Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I have no problem with failing because I am fully aware that this is an overly ambitious goal. I figure if I can get a large jump in skill up front which I probably will since a lot of that will be relearning things I've forgot I'll be good. I don't have to actually end up expert level in six months and if I make it half way to that goal in that time frame I'll consider that a relative win for me. Like all things in support, as long as I stay one step ahead of the clients' problems I'll be happy.

Thanks for all the advice you three, I really appreciate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Another thing you might want to do is idle in #linux or #fedora on Freenode and try to help out here and there, or ask questions until you feel confident enough to try to help someone.

evol262 posted:

Don't bother installing poo poo from source (maybe ./configure && make && make install on one or two very small projects). All that teaches you about is cryptic gcc/autoconf errors that you have to Google if it breaks, and almost nobody installs from source in the "real world"
I don't know about that, especially if you're at a web development shop who's using the latest version of a web server or load balancer, node, ruby, no-sql database, etc. that you're not going to find in the distributions repos. And the gcc/autoconf errors become a lot less cryptic when you've seen a bunch of them and realize they're all because you have the wrong version of something, or something for the wrong architecture, etc.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Bob Morales posted:

I don't know about that, especially if you're at a web development shop who's using the latest version of a web server or load balancer, node, ruby, no-sql database, etc. that you're not going to find in the distributions repos. And the gcc/autoconf errors become a lot less cryptic when you've seen a bunch of them and realize they're all because you have the wrong version of something, or something for the wrong architecture, etc.
If you're in a web development shop using the latest version of something, then sure, you could compile it from source. But you're equally likely to find that the package creators maintain repos (mongodb, nginx), tools exist specifically to obviate the need for you to mess with it (rvm, rbenv), package managers exist for its libraries (npm, rubygems), et al. On list of "use cases for compiling from source" I can think of, "the version of nginx in the repo doesn't have the option I need built in" qualifies, but building from source is so far outside the normal pattern of usage that it's not an essential skill now.

Yes, most autoconf/gcc errors can be resolved by "yum whatprovides '*/someheader.h'" after Googling to find out why "./configure --enable-some-feature" fails, but any shop that regularly compiles from source should have a buildbox, RPM .spec files, or similar. Can you build tmux by hand and put it in ~/bin? Sure. Do you need to? Probably not. Is it requisite? No. I don't even think the RHCE covers it any longer. Not that the RHCE is the end-all be-all of Linux administration, but it's saying something. It's a skill you can learn if you need to, but it's not part of the basics.

Saint Darwin posted:

Install a SVN server and get it working through httpd. Harden the server and use a suite to probe it or find a friend who knows how to do it and ask them. Get an rsync backup system in place and then cause a failure and restore it.
At this point, I'd almost say to use Gitorious or hgweb instead of SVN.

Saint Darwin posted:

My own unrelated issue I am dealing with:

This user can't get into one of our main servers via ssh. I've had her do -v and this is the output after she enters her password

After this, nothing happens, it just freezes.

There were hilarious things happening before like the presence of an RSA key on her machine that was being sent to the server, which didn't expect an RSA key and was halting at the key authentication stage (before it moved onto password), so I'm expecting some other awful nonsense to be at work.

/var/log/secure?

If you su to that user, what happens?

Checked her ~/.bashrc ~/.bash_profile ~/.profile ~/.cshrc (or the profile for whatever shell you source)? It may be dying there. If it's just this user, it's extremely likely that it's dying there.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Dameius posted:

I have no problem with failing because I am fully aware that this is an overly ambitious goal. I figure if I can get a large jump in skill up front which I probably will since a lot of that will be relearning things I've forgot I'll be good. I don't have to actually end up expert level in six months and if I make it half way to that goal in that time frame I'll consider that a relative win for me. Like all things in support, as long as I stay one step ahead of the clients' problems I'll be happy.

Thanks for all the advice you three, I really appreciate it.

If you know what types of things your clients are likely to be doing then trying to do them now would be a great idea. Asking how to learn "linux" is just a general a question as asking how to learn "windows". You typically want to learn how to do "X" in linux/windows/android/osx where X can include things such as: web development, remote system administration, local system administration, environment setup, etc.

