Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Geirskogul posted:

It doesn't matter if the speed limit of the road is 35 and you're going 90 - if somebody comes up on you doing 95, you move to the right and let them pass, even if you have to slow down/speed up to match traffic.

gently caress no. If there's no space to move over to the right because I'm moving faster than the people in that lane, I ain't going anywhere. I am going to complete my pass and get over when I deem it safe to do so.

quote:

If someone passes you on the right, you've done something wrong, because there should be no space to the right of you for them to pass unless you're cruising in the left lane.

That's some nice victim-blaming right there. I don't get back over to the right until I have established a safe following distance to the car I'm pulling in front of. This does in fact leave just enough space for utter shitheads to pass on the right. I love how they get really pissed when I move over to the right about half a second later than they were trying to force me to do, right in the middle of their shithead pass on the right. Any passing on the right is 100% on the shithead doing the passing. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

gently caress no. If there's no space to move over to the right because I'm moving faster than the people in that lane, I ain't going anywhere. I am going to complete my pass and get over when I deem it safe to do so.

That's some nice victim-blaming right there. I don't get back over to the right until I have established a safe following distance to the car I'm pulling in front of. This does in fact leave just enough space for utter shitheads to pass on the right. I love how they get really pissed when I move over to the right about half a second later than they were trying to force me to do, right in the middle of their shithead pass on the right. Any passing on the right is 100% on the shithead doing the passing. Two wrongs don't make a right.

:golfclap:

I was going to respond with something like this but with how far out there it was I wasn't sure if it was a troll or not.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

KozmoNaut posted:

Amen. I just love it when a tractor-trailer is passing and just when there is enough space for a car to fit between its back and the front of the other truck it was passing for a car to fit, a leak springs and a bunch of cars start trying to pass in the right lane, keeping him from being able to get back over again, and the whole works get cocked up and causes everyone to wait even longer.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

Any passing on the right is 100% on the shithead doing the passing. Two wrongs don't make a right.

In your situation sure. I always give people time to get over, especially big rigs, but if some is on an otherwise empty road and is just chilling in the left lane doing 5 under then gently caress them I'm passing on the right.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Galler posted:

In your situation sure. I always give people time to get over, especially big rigs, but if some is on an otherwise empty road and is just chilling in the left lane doing 5 under then gently caress them I'm passing on the right.

Well yeah, just don't blame the guy chilling in the left lane for "making" you pass on the right. If a cop sees it, you'll get the bigger fine.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

KozmoNaut posted:

Well yeah, just don't blame the guy chilling in the left lane for "making" you pass on the right. If a cop sees it, you'll get the bigger fine.

No. Passing on the right is not illegal. Obstructing the left lane is.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

bull3964 posted:

No. Passing on the right is not illegal. Obstructing the left lane is.

That depends a hell of a lot on where you are. In most of the world, passing on the right is illegal. Around here, it'll cost you 1 point on your license and a ~$350 fine. 3 points and you have to retake both the written and the practical driving tests. Obstructing the left lane is a ~$175 fine, no points.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

KozmoNaut posted:

That depends a hell of a lot on where you are. In most of the world, passing on the right is illegal. Around here, it'll cost you 1 point on your license and a ~$350 fine. 3 points and you have to retake both the written and the practical driving tests. Obstructing the left lane is a ~$175 fine, no points.

We are talking about the US here though and passing on the right on a highway is not illegal in any state that I know. Obstructing traffic in the left lane is though (in most states).

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
In my province you can pass on either the left or the right and obstructing the left lane is not illegal.

There are signs that say "slow moving vehicles move right" but there's no law attached to it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

bull3964 posted:

We are talking about the US here though and passing on the right on a highway is not illegal in any state that I know. Obstructing traffic in the left lane is though (in most states).

The tricky thing is getting a cop to decide that driving +/- 5MPH of the limit in the left lane is obstructing, even if normal flow in the left lane is 15 over.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

bull3964 posted:

Then I'm stumped, what is the problem? If you can overtake on the right legally, I don't see why people get so upset about slower drivers in the left lane. It's illegal to obstruct traffic, but if you can just pass on the right, is there really a problem?

