Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

will_colorado posted:

Yes, just depends on the time.

Which time zone are you in? I know Tekopo is in Britain, and i'm EST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Panzeh posted:

Which time zone are you in? I know Tekopo is in Britain, and i'm EST.

Mountain.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
I'd probably be interested (Central time)

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman
On an upcoming NPC Cast we will be talking with Jerry Hawthorne, the designer of Mice and Mystics, does anybody have anything they would like me to ask him?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Do Environment cards with life stay in play indefinitely in Sentinels of the Multiverse? We got the derailed monotrail card that does 5 damage to 2 targets, and I assumed it just does it once and is then gone since, y'know, trains usually only derail once, but I really have no idea.

shadowobsessed
Jul 1, 2010

No worms on the bed!
Just wanted to say thanks for the suggestions some folks gave me here three months ago! I just bought Galaxy Trucker yesterday (the Anniversary Edition :D), and I tried it out for the first time tonight and loved it! It was a total gamble buying this expensive version, but now I'm really excited to play more as well as try out the new expansions. I haven't been this satisfied with a game purchase for a while.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Countblanc posted:

Do Environment cards with life stay in play indefinitely in Sentinels of the Multiverse? We got the derailed monotrail card that does 5 damage to 2 targets, and I assumed it just does it once and is then gone since, y'know, trains usually only derail once, but I really have no idea.

Every card that isn't a one-shot stays in play until something destroys it, and environment cards are never one-shots. In the case of Plummeting Monorail, it is a target with 10 HP and is destroyed when that HP drops to 0. (Thematically, more and more cars fall each round.)

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Every card that isn't a one-shot stays in play until something destroys it, and environment cards are never one-shots. In the case of Plummeting Monorail, it is a target with 10 HP and is destroyed when that HP drops to 0. (Thematically, more and more cars fall each round.)
When I looked at that card, I imagined that it is a damaged train that is constantly under the threat of derailing and heroes were getting hurt while trying to save it.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

First Time Caller posted:

Bought Eclipse yesterday. Two plays later (both 2er) and I'm completely hooked. Goddamn I want to play this with 6 people.

It's a bloody great game. I've played it 6 player and 4 player and it really is such an elegant design.

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."

EVIR Gibson posted:

I just played this game yesterday so you want to get used to setting it up with a couple of test runs. it took an hour for an experienced player to set everyone and all the optional stuff up.

A good suggestion, I do plan on a couple test solo games to try race selection systems and learn the mechanics well enough to teach them to others.

EVIR Gibson posted:

in thought you were suggesting to playing it at pax and I was going to pipe in with a "hell no ".

Yeah this was a dumb idea. If I get the time to unwind in Tabletop at PAX it'll probably be over something like Race For the Galaxy or a game I know like Smallworld.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

A good suggestion, I do plan on a couple test solo games to try race selection systems and learn the mechanics well enough to teach them to others.

Yeah this was a dumb idea. If I get the time to unwind in Tabletop at PAX it'll probably be over something like Race For the Galaxy or a game I know like Smallworld.

Myself and Snowdog will be doing some boardgaming at PAX this weekend. I am going to try to cram Chaos in the Old World as much as possible so I can put it in my backpack.

The mechanic I love the best with it is that there are two multiple win conditions: VPs or advancing your god's dial to "win game". You advance the dial for doing what your god does best: Khorne kills people, Slaneesh corrupts nobles, Tzeentch casts spells, and Nurgle just coughs on everybody.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Sarx posted:

On an upcoming NPC Cast we will be talking with Jerry Hawthorne, the designer of Mice and Mystics, does anybody have anything they would like me to ask him?

Q1: At the time Mice and Mystics came out, Plaid Hat Games were mainly known as the Summoner Wars (Card Game) people. Did you have any doubts they could pull off such great production values as a young company?

Q2: What are some inspirations beyond the obvious similarities to Mouseguard? Both storywise and mechanicwise?

