Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ConanThe3rd posted:

I'd just like to watch the show the way that gives the production company money.

This (with the addition of greater visibility), though I'm in Australia. Our streaming choices are few and terrible and so is our bandwidth, sooo... Yeah. That's fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

jyrque posted:

The point is, a lot of people can. Which is better for the series' western releases anywhere if it gathers enough views on such VOD services.

Now, I haven't used the service in a looooong time, but doesn't Netflix only supply the dubbed versions? I remember a subbed version of Ponyo not even being an option three years ago. It'd be rather a disservice to supply online-only viewers with that A Bigger Boat crap.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

The White Dragon posted:

Now, I haven't used the service in a looooong time, but doesn't Netflix only supply the dubbed versions? I remember a subbed version of Ponyo not even being an option three years ago. It'd be rather a disservice to supply online-only viewers with that A Bigger Boat crap.

I'm not sure if Netflix features multiple audio tracks and if not, it's most likely that the KOTAK dub found on DVDs will be used.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

bpc908 posted:

The only downside is not everyone can get netflix

And if they announced DVDs you'd be mad they don't have the Tamage segments on them. Jesus Christ, dude, it's a step forward.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Netflix has the ability for dual language tracks and subtitles, but they only seem to bother licensing one language with everything Ive watched. That one language isnt necessarily an English dub, by the way.

makere
Jan 14, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

And if they announced DVDs you'd be mad they don't have the Tamage segments on them. Jesus Christ, dude, it's a step forward.

They already said that it's a VOD in Facebook, just saying if you/anyone missed that.

Gutcruncher posted:

Netflix has the ability for dual language tracks and subtitles, but they only seem to bother licensing one language with everything Ive watched. That one language isnt necessarily an English dub, by the way.

But it will probably be US-only, which sucks for everyone else. They just got Netflix to here, but the selection is just a tiny fraction of what is in the US.

Crunchyroll would be better, because they aren't so anal about country limitations.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Chill the gently caress out, man, he's got a point. If you, as an individual, live anywhere other than the US, Netflix picking up the show means all you, personally, get is a reason to frown.

draks
Apr 29, 2009

here he comes
I know it's not the optimal solution, but I have a really simple plugin for Chrome that lets me access US Netflix from out-of-country. Is it possible to sign up+pay for a new US Netflix account using a plugin like that? I already had an account before I left America, so I can't try it myself, but... maybe this is a thing??

i just want everyone to be happy HEY HEY LET'S ALL FRIENDS

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

According to this thread something good happening to Americans is a bad thing because.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

draks posted:

I know it's not the optimal solution, but I have a really simple plugin for Chrome that lets me access US Netflix from out-of-country. Is it possible to sign up+pay for a new US Netflix account using a plugin like that? I already had an account before I left America, so I can't try it myself, but... maybe this is a thing??

There are no US Netflix accounts, there are just Netflix accounts. I'm Finnish, I pay in euros to Netflix Finland and I mostly use US Netflix through a proxy service (Unblock-us) without any problems. So yes, if you can create a Netflix account in whatever country you are now or in any other country, you can watch US Netflix through MediaHint or any other proxy solution.

Also it's been verified with Netflix that they don't care about people using proxies, because either way they're getting money.

(hell, you can probably just reactivate your old account and keep using it)

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm gonna wait and see what's actually gonna be featured on GCCX Netflix before making judgment. But more exposure in the western market surely can't be a bad thing? It might lead to a second DVD, hell, even another Kacho in USA - episode.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

Mister Chief posted:

According to this thread something good happening to Americans is a bad thing because.

Hahahah you must be joking.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

the least weasel posted:

Hahahah you must be joking.

It seems to me that people have absolutely no reason to complain about the episodes being available via another distribution method and yet here we are.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Mister Chief posted:

It seems to me that people have absolutely no reason to complain about the episodes being available via another distribution method and yet here we are.

No reason? Because I can think of loads of reasons to complain about any episode becoming only available to Netflix users. That's what's gonna happen, y'know-- just like it did with the Kotaku eps, the SAGCCX Team is probably going to take down the links to any shows that get on Netflix, and then if you can't use Netflix or live in a country where Netflix doesn't operate you're basically boned.

SpaceGodzilla
Sep 24, 2012

I sure hope Godzilla-senpai notices me~

Son Ryo posted:

No reason? Because I can think of loads of reasons to complain about any episode becoming only available to Netflix users. That's what's gonna happen, y'know-- just like it did with the Kotaku eps, the SAGCCX Team is probably going to take down the links to any shows that get on Netflix, and then if you can't use Netflix or live in a country where Netflix doesn't operate you're basically boned.