E: vvvv Perish the thought! :monocle: Imagine actually having to *GASP* obey the speed limit. The horror!

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 18, 2013

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

KozmoNaut posted:

Then I'm stumped, what is the problem? If you can overtake on the right legally, I don't see why people get so upset about slower drivers in the left lane. It's illegal to obstruct traffic, but if you can just pass on the right, is there really a problem?

Many highways are two lanes in either direction. Being in the right lane means you have to let others merge. It's not usually a problem, but we're talking about people bitching because someone in the PASSING LANE was likely at, or near the speed limit. :jerkbag:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

Because when people are camped out in the left lane they are usually matching the speed of traffic in the right lane, making it so you can't pass in either lane.

I will and do pass people on the right (since it is legal here, but left-lane obstructing is illegal) otherwise I'd be stuck behind people all the time, but it is inherently less safe than passing on the left. Outside the major metro area, all the interstates and freeways are marked with many signs saying "Slower traffic keep right" and "Keep right except to pass" and it'd just be better for everyone and better for traffic flow if people would follow that rule. It's absolutely retarded when 2 or 3 mouthbreathers are bottlenecking an otherwise totally open freeway because they are all going the same speed +/- 1mph in all the lanes right next to each other. The phenomenon of traffic clustering is mind boggling. Miles of open freeway ahead and behind a pack of 20+ cars all stuck together because no one can/will pass.

Incidentally, there is also a WA state law that says it is illegal to be causing a delay of 5 or more vehicles behind you (either move right, or on a one-lane you must pull over when safe), but that is just another one of those unfortunately rarely-enforced laws, along with no vehicles with trailers in the left lane on the interstate.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 18, 2013

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I finally fixed my brakes on the Taurus by readjusting the drums again. Feels good not having stutter issues when braking.

I also fixed the small miss I had by running seafoam through the fuel lines. Must have been a gunky valve.

Also did a transmission flush at the 50000 mile interval exactly. The ax4s has 152000 miles on it and still shifts fine. Regular flushes seem to work wonders. :getin:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Guinness posted:

Because when people are camped out in the left lane they are usually matching the speed of traffic in the right lane, making it so you can't pass in either lane.

Well yeah, obviously those people are definitely obstructing traffic.

My point is that people in the left lane aren't a problem in and of themselves if you can pass on the right. They only become a problem if there's a certain amount of other traffic on the road.

Either way, I think we should move this to the misc. chat thread if we want to continue, before IOC begins swinging the ban hammer. I'm fine with leaving it altogether, though :)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Lightbulb Out posted:

I got mine out and drove it for the first time since October.

Feels good, man.

I did a double take when you posted this because ACEofsnett's e30 looks drat near exactly like yours and has been in storage for the winter.

Today? I did nothing to it... yet. Yesterday? Drove around in the woods, drove around on pavement, got the wheels off the ground. Saturday? Got it stuck in the mud while trying to get a UTV unstuck from the mud, then unstuck myself. This is why I hate mud.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

IOwnCalculus posted:

The tricky thing is getting a cop to decide that driving +/- 5MPH of the limit in the left lane is obstructing, even if normal flow in the left lane is 15 over.

Again though, depends on state.

In VA, for example, the speed limit doesn't even enter into it. EVEN if both people are speeding, it's illegal for the slower person to not move out of the way for the faster person.

So, a cop could pull both people over, charge them both with speeding, and then slap an additional charge on the slower of the two for obstructing traffic.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Got the brakes bled with the wife's help success_kid.jpg

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

kastein posted:

I did a double take when you posted this because ACEofsnett's e30 looks drat near exactly like yours and has been in storage for the winter.

I stole it and put in a 6 cylinder :getin:

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
Threw a set of cheapie 6x9s in the GTP. I was still rocking the factory speakers in the back, the last vestige of the stock stereo left to be replaced. They sound pretty drat good for $50 speakers.

