Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I've read articles before about how hard calrose rice gets pushed in Japan and how hard Japan pushes back. Article after article about how it just isn't right for the Japanese palette and that's why they tariff the poo poo out of it to make sure no one buys it.

Hm...I feel like there's some disconnect in logic there...can't put my finger on it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN

Samurai Sanders posted:

I've read articles before about how hard calrose rice gets pushed in Japan and how hard Japan pushes back. Article after article about how it just isn't right for the Japanese palette and that's why they tariff the poo poo out of it to make sure no one buys it.

Hm...I feel like there's some disconnect in logic there...can't put my finger on it though.

The logical disconnect is that if it isn't right for the "Japanese palette", tariffs aren't needed to make sure no one/very few people buy it.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

The only people that benefit from this protectionist agricultural policy are olds out in the boonies. Which is why it won't change :eng99:

NewtGoongrich posted:

The logical disconnect is that if it isn't right for the "Japanese palette", tariffs aren't needed to make sure no one/very few people buy it.

*WHOOSH*

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

NewtGoongrich posted:

"Rice is the national staple" seems like a great reason not to impose a 778% tariff on rice imports.

Rice in Asia recently going through a ridiculous supply shock due to speculation, and not an actual lack of supply, seems like a great reason to keep tariffs on rice in order to protect the self-sufficiency of a nation that already relies on imports more than it probably should. For as much talk about how Japanese people won't ever stand for anything but Japanese rice, in practice they know that people respond to cheap prices. Thus, they keep the tariffs in place to prevent the hollowing out of their domestic food supply.

Mr. Fix It posted:

The only people that benefit from this protectionist agricultural policy are olds out in the boonies. Which is why it won't change :eng99:

People benefit from this policy, and so therefore we should do away with it? Yeah, gently caress those old rural people that feed the country, right?

ErIog fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Mar 15, 2013

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
How much more does rice generally cost in Japan compared to other places at the supermarket?

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL
Some of my students can't wait to try Basmati rice. I've been hyping it up loads.

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL

ErIog posted:

People benefit from this policy, and so therefore we should do away with it? Yeah, gently caress those old rural people that feed the country, right?

Well if all the olds actually died Japan might see some positive change! But no, they keep living and living and... living. All because of their wonderrice.

Rabite
Apr 13, 2002

Dynamiet Rab
When the US said lay all your cards on the table, they didn't mean those funny nintendo trick cards! :colbert:

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Bloodnose posted:

How much more does rice generally cost in Japan compared to other places at the supermarket?
A 5-kilogram (11 lb) bag currently generally runs 1800-2200 yen ($18.71~$22.88 at current rates) depending on what kind of rice it is and whether it's on sale or not. I just go with whatever's the cheapest; I can't tell the difference between any of them since they're all bleached white rice anyway. It's apparently cheaper at rice dispenser stands - but not by much, and they're generally located away from the urban centers.

It's enormously expensive and people grumble about the cost since it's been steadily rising since I've been here, but they'll buy it because white rice is considered the main dish in every single Japanese meal that has it. Everything else is considered a side.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

ErIog posted:

Rice in Asia recently going through a ridiculous supply shock due to speculation, and not an actual lack of supply, seems like a great reason to keep tariffs on rice in order to protect the self-sufficiency of a nation that already relies on imports more than it probably should. For as much talk about how Japanese people won't ever stand for anything but Japanese rice, in practice they know that people respond to cheap prices. Thus, they keep the tariffs in place to prevent the hollowing out of their domestic food supply.

loving modernize the farming infrastructure. I bet they could compete on price if the farmers weren't all decrepit geezers and geezettes. That supply shock was triggered by another dumb policy in another country: India decided to ban rice exports. One market distorting policy isn't fixed with another.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
No discussion of worldwide rice policy/price/supply is complete without mentioning the world's number one rice exporter for decades having just this year enacted a stupid loving price fixing policy internally that has pitched prices upward internationally and created massive deficits on the country's books. That's Thailand, of course, who only this year has been surpassed in exports for the first time.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Mar 15, 2013

Gleri
Mar 10, 2009

ErIog posted:

Talk about "self sufficiency" always seems ridiculous to me in reference to a country that imports virutally all of its energy supplies (Appearantly 96% not counting nuclear, 82% with nuclear). What sort of situation are people envisioning? When does this become relevant? I don't think we're actually going to see total war in any of our lifetimes. I feel like "domestic food supply" is only something that matters to military planners and the agricultural lobby.

