Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

dutch wife abc posted:

The main reason why tapes have become so common within the BM/Noise/Ambient/Whatever circles is because they're really cheap to make. They only cost a couple of bucks a piece and they're easy to make a profit from. I'd much rather buy a cassette than a CD-R-.

Depends on location. Even back when stores still sold empty tapes in Finland, they were a lot more expensive than CD-R:s (which is hardly surprising considering they have a lot of moving parts).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dutch wife abc
Apr 25, 2012

Jerry Cotton posted:

Depends on location. Even back when stores still sold empty tapes in Finland, they were a lot more expensive than CD-R:s (which is hardly surprising considering they have a lot of moving parts).

I mean in terms of mass production. Getting someone to make 60 or so tapes of your recording isn't that expensive, CD-R's are generally burned completely by the artists themselves (from what i know anyway). So yeah, CD-R's are obviously the cheapest option but a lot of people scoff at them.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
In Québec it was common for people to call their records "des vinyles" so nowadays you'd probably hear "vinyls" more often from French people speaking English :shobon:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I pick up a lot of tapes at shows. A lot of the bands I see make one or two EPs and don't have the money to put it on vinyl.

Tapes audio quality are really hit or miss. I have some that sound stellar. Most sound like garbage.

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad
All the tapes I've put out sound good because I'm a good person. I am good at people things.

worthless insect
Aug 12, 2012

I have no real problem with buying cassettes. The only bands that I have on cassette are from small diy labels from around where I live. I'd prefer a record any day but I understand if a local band can't afford records or something.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Oh gently caress that. If they can afford a run of cassettes they can drat sure afford a run of CDs.

Cassette releases are just hipster douchebaggery, nothing more, even for those death metal guys.

worthless insect
Aug 12, 2012

I suppose it is hipster douchebaggery. However, most people think records are hipster douchebaggery and can't understand why anyone would buy them over CDs as well.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I don't know the cost difference as I don't run a music label (I am pretty sure someone in this page does though!) but with a tape the band can include all sorts of art and sell them dirt cheap. CDs are always a lot more expensive whenever I see them on sale. People who can't play a tape would probably rather just get the download instead (which comes with most tapes anyway).

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I can't believe I'm in a thread about vinyl where people are writing off a long-dead music format as "hipster douchebaggery"

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

It's the equivalent of my generation suddenly being re-enamored with 8-tracks.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

But they're like music bricks! Indestructible and musical.

And vinyl isn't objectively obsolete.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

WASDF posted:

But they're like music bricks! Indestructible and musical.
And constructable like bricks!

http://www.artfire.com/nosh/what-to-do-with-those-old-cassette-tapes/

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Those lamps are pretty ill.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Got my copy of The Men's New Moon in the mail today. I ordered the limited package and it's pretty nice - there's an additional screen printed sleeve sealed with some rainbow wax and an EP of unreleased material on CD. My stylus seems to be skating a lot on the actual record though which it doesn't do on most records. Is there anything I can do besides increasing the anti-skate on my turn table?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Does New Moon suck as much as their last one? :smith:

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

alg posted:

Does New Moon suck as much as their last one? :smith:

If you thought the last one sucked then this one sucks even more. I like it but a lot of longtime fans don't.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
Tapes are cool. It's basically just a way for me to throw a few bucks at a band. Plus I can listen to them in my car. I have absolutely no need for CDs, haven't bought one in years, and will never buy one again. Most bands that put out tapes just give their MP3s away so if you really want a CD you can do it yourself.

All the albums/EPs I have on tape I also have on vinyl. Really, I just loving hate CDs.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
You kids with your tiny convenient compact cassettes. Back in my day... :corsair:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxRs2UESCjE

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Blast Fantasto posted:

I can't believe I'm in a thread about vinyl where people are writing off a long-dead music format as "hipster douchebaggery"

My douchebaggery isn't nearly as douchey as your douchebaggery!

dutch wife abc
Apr 25, 2012

iostream.h posted:

Oh gently caress that. If they can afford a run of cassettes they can drat sure afford a run of CDs.

Cassette releases are just hipster douchebaggery, nothing more, even for those death metal guys.

What exactly is it about cassettes that are so offensive?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Cassettes are fun. I mean, I don't buy 'em but I can see the appeal.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Tusen Takk posted:

I never got it either, my guess is that the analog hiss of the cassette "adds to the atmosphere of the music since it's reminiscent of the eery silence experienced during a walk through a winter forest"

http://www.analogworship.com/?filter=cs and http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?format=Cassette&style=Black+Metal are the go-to place for the dudes I know who are into it.

The last paragraph of the "Decline" section on Wikipedia's article on cassette tapes even discusses its use by the BM community, though I think it's more of a European thing than an American thing.