Bob Morales posted:

Another thing you might want to do is idle in #linux or #fedora on Freenode and try to help out here and there, or ask questions until you feel confident enough to try to help someone.

In that case I highly recommend learning how to create packages from source instead. This lets you better automate upgrades because any specific upgrade procedures (rename variables in a .conf file, changing the layout of a database) can easily be done via some scripts that you include as part of the package instead of by hand on every different machine. You also won't need to have every build dependency installed on all the computers that need the software.

Longinus00 fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 15, 2013

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

evol262 posted:

But you're equally likely to find that the package creators maintain repos (mongodb, nginx), tools exist specifically to obviate the need for you to mess with it (rvm, rbenv), package managers exist for its libraries (npm, rubygems), et al.

We're on like 5 different versions of Rails between 20 apps on one server. Nobody ever thought to use RVM so things get broken. A lot. And Rails 4 just came out...

:smithicide:

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Bob Morales posted:

We're on like 5 different versions of Rails between 20 apps on one server. Nobody ever thought to use RVM so things get broken. A lot. And Rails 4 just came out...

:smithicide:

RVM is for that specific use case.

Install RVM.
Add it to the PATH of some test user.
Get a list of gems you need for one of the rails apps.
Set up a new RVM profile if you need 1.8 for one app and 1.9 for another.
Create a new rvm gemset.
Switch to it.
Install the gems you need (helpfully, you can "gem install -v 1.2.3 somegem"). Since you're a Rails shop, you should be using Bundler, Capistrano, or both. Use those to make your life easier.
Make sure rails works.
Change the init script to call "rvm use $whatever_version".
Bonus: you can now deploy it to a different server without worrying about whether or not Rails X.Y.Z breaks App A, because your environment is self-contained.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Go dig a p90 out of the trash and get gentoo running on there. You'll learn a lot.

A couple pages back someone posted instructions on how to convert Ubuntu to CentOS, that's a pretty good exercise as well. Personally I would install Gentoo, then convert it to cent, then to Ubuntu, back to cent, then set it up as a LAMP, and as someone suggested, get WordPress and Drupal working.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Hadlock posted:

Go dig a p90 out of the trash and get gentoo running on there. You'll learn a lot.
Are you implying that he should run Gentoo-PPC?

Hadlock posted:

A couple pages back someone posted instructions on how to convert Ubuntu to CentOS, that's a pretty good exercise as well. Personally I would install Gentoo, then convert it to cent, then to Ubuntu, back to cent, then set it up as a LAMP, and as someone suggested, get WordPress and Drupal working.
Did I completely miss this? It's a non-trivial process to "convert" distros, unless you mean "reinstall".

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

evol262 posted:

Are you implying that he should run Gentoo-PPC?

Did I completely miss this? It's a non-trivial process to "convert" distros, unless you mean "reinstall".

The Pentium 90 went in to about half the Dell workstations that were shipped for a couple years. Since there's no goofy mmx, pro or sse instructions, it's a good machine to try and build for, but is still well supported and (relatively) easy to find.

Unless I misunderstood the post a few pages back, that's what he described. I'll double check later tonight if I get a chance. Maybe he will chime in here before then.

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really

Hadlock posted:

The Pentium 90 went in to about half the Dell workstations that were shipped for a couple years. Since there's no goofy mmx, pro or sse instructions, it's a good machine to try and build for, but is still well supported and (relatively) easy to find.

Unless I misunderstood the post a few pages back, that's what he described. I'll double check later tonight if I get a chance. Maybe he will chime in here before then.

Suggesting someone convert between distros to learn linux is like suggesting they drive off a cliff to learn to drive.

In reality, the way to "learn linux" is to use it.

Set up a home server, use it as a nas, a web development box, irc from it, a media center, a game server.
Do everything you would do on any other computer.

edit: you should be sshing in to do these things, just thought I should add that.

edit2: also a p90 is going to be painful as hell with a modern distro, because of a lack of ram, don't do that

astropika fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 15, 2013

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

astropika posted:

Suggesting someone convert between distros to learn linux is like suggesting they drive off a cliff to learn to drive.

