Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

FTJ posted:

It does. It includes literally everything.
I'm finding it kind of overwhelming. I've only played the game once before but liked it enough to buy it and went for the Anniversary Edition. Then I opened it and don't even know which parts go to the base game of which expansion, so it hasn't even hit the table yet. Might try it tonight though if I have enough time to get everything sorted before my friends arrive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eirgen
Jan 29, 2010

tonedef131 posted:

I'm finding it kind of overwhelming. I've only played the game once before but liked it enough to buy it and went for the Anniversary Edition. Then I opened it and don't even know which parts go to the base game of which expansion, so it hasn't even hit the table yet. Might try it tonight though if I have enough time to get everything sorted before my friends arrive.

Pretty much what me and my friend ended up doing for a good hour. Had sorted out what was what and then began the process of figuring out the game.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Spincut posted:

I watched a walkthrough video of it on BGG (this one, if you're curious), and I think the best way I can describe it is a melding of Small World and Civilization. You're vying for territory in a very Small World way (though non-violently), but the way you build structures and create towns feels very reminiscent of Civ.

Watching the video, it seems like an interesting game, but it seems like it wouldn't be as fun if the game didn't have a full 5, since otherwise it seems like you don't get "crowding" issues that make games like TTR and Catan enjoyable. I'm not worried about having a 5, since that's a hard niche to cover, but I just hope it is more interactive than what I perceive. I also wonder how well balanced the races/factions are with each other, and how different it feels to play each one.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

GrandpaPants posted:

Watching the video, it seems like an interesting game, but it seems like it wouldn't be as fun if the game didn't have a full 5, since otherwise it seems like you don't get "crowding" issues that make games like TTR and Catan enjoyable. I'm not worried about having a 5, since that's a hard niche to cover, but I just hope it is more interactive than what I perceive. I also wonder how well balanced the races/factions are with each other, and how different it feels to play each one.

That's true, although the game mechanics kind of encourage you to crowd each other, since if someone builds adjacent to you, you have the chance to trade VP for Power, and trading houses are half as expensive if you build next to a different faction's structures. But yeah, I agree, it'd probably be a lot more interesting with the full complement of players.

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."
FLGS has both expansions for Twilight Imperium and are holding them for me. I'll be getting the core game from Amazon and scheduling a day to get it played after PAX.

They also had Mage Knight tucked away on the back and Race For the Galaxy and its expansions. drat their attractive selection of games and comics. :argh:

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

Crackbone posted:

I believe it should, it's a bonus with the anniversary edition. Where are you finding it available for sale?
On the BGG official store page that I hyperlinked on that post.

We played Star Wars LCG, Space Alert and Dominion for the first time today. Star Wars was... interesting, need to play much more to really figure it out.

Space Alert was a bit overwhelming, we breezed through the two test runs and died on the first simulation two times. ^^;

And Dominion was pure joy.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

The End posted:

Just picked up Rise of the Ancients for Eclipse. Any pointers on the best way to integrate it with the base game?

The only must is the new techs, since those solve the plasma missile problem. Just keep an eye out for the two misprint tiles. There are two apparent tech doubles that are actually misprints and need to be thrown out. I seem to recall that if you look at both sides of the tile it's really obvious which ones need to go.

The rest is just really cool flavor. I highly endorse the stronger galactic center and ancient homeworlds though. It gives aggressive players something to chew on that isn't each other.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Is Tom Vassel a member of the Quiverfull movement? If all his children had survived he'd be a father of 10 right now. (Not helldumping him, he himself brought up the issue in a BGG thread)

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

I was able to get a big pile of stuff over the past couple of weeks:

Galaxy Trucker Anniversary Edition :woop:

Urban Sprawl

Le Havre

Space Empires 4X

Republic of Rome - Goddamnit, I need to find a group with four or five hours to play this :(

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

Is Tom Vassel a member of the Quiverfull movement? If all his children had survived he'd be a father of 10 right now. (Not helldumping him, he himself brought up the issue in a BGG thread)

I always just thought that he really, really wants a son, and goddamn it, he's not going to stop until he gets one.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

My girlfriend likes monopoly because of the ability to collect things, trade those things, and it's easy to understand rules. I hate monopoly because 30 minutes in you know how the game will end but still have to a lot more playing time until you officially finish. What's a better game that we could be playing?