If we're going to talk rural old people we should also compare them with urban old people and other precarious people whose standard of living has to be impacted by the ridiculously inflated cost of staple foods.

And, I'm by no means an economist and I honestly don't know if this is true, but I'd think logically that restricting imports creates a risk of supply shocks from natural disaster (flooding, drought, disease). You're really putting all your eggs in one basket.

I'm really hoping that TPP can prove a big enough carrot to destroy a bunch of agricultural tarrifs and subsidies, and not just in Japan. It just seems so wasteful to pour money into the countryside that could be so much better spent elsewhere. Might as well employ the farmers to burn the money for all the economic good subsidies seem to do.

Gleri fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Mar 15, 2013

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Japan's cabinet has approved the 1980 Hague Convention on child abduction, paving the way for legislation to enforce it.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_asiapacific/view/1260157/1/.html

quote:

TOKYO: Japan moved one step closer to adopting a long-delayed treaty on child abductions on Friday when the cabinet of Prime Minister Shinzo Abe gave its approval, a government spokesman said.

Japan is the only member of the Group of Eight major industrialised nations that has not joined the 1980 Hague Convention, which requires children be returned to their usual country of residence if they are snatched during the collapse of an international marriage.

Hundreds of non-Japanese parents, mostly men from the United States and elsewhere, have been left without any recourse after their estranged partners took their children back to Japan.

Unlike Western nations, Japan does not recognise joint custody and divorce courts usually award custody of children to their mothers.

Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga said following cabinet approval, the government would swiftly submit the necessary legislation to parliament.

"It is important for our country to join the Hague Convention that sets international rules on dealing with illegal kidnapping of children, now that the numbers of international marriages and international divorces have increased," he said.

Last month, Abe visited US President Barack Obama in Washington and promised that Tokyo would join the treaty.

For the past few years, Japan has promised to join the treaty, but has never moved it through parliament.

US lawmakers have repeatedly demanded action from Japan on child abductions, one of the few open disputes between the close allies.

-AFP/fl

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy
Food security is such a loving weak excuse for the tariffs. If it really was a major issue that needed to be dealt with then uncle taro and his 1 acre farm has to go so they can tear up all that poo poo and build mega farms capable of actually producing substantial amounts of food stuffs for the population. Not this turn of the century agrarian bullshit run by the loving JA of tons of little farms. I can't find the article but there was one I read about this farming town where there were more people working at the JA office in the town than there were farmers.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Vegetable posted:

Japan's cabinet has approved the 1980 Hague Convention on child abduction, paving the way for legislation to enforce it.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_asiapacific/view/1260157/1/.html

It's not going to matter unless they change the terminology used in the legislation and also retrain judges so that verbal arguments aren't included as domestic violence. The last version they tabled was so full of loopholes that they might as well have just dropped their pants and mooned the international community.

Relevant article in the JT here.

Edit: Here's another one. Note that it's written by Amy Savoie though and has quite a slant to it.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Mar 15, 2013

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Do they have any actual motivation to really change this situation or are they comfortable just saying gently caress you to the West forever?

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy
It's possible their actual plan for the population decline is to just steal babies.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."
The self sufficiency argument doesn't hold water, mainly because there simply isn't enough arable land to meet the caloric needs of the country at its current level of population. The food self sufficiency rating has hovered around 40% for the last 20 years or so, according to MAFF statistics. For comparison, the UK is around 70%. Remember that we're talking about a country of 120 million+ packed into an area roughly the size of California, with a large portion of it mountainous or occupied by conurbation. Reclaiming land is an expensive boondoggle that can cause immense environmental damage and disrupt a wide variety of marine-based industries such as fishing and seaweed harvesting (see the Isahaya Bay Reclamation Project and its effects on the Ariake Sea). That's not to say that domestic agriculture should be abandoned, since that would just make the country even more vulnerable to international price shocks and shortages. However, the simple reality of the circumstances is that no matter how you massage the numbers, Japan is still going to be dependent on imports for a significant amount of their food supply.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Sheep posted:

Edit: Here's another one. Note that it's written by Amy Savoie though and has quite a slant to it.