Q3: How did early prototypes differ from the final product? Was it always envisioned as a streamlined ruleset?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Republic of Rome peeps(I don't want to do it with anything less than 4):

What days would you be available? I can be available most nights except early Thursday evening and Friday night.

I would think we would have to start sometime around 8pm EST to catch everyone during the evening.

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."

EVIR Gibson posted:

Myself and Snowdog will be doing some boardgaming at PAX this weekend. I am going to try to cram Chaos in the Old World as much as possible so I can put it in my backpack.

The mechanic I love the best with it is that there are two multiple win conditions: VPs or advancing your god's dial to "win game". You advance the dial for doing what your god does best: Khorne kills people, Slaneesh corrupts nobles, Tzeentch casts spells, and Nurgle just coughs on everybody.

I will seek you out. My Enforcer schedule has not been 100% nailed down yet but I will hopefully know more by tomorrow night.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
Switchblade Switcharoo

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

I will seek you out. My Enforcer schedule has not been 100% nailed down yet but I will hopefully know more by tomorrow night.

I salute you for being an enforcer. Going to PAX for free is not enough, imo, for the help you all offer to the convention.

Being able to walk around the latest and greatest video games after the general public has been kicked out is a great bonus though, but I would assume all you would want is to go back to the hotel and sleep :)

I might make a GroupMe group for us to make for arranging a game easier.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

EVIR Gibson posted:

Technically correct, but in practice, without the expansion, only Slaanesh and Tzeentch are capable of winning by either means.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Some Numbers posted:

Technically correct, but in practice, without the expansion, only Slaanesh and Tzeentch are capable of winning by either means.

Want to expand upon this? Are we talking that the game will be either a Slaanesh/Tzeentch win if all the players have played for a long while?

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

EVIR Gibson posted:

Want to expand upon this? Are we talking that the game will be either a Slaanesh/Tzeentch win if all the players have played for a long while?

No, just that Khorn can't win by points and Nurgle can't win by clicks.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Poopy Palpy posted:

No, just that Khorn can't win by points and Nurgle can't win by clicks.

Oh okay. I'm fine with that because they do so well at their favorite method of winning.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Yeah, what Poopy Palpy said. Khorne has a lot of trouble winning by VP because dogpiling into a region is counterproductive and he's unlikely to have majority of corruption when a region ruins. However, because he can collect a ton of advancement tokens, he can easily double tick multiple times per game, making his 9 tick dial a lot more doable.

Nurgle has the longest dial (10 ticks) and is almost incapable of double ticking, because he only has six Cultists and his tick locations are along the middle. However, because he will be piling into the Populous regions (which are worth a ton of VP on ruining) and because Provender of Ruin is a thing, he has no trouble making the 50 VP necessary to win.

Slaanesh's dial is 7 ticks. As long as he ticks once every turn, he has a shot of winning on the last turn. If he double ticks even once, he has a real shot of running away with the game. In addition, since Slaanesh cares about Nobles, he'll be piling into those regions and dominating them, scoring racks of VP that way and eventually (probably) scoring a bunch when it ruins.

Tzeentch's dial is 8 ticks, which means he needs to double tick at least once to win. However, with the number of Warpstones that start and come up from Old World cards, the number of Magic symbols on his cards and the sheer number of Cultists he has (eight), this is not a huge problem. He can also team up with Nurgle or Slaanesh to ruin a region and score a bunch of VP that way, made easier because each Warpstone counts as corruption for ruining. Domination is not a thing to focus on, but it will happen.

Bottom line: Khorne wins by dial, Nurgle wins by VP. Slaanesh and Tzeentch can win by either.

Drighton
Nov 30, 2005

My brother and I bought Netrunner since our regular crew couldn't make it this weekend, and after some confusion and one YouTube tutorial later we were hooked.

I played the corporation and my brother the runner and we got about three games in before we got the hang of things. The only disappointing bits are how quickly the game can end, if the corp manages to kill the runners hand in one blow, and that the length of the game depends entirely on how aggressive the runner is at making runs. It also appears that allowing the game to go long means each run becomes increasingly expensive for both players.

