Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I guess Polish or Russian are the best VOs but has anyone tried French or German? I can imagine those work pretty well, too, for a 'medieval' game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Yodzilla posted:

Holy gently caress once you get out in the forest near Flotsam and Doing Witcher Things 2 gets real awesome real quick. Now I see why people like this game so much.

e: Rupert and Gridley helped me dispel the curse :black101:

yay out of the boring grind of the intro!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Got finished with the Flotsam troll quest. I really liked it, though I can't explain why. Maybe its just how straight they played the "troll under bridge collecting tolls" idea. It was cool. And the alcoholism

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

I guess Polish or Russian are the best VOs but has anyone tried French or German? I can imagine those work pretty well, too, for a 'medieval' game.
I tried playing with the Polish voice-actors but I hated it. I really love Geralt's English voice-actor so I missed that especially.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

DOOP posted:

Got finished with the Flotsam troll quest. I really liked it, though I can't explain why. Maybe its just how straight they played the "troll under bridge collecting tolls" idea. It was cool. And the alcoholism

Boy's hole sadly not a required quest item.

e: haha the Kayran Carapace Armor is glorious. i love the stupid little hood

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 13, 2013

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I hope for Witcher 3 they no longer have segments where you're controller someone other than Geralt. They haven't been long in Wither 2 but for a series that's so much about his experiences and history it's super jarring to suddenly be taken out of that.

Also I'm glad the scripted stuff at the beginning of Chapter 2 wasn't all that long. I had to play that goddamn wraith attack three times due to NPCs not moving, enemies I needed to kill getting stuck outside of my attack area and just a straight up crash.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

New players need to make sure they visit Roche and drink with the guys before leaving Flotsam.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Too late for this playthrough but maybe my next one since I saved right at the end of Chapter 1.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Reload that save now just to check it out

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Yodzilla posted:

Too late for this playthrough but maybe my next one since I saved right at the end of Chapter 1.

Depending on how near the end of act 1 you saved it may be too late. But really do that quest you get the best reward ever for doing it.

Also at some point some guy in act 2 will ask you for large amounts of harpy feathers and it really seems like the quest is going to be a long boring grind it probably will be but do it anyway because its totally worth it.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

SpRahl posted:

Depending on how near the end of act 1 you saved it may be too late. But really do that quest you get the best reward ever for doing it.

I mean I have literally all my saves so it's no big deal but if you mean after the Flotsam uprising being too late I'll have to roll back a bit. I'll remember to check it out when I revisit the area to go with Roche because I went the other way for this playthrough and I'm a good deal further now.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Yeah, that's definitely too late. I don't remember exactly when the cut-off is, it might have to be before the Kayran fight. It definitely has to be before meeting Letho, I think.

Edit: He's on Iorveth's Path, so he won't be able to do that one on this playthrough. The comedy relief quest for Iorveth's Path is the succubus quest.
VVVV

Lycus fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Mar 14, 2013

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Yodzilla posted:

I mean I have literally all my saves so it's no big deal but if you mean after the Flotsam uprising being too late I'll have to roll back a bit. I'll remember to check it out when I revisit the area to go with Roche because I went the other way for this playthrough and I'm a good deal further now.

I think I remember going back and doing it when you pretend to have captured Iorveth and bring him to Letho. Then the Blue stripes attack. I could be wrong since that's about the time I also did my second playthrough and started at a similar point.

Also I don't remember the exact quest in Act 2 but it involves making a potion and drinking it... and having wonderful visions. Totally do that side quest.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Holy poo poo I'm tired of Witcher games failing quests arbitrarily because triggering a section of one quest cancels out another. There really needs to be some sort of warning or something to avoid that in the future.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Yodzilla posted:

Holy poo poo I'm tired of Witcher games failing quests arbitrarily because triggering a section of one quest cancels out another. There really needs to be some sort of warning or something to avoid that in the future.
I think I know exactly which one you're talking about. If I'm right it's because (trying to be as vague as possible) advancing that part of the main quest is going to cause a particular character to become absent, and that character's presence is required to finish the side quest. It is inconvenient on your first playthrough when you don't know the details, but I don't really know how they would do a warning in this particular case.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah I guess. In the first game I know it happened a few times as well, I can remember specifically some quest to save people in a cave and there's also apparently a kid that you need to rescue in there as well but if you save the people the other quest just ends for no good reason.

On another note, one thing I wonder about with Witcher 3 is how they're going to handle what they say is an open world. While there is plenty of stuff to do in Witcher 2 and I like how much detail is in all of the environments the overall area is pretty small and very...pathy. It's a bit better than Witcher 1 but you're still confined to very narrow corridors for 90% of the game even if those corridors are made up of small fences or shrubs that it seems like you'd be able to walk through.