More like performing an organ transplant as a means of learning anatomy. I suppose it's technically possible but expect to leave a few cadavers in your wake.

I also agree using a pentium 90 is a pretty terrible idea. VMs are easy and free so just use one until you feel comfortable enough to move to hardware without a "undo" button.

astropika
Jul 5, 2007
no, not really

Longinus00 posted:

More like performing an organ transplant as a means of learning anatomy. I suppose it's technically possible but expect to leave a few cadavers in your wake.

The organ in question is the appendix.

edit: because inplace converting between distros is something you would never ever ever ever ever ever want to do, ever.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Dameius posted:

Well I guess specifically it will be stuff related to Linux server environments. Aforementioned friend got a level 1 VPS for us to mess around in. So any guides on cool or essential things to do by bash commands to maintain a server would be cool. Learning about root access WHM right now and have pretty much mastered cPanel at this point minus any ancillary stuff like cronjobs scripting or MySQL work.

You haven't mastered CPanel till you start getting real customers on it asking for weird requirements and you have to reconfigure things with easyapache or add things not even included in easyapache. Also migrating accounts around and doing all that good stuff. I worked with CPanel servers for a 3-4 years and wouldn't say I completely mastered it. Learn how the update process works, how you switch between releases, how you add user custom apache configs, managing SSL keys, configuring php, adding extra modules etc.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Saint Darwin posted:

Install a SVN server and get it working through httpd. Harden the server and use a suite to probe it or find a friend who knows how to do it and ask them. Get an rsync backup system in place and then cause a failure and restore it.

My own unrelated issue I am dealing with:

This user can't get into one of our main servers via ssh. I've had her do -v and this is the output after she enters her password

There were hilarious things happening before like the presence of an RSA key on her machine that was being sent to the server, which didn't expect an RSA key and was halting at the key authentication stage (before it moved onto password), so I'm expecting some other awful nonsense to be at work.

Have her connect to a sshd on a high port with -dddd/-vvv whatever sshd wants -- that may give you the other half of the story.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Can someone please explain to me how to properly setup name based virtual hosts in apache2? For some reason I always have a brain fart when setting them up and end up just trying different things until they work correctly. I have a VPS with a single ip and I want to have something.domain.com go to one directory, something2.domain.com to go to a different one and do the same thing for HTTPS. I cant seem to make sense of vhost overlap and all that jazz and despite working in IT I always choke in this relatively simple thing.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

cr0y posted:

Can someone please explain to me how to properly setup name based virtual hosts in apache2? For some reason I always have a brain fart when setting them up and end up just trying different things until they work correctly. I have a VPS with a single ip and I want to have something.domain.com go to one directory, something2.domain.com to go to a different one and do the same thing for HTTPS. I cant seem to make sense of vhost overlap and all that jazz and despite working in IT I always choke in this relatively simple thing.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/vhosts/name-based.html

You can follow like the example:
code:
NameVirtualHost *:80

<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName www.domain.tld
ServerAlias domain.tld *.domain.tld
DocumentRoot /www/domain
</VirtualHost>

ServerName www.otherdomain.tld
DocumentRoot /www/otherdomain
</VirtualHost>
Replace ServerName entries with the subdomain, and forget about the ServerAlias unless you want multiple subdomains pointing to the same location. Replace DocumentRoot with whatever path you want for each. You can also use your specific IP instead of the * wildcard.