Having played Decipher's Star Wars CCG back in the day, I wanted to avoid card games since they were so expensive. Also, knowing the group's affinity for CCG's, I didn't want a card game to dominate the table every game night. I don't quite get why they're called "Living" Card Games now, but I like the new approach they have. And being a two-player game is both a pro and con, since that will force us to break out the 3-4 player games.

Anyway, I see us buying the expansions.

We also attempted and abandoned a second game of Civilization. The two others were having trouble with all the rules and were just disinterested overall. So we're planning to tackle it next week with a third. We're kind of using it as a benchmark for the heavier games, so if we grow accustomed to Civ then we know we can handle others.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Drighton posted:

I don't quite get why they're called "Living" Card Games now, but I like the new approach they have.

It's to distinguish from the other "card release" formats that exist. You've got CCG, which typically does random boosters, and "fixed" games, with a non-expanding pool or done in sporadic expansions with no randomness.

LCGs are pretty much exclusively a FFG thing - you get an expansion every month or so for $15 with 3 copies of each card in every pack. It's the bridge between the two extremes, so you get new content on a regular basis and you know how much you'll be paying and what you're getting.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
So if I buy one copy of Netrunner I can play with my friend who's also never played it before, right? I guess the two players use completely different cards, from what I understand, so as long as we're willing to deal with the hassle of rebuilding our decks each time we switch roles there won't be any competition for cards right?

Drighton
Nov 30, 2005

Crackbone posted:

It's the bridge between the two extremes, so you get new content on a regular basis and you know how much you'll be paying and what you're getting.

I got that. I meant, why the word "living"? I read about the concept here without knowing the abbreviation and assumed it meant Low-Cost Game. When I looked it up I wasn't sold on the explanation, so it's just a weird name.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Some Numbers posted:

Yeah, what Poopy Palpy said. Khorne has a lot of trouble winning by VP because dogpiling into a region is counterproductive and he's unlikely to have majority of corruption when a region ruins. However, because he can collect a ton of advancement tokens, he can easily double tick multiple times per game, making his 9 tick dial a lot more doable.

Nurgle has the longest dial (10 ticks) and is almost incapable of double ticking, because he only has six Cultists and his tick locations are along the middle. However, because he will be piling into the Populous regions (which are worth a ton of VP on ruining) and because Provender of Ruin is a thing, he has no trouble making the 50 VP necessary to win.

Slaanesh's dial is 7 ticks. As long as he ticks once every turn, he has a shot of winning on the last turn. If he double ticks even once, he has a real shot of running away with the game. In addition, since Slaanesh cares about Nobles, he'll be piling into those regions and dominating them, scoring racks of VP that way and eventually (probably) scoring a bunch when it ruins.

Tzeentch's dial is 8 ticks, which means he needs to double tick at least once to win. However, with the number of Warpstones that start and come up from Old World cards, the number of Magic symbols on his cards and the sheer number of Cultists he has (eight), this is not a huge problem. He can also team up with Nurgle or Slaanesh to ruin a region and score a bunch of VP that way, made easier because each Warpstone counts as corruption for ruining. Domination is not a thing to focus on, but it will happen.

Bottom line: Khorne wins by dial, Nurgle wins by VP. Slaanesh and Tzeentch can win by either.

It's funny because the first time we played it, we were durdling around trying to figure things out when Khorne won by VP.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

goferchan posted:

So if I buy one copy of Netrunner I can play with my friend who's also never played it before, right? I guess the two players use completely different cards, from what I understand, so as long as we're willing to deal with the hassle of rebuilding our decks each time we switch roles there won't be any competition for cards right?

Correct. Strictly speaking there's no reason you have to rebuild decks either, you could simply swap roles, which is probably a better test of skill anyway.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Drighton posted:

I played the corporation and my brother the runner and we got about three games in before we got the hang of things. The only disappointing bits are how quickly the game can end, if the corp manages to kill the runners hand in one blow, and that the length of the game depends entirely on how aggressive the runner is at making runs. It also appears that allowing the game to go long means each run becomes increasingly expensive for both players.