One thing for sure I like about Witcher 2 over Witcher 1 is how all of the signs are finally useful. In fact I'd go as far as to say that Igni went from godlike in Witcher 1 to quite possibly the worst in Witcher 2. Aard and Yrden are super useful in combat to allow openings for combos and Quen combined with the explosion when it's broken is powerful as hell. I still never really use Hex but right now Igni seems to be just a kind of really weak spell. Bombs are so much more useful and powerful even with my slightly beefed up sign damage. I like that.

e: oh and is there any rhyme or reason to when you can or can't use your adrenaline finishers? i get that they won't work on bosses but sometimes against normal enemies it just kinda says no and i don't understand why

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Igni is only useful if you're speccing hard into the Mage tree. Level 3 Igni charges Heliotrope very quickly.

I think the enemies' health has to be low enough in order for finishers to work. That's my least favorite adrenaline ability, so I'm not entirely certain.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 16, 2013

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Just finished Witcher 2 and I can't wait to see how hosed everything is in 3. Though with all the political mess I still hope the focus on The Wild Hunt means we get more actual witching in he next game.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Igni isn't bad, alchemy(and by extension, bombs) is just game breakingly overpowered.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I would say that Level 1 Igni is bad and basically useless. You have to Level it up to 3 to get any real use out of it. In contrast, Aard, Quen and Yrden are useful at any level.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Quen in particular seems absolutely necessary in this game. I'm not sure how you'd defeat The Draug without it being beefed up. But yeah by the end of the game my Aard was so powerful that I was insta-killing stunned enemies all over the place.

And as for the sword adrenaline ability, I think it's not broken just super limited. It only works on regular harpies but not the two more powerful ones, doesn't work on any big enemies, works on all variants of nekker and drowner and ghoul and works on humans. On top of that humans are the only ones you can do multiple kills with just because I guess that's the only one they made animations for. Bizarrely sometimes I'd go into a group of enemies, trigger the animation of Geralt killing four soldiers or so and then they'd still be there after. No idea.

In Rainbows
Feb 26, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

Quen in particular seems absolutely necessary in this game. I'm not sure how you'd defeat The Draug without it being beefed up. But yeah by the end of the game my Aard was so powerful that I was insta-killing stunned enemies all over the place.

My first playthrough I used Quen all the time, but I just replayed it two days ago for Iorveth's path and I never used Quen. Literally not a single time. I actually leveled up magic this time instead of the sword path like I first did, and I found that spamming Aard and Igni was great. Yrden I used only for really big guys.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I'm doing the "Beauty and the Beast" quest in Witcher 1. I looked up how to find out who's the werewolf, but I already did the quest where you take the Salamandra hideout in the Temple quarter sewers out, and never met Vincent Meis in werewolf form. Is this a bug?

Edit: Nevermind, I thought it was talking about a different quest. Man, that's a pudgy werewolf.

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 17, 2013

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Farecoal posted:

I'm doing the "Beauty and the Beast" quest in Witcher 1. I looked up how to find out who's the werewolf, but I already did the quest where you take the Salamandra hideout in the Temple quarter sewers out, and never met Vincent Meis in werewolf form. Is this a bug?
Happens later.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

In Rainbows posted:

My first playthrough I used Quen all the time, but I just replayed it two days ago for Iorveth's path and I never used Quen. Literally not a single time. I actually leveled up magic this time instead of the sword path like I first did, and I found that spamming Aard and Igni was great. Yrden I used only for really big guys.

I found this to be true as well on my second playthrough, and I went swordmanship. I did use it a couple of times for boss fights but usually it's just easier to roll in and out of enemy groups.

For me at least, whenever I stood still I got surrounded by enemies, which almost immediately dropped my quen. I'd rather use my vigor for something else.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

And as for the sword adrenaline ability, I think it's not broken just super limited. It only works on regular harpies but not the two more powerful ones, doesn't work on any big enemies, works on all variants of nekker and drowner and ghoul and works on humans. On top of that humans are the only ones you can do multiple kills with just because I guess that's the only one they made animations for. Bizarrely sometimes I'd go into a group of enemies, trigger the animation of Geralt killing four soldiers or so and then they'd still be there after. No idea.
That guy is a pushover if you can get behind him and heavy attack a part of him that isn't his bazzilion hp shield.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Asehujiko posted:

That guy is a pushover if you can get behind him
Which Yrden makes easy.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I keep having persistent crashes in the battle in the Salamandra hideout in chapter III, even with graphics setting turned all the way down.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Lycus posted:

Which Yrden makes easy.
The funny part of this is that my first playthrough I had heard of everyone's problems with the fight, and I somehow managed to roll behind him and one-shotted the guy. Seems that was a bug, but I was a bit let down until I had my Dark mode playthrough where somehow the guy started the battle charging at me immediately and I'd be knocked down while the preceding cutscreen finished fading out. Even with Yrden I couldn't keep the guy pinned down long enough to roll and hit him due to the sheer size.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

In Rainbows posted:

I also really dont use Quen much now although really I think that its more to do with the fact that when I first got the game Quen was stupidly awesome and broken and now it just doesnt hold the same appeal to me. Although its still pretty crucial in a Darkmode run.

And yeah igni really really sucks without any poins in it. But if you do invest heavily in magic and get all the sign intensity traits and igni traits its pretty awesome. Its also really the only way to effectively charge adrenalin with magic since quen was nerfed.