VVVVVV - Just 2 for now

cougar cub fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 17, 2013

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

How many players? Settlers of Catan sounds like it might be up her alley, and a good gateway game.

Ledhed
Feb 13, 2006
Doesn't believe in the letter a

cougar cub posted:

My girlfriend likes monopoly because of the ability to collect things, trade those things, and it's easy to understand rules. I hate monopoly because 30 minutes in you know how the game will end but still have to a lot more playing time until you officially finish. What's a better game that we could be playing?

Catan and Bohnanza come to mind.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Carteret posted:

I always just thought that he really, really wants a son, and goddamn it, he's not going to stop until he gets one.

He wants enough childnre to indoctrinate to have a full playgroup for Twilight Imperium at all times... at least that's MY theory. :tinfoil:

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?

cougar cub posted:

VVVVVV - Just 2 for now

Ticket to Ride

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Finally got around to playing some Carcassonne and Stone Age with the old folks last evening.

They picked up on Carcassone really quickly and we had a lot of fun, but by the time we got to Stone Age there had been some alcohol ingested and it went so-so, althought they got around somewhat on that game too. Still, Stone Age felt a bit repetitious and went on for way too long, partially because most involved didn't start gathering the "game ending" cards/huts until pretty late.

Thinking of picking up Flash Point or Pandemic (leaning Flash Point from last page's discussion) and maybe something else. I've been eying Seven Wonders or Memoir 44 for awhile but are there any other good family friendly co-opish games out there that you would recommend for people with little patience for massive rule-sets and such? Anything more than 90 minutes playtime is probably pushing it too.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

mongol posted:

Ticket to Ride
Seconding this. TtR is a great gateway game. The only thing you're missing from your list of what she likes is trading, but most of the time trading doesn't work too well in a 2-player game anyway.

Bonus points if she likes travel and/or trains.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Randalor posted:

How many players? Settlers of Catan sounds like it might be up her alley, and a good gateway game.

Catan says it's for 3-4 players not 2... I picked it up anyways, it's pretty drat cheap.

mongol posted:

Ticket to Ride

Looks interesting, thanks!

ImpactVector posted:

Seconding this. TtR is a great gateway game. The only thing you're missing from your list of what she likes is trading, but most of the time trading doesn't work too well in a 2-player game anyway.

Bonus points if she likes travel and/or trains.

She likes travel if it's to somewhere warm and there's no language problems... soooo ticket to ride USA it is!

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

cougar cub posted:

She likes travel if it's to somewhere warm and there's no language problems... soooo ticket to ride USA it is!
Fair warning: If you like the game you'll probably want to get the 1910 expansion. It's about $15 and has some more destination tickets to mix things up, but mainly you'll want it so you won't have to shuffle the mini-sized train tickets anymore.

Das Doppelganger
Dec 22, 2012
What Impact Vector said. Any time a I give a copy of TtR as a gift the 1910 expansion automatically goes with it. The normal cards alone are worth it.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

tonedef131 posted:

There is literally no end to my love for Galaxy Trucker, but first being introduced to the game with both of the expansions sounds absolutely nightmarish. Just make sure to keep in mind that the expansions are supposed to be modular and you don't have to play with every bit from every expansion. Our group tends to always use all the tiles (just because separating them out makes the pretty quick setup/teardown time brutally long), but other than that it's really easy to play without the evil machinations, support crew, or rough roads cards. Also, I'd seriously recommend getting a tacklebox or something, since keeping the game organized can reduce the setup time to almost nothing.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Paradoxish posted:

There is literally no end to my love for Galaxy Trucker, but first being introduced to the game with both of the expansions sounds absolutely nightmarish. Just make sure to keep in mind that the expansions are supposed to be modular and you don't have to play with every bit from every expansion. Our group tends to always use all the tiles (just because separating them out makes the pretty quick setup/teardown time brutally long), but other than that it's really easy to play without the evil machinations, support crew, or rough roads cards. Also, I'd seriously recommend getting a tacklebox or something, since keeping the game organized can reduce the setup time to almost nothing.

The Anniversary edition comes in a huge box which, most importantly, has two large spaces that I use to keep the base game tiles* and the expansion tiles separate. Just splitting them apart doesn't take that long when clearing up and it makes it much, much easier to teach the game to newbies which I find myself doing quite often these days. I also have all of the expansion adventure cards shuffled in too (with the exception of the boarders) and haven't yet had a problem.

