Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

escape artist posted:

Tonight's episode was harder than the Tournament of Champions episodes!

I guess it really depends on your strengths. I thought this episode was especially easy, neglecting the FJ question where I licked into the (second) correct answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

in_cahoots posted:

I guess it really depends on your strengths. I thought this episode was especially easy, neglecting the FJ question where I licked into the (second) correct answer.

FJ was easy as hell! I got Costa Rica, without a second thought.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

escape artist posted:

FJ was easy as hell! I got Costa Rica, without a second thought.

My brain thinks of Costa Rica as an island so I always forget about it. Belize I guessed just because it's the stereotypical 'safe' country where middle-class Americans want to retire.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
I was watching with my mom - she went with Belize, I went with Costa Rica.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

What the Hell is this woman's name?!

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Tonight was weird... The "harder" (read: worth more money) clues were easier than the 200s.

Also, FJ was too easy, and I have never even seen either of their films! The Fonda siblings, undoubtedly.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
Yellowles. That is all goons.

Yellowles.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

Doomsday Jesus posted:

Yellowles. That is all goons.

Yellowles.
Yellowlees

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009
Man, I ain't even gonna guess.

This girl in the middle is silent so far, except for one great answer. Yes, of course, I too associate 1987 Russia with Kruschev.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

funktopus posted:

Man, I ain't even gonna guess.

This girl in the middle is silent so far, except for one great answer. Yes, of course, I too associate 1987 Russia with Kruschev.
Yeah, that was embarrassing...

Also "Santa Anna" as a Mexican general in the mid 1850s that was responsible for losing a lot of territory to the US... was the easiest daily double ever.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
The gently caress kinda bullshit was that for a FJ?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

jojoinnit posted:

The gently caress kinda bullshit was that for a FJ?

I don't know. One time the FJ was Beatles songs and it was

The title of this Beatles song is a Yoruba phrase that means "life goes on"

Which was pretty cool, because you have to be a Beatles fan to know that, I think. Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da

I got really excited when I saw the category, and it was the easiest question ever. Also, the daily doubles have been easy as gently caress lately, when I thought they were, theoretically, the hardest questions on each board.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp
Maybe this is just vicarious sour grapes, but this is really unimpressive for an 8-day run.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

escape artist posted:

I don't know. One time the FJ was Beatles songs and it was

The title of this Beatles song is a Yoruba phrase that means "life goes on"

Which was pretty cool, because you have to be a Beatles fan to know that, I think. Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da

Or grew up in the 80's and watched The Corky Thatcher show.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

Punch Card posted:

Maybe this is just vicarious sour grapes, but this is really unimpressive for an 8-day run.
He's easily the weakest champion of recent memory. His competition has been complete dogshit.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Punch Card posted:

Sara had like more than half of his (8-day) total in 3 days.

It is very unimpressive.

Plus he looks like Jack McBrayer's 30 Rock character in real life.

Frot Lesnar posted:

Or grew up in the 80's and watched The Corky Thatcher show.

I grew up in the 90's so I don't know what that is. I was just a big time stoner in high school and listened to every Beatles song a hundred times.

edit: Oh, the actor with downs syndrome. What did that song have to do with that show?

escape artist fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Mar 15, 2013

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

escape artist posted:

Sara had like more than half of his (8-day) total in 3 days.

It is very unimpressive.

Plus he looks like Jack McBrayer's 30 Rock character in real life.

I grew up in the 90's so I don't know what that is. I was just a big time stoner in high school and listened to every Beatles song a hundred times.

edit: Oh, the actor with downs syndrome. What did that song have to do with that show?

It was the theme song of the show, Life Goes On.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA
Reports are coming out that have Matt Lauer as the lead candidate to replace Alex Trebek when he decides to retire. Dear god no.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

Frot Lesnar posted:

Reports are coming out that have Matt Lauer as the lead candidate to replace Alex Trebek when he decides to retire. Dear god no.

:barf: that is a terrible loving idea. I want to find that person who suggested that and hide him in my oubliette until Trebek retires to make sure it doesn't happen.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
It should be Ken Jennings, but it won't :(

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

BrooklynBruiser posted:

It should be Ken Jennings, but it won't :(

I may boycott Jeopardy! for a brief period (I mean I can't stay away FOREVER) if it is not Ken Jennings.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Aww, I liked Drew :(

Frot Lesnar posted:

Well, that'll be the end of Jeopardy for me

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
So glad Jack McBrayer's twin brother finally lost. 8 day total of 140k? Sara made 77 in 3 days! You suck!

And he got beat by the gooniest of goons, so it's only appropriate. McBrayer tried to pull a Leonard Cooper and couldn't do it.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There is also rumor of Brian Williams and Dan Patrick as other possible names.

Honestly, if they really want to go with someone with journalism experience, they really can't go wrong with Pat Kiernan. He needs another game show after VH1 decided against another World Series of Pop Culture, the cretins.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

CarbonCpy posted:

There is also rumor of Brian Williams and Dan Patrick as other possible names.