Randomzx
Jul 26, 2007

necrobobsledder posted:

The funny part of this is that my first playthrough I had heard of everyone's problems with the fight, and I somehow managed to roll behind him and one-shotted the guy. Seems that was a bug, but I was a bit let down until I had my Dark mode playthrough where somehow the guy started the battle charging at me immediately and I'd be knocked down while the preceding cutscreen finished fading out. Even with Yrden I couldn't keep the guy pinned down long enough to roll and hit him due to the sheer size.

The thing about Yrden is that strong type enemies have higher resistance ratio to Yrden stun. BUT, their resistance drops greatly if they step on Yrden during their attack animation. So basically, you should be close enough to the enemy to provoke them into performing their attack, but that they'll be stepping into the trap in the animation. First time fight against Letho really becomes a joke when you could chain backstab him to death.

Oh yea, the Axii sign is really useful early game when you don't have a lot of AOE options. You just need to remember that it is a channeling spell that you need to hold down before it can finish. So using Yrden to help you create a bottleneck or using Quen is a good way to buy you enough time to finish casting the spell. Once an enemy is hexed, you get like almost half the enemies in the group off your aggro, giving you more breathing room and more attack opportunities. It is especially useful to hex the big enemies like the heavy knights, since they really chew through the grunts for you.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Randomzx posted:

The thing about Yrden is that strong type enemies have higher resistance ratio to Yrden stun. BUT, their resistance drops greatly if they step on Yrden during their attack animation. So basically, you should be close enough to the enemy to provoke them into performing their attack, but that they'll be stepping into the trap in the animation. First time fight against Letho really becomes a joke when you could chain backstab him to death.

That fight becomes a lot easier if you abandon the careful dodgy/Quen approach and realise that there's a reason Witchers are known for being crazed psychos. If you just throw yourself at him you can pin him in a corner with constant Aards and strong attacks.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Strom Cuzewon posted:

That fight becomes a lot easier if you abandon the careful dodgy/Quen approach and realise that there's a reason Witchers are known for being crazed psychos. If you just throw yourself at him you can pin him in a corner with constant Aards and strong attacks.

This is how I beat him the first time because it felt like my Yrdens weren't working. The second time through I had a better handling on positioning and it is indeed quite strong if your opponent triggers it during an attack (so long as they don't have quen up).

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Just starting a Witcher 1: EE first time playthrough. Is there anything I should know? What mods/patches should I get? How do I sleep with all the women?

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Its good to go without any mods. Dont bother with the FCR combat rebalance mod as its meant for a more hardcore replay. Its pretty easy to sleep with 80% of the women without really trying. One of the funnier encounters is with the bar girl during Chapter 1, so make sure to rescue her (the choice/encounter is unavoidable) & follow up with her meeting request afterwards.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Sanzuo posted:

Just starting a Witcher 1: EE first time playthrough. Is there anything I should know? What mods/patches should I get? How do I sleep with all the women?

You will want to know that every time you hit quicksave (f5) the game creates a new saved game file and that these files are about 20 mb. When your saved folder gets too large the game can start to crash/have issues so every once in awhile clean it out with this. At one point I had 2 gigabytes of saves.

You also might want to check this out to make your life easier. It adds a three key items to your inventory that let you meditate anywhere, open the storage chest anywhere, and turn cat eyes on or off forever. It's up to you but having a mobile storage chest has been really nice.

Also while not really necessary this Faster movement mod makes the swamp a bit easier. Install it if you want.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Cirofren posted:

This is how I beat him the first time because it felt like my Yrdens weren't working. The second time through I had a better handling on positioning and it is indeed quite strong if your opponent triggers it during an attack (so long as they don't have quen up).
No, even with his Quen up, he can still get stunned by Yrden. That's exactly the best time to use Yrden (there are better things to do when his Quen is down). The Yrden stun typically lasts longer than the remaining Quen, so I just get behind him and wait for it to drop before wailing on him.

Thello
Jan 14, 2007

Captain's Log...
Is there a place to get the Polish language pack? I played the first game that way and I want to play this one that way too!

Mortuus
Nov 8, 2012

Jesus loves you, useless corpse
When exactly can you start the Ves quest in the Blue Stripes hideout in Flotsam? Every time I go in there, there's just a couple of dudes sitting there, and the walkthrough I saw had the cutscene trigger as soon as he walked in, which isn't happening for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Hey, I was playing the tournament quest in chapter 2 on Roche's path... and suddenly I was only doing minimal damage! I have great equipment for this period in the game and was using a steel sword, but EVERY hit did minimal... WTF? Has this happened to anyone?

Edit:

Another weird glitch, but a funny one. Sometimes, in cutscenes (talking or instakill) a character will stand cloned next to the acting one. For instance, when King Henselt is attacked by one of the witchers, Henselt cowers, but also stands in the middle of the tent as the assassin walks through his body.)

mrbotus fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 23, 2013

• Locked thread