Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

syscall girl posted:

Or if you really want to have fun with the idea read A World Out of Time. The future probably won't owe your frozen corpse anything. Pretty dated story but fun.

FUTURE BOOK posted:

Jaybee Corbell awoke after more than 200 years as a corpsicle -- in someone else's body, and under sentence of instant annihilation if he made a wrong move while they were training him for a one-way mission to the stars.
:aaaaa:
drat, Jaybe Corbell is having a poo poo time in the year 2177.

E. What's the deal with the Snake-Cat?

N. Senada fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

N. Senada posted:

http://www.alcor.org/

This looks suspicious to me. Is this a legit thing?

They will legitimately take your millions of dollars and freeze your head. You won't wake up from it, though. :(

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

N. Senada posted:

:aaaaa:
drat, Jaybe Corbell is having a poo poo time in the year 2177.

E. What's the deal with the Snake-Cat?

I have a different copy of the book, with a different cover. I think it was in a short story collection.

I also want to know what the deal is with that Snake-Cat.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
Do demonic possessions and the subsequent exorcism qualify as munchausen syndrome?

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Munchausen syndrome involves the subject making up symptoms and being aware they're fake/exaggerated. If the person who's "possessed" truly thinks they are, it's some sort of somatoform disorder, like hypochondria.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

syscall girl posted:

I have a different copy of the book, with a different cover. I think it was in a short story collection.

I also want to know what the deal is with that Snake-Cat.

It's a sci-fi book cover, so there probably is no deal. Maybe it's a metaphor, maybe it's something the cover illustrator (or whoever told him what to draw) misunderstood, maybe it's got nothing to do with the book and the illustrator just thought it looked cool, maybe the picture wasn't even specifically made for that book and was just picked out by the publisher. There's also a very small chance that the story features an actual snake-cat, but probably not.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
Does it matter if I take my daily medication with lemonade instead of water?

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

marshmallard posted:

Does it matter if I take my daily medication with lemonade instead of water?

It probably doesn't matter, but it entirely depends on what your daily medication is. For example, if you're taking Adderall, it could reduce the effectiveness.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Florida Betty posted:

It probably doesn't matter, but it entirely depends on what your daily medication is. For example, if you're taking Adderall, it could reduce the effectiveness.

Citalopram, thyroxine and birth control. I thought it was probably a bad idea but then I realised I'd just drink lemonade shortly afterwards anyway and it probably wouldn't make much difference.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

marshmallard posted:

Citalopram, thyroxine and birth control. I thought it was probably a bad idea but then I realised I'd just drink lemonade shortly afterwards anyway and it probably wouldn't make much difference.

Try this website: http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php

Put in all the drugs you take and it will tell you of any interactions, including interactions with food/drink.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

miryei posted:

Who is at fault in a head-on collision [when the roads are poo poo]?

Laws will vary by jurisdiction, but in normal circumstances it would be the person who crossed the center line. In a situation where circumstances have made normal operation impossible, it's less clear. Most jurisdictions have a catch-all "driving too fast for conditions," which is perfect for this kind of situation. If the road is that bad, neither driver should be going so fast that they can't easily stop and yield. That's what ends up happening in my town (Madison, WI), where this is how the roads are for months at a time. Everyone just does this impromptu dance of weaving in between the road and curb spaces.

I will also add that it is possible to have a "no fault" crash, where neither party is responsible. But that really requires some unavoidable insanity.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Florida Betty posted:

Try this website: http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php

Put in all the drugs you take and it will tell you of any interactions, including interactions with food/drink.

Nice, thank you.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Wyatt posted:

Laws will vary by jurisdiction, but in normal circumstances it would be the person who crossed the center line. In a situation where circumstances have made normal operation impossible, it's less clear. Most jurisdictions have a catch-all "driving too fast for conditions," which is perfect for this kind of situation. If the road is that bad, neither driver should be going so fast that they can't easily stop and yield. That's what ends up happening in my town (Madison, WI), where this is how the roads are for months at a time. Everyone just does this impromptu dance of weaving in between the road and curb spaces.

I will also add that it is possible to have a "no fault" crash, where neither party is responsible. But that really requires some unavoidable insanity.

To go further on this it is also possible for insurance companies to divide the blame between both parties. I'm not sure how the police would treat that but in the given scenario it is unlikely anyone would die so it probably wouldn't matter and you'd both be cited for reckless driving at most.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Tiggum posted:

It's a sci-fi book cover, so there probably is no deal. Maybe it's a metaphor, maybe it's something the cover illustrator (or whoever told him what to draw) misunderstood, maybe it's got nothing to do with the book and the illustrator just thought it looked cool, maybe the picture wasn't even specifically made for that book and was just picked out by the publisher. There's also a very small chance that the story features an actual snake-cat, but probably not.
It actually does. Quite a few of them, and one bites the hero. ~~~:catstare:

They're probably genetically engineered pets, but this is the far future so who the hell knows.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
In Android 4.1, how do you add a file shortcut to the home screen? I have a couple pdf manuals I'd like to have quick access to.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Is there a thread/forum where I can get a word translated?