* i.e. only canons, double canons, engines, double engines, crew, cargo, hazardous cargo, connector pieces, pink and brown aliens, shields and batteries not including the double/joint pieces like canon-engines and so on.

edit: and then I like to introduce the really simple extra parts like the canon-engines and the indestructible plating just in time for round 3.

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 17, 2013

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

cougar cub posted:

Catan says it's for 3-4 players not 2...

Correct - Settlers cannot be played two-player. Use it as a gateway drug for other new players, though.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Mundus Novus is a game about amassing and trading resources, can be played with 2 (and I think up to 7), and is extremely simple; It's basically rummy with some fancy rules. It also has gorgeous components and is cheap as heck on Amazon, so maybe check that out. It is played entirely with cards though, which I've found makes some newer players scared for some reason.

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004

Pimpmust posted:

are there any other good family friendly co-opish games out there that you would recommend for people with little patience for massive rule-sets and such?

Thinking of not-too-rules-heavy semi-short family-friendly games, with co-op as a secondary feature:

Forbidden Island is a co-op game for 2 to 4 players. BGG says it plays best with 4. It's cheap, fun, and relatively low key -- you can manage the difficulty at start, so as you get better you can ramp the challenge up. You cooperate to grab treasure and get off an island before it sinks into the ocean.

Bohnanza is a competitive trading and collecting game that requires significant interaction between the players. You kind of have to trade, so while it's not cooperative it's not a bunch of simultaneous solitaire games either. It's a bit funky at first and the theme is odd (bean farming) but if your people are card players the overall idea will catch on fairly quickly. It works better with larger groups -- I would never play it with just two players though it's technically supported.

I've heard good things about Castle Panic a competitive co-op game where you use cards to play a tower-defense game against a common enemy. I haven't played it (yet).

To Court the King is out of print but is basically Yahtzee with a mechanic for collecting roles which you can use to modify your roll, add to your dice pool, etc. First person to become king wins. I had a blast with this the one time I played it, and have seriously considered just printing out a card set to introduce some friends to it. It's strictly competitive.

Ticket to ride is strictly competitive but has not-too-complex rule set which makes it easy to teach.

I just picked up Dixit to try with family and friends who are more traditional game people. I hear good things.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Pimpmust posted:

I've been eying Seven Wonders or Memoir 44 for awhile but are there any other good family friendly co-opish games out there that you would recommend for people with little patience for massive rule-sets and such? Anything more than 90 minutes playtime is probably pushing it too.

Seven Wonders doesn't really have a co-OP element (although I haven't played the expansions and apparently one of them adds team play?) but due to everyone taking simultaneous turns the great part is it ALWAYS takes the same amount of time to play, whether you have 2 players or you have 7, and scales excellently for any size group in between. It's one of a few games that I have access to that I KNOW isn't gonna take much more than 30 minutes, and I love it for that.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

goferchan posted:

Seven Wonders doesn't really have a co-OP element (although I haven't played the expansions and apparently one of them adds team play?) but due to everyone taking simultaneous turns the great part is it ALWAYS takes the same amount of time to play, whether you have 2 players or you have 7, and scales excellently for any size group in between. It's one of a few games that I have access to that I KNOW isn't gonna take much more than 30 minutes, and I love it for that.
If you like the idea of building space stations better than wonders, you can always go with the Among the Stars too. The games are quite similar otherwise.

Teh Madd Hatter
May 26, 2008

Countblanc posted:

Mundus Novus is a game about amassing and trading resources, can be played with 2 (and I think up to 7), and is extremely simple; It's basically rummy with some fancy rules. It also has gorgeous components and is cheap as heck on Amazon, so maybe check that out. It is played entirely with cards though, which I've found makes some newer players scared for some reason.

Seconding Mundus Novus here, it can be a bit difficult getting over some of the symbols, but it's not a terribly difficult time. Played a game on Friday where it came down to me almost winning by points and someone getting the perfect combination at just the last moment.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I got to try out the new stuff for Sentinels of the Multiverse:Shattered Timelines yesterday. I really like the new promos and expansions.