SSL may be tricky though:
http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/NameBasedSSLVHostsWithSNI

JHVH-1 fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 16, 2013

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

And is excluding the ServerName directive the way to have apache catch everything else?

edit: Actually looking back I only ever struggled with SSL and now that I have read up on the SSL handshake it makes sense why it's so wonky.

cr0y fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 16, 2013

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

JHVH-1 posted:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/vhosts/name-based.html

You can follow like the example:

NameVirtualHost *:80

ServerName https://www.domain.tld
ServerAlias domain.tld *.domain.tld
DocumentRoot /www/domain
</VirtualHost>

ServerName https://www.otherdomain.tld
DocumentRoot /www/otherdomain
</VirtualHost>

Replace ServerName entries with the subdomain, and forget about the ServerAlias unless you want multiple subdomains pointing to the same location. Replace DocumentRoot with whatever path you want for each. You can also use your specific IP instead of the * wildcard.

SSL may be tricky though:
http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/NameBasedSSLVHostsWithSNI

This but don't put the http://

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

spankmeister posted:

This but don't put the http://

Erm yeah sorry, the forum added that cause I just pasted it from the page.

You can run 'httpd -S' and get an idea of the order it loads things. If no entry is there specifically for a domain I am pretty sure it will load whatever is first.

telcoM
Mar 21, 2009
Fallen Rib

Saint Darwin posted:

[...authentication has been accepted, entering interactive session...]

Has the user customized his/her login script? My first guess would be a login script being stuck in an infinite loop or endless recursion.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

telcoM posted:

Has the user customized his/her login script? My first guess would be a login script being stuck in an infinite loop or endless recursion.

She did not

However I'm pretty sure it's something to do with NFS. All of our user's home directories on their machines are available as NFS shares in the /export/machinename/username directory (mounted with autofs), and when I su - username to this user, it hangs. If I ps aux | grep nfs, I see that it's trying to mount her directory and getting stuck.

It's an issue we've fixed by dropping down to NFSv3 since Red Hat themselves could not tell us why our systems would not work with 4, so I just have to change the configs on her system and it should be ok.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Saint Darwin posted:

She did not

However I'm pretty sure it's something to do with NFS. All of our user's home directories on their machines are available as NFS shares in the /export/machinename/username directory (mounted with autofs), and when I su - username to this user, it hangs. If I ps aux | grep nfs, I see that it's trying to mount her directory and getting stuck.

It's an issue we've fixed by dropping down to NFSv3 since Red Hat themselves could not tell us why our systems would not work with 4, so I just have to change the configs on her system and it should be ok.

strace is your friend there.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Is the user's shell what you expect?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Ninja Rope posted:

Is the user's shell what you expect?

It wasn't, because a home directory couldn't be found, so it gave me a bare assed sh

However, a coworker did ~something~ and it's all OK now. I've been bugging him to find out exactly what he did (since as far as I knew after downgrading the packages to fix the NFS problem, a reboot is required) but he's been busy.

nescience
Jan 24, 2011

h'okay
I'm using the user directory mod in Apache, how do I go about creating a public_html folder each time I use the adduser command? I remember seing this somewhere before but I'm unable to word the question right on Google.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

nescience posted:

I'm using the user directory mod in Apache, how do I go about creating a public_html folder each time I use the adduser command? I remember seing this somewhere before but I'm unable to word the question right on Google.

/etc/skel: http://www.linfo.org/etc_skel.html

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009

Saint Darwin posted:

It wasn't, because a home directory couldn't be found, so it gave me a bare assed sh

However, a coworker did ~something~ and it's all OK now. I've been bugging him to find out exactly what he did (since as far as I knew after downgrading the packages to fix the NFS problem, a reboot is required) but he's been busy.

Top secret trick: Check his and root's shell history.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Anyone play PSX games with PCSX-R? I'm going to setup my HTPC with it and would love it if someone could provide me with the config files it uses.