Context: Dating a girl from Shanghai. Haven't seen her in a week but in recent texting flirtations she said something sweet and my response was "I would say something sweet back, but Im gonna sit and smile about this one for a moment."

Her only response was "Gangdu". I told her Google wasn't coming up with anything and she said "Oh yes, you are a Gangdu" and that she'd tell me what it meant in person, which may or may not be until the end of the week.

Just curious. Posting here in case someone can help.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

greatn posted:

In Android 4.1, how do you add a file shortcut to the home screen? I have a couple pdf manuals I'd like to have quick access to.
You'll need a widget. This one says it can do what you want.

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Is there a thread/forum where I can get a word translated?

Context: Dating a girl from Shanghai. Haven't seen her in a week but in recent texting flirtations she said something sweet and my response was "I would say something sweet back, but Im gonna sit and smile about this one for a moment."

Her only response was "Gangdu". I told her Google wasn't coming up with anything and she said "Oh yes, you are a Gangdu" and that she'd tell me what it meant in person, which may or may not be until the end of the week.

Just curious. Posting here in case someone can help.

Like I posted just earlier, I'd send you to the Chinese Language Thread, but it would be quicker to just answer it right here. The OP even says where to go for language-specific questions.

戇大 (gangdu) is Shanghainese for stupid/idiot/fool.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Thanks!

Hopefully she at least has some type of positive inflection there. :P

Inpossible
Oct 9, 2012

Is it really as dangerous to use metal objects to reach the toast in a toaster as people say?
Because wouldn't that mean that the inside of the toaster cunducted electricity, making it dangerous to put your fingers in there too?
Seems like it would break some kind of safety regulations.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well you aren't supposed to stick your fingers in any way. If you have to, just unplug it first.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Inpossible posted:

Is it really as dangerous to use metal objects to reach the toast in a toaster as people say?
Because wouldn't that mean that the inside of the toaster cunducted electricity, making it dangerous to put your fingers in there too?
Seems like it would break some kind of safety regulations.
Why would you put your fingers inside a plugged-in toaster? Don't do that. People like you are the reason they have "remove infant before folding" warnings on strollers and "do not use in bathtub" warnings on hair dryers.

Inpossible
Oct 9, 2012

randyest posted:

Why would you put your fingers inside a plugged-in toaster? Don't do that. People like you are the reason they have "remove infant before folding" warnings on strollers and "do not use in bathtub" warnings on hair dryers.

I don't put in my fingers, or metal things in toasters, just wondering if it's as dangerous as people say.

Might not be the smartest question, but I'm just wondering about it since I don't understand why it would be conductive.

Edit: VVV Thank you:science:

Inpossible fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 18, 2013

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
It's a "rule" from outdated electronics.

Old school toasters would use some kind of unshielded wire as the heating element. This wire would occasionally maintain an electrical charge even after the toaster was "off" and the wire was cooling down from red. Touch that with a fork and you could get a shock.

Not so much of a problem now days.

/poo poo I learned working in the family furniture and appliance stores.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Inpossible posted:

Because wouldn't that mean that the inside of the toaster cunducted electricity,

That's how toasters work. The heating element is metal that a bunch of electricity is dumped into, which makes it heat up. Although they usually have shielding on them these days, if you stick something in in the wrong way, you can break that and expose yourself to electrical current.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!
How do you pronounce the surname "Szekely" in English?

Save me from mangling my doctor's name.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Raimundus posted:

How do you pronounce the surname "Szekely" in English?

Save me from mangling my doctor's name.
I'm pretty sure it's roughly pronounced like "see kay"; that's actually Louis C.K.'s last name, his stage name was from a phonetic representation of the actual Hungarian pronunciation.

Here's a page with audio: http://www.forvo.com/word/sz%C3%A9kely/

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
There was a famous ethnocentric axiom by a British guy that the closer news is to England geographically, the more important it is, it was called _____'s Law, anyone know the full name?

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

het posted:

I'm pretty sure it's roughly pronounced like "see kay"; that's actually Louis C.K.'s last name, his stage name was from a phonetic representation of the actual Hungarian pronunciation.

Here's a page with audio: http://www.forvo.com/word/sz%C3%A9kely/

That's a great factoid about Louis C.K. Just another reason to like the guy

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

TATPants posted:

That's a great factoid about Louis C.K. Just another reason to like the guy
Another one if you didn't know it: He was born in Mexico and his first language was Spanish.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Liebfraumilch posted:

I'm looking to track down a lotion that I bought probably fifteen years ago--late 1990s--and I know it was made by Bath & Body Works, and I'd recognize the scent though I can't describe it any better than "clean and herbalish", and I would recognize the original packaging, but I do not know the scent name or the line name.