Honestly, if they really want to go with someone with journalism experience, they really can't go wrong with Pat Kiernan. He needs another game show after VH1 decided against another World Series of Pop Culture, the cretins.

Brian Williams or Anderson Cooper would own.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Brian Williams would be fantastic.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I'm definitely Team Jennings, but Brian Williams would be great too.

Today's was a pretty bad episode though, especially after Drew fell flat on his face and everybody finished out the second round playing ridiculously conservatively.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

BrooklynBruiser posted:

Brian Williams or Anderson Cooper would own.

I don't really see Anderson Cooper taking over. He's slightly below Charlie Sheen on the crazy level, he has burned way too many bridges. That, plus just hiring him politicizes a non-political show.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
As much as Brian Williams would own (see: RAWR with Brian Williams on The Soup) I don't see any way they could get him without him quitting NBC News so that probably won't work.

I wouldn't mind Dan Patrick. He could at least pass for smart. Matt Lauer, regardless of his actual intelligence, cannot. They might as well get Hoda and Kathy Lee (actually that would kinda own).

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

thrakkorzog posted:

I don't really see Anderson Cooper taking over. He's slightly below Charlie Sheen on the crazy level, he has burned way too many bridges. That, plus just hiring him politicizes a non-political show.

:confused: In what way is Anderson Cooper near the Charlie Sheen level of crazy??

I think Cooper and Williams are both cool as news dudes, I'm just not sold on a news dude as a Jeopardy! host. (Though Hoda/Kathie Lee would be PHENOMENAL.) I am still Team Ken first and foremost, but Pat Kiernan is (a) waaaay underrated and (b) also Canadian, if they wanted to keep that theme. Actually just reunite Jennings and Kiernan from their time on Grand Slam, with Kiernan in some other cool non-hosting role. Not really, I just wanted to shoehorn Grand Slam into the discussion, please tell me someone else remembers that? Dennis Miller hosted it and I don't even remember him going off on any memorable crazy political rants! That alone should count for something!

uublog fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Mar 16, 2013

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

uublog posted:

Actually just reunite Jennings and Kiernan from their time on Grand Slam, with Kiernan in some other cool non-hosting role.

I just had the craziest thought pop into my head: Pat and Ken hosting an American version of Pointless. I feel like I need to write that down somewhere.

(And, yes, I remember Grand Slam as well. Asides from Russian Roulette, that was the best original GSN had ever ran)

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
I don't often care about what talking head is on what TV show, but Jeopardy! is an institution, damnit!

Ken Jennings is the right choice and this should be clear to everybody. And he's almost certainly the cheap choice as well, so I don't know why Matt Lauer or Anderson Cooper aren't already out of the running.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Kiernan is a fine choice. No third WSoPC is bittersweet. On the one hand, it was great. On the other hand, the winners are friends of mine and they get to stay champs forever.

But yes, Jennings is the perfect choice and that he's not even in the running is inexplicable. This should probably be a White House petition by now.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Yeah, I'm tuning out if it's Matt Lauer. :colbert:

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I mean, if it's Ken Jennings, I'll probably watch the whole episode. If it's Matt Lauer, I'll just fast forward and he'll read questions and make an occasional terrible joke. And I'm still going to try to get on the show... I think we've got one more round of tests before Alex leaves, unless he signs on for a few more years.

It'll be a loving bummer not to go on there and meet Alex, riff with 'em a la Colby.

I had a friend who went on there back in '03 and she said he had a nervous breakdown and started dropping f-bombs at the sound or stage crew, and this was in the midst of a middle school field trip to the show. Then someone came out to talk to the kids and said "We're so sorry, Mr. Trebek is having a bad day."

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Jennings could just not want to do it; knowing a lot and being funny in print doesn't mean he'd make a good performer.

My girlfriend just got called up for the New York audition; she already totally embarrasses me at bar trivia so this should be interesting.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Write a humor program for Watson and let him do it.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

zVxTeflon posted:

Write a humor program for Watson and let him do it.

*Colby talks back to Watson*

:derp: "KILL ALL HUMANS"

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

gooby on rails posted:

Jennings could just not want to do it; knowing a lot and being funny in print doesn't mean he'd make a good performer.

My girlfriend just got called up for the New York audition; she already totally embarrasses me at bar trivia so this should be interesting.

I'm pretty sure Jennings said he would love to, but hadn't been asked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

CarbonCpy posted:

I just had the craziest thought pop into my head: Pat and Ken hosting an American version of Pointless. I feel like I need to write that down somewhere.

(And, yes, I remember Grand Slam as well. Asides from Russian Roulette, that was the best original GSN had ever ran)

Yes!!!!! I also loved Russian Roulette, I don't know why but watching people fall through trap doors in the floor is awesome as hell to me. It's one of the first things I put in my imaginary mansion. On the topic of GSN originals: I had dreams of being on Lingo, cuz I can spell werds gud, but for some reason, replacing Weird Conservative host with Weird Midwestern Part-time Actor host has erased them. Weird.