There's nothing wrong with tape. Some pro ones sound perfectly fine. Lots of underground black metal and death metal bands release their demos on tape only. Lots of experimental electronic stuff is tape-only as well. If that's what it takes to support the bands I like, that's what I'll do. If tapes are so offensive to you, don't listen to them.

e:

iostream.h posted:

Completely wrong. A demo of 3 songs costs a shitload less to put out on tape then on CD. Price it out, hotshot.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I don't have a problem with tapes beyond "they explode if you look at them funny or store them at a temperature higher than 50 F."

e: Today is apparently a Wren Can't Grammar day.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 18, 2013

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:
Here are somme of my cooler tapes. Tape collecting is fun! Especially if you are a metal, industrial, or rap fan. Going to Goodwill and getting some sensitive boy from 1996's mixtape is exciting. Sometimes you can actually get history. Take for instance the Ten Wanted Men tape in the picture below. Its just a promo tape for a obscure rap group, but its a piece of Memphis rap history. Same with the TG tape. That Final Solution tape is just a repress of a noise demo from the early 90s. It was limited to 100 and sold out with in a few days. It tripled in price (to $15)! They also sound cool. Play a CrO2 tape on the "Metal" setting. Or an 80s pop tape that was left in a moldy basement for a decade and is half decayed. So gently caress off with the tape hate you nerds

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
drat, was just gonna post something like that but that is much better than what I would've posted.

Tapes are rad.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
This is the only tape I have. I think it's a pretty good start.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

Going to Goodwill and getting some sensitive boy from 1996's mixtape is exciting.

I found an old mixtape I probably made in 1996 when I was a sensitive boy, but don't have a working tape player to listen to it. I need to go to a goodwill and find a walkman.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Surprise!

quote:

Hey everybody, just wanted to give you an update on the Star Wars Episode 1 OST orders. Unfortunately we were not able to meet our original deadline in March to have
the orders already and shipped out. We are deep in the manufacturing process and with so many people involved in this big project, this took much longer than
expected. But we want to make sure everything is perfect and you are all getting best quality of records. As soon as I heard a more definite date to see this, I will let you
all know for sure.

Thank you all for your patience!

Craig/I Am Shark

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
God I'm stupid for putting money on that

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

alg posted:

Surprise!

Isn't this the guy that told people to "get hosed" if they didn't like the coloured vinyl they'd receive?

Edit : This one? http://modern-vinyl.com/2013/01/11/star-wars-episode-1-receives-1st-pressing/

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Has anyone ever bought anything from Cass Records?

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools

midge posted:

Isn't this the guy that told people to "get hosed" if they didn't like the coloured vinyl they'd receive?

Edit : This one? http://modern-vinyl.com/2013/01/11/star-wars-episode-1-receives-1st-pressing/

That label's website is a real noggin'-scratcher. Their store is stocked with mostly third-tier emo, then a soundtrack to a Star Wars prequel. What the hell?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Jerry Cotton posted:

I swear if I ever hear somebody call records vinyls again I'll unload a whole clip of bullets into them from my Colt Python pistol.

Nice play, sir.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

quote:

Not yet - very sorry for the delay! hoping to get everything mailed out this week!

medi

I don't care if this is a week ago, I'm still pumped that things are finally happening (slowly)

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

david puddy posted:

The version I got is sold out, though :smug:

My Images and Words arrived a couple of weeks ago as well! I was very happy when I got it in the mail. Then I turned it over and saw this:

I guess I got my order in just in time? Made my day, anyway.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

realbez posted:

My Images and Words arrived a couple of weeks ago as well! I was very happy when I got it in the mail. Then I turned it over and saw this:

I guess I got my order in just in time? Made my day, anyway.

That's cool, I doubt they numbered them in the order they were bought though. Some nerds will probably pay a lot more money for #500/500 though.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time
I got a new 7" from VEVC, I think my last from the 2012 subscription and I just renewed for 2013. I've been doing it for a few years now and have a large pile of them that are all coloured mostly hand numbered out of 200,500 or 1000. First stuff was mostly metal but lately they've been branching out a bit, last couple were Afrofunk split CSC FUNK BAND / GRANT PHABAO and Nu Sensae/Useless Eaters.
White Vinyl
Probably the lowest number of any of the releases I've got which is cool.
https://store.volcoment.com/vevc/
I don't have ALL of these ones, I missed out on the first 6 and would love to find a copy of the Tweak Bird/Red Fang release

Chompsky Honk
Aug 28, 2009

by T. Finninho
About to order this :
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002S1CJ2Q/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

which will connect to:

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-VSX-5...eywords=vsx+521

Do I need a preamp? If so, recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
No. From the turntable description: "Switchable built-in pre-amplifier with line-level RCA output cables." Most entry level turntables will have the preamp built in since phono inputs are so rare on non-audiophile equipment. Some higher-end ones might not, but honestly, most of the ones you are going to get for a reasonable price will have it ready to go.