The last person who should be opening their yap about child abduction is Amy loving Savoie. Sheesh. poo poo like that is why I deleted JT from my bookmarks on Dec. 31. They need to go away and open the market for a real newspaper.
edit: or just go away

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
Tariffs are almost always bad unless the other country is engaging in dumping (i.e., selling their stuff for less than the price it costs to make it just so they can eliminate your firms and then enact their own monopoly)

It is ridiculous how much Japanese rice costs. Sorry, but a policy which helps out 1% of the population at the cost of the other 99% isn't worth it. I saw a chart once about how much each job "saved" by tariffs cost-- for Japan the figure was well over $1 million dollars per farmer job. I am all about government helping out the poor, and social programs, but this just isn't the way to do it. All of that money wasted on paying Japanese farmers could instead be used for childcare to let more women enter the workforce, healthcare costs for an aging population, etc. But instead it's propping up a handful of farmers because they are the only ones that bothered to vote.
Japan needs to either get into luxury, ~special Japanese Rice~ which some people will pay astronomical costs for or completely get out of the rice business...

TL'DR: Tariffs suck

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Madd0g11 posted:

Food security is such a loving weak excuse for the tariffs. If it really was a major issue that needed to be dealt with then uncle taro and his 1 acre farm has to go so they can tear up all that poo poo and build mega farms capable of actually producing substantial amounts of food stuffs for the population. Not this turn of the century agrarian bullshit run by the loving JA of tons of little farms. I can't find the article but there was one I read about this farming town where there were more people working at the JA office in the town than there were farmers.

Farmers were considered next in the pecking order after samurai.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Stringent posted:

Farmers were considered next in the pecking order after samurai.
I think it actually went samurai > artisans > farmers.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN

Samurai Sanders posted:

I think it actually went samurai > artisans > farmers.

IIRC, the pecking order was traditionally samurai > farmers > artisans > merchants.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Or just call it by its name, 士農工商 (shinōkōshō).

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy

NewtGoongrich posted:

IIRC, the pecking order was traditionally samurai > farmers > artisans > merchants.

IT Dudes > samurai > farmers > artisans > merchants.

I fixed it for me.

But it's a huge problem when 1% of the olds, the oldest olds. Are backseat driving the government because they grow rice.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

NewtGoongrich posted:

Everything I've ever read said it was samurai with their own set of laws that applied to them then farmers/artisans/merchants held up to a separate legal system.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

pentyne posted:

Everything I've ever read said it was samurai with their own set of laws that applied to them then farmers/artisans/merchants held up to a separate legal system.

In a lot of ways, yeah. In the Edo period, if you were a member of one the lower classes and offended or angered someone in the warrior class, they had the legal right to kill you on the spot. In practice it wasn't so simple though--the country was parceled up into fiefdoms and in practical terms a lot of those double-standard laws only applied when you were in your home fief. If you went into another lord's domain and started messing with his farmers or merchants or whatever you'd get yourself in really hot water.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
I just want to thank you guys for the current conversation because I went to a pub quiz last night and there was a question about exactly this topic-- namely, to put the four classes in their appropriate hierarchy. 12 hours earlier I would've been totally clueless but I got the answer right and a lot of "wtf" stares from my teammates for knowing the answer immediately.

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~

Rekinom fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Apr 15, 2020

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010
The food at the commissary has no markup on transport cost though. The transport cost is sucked up by the American tax payer to give the military personnel a 'taste of home away from home.' I don't know much about how the commissary stocks food, if they bring it on commercial planes or on palletes in the back of a C130. I also suspect food suppliers give the military good deals that no other place can hope to get.

Cutting tariffs would bring the prices down, but it'd never match anything at the commissary, even in the states, Wal-Mart still can't compete with prices at the commissary.

=============
EDIT:

Forgot to post this yesterday.

Abe pledges to increase Japan's deterrence

Abe's doing exactly what I figured; Priming everyone to accept huge budget bumps in defense spending.

Kenishi fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Mar 18, 2013

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

I don't have any numbers, but having been born in Newport, RI, home of the Naval War College, I know that the tendency is for government contractors to soak the military for all they can.

The point remains that commissary prices are heavily subsidized in much the same way that housing prices are for servicemen and women, for the same reason. It's hard enough keeping people in for multiple tours of duty as it is, so you don't want to have people getting pissed off about not being able to afford a decent steak or a reasonably sized apartment.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
So grocery prices for soldiers are subsidised therefore Japan's protectionist tariffs are a-ok. Gj japan thread, stay crazy!

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010
You can cut the tariffs, but I'm pretty sure that you'll still be paying for it somewhere else. Small farmers can't really compete against corporate farmers so you'll end up with a lot of people losing income, and some 50 yr old farmer isn't going to be retooling themselves for a new job market. I'd be curious to know what fraction of those are retirees using their crops to supplement their pensions. If its a large chunk, you'd probably just have the govt. paying recompense for lost income. Japan may not be far from 3rd world in some respects, but the country is still 1st world enough to not accept letting mass numbers of old people die of starvation on the streets. At least in that respect, people tend to be a bit more morally responsible than most libertarians wish the world was.

