s

Thanks.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Sounds like a voltage starved germanium fuzz.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!

Loaf32 posted:

I haven't used a kit from Mammoth, and I tend to dislike kits because they give you just enough components to do the build. There tend to be no extra parts in case you burn something up. This might not be the case with Mammoth kits, though.

If this is the first time you've done an electronics build, make sure to watch the transistors moreso than anything else. They're pretty heat-sensitive, so a pair of 'gator clips or something clamped on the leg you're soldering to act as a heatsink is a big help. Also, a static zap has been known to kill them from time to time, so watch for that.

I go overboard when it comes to transistors, but when it's 3am and the fear is gone, it sucks to have your last transistor in a build burn out. Especially when you find that you have none to replace it.

Thanks for the gator clip tip. I've only recently just learned to solder and I have a few more little projects I'm practicing on before starting this pedal. Not really worried about spare bits and pieces in case I very likely melt something - I'm somewhat lucky in that they can be found pretty easily around Cambridge MA (thanks nerds).

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

Hi, boys and girls, I'm Jimmy Carl Black, and I'm the Indian of the group!

Gaspy Conana posted:

Anyone know the most cost effective way to get a tone similar to the fuzzy lead halfway through this video?

Thanks.

It sounds like an old Maestro FZ-1. The same kind used on Satisfaction.

Here's one for $350 http://www.capsulemusic.com/retail/detail.php?id=519

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

Tiny Faye posted:

Not really worried about spare bits and pieces in case I very likely melt something - I'm somewhat lucky in that they can be found pretty easily around Cambridge MA (thanks nerds).

That's pretty badass, then. I wish we had good components resources around here. I've just been taking to doing bulk orders and trying to harvest spares from old broken poo poo. I kind of like that, though; keeps stuff from going in the dump, and makes me look forward to something breaking.

Oh, the gator clip thing: make sure it's between the solder point and the body of the transistor itself.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Gaspy Conana posted:

Thanks.

A germanium fuzz will get you in the ballpark. EHX makes a version of the Big Muff with germanium transistors; you'll probably want to try one out but here's a demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26nMH9j__fg

Zero Trust
Dec 29, 2009

"the car's on fire, and there's no driver at the wheel..."
Has anybody got a basic guide for starting to create your own pedals? I have pretty basic electronics skills from messing around with arduinos and the like but I have no idea how effects are made or where to start, is there a go-to site on this?

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
Crosspost from the small questions thread:

Gorilla Salsa posted:

So I really, really want to get the EHX RTG, but I have questions about how it should be connected. I know it's probably meant to be used with DJs or something who have multiple inputs and what not, but if I wanted to have it on a pedalboard and just plug it into a regular guitar amp, could I just plug it in via a Y-Cable, or would that wreak havoc on my tone? Alternatively, would a TBP looper be able to facilitate it?

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Crosspost from the small questions thread:

edit: I had a look. You would probably need a small mixer if you want to run this through an amplifier. Honestly I have no idea who the target market of that pedal is, it doesn't seem like it would be useful to a wide enough audience for EHX to bother

the wizards beard fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 18, 2013

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

Gaspy Conana posted:

Thanks.

The Catalinbread Merkin and Bigfoot Spaghetti Western Fuzz are two that that come to mind. Definitely agree that it sounds like an early 60s 3 transistor fuzz like the Maestro FZ-1.

If you are handy with a soldering iron, the FZ-1 is a pretty easy build. The only issue with it is that it was designed to be used with 2 AAs for 3 volts. The Spaghetti Western sounds like an FZ-1 designed to run at 9 volts, but the PCB is epoxied so no one has traced it yet. Building a clone of the Merkin is probably your best bet: http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2010/09/catalinbread-merkin-fuzz.html

Loaf32
Feb 18, 2007

Epileptic Nazi posted:

Has anybody got a basic guide for starting to create your own pedals? I have pretty basic electronics skills from messing around with arduinos and the like but I have no idea how effects are made or where to start, is there a go-to site on this?

There's a really good forum that you can jump to right away:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/

Here's some odds and ends that will prove useful at some point:
http://circuitworkshop.com/forum/index.php
http://beavisaudio.com
http://beavisaudio.com/Links/
http://web.archive.org/web/20050119104631/http://www.geocities.com/tpe123/folkurban/fuzz/snippets.html
http://apocalypseaudio.blogspot.com/2010/06/electronics-calculators.html

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

^^ Beavis Audio is one of the best sites on the net for DIY-ers.

Epileptic Nazi posted:

Somehow I talked the guy who makes Great Wall fuzz pedals in to mailing me the guts of one of his pedals with a hand drawn diagram(!) for about $75 back in 2008. Great Wall is a great pedal to learn on because it's so simple inside (except for the fact that it has about 5 knobs)

http://www.fuzzhugger.com/pedal-great-wall.html

Build your own clone has some cool kits, I would look at one of the more simple ones. in the $100 range. I used to think this was really expensive, but audio-quality parts + stompable quality switches & enclosures get expensive fast!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acute Hepatitis
Feb 25, 2008

King of Bikes

the wizards beard posted:

edit: I had a look. You would probably need a small mixer if you want to run this through an amplifier. Honestly I have no idea who the target market of that pedal is, it doesn't seem like it would be useful to a wide enough audience for EHX to bother

yeah i was annoyed at that too lol

i picked up a boss ce-2 today, it's tight