I have good news for you - none of these things are true!

The starting Shaper vs. Jinteki matchup is a really weird one. In practice, with experienced players, runners will almost never flatline off of Project Junebug or Snare!. It's easy to plan your draws so you can avoid flatlines. The value of those trap cards is in making the runner cautious, not killing them outright.

The length of the game doesn't depend entirely on how aggressive the runner is - a fast advance deck archetype really allows the corp to set the tempo. Since the corp is forced to draw every turn, they also need to deal with the pressure of agendas building in their hand.

And allowing the game to go long makes each run increasingly more expensive for the runner, but not the corp. You guys do understand that once ICE is rezzed it stays rezzed, right? You don't need to pay to re-rez it every single run.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

goferchan posted:

Correct, a Netrunner core set is capable of building 1 of 4 corp starter decks and 1 of 3 runner starter decks at a time. Runners and Corps use completely different card pools, with different colored backs.

Drighton
Nov 30, 2005

General Battuta posted:

The length of the game doesn't depend entirely on how aggressive the runner is - a fast advance deck archetype really allows the corp to set the tempo. Since the corp is forced to draw every turn, they also need to deal with the pressure of agendas building in their hand.

And allowing the game to go long makes each run increasingly more expensive for the runner, but not the corp. You guys do understand that once ICE is rezzed it stays rezzed, right? You don't need to pay to re-rez it every single run.
Cool!

So is the runner's hand limited like the corp's?

I guess I need to look into this fast advance deck. But either way, if the runner isn't making runs then Corp can't tag or cause damage. Meanwhile Corp is continually drawing cards, and at some point R&D is going to run out. It just seems like Corp is on a timer that the runner can just wait out. Maybe I'm missing some rules for the runner that ill pick up when I play that side.

Also, we weren't derezzing ICE, but I was getting very little money and couldn't keep enough to rez and advance cards and install more ICE. I was leaving a lot of ICE derezzed for the surprise aspect, since it seemed counterproductive to show the runner what ICE to expect on a run.

And on a different topic, would buying a game advertised as NiB from eBay a good idea or is there some kind of black market I should be aware of where people sell counterfeit games with inkjet printed pieces or something?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Drighton posted:

And on a different topic, would buying a game advertised as NiB from eBay a good idea or is there some kind of black market I should be aware of where people sell counterfeit games with inkjet printed pieces or something?

I don't know of anybody counterfeiting board games, but generally I've yet to see a deal on ebay that somebody like CoolStuffInc or Miniaturemarket can't beat (assuming you're in the US).

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Drighton posted:

Cool!

I guess I need to look into this fast advance deck. But either way, if the runner isn't making runs then Corp can't tag or cause damage. Meanwhile Corp is continually drawing cards, and at some point R&D is going to run out. It just seems like Corp is on a timer that the runner can just wait out. Maybe I'm missing some rules for the runner that ill pick up when I play that side.

Also, we weren't derezzing ICE, but I was getting very little money and couldn't keep enough to rez and advance cards and install more ICE. I was leaving a lot of ICE derezzed for the surprise aspect, since it seemed counterproductive to show the runner what ICE to expect on a run.

The runner's hand is limited to 5, just like the corp. That only checks at the end of a player's turn though - you can fill up your hand to protect yourself from possible damage on a run - you just need to discard down to 5 at the end of your turn.

There's also a card that raises your hand size.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Drighton posted:

Cool!

Yes, also capped at five. But this limit is only imposed at the end of turns - you can overdraw mid turn if you want to survive a three counter Junebug.

quote:

Tagging or causing damage are totally secondary victory mechanics for the corporation. It seems like you're missing a very important rule for the corp, not the runner: the corporation immediately wins the game when they've scored seven points worth of agendas.

quote:

The starter Jinteki deck has AWFUL economy.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Still looking for a second game (already got Ticket to Ride) and now a game opportunity has showed up in the weekend with some buddies of more even age.

So, thinking of getting some sort of... zombie game? Maybe. Any good ones out there? I vaguely remember a discussion some 2000 posts back but didn't pick out any recommendation.