All I really need is someone to install and run it real quick with the plugins/bios loaded to generate the files, don't need to even run a game.

http://pcsxr.codeplex.com/

Edit: Sorted it out

Ashex fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 19, 2013

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I installed some updates and restarted my computer and now my monitor's resolution is hosed up so that I can't see the launcher or status bar, and I can't fix it under settings. I can't access the dashboard, I can't run any of my apps (posting from my phone), and I can't restart the computer except manually. What can I do? How can I fix this? Ubuntu 12.10.

e: I fixed it. I had switched from the Noveau plugin to the proprietary NVidia plugin, which misidentified my monitor as a laptop monitor after I restarted my computer. I switched back to Noveau, restarted again, and all's well. I was really panicking for a minute, though.

razorrozar fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 19, 2013

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Your first act is to press ctrl + alt + F2

If that doesn't help at all I got nothin'

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
^^ Thanks for the tip, I'll remember that in future. I'm sure I'll need it again.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Is there any notable performance gains from the various distro for Linux? I'm running Ubuntu 13.04 (I learn by being forced to fix problems) with the Gnome 3 shell. Is there any difference between lets say Linux Mint with Gnome 3 over Ubuntu ? As far as I'm able to read and see from YouTube videos is the difference lays in the Cinnamon desktop environment being much more customizable than Unity and codecs being installed natively since they use a larger .iso. Is there more to it than this?

Being a newbie to Linux has been an interesting experience. Even an "unstable" build like Ubuntu 13.04 is more problem free than my Windows 8 install.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

YouTuber posted:

Is there any notable performance gains from the various distro for Linux? I'm running Ubuntu 13.04 (I learn by being forced to fix problems) with the Gnome 3 shell. Is there any difference between lets say Linux Mint with Gnome 3 over Ubuntu ? As far as I'm able to read and see from YouTube videos is the difference lays in the Cinnamon desktop environment being much more customizable than Unity and codecs being installed natively since they use a larger .iso. Is there more to it than this?

Being a newbie to Linux has been an interesting experience. Even an "unstable" build like Ubuntu 13.04 is more problem free than my Windows 8 install.

Not really, unless a certain distro comes with a better/newer driver for your video card or uses less eye candy. Something with a stripped down desktop like LXDE instead of GNOME 3 will run faster and take up less RAM but it won't be huge. If you have an older system (Pentium 4, Core Duo, system with just 1GB RAM) it can be worth it. I use Unity 2D in Ubuntu 12.04 just because it 'feels' faster and seems like less resources are being used according to top.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
You can use something like LXDE, but that doesn't have compositing, so you'll see flashes as you move windows around, and you can't make windows transparent. GNOME 3 (or another compositing window manager like Unity) may run faster on modern hardware simply because it has to do less and wake up less programs to repaint.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Suspicious Dish posted:

You can use something like LXDE, but that doesn't have compositing, so you'll see flashes as you move windows around, and you can't make windows transparent. GNOME 3 (or another compositing window manager like Unity) may run faster on modern hardware simply because it has to do less and wake up less programs to repaint.

It's not so much hardware being the problem. I have 12gb of ram and a quad core on this computer. It was a more nebulous question along the lines of would it be a vast improvement such as say switching from Vista to Windows 7 before Vista had a lot of service packs attached to it's name. I see a lot of articles talking about how Ubuntu is slow switch to this or that distro for the best experience. But It's hard seperating the near religious fervor and fact for the flavors of Linux.

However, I have a junk computer that I intend to let my 6-9 year old nephews screw with. It's about a 1.5ghz single core with 512mb ram dell computer with an unknown video card. I believe the best distro would be Lubuntu for this?

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 20, 2013

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Try to get at least 1GB in there since even lUbuntu takes about 300MB for a blank desktop. Firefox and Chrome will still need a bunch of RAM

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Any older computer these days, unless it's like pre-2000 old, the bottleneck is probably going to be web apps more than the desktop environment.

Nebulon Gate
Feb 23, 2013
Anyone have speed comparisons for CentOS vs. Ubuntu servers?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Cartesian_Duelist posted:

Again, the differences there will be because of kernel versions and versions of software like Apache/MySQL

If you want to see some distro vs distro benchmarks, look to Phoronix.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTI4NzQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Cartesian_Duelist posted:

I am personally biased against Ubuntu servers, because Canonical's priority #1 target seems to be the Linux Desktop and they'll make any breaking changes they need to get there. Red Hat, on the other hand, measures their support for RHEL on a particularly long timespan, so regardless of speed difference (which will surely be infinitesimally small), I'd go with CentOS.