I think I know the lotion you're talking about, I had it in early high school and really loved it (2000-ish). It was a pale blue (maybe green) color with small darker colored beads inside. Really small beads, you almost didn't notice them. Anyway it was called Mint something, and they don't make it anymore, I've looked. However, Juniper Breeze is quite similar, and I also have a green candle from Bath and Body called "Energy" or maybe "Energize" and it smells even closer to the lotion than Juniper Breeze. I think they make the Energy scent as a lotion, can't say for sure as I got the candle as a gift.

EDIT: Hey sorry I was wrong about the candle name, it's called "Stress Relief"! It's Eucalyptus Spearmint scented.

razz fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 19, 2013

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I need to know everything I need to know about air compressor tanks before I buy one. I have an airbrush compressor and the piston action in it makes the spray all spattery. I want an air tank to regulate the airflow so it's constant instead of constantly changing. I bought an in-line regulator but that didn't solve the problem because as it turns out it doesn't regulate a loving thing, it's just an on/off with a gauge attached.

The major thing I'm wondering about here is how what kind of pipe fittings and poo poo I'm going to need in order to use it. All the cheap tanks I've seen have a single opening for intake and output, and there's some kind of hardware in that hole that has two openings. Generally one is 1/4", and the other one is like the size of the thing you pump your tires through. It's also got a little thingie in it that you ahve to press down in order to release the air. What kind of fitting would I use to connect that to an airbrush?

Basically what do I need to buy to connect all my poo poo up? I'm done buying poo poo and not knowing that it will work when I'm done.

Budget Bears
Feb 7, 2011

I had never seen anyone make sweet love to a banjo like this before.
I'm trying to buy a bedskirt for my full size bed. How much of a difference is there gonna be if I buy a queen size bedskirt? Because I keep finding nice-looking cheap ones at thrift stores and I've never found a full size one, but I've found tons of queen size. Will it look super frumpy and oversized or will it even be that noticeable if there is a queen size bedskirt on my full size bed?

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
If there is a piece of mantou (chinese bread) with moldy dots all over it, is it safe to eat if you just toast the thing?

Note: I'm not actually going to eat moldy bread. We threw them out already. It was my dad moaning about how it was a waste because he would have just toasted it and chowed down.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
It depends on the bread, the mold, and how hot your toaster gets. You could feasibly make the bread edible but I would not risk it.

Inpossible
Oct 9, 2012

Pron on VHS posted:

There was a famous ethnocentric axiom by a British guy that the closer news is to England geographically, the more important it is, it was called _____'s Law, anyone know the full name?

Think it is McLurg's Law.

Inpossible fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Mar 19, 2013

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

Budget Bears posted:

I'm trying to buy a bedskirt for my full size bed. How much of a difference is there gonna be if I buy a queen size bedskirt? Because I keep finding nice-looking cheap ones at thrift stores and I've never found a full size one, but I've found tons of queen size. Will it look super frumpy and oversized or will it even be that noticeable if there is a queen size bedskirt on my full size bed?

Most bedskirts have a generic white swath of fabric that is the length and width of the box spring, so if you don't mind a bit of that white fabric showing then I guess it doesn't matter. It would be a lot harder to center it and the corners might not look all that great but it would work.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Lyz posted:

Most bedskirts have a generic white swath of fabric that is the length and width of the box spring, so if you don't mind a bit of that white fabric showing then I guess it doesn't matter. It would be a lot harder to center it and the corners might not look all that great but it would work.

I have a queen size skirt on a full size box spring, and I just tuck it in at the edges so the white part doesn't show. It's kind of a pain to keep it in place like that all the time but otherwise yeah it works alright.

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008

razz posted:

I think I know the lotion you're talking about, I had it in early high school and really loved it (2000-ish). It was a pale blue (maybe green) color with small darker colored beads inside. Really small beads, you almost didn't notice them. Anyway it was called Mint something, and they don't make it anymore, I've looked. However, Juniper Breeze is quite similar, and I also have a green candle from Bath and Body called "Energy" or maybe "Energize" and it smells even closer to the lotion than Juniper Breeze. I think they make the Energy scent as a lotion, can't say for sure as I got the candle as a gift.

EDIT: Hey sorry I was wrong about the candle name, it's called "Stress Relief"! It's Eucalyptus Spearmint scented.

Razz, you wonderful, wonderful person. Thank you--I will make a trip to the mall for reconnaissance soon. God, that lotion was the best and it was just uncommon enough that it wasn't on every single girl in the school like that fruity Victoria's Secret thing...

Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I just suddenly wondered if I'm mouthwashing correctly, I do the regular swishing and gargling, but what should I do after I spit the mouthwash out?

Should I spit it out and leave it at that, leaving some tiny remnant of mouthwash still in my mouth so it's maybe giving clean protective powers? Should I instead rinse my mouth afterwards with water so that chemicals the government put in mouthwash don't poison me?