Japan isn't going to be cutting tariffs on rice though, but I suspect they'll get into the TPP just fine.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
Guess you missed the part where protectionism costs over $1 million USD per farmer job retained. They could just pay farmers to NOT farm and it would be more economically efficient.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

hitension posted:

Guess you missed the part where protectionism costs over $1 million USD per farmer job retained. They could just pay farmers to NOT farm and it would be more economically efficient.
As America has shown, this can have unintended consequences.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

ReindeerF posted:

As America has shown, this can have unintended consequences.

This actually gets misunderstood. The paying not to farm thing was a result of the Dust Bowl. Overfarming fucks up everything, as the Dust Bowl quite dramatically showed, but it's hard to ask farmers to just not grow anything since that means they have no income. So, the paying people not to farm concept was created to support farmers while their land was laying fallow, in order to prevent another Dust Bowl.

Unless I'm wrong, but this is my understanding of it. The big farming corporations abuse it since they don't need to farm all the time, but then you're telling a company not to make as much profit as they could be and corporations are all assholes, so.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010

hitension posted:

I don't follow. Imposing tariffs doesn't cost money. Unless you are trying to say that the difference in money saved from "letting the market set the price" is the money 'spent.'
I really don't care one way or the other. What I do know is I live in rural Japan and see the reality of the situation. More than half the land out here is farm land and most of the populace working the land is people well over 40. If even half of these people are relying on selling their crops for income, then the removal of tariffs will probably put most in dire straits.

One question I still have is if the federal government removes tariffs, can prefectures just go back later and pass prefecture-level laws to reinstate tariffs on the prefecture level on imported goods?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Kenishi posted:

I don't follow. Imposing tariffs doesn't cost money. Unless you are trying to say that the difference in money saved from "letting the market set the price" is the money 'spent.'
I really don't care one way or the other. What I do know is I live in rural Japan and see the reality of the situation. More than half the land out here is farm land and most of the populace working the land is people well over 40. If even half of these people are relying on selling their crops for income, then the removal of tariffs will probably put most in dire straits.

One question I still have is if the federal government removes tariffs, can prefectures just go back later and pass prefecture-level laws to reinstate tariffs on the prefecture level on imported goods?

It's simple: the Japanese are wasting money on food in a misguided, inefficient, market distorting exercise in de facto welfare by protecting inefficient farming. Buy up all the loving olds' farm land, put them to work nursing the super-olds, and sell the land to farming conglomerates that can actually turn a profit without ridiculous protections. Hell, I don't care if they require it to stay farm land instead of redeveloping. And the prefectures have zero independence: Japan is a unitary state.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

Stringent posted:

So grocery prices for soldiers are subsidised therefore Japan's protectionist tariffs are a-ok. Gj japan thread, stay crazy!

I'm not sure who you're replying to with this. Me and Kenishi were both commenting on why PX prices are so low. Neither of us were tying it to a supporting argument for protectionist tariffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Kenishi posted:

You can cut the tariffs, but I'm pretty sure that you'll still be paying for it somewhere else. Small farmers can't really compete against corporate farmers so you'll end up with a lot of people losing income, and some 50 yr old farmer isn't going to be retooling themselves for a new job market. I'd be curious to know what fraction of those are retirees using their crops to supplement their pensions. If its a large chunk, you'd probably just have the govt. paying recompense for lost income. Japan may not be far from 3rd world in some respects, but the country is still 1st world enough to not accept letting mass numbers of old people die of starvation on the streets. At least in that respect, people tend to be a bit more morally responsible than most libertarians wish the world was.

Japan isn't going to be cutting tariffs on rice though, but I suspect they'll get into the TPP just fine.

I read a report a few months ago that showed that most of these small farmers actually lose money due to property taxes on the land, equipment upkeep (lots of them tend to have tractors and what not for their tiny plots), and so on. If not for subsidies and artificially high prices on rice they'd be losing money hand over fist, which is really about the only decent argument I've seen for keeping the rice tariffs and government controls in place.

As you suspect, though, a large number of small farmers are retirees with a tiny plot next to their house farming rice in their spare time.

Mr. Fix It posted:

Buy up all the loving olds' farm land, put them to work nursing the super-olds

That's actually a good idea. They could also cut property taxes on small farm plots if they wanted to keep farming viable for retirees, but that will never happen.

Edit: agricultural land is already taxed less residential land to begin with, though I'm not sure exactly to what degree.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 18, 2013