"Then move to America so you can pay for it you filthy lazy unappreciative pirate."

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Son Ryo posted:

I know you love to complain about meaningless crap but complaining about things that have not and will not happen is a new low for you. :thumbsup:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SpaceGodzilla posted:

"Then move to America so you can pay for it you filthy lazy unappreciative pirate."

Or, as pointed out above, use a proxy and watch it that way.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Son Ryo posted:

Yes, because this will also cause all the episodes which you have already downloaded to spontaneously delete themselves and disappear forever.

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"

Son Ryo posted:

Y'know, I get the sinking sensation that the episodes that would be going up on NetHuluRoll would be...

... wait for it...

... the same, already-licensed episodes that were on the DVD, and whose download links aren't up anyway.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Someone please find some 2ch GCCX nutjobs on the levels of the ones here I would love to see it.

Additionally come on no dub no dub no whammy no dub no whammy stop

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
Many of us are just worried that there will eventually be episodes which aren't on any English DVD and can only be watched on stream services, which, y'know, we can't do. If that never happens and the stream episodes are just the ones from the existing DVD then that's all well and good, but still, it's setting a dangerous precedent.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Why are people fighting when we don't even know what is going to happen :shobon:

SpaceGodzilla
Sep 24, 2012

I sure hope Godzilla-senpai notices me~

hello internet posted:

Why are people fighting when we don't even know what is going to happen :shobon:

Because lately this thread will take any opportunity to fight for some reason.

draks
Apr 29, 2009

here he comes
I wish dudes complaining about the unavailability of streaming services in their country would attempt to verify whether or not they can sign up for Netflix via the MediaHint plugin, since that'd lay some worries to rest :T I think Netflix has a trial or something that you could test with, maybe?

THOUGH I MEAN YEAH that's ignoring the fact that we don't even know if it's gonna be on Netflix specifically or if it'll involve episodes beyond those on the DVD. Kkkkinda doesn't seem like there's a whole lot of need for griping just yet...

TemporalParadox
Dec 21, 2003

*~blush~*
I had to look up crunchyroll because I had no idea what anyone was talking about. So it's some sort of Anime Netflix I guess? It sounds pretty niche, and GCCX doesn't contain any anime. Do they have any regular japanese shows on there?

Edit: I see it came to the 360 apparently, maybe it's just me that hasn't heard of it.

It doesn't really matter though, any english streaming service is going to be a big step up from what they have for exposure right now, which is one DVD and a slew of free fan youtube videos.

Hopefully they'd go for subtitles instead of the dub (I'm curious, was there actually any positive reception of it?), but even that doesn't really matter. It's still a big step forward for going international.

Also you're all a bunch of babies.

hello internet posted:

I don't know why they'd be fighting even if we did know.

TemporalParadox fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 18, 2013

InsaneDavid
Oct 22, 2012

NBHS posted:

Y'know, I get the sinking sensation that the episodes that would be going up on NetHuluRoll would be...

... wait for it...

... the same, already-licensed episodes that were on the DVD, and whose download links aren't up anyway.

This, especially if it goes to Netflix. How often does something get released exclusively to Netflix? Pretty much never as almost always it's just a streaming offer of something already available on a hard format. How often does something get released exclusively to Crunchyroll, halting all high quality fansub production overnight? Quite a bit, as any fan of Galaxy Express 999 will tell you.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

InsaneDavid posted:

How often does something get released exclusively to Netflix?
Kevin Spacey's latest series House of Cards was, just last month, and the fourth season of Arrested Development is about to be.
:goonsay:

Seriously, though, the odds are highly likely that, as with the vast majority of everything else on Netflix, streamed GCCX will consist of DVD GCCX. More of GCCX (especially when it can reach a broader audience) is always a good thing.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
If it is Netflix/CR then at least make it as international as possible (without a proxy). That is all I ask and I do not believe that to be unreasonable.

Krioni
Oct 9, 2012

TemporalParadox posted:

I had to look up crunchyroll because I had no idea what anyone was talking about. So it's some sort of Anime Netflix I guess? It sounds pretty niche, and GCCX doesn't contain any anime. Do they have any regular japanese shows on there?

They have a drama/live action side too on the site. It would fit in there perfectly,but maybe not as well known. I watch a lot of Japanese entertainment,which mostly consists of anime, so it was a better deal for me to get Crunchyroll and drop my Netflix. I got to the point where there wasn't much of anything I wanted to watch and the new content didn't interest me. We all have different tastes though. After reading some of the comments I'm a bit ashamed to be an American :doh:. I think it would be best to take a deep breath and wait it out for the official news. It does show us one thing though, we have some VERY passionate fans amongst us :hfive:

makere
Jan 14, 2012
It kind of blows my mind, how just couple years back, we were lucky to get even one subbed episode in year.