Besides having to rip the back seat out to install them and whittling away 1/8" of plastic from the dumb frames it was pretty painless.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Rotated my tyres and began the process of ordering a new clutch master cylinder, new struts and shocks, and potentially new axles.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I live on the border of Oklahoma and Arkansas. :banjo: For all the poo poo we like to talk about OK, there are a couple of things they get right. In my opinion one of those is the language on their signage:

AR: Slower traffic keep right
OK: Keep right except to pass

AR: Bride may ice in cold weather
OK: Bridge ices before road

Edit: (Holy poo poo. Sorry to continue this derail. :eek:)

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

Previa_fun posted:

I live on the border of Oklahoma and Arkansas. :banjo: For all the poo poo we like to talk about OK, there are a couple of things they get right. In my opinion one of those is the language on their signage:

AR: Slower traffic keep right
OK: Keep right except to pass

AR: Bride may ice in cold weather
OK: Bridge ices before road

Edit: (Holy poo poo. Sorry to continue this derail. :eek:)

Also, we can get a stop sign to stand upright with only one pole :D

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Bought new sparkplugs, ordered new ZZP axles, and I'm trying to figure out how much it'd cost to modify the OEM master cylinder with an adjustable rod compared to blowing $150 for a $50 OEM.

Adjustable/stronger ZZP:

OEM:

It looks like they just did this with poo poo from Home Depot for an extra $100.

I wonder if a machine shop could do something similar for me for not $100

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Or you could just, y'know, not cheap out on literally the most important safety system on your car (well, aside from the e-brake, anyway) and get the OE part.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Fucknag posted:

Or you could just, y'know, not cheap out on literally the most important safety system on your car (well, aside from the e-brake, anyway) and get the OE part.

The OEM Clutch Master cylinder is the flimsier one.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Tusen Takk posted:

The OEM Clutch Master cylinder is the flimsier one.

It appears that the fancy-pants "performance" part may actually not be stronger, and may be weaker. The fancy one has a nice thin bit right before the plunger which limits the strength of the shaft to less than the OE part, assuming similar materials. The adjustable section in the middle places the stresses on a few turns of what looks like a lovely turnbuckle's threads. What do you need an adjustable master cylinder for anyway? Get adjustable pedals and don't gently caress with your brakes like this.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Treated the Range Rover with go fast gas and it thanked me with blowing an oil cooler O ring and puking oil everywhere.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

EightBit posted:

It appears that the fancy-pants "performance" part may actually not be stronger, and may be weaker. The fancy one has a nice thin bit right before the plunger which limits the strength of the shaft to less than the OE part, assuming similar materials. The adjustable section in the middle places the stresses on a few turns of what looks like a lovely turnbuckle's threads. What do you need an adjustable master cylinder for anyway? Get adjustable pedals and don't gently caress with your brakes like this.

I'm not messing around with the brakes though, this is the clutch master cylinder. Mine is leaking (or the rear calipers are leaking, either way, the car is parked for now) probably and only engages at the very end when it's almost through the firewall, if you will. I was looking at this because I have a stage II clutch that was installed by the PO, and according to ZZP's description of their "upgraded" CMC,

quote:

When upgrading to heavier pressure plates, the factory rod can bend, as shown in the picture. Even when it doesn't bend, pedal position can drop and full disengagement of the clutch can be problematic making higher rpm shifts slow or impossible. We learned this the hard way on many of our high HP builds.

The non adjustable factory unit does not allow changing engagement location for the clutch pedal which changes with high pressure clutches. This causes shifting problems that usually end in transmission failure.

Just trying to make sure I don't have to do this again :v: Oh, here's a picture of the ZZP rod

edit: yes I understand that the CMC and the brakes share the hydraulic system.

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Mar 20, 2013

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Got around to changing the oil (all 11 litres of it) and filter on the engine, and while I was under it found a weeping axle seal and both my drivers CV boots have been throwing grease.

Sigh...

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

cursedshitbox posted:

Treated the Range Rover with go fast gas and it thanked me with blowing an oil cooler O ring and puking oil everywhere.
That was its way of punishing you for paying almost twice as much for gas for no reason (unless you have some monster turbo Range Rover or something, in which case, link please!)