These people aren't hardcore gamers (and neither am I) so it doesn't have to be competitive perfect or anything, but preferably fun for 4-5 players.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Pimpmust posted:

Still looking for a second game (already got Ticket to Ride) and now a game opportunity has showed up in the weekend with some buddies of more even age.

So, thinking of getting some sort of... zombie game? Maybe. Any good ones out there? I vaguely remember a discussion some 2000 posts back but didn't pick out any recommendation.

These people aren't hardcore gamers (and neither am I) so it doesn't have to be competitive perfect or anything, but preferably fun for 4-5 players.

Most people here would say there isn't. That being said, if you must go Zombie game, avoid Zombies!!! like the loving plague, it's horrible. From there, the two biggies are Last Night on Earth and Zombicide. Both are alright but firmly Ameritrash. LNoE will be significantly cheaper.

What exactly are you looking for in your next game? Do you want more like TtR? Something more cutthroat? More complex?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

TtR and Carcassonne is probably pretty close to the level of complexity and style, but I'm open for expanding my views. Don't really have much experience.

5 players is probably a minimum.
Not too complex, these people do not have much experience with anything but the most vanilla games (and more of the quiz style games).
Competitive games are fine (but perhaps not Diplomacy levels :v:)
Less than 2 hours of play time, or simultaneous turns (which is a plus either way).
Staying away from overly Card based games is probably best.

As I said earlier I'm getting Flash Point, so either something rather different from that and Ttr, or complementary.

InvadErGII
May 29, 2008
I had a pretty outstanding game session over the weekend featuring Niagara, Ticket to Ride, and Dominion. When playing quicker, lighter games we found it fun to add a "whoever wins picks the next game" rule to make things a bit more competitive.

The wife and I also tried Escape: The Curse of the Temple, Netrunner and Galaxy Trucker for the first time. I expect all of them will be frequent choices in our future game nights.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

The only good Zombie game you can get nowadays is City of Horror. The Zombies aren't the focus of the game, tossing your buddy out the door to keep them at bay is.

Let our boys sway your opinion: http://www.shutupshow.com/post/34756340632/review-city-of-horror

Shut Up and Sit Down posted:

Quinns: City of Horror is the best zombie board game ever made, because it understands that zombie fiction isn’t about zombies.

Paul: Right. It’s about survivors, and how they react under pressure. Which, considering myself and Quinns crumple under pressure like bananas in a clenched fist, was always going to be interesting.

It’s also about democracy. Sort of.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

That does seem like fun. I have no idea how the others will react to facing that, which is probably half the fun...

But of course, I'm not limiting myself to a zombie game so the question is: Is City of Horror good on its own merits? Those two certainly seemed to enjoy it, but what's the GoonOpinionTM?

I think the most important ingredient is player interactivity and ease of learning, so either everyone plays at the same time, or in teams.

Escape: The Curse of the Temple looks interesting out of that perspective.

Lots of good choices it seems!

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Pimpmust posted:

TtR and Carcassonne is probably pretty close to the level of complexity and style, but I'm open for expanding my views. Don't really have much experience.

5 players is probably a minimum.
Not too complex, these people do not have much experience with anything but the most vanilla games (and more of the quiz style games).
Competitive games are fine (but perhaps not Diplomacy levels :v:)
Less than 2 hours of play time, or simultaneous turns (which is a plus either way).
Staying away from overly Card based games is probably best.

As I said earlier I'm getting Flash Point, so either something rather different from that and Ttr, or complementary.
Not zombie-related, but 7 Wonders might fit the bill. It's got about a 30-40 minute play time AND simultaneous turns. It's a game where you're trying to build up your civilization that uses a card draft as its main mechanic. Also it plays up to 7 players.

Unfortunately, it can be kinda tough to find good games that play more than 5. At 6 or more you're probably best off breaking up into two groups, especially if you're trying to keep play times under 2 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
Yeah, 5+ is tricky. Try looking into The Resistance, which plays 5-10 or El Grande which is designed for 5

• Locked thread