The first game was against Miss Information in The Block. The heroes were The Scholar (me), Chrono Ranger (goon ElegantFugue), Omnitron-X, and Nightmist. I really like Miss Information's gimmick. Her "minions" are staged events like "Cat" stuck in a tree. She starts play with one and can't be attacked until 3 clue cards come into play. Clues do damage and buff MI and once she flips, they are trashed to do damage to the heroes. Really fun and dynamic. The Block didn't really get to show off the Agent/Inmate interaction much, but I could see it being fun.

The Scholar is amazingly fun to play. He's got very little direct offense, but can heal himself really well. His main method of offense is his elemental form cards, mostly Mortal Form to Energy, which does damage whenever he recovers health. I wound up with all 3 forms on the table, recovering a ton of health and chipping away at MI. Was a lot of fun.

Chrono Ranger was definitely interesting. The Bounty cards are a cool mechanic for focusing stuff down and he seems like he'd benefit a lot from buffs due to the multiple-hit abilities he has. Omnitron-X was really neat, he's got an ability to shift 'platings' around to give him different resistances and can use them to redirect damage or go on offense. He operates a bit like Bunker, but doesn't have to trash cards when he changes platings and loses some of his equipment when he takes damage.

The second game was against Iron Legacy in the Time Cataclysm. The team was Tachyon (the new Freedom Six promo, me), Argent Adept (ElegantFugue), Ra, and Unity. Iron Legacy is a stone-cold motherfucker. He starts with one buff in play per player and goddamn do they synergize. He had +2 to damage and an effect that did damage the first time you played a card each turn. So he opens up by punching all of us in the face for 5 damage (he does 3 melee to everyone at the end of his turn), then doing 4 more every time we tried to do something.

This is another one where the Environment didn't do much because Iron Legacy is in your face from second one. I don't think any other villain is like this, you just get pounded on immediately. Once he flips, IL becomes a lot more manageable as he tries to murder the weakest hero and heal himself instead of hurting everyone. Unity was nice for this, since her golems took a lot of that damage. I wound up getting knocked out by the card-playing damage as I helped chip his health down for Ra to finish him off. It was really tense the whole fight and we didn't think we could win until the very end. Kudos to Greater Than Games for Iron Legacy's design. It's fantastic. His Advanced mode (his damage is irreducible) is terrifying, though.

Shattered Timelines is an AWESOME expansion and the new promos are a lot of fun. The villains are really cool and the new heroes have solid, interesting mechanics.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

What's his SA username?

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Lampsacus posted:

What's his SA username?

I'd be surprised if Vasel's a goon!

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Tann posted:

I'd be surprised if Vasel's a goon!

He's a very religious man, a missionary and priest, at least for a while, who looks upon griefing and assorted other internet silliness with horror.

There is no way in hell that Vasel is a goon.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

FLGS has both expansions for Twilight Imperium and are holding them for me. I'll be getting the core game from Amazon and scheduling a day to get it played after PAX.

I just played this game yesterday so you want to get used to setting it up with a couple of test runs. it took an hour for an experienced player to set everyone and all the optional stuff up.

in thought you were suggesting to playing it at pax and I was going to pipe in with a "hell no ".

also beginning to not like games that don't end firmly. small world rocks because it will end in 10 turns and no one if ever out because you just choose a new race

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Would anybody be interested in a live game of Republic of Rome over Vassal?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I would.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

EVIR Gibson posted:

I just played this game yesterday so you want to get used to setting it up with a couple of test runs. it took an hour for an experienced player to set everyone and all the optional stuff up.

in thought you were suggesting to playing it at pax and I was going to pipe in with a "hell no ".

also beginning to not like games that don't end firmly. small world rocks because it will end in 10 turns and no one if ever out because you just choose a new race

A good idea is to actually snag all the planets/planet cards ahead of time with everything setup so that the galaxy generation can start right away. Ask the players who they'll be before the get together even begins so that you can be ready to roll asap.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhrGSbcZuV4

That are the opinions on The Cave?

It looks rather fun in this walkthrough, I wonder how are the others' experiences on it are.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Panzeh posted:

I was just telling a friend today that I wanted to give this game a try.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Panzeh posted:

Yes, just depends on the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Bought Eclipse yesterday. Two plays later (both 2er) and I'm completely hooked. Goddamn I want to play this with 6 people.

• Locked thread