Now, there's over 100 subtitled episodes and we're fighting about which streaming service should we to watch the episodes in the near future...

Anyone else noticed how VOD service is THE reason why they took Youtube vids down?

makere fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 18, 2013

TemporalParadox
Dec 21, 2003

*~blush~*

makere posted:

Now, there's over 100 subtitled episodes and we're fighting about which streaming service should we to watch the episodes in the near future...

Anyone else noticed how this is THE reason why they took Youtube vids down?
What? No, I didn't notice the reason for taking youtube videos down being nerds fighting about it's future on an internet forum. Unless there's been some statement I don't know about, neither did you.

Krioni posted:

They have a drama/live action side too on the site. It would fit in there perfectly,but maybe not as well known.

Oh, alright. Granted I didn't look too deeply into the site, just checked out the main page and didn't see anything non-anime listed. Worst case scenario they go the bad dub route and put it exclusively on a niche service, but even that would be a step forward for them right now. It's all good.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

makere posted:

It kind of blows my mind, how just couple years back, we were lucky to get even one subbed episode in year.

Anyone else noticed how this is THE reason why they took Youtube vids down?

I think the point was that content being made exclusive to a streaming service that isn't available everywhere means some people won't be able to see the content at all, I don't think anyone cares about which service to watch as long as they can watch them.

Of course it's rather premature but still, looking at the discussion and comments it seems people here have a really hard time communicating without massive amounts of snark and :smug:.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Kanfy posted:

it seems people here have a really hard time communicating without massive amounts of snark and :smug:.

Goons will be goons.

I hope that regardless of what VoD service they choose that they offer the subbed version.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Oh man, 60+ replies in a day, they must have subbed some awesome episode can't wait to

:negative:

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"

PureRok posted:

Goons will be goons.

I hope that regardless of what VoD service they choose that they offer the subbed version.

If it ends up on Hulu or Crunchyroll, it'll most likely be the subs. They have enough of an audience for K-Dramas and old postwar Japanese films from the Criterion Collection that it's not really a stretch. I can't say one way or the other for Netflix, though.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world

Lurdiak posted:

Uh what, I never said I would be mad about not having the Tamage segments, hell I'm the one telling people it's not going to have it because they need to get the rights from the game companies and the Game Centers.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

ConanThe3rd posted:

If it is Netflix/CR then at least make it as international as possible (without a proxy). That is all I ask and I do not believe that to be unreasonable.

While it adds to the cost (an extra $5 a month), services like unblock-us are incredibly painless and don't interfere with anything other than Netflix. Once you program their DNS into your router all your devices automatically reroute Netflix to give you the U.S. content. If your internet-facing IP address changes all you have to do is go to unblock-us.com and there'll be a bar that pops up on top of the screen saying "oh it looks like your IP address changed, want to program the new one in?" it's trivially easy to overcome if you can afford the extra $5 on top of Netflix's $8.

It's definitely lovely that the legal solutions for Game Center CX have to play by regional restriction rules, but Japanese TV is the biggest legal minefield and I think has a significant hand to play in why non-Anime Japanese media is so rarely distributed outside of Japan. I'm pretty sure when they planned out the show's original concept they didn't even consider an eventual DVD release, and planned their structure around licensing for television, which is a lot easier to pull off in an "this will only air once" context, and you often have to start there to even get your show off the ground (see also: Mystery Science Theater 3000). Discotek likely only has distribution rights for the U.S., which is lovely and completely ridiculous in the internet age, but is still very much a fact of life, especially for Japanese media.

TemporalParadox
Dec 21, 2003

*~blush~*

Crotch Bat posted:

Oh man, 60+ replies in a day, they must have subbed some awesome episode can't wait to

:negative:

Great contribution to the thread.

NBHS posted:

If it ends up on Hulu or Crunchyroll, it'll most likely be the subs. They have enough of an audience for K-Dramas and old postwar Japanese films from the Criterion Collection that it's not really a stretch. I can't say one way or the other for Netflix, though.

Well there are subtitled foreign movies on netflix, but that doesn't necessarily mean much.

VV sorry if I hurt your feelings bud

TemporalParadox fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 18, 2013

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

TemporalParadox posted:

Great contribution to the thread.

Stellar addition. Be sure to call me a nerd next time, you burn everyone deep with those retorts.

NBHS posted:

I'd be shocked to see dubs, really. Wish there was an avenue to let them know how people feel regarding subs and dubs.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world
I doubt we will be seeing dubs, The only reason they were on the DVD was because they were done already. The rest of the episodes on the dvd that weren't the KOTAK episodes didn't have the English Narrator