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Tusen Takk posted:

I'm not messing around with the brakes though, this is the clutch master cylinder. Mine is leaking (or the rear calipers are leaking, either way, the car is parked for now) probably and only engages at the very end when it's almost through the firewall, if you will. I was looking at this because I have a stage II clutch that was installed by the PO, and according to ZZP's description of their "upgraded" CMC,

Just trying to make sure I don't have to do this again :v: Oh, here's a picture of the ZZP rod

edit: yes I understand that the CMC and the brakes share the hydraulic system.

If you don't have clutch disengagement problems now, then why gently caress with it?

Also, I can't resolve that domain, it's like it doesn't exist in any DNS I can query. Edit: Guess I flushed the DNS cache enough. :siren:They won't warranty their mod to the OE part so, don't buy it.:siren:

cursedshitbox posted:

If you don't have the crazy compression ratio or boost to require 100 octane gas, there's no "go fast" to it. Common misattribution.

EightBit fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Mar 20, 2013

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

EightBit posted:

If you don't have clutch disengagement problems now, then why gently caress with it?

I am, that's what lead me to investigate and find that the hydraulic system is leaking at either the calipers or the CMC...

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Tusen Takk posted:

This is the embodiment of a TT post.

TT, if you don't see the issue immediately: you're talking about upgrading the "performance" of the clutch master cylinder, yet you don't know if you have a leak at the clutch or the rear caliper. The clutch is in the front of your car, the rear calipers, well, they are in the back. There cannot be an easier, more obvious troubleshooting procedure than that.

Any experience would tell you to find whether the wet spot is from the front pointy side of the car or the rear pushy side of the car, before you look for :rice: parts to "fix" it.

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

Tusen Takk posted:

I know of a guy that tracks his super sexy Typhoon, fwiw.

Jesus, I wouldn't have thought those things understeer so badly.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
So that funny plastic thing is a clutch master cylinder? They make them from plastic? I don't like that.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

meatpimp posted:

TT, if you don't see the issue immediately: you're talking about upgrading the "performance" of the clutch master cylinder, yet you don't know if you have a leak at the clutch or the rear caliper. The clutch is in the front of your car, the rear calipers, well, they are in the back. There cannot be an easier, more obvious troubleshooting procedure than that.

perhaps he's basing this on the fact that the brake fluid keeps dropping? The brakes and clutch both share a common reservoir on his car. Also, internal clutch slave.

Though I got nothin on how you could miss brake fluid from calipers...

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

some texas redneck posted:

This. But on to my ride:

Finally got the pulley bearing noises gone in the Deville by replacing water pump and tensioner. Now it's quiet enough to allow the serpentine idler and tensioner pulley bearing noises to show. Time for the str suicide smilie.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

some texas redneck posted:

perhaps he's basing this on the fact that the brake fluid keeps dropping? The brakes and clutch both share a common reservoir on his car. Also, internal clutch slave.

Ah, I should note that I have no fluid pooling up anywhere, the rear half of my reservoir would get low and the front would remain where it should, and I've already replaced the rear caliper on the drive side and the other appears to be new. I can pretty safely rule out the rear calipers as being the cause which leaves either rotting brake lines, leaking slave/TOB, and for sure a new clutch master cylinder since it flops up and down for half an inch before beginning to work on the hydraulics. It also sounds like a spritz bottle pump when you press it.

When it gets drier and a little warmer I'll sort it, its 20*F in the sun right now :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Tusen Takk posted:

Ah, I should note that I have no fluid pooling up anywhere, the rear half of my reservoir would get low and the front would remain where it should, and I've already replaced the rear caliper on the drive side and the other appears to be new. I can pretty safely rule out the rear calipers as being the cause which leaves either rotting brake lines, leaking slave/TOB, and for sure a new clutch master cylinder since it flops up and down for half an inch before beginning to work on the hydraulics. It also sounds like a spritz bottle pump when you press it.

When it gets drier and a little warmer I'll sort it, its 20*F in the sun right now :(

Have you considered possibly bleeding your clutch?