Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abiggoat
Feb 21, 2008

Kill yourself!

That's where things where going wrong for me I figured out. I got supernexus working, but didn't really get on with it.

Did Cyanogen ever fix the media scanning in their 4.1? All I remember from it is my battery taking a dive due to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009
This is probably a long shot, but does anyone know of a HTC sensation 4g ROM that has the option for the on-screen buttons? After replacing the digitizer the capacitive buttons don't function anymore, but the phone would work great if I could use on-screen buttons instead. I haven't had any luck looking for one, I can't imagine it's a popular feature. It was an option on my motorola defy with the CM 10 rom however, so I know it's possible.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Walrusmaster posted:

This is probably a long shot, but does anyone know of a HTC sensation 4g ROM that has the option for the on-screen buttons? After replacing the digitizer the capacitive buttons don't function anymore, but the phone would work great if I could use on-screen buttons instead. I haven't had any luck looking for one, I can't imagine it's a popular feature. It was an option on my motorola defy with the CM 10 rom however, so I know it's possible.

If you have a modern AOSP apparently this (warning: XDA) is supposed to be universal to any 4.1 AOSP ROM, no idea if it works on 4.2.

edit: Some posts linking to that only call it universal for SGS3s, others seem to indicate overall universality. I can't see how it could gently caress anything up permanently though, so I'd say just nandroid, flash it, and hope for the best. Worst case is restoring from backup.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 14, 2013

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Any other N4 bros still having Android OS showing >50% of battery usage running CM10.1?
10.1-20130303 through 10.1-20130313
Franco #97 & Franco #102

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I got tired of waiting for Verizon to get off their rear end and get me updates so I have been on CM10.1 for a while now. This is all a bit newish to me, what happens when they finally release the Galaxy Nexus OTA? Will I get an annoying notification or is it something that can be dismissed?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

wolrah posted:

If you have a modern AOSP apparently this (warning: XDA) is supposed to be universal to any 4.1 AOSP ROM, no idea if it works on 4.2.

edit: Some posts linking to that only call it universal for SGS3s, others seem to indicate overall universality. I can't see how it could gently caress anything up permanently though, so I'd say just nandroid, flash it, and hope for the best. Worst case is restoring from backup.
This will not work on your Sensation. It will only work on a SGS3.

8th-samurai posted:

I got tired of waiting for Verizon to get off their rear end and get me updates so I have been on CM10.1 for a while now. This is all a bit newish to me, what happens when they finally release the Galaxy Nexus OTA? Will I get an annoying notification or is it something that can be dismissed?
You'll never even know about it.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

LastInLine posted:

Good, I'm quite happy with CM10.1 nightlies and I already have the new radios.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

8th-samurai posted:

Good, I'm quite happy with CM10.1 nightlies and I already have the new radios.
Yeah I forgot about maybe wanting VZW radio updates. Just keep an ear to the ground when updates hit and you'll flash the radio just as you've been doing but you'll get no notification of a system update on the device itself.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

LastInLine posted:

Yeah I forgot about maybe wanting VZW radio updates. Just keep an ear to the ground when updates hit and you'll flash the radio just as you've been doing but you'll get no notification of a system update on the device itself.

The radios are already up in the Verizon Galaxy Nexus section of XDA, I'm guessing from the testing version. I wasn't sure how the OTA thing worked since I was on stock the last time Verizon felt like releasing one.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

8th-samurai posted:

The radios are already up in the Verizon Galaxy Nexus section of XDA, I'm guessing from the testing version. I wasn't sure how the OTA thing worked since I was on stock the last time Verizon felt like releasing one.
Radio updates for the VZW Galaxy Nexus have changed before between a leak and a release, so don't just assume because you got the leaked radio that you got the final one. After an official release comes out, check XDA again and if there's a new radio they'll have a flashable version.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Is the tether app in the OP still the best one for a S3 on 10.1 nightlies or is there a different one people prefer now?

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Are there any plans for a new thread since the OP has been banned for three months?

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009

LastInLine posted:

This will not work on your Sensation. It will only work on a SGS3.

Thank you both for your help. After trying 9 ROMs I finally found a version of AOKP that had the option AND wasn't horribly buggy.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Goetta posted:

Is the tether app in the OP still the best one for a S3 on 10.1 nightlies or is there a different one people prefer now?

I am also interested in the answer to this question.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

SeaborneClink posted:

Any other N4 bros still having Android OS showing >50% of battery usage running CM10.1?
10.1-20130303 through 10.1-20130313
Franco #97 & Franco #102

Try using just the stock CM kernel. I've been doing that on both my VZW Gnexus and my N4, and couldn't be happier.

I got pretty sick of Franco.kernel after just having sluggish and slow as gently caress all performance on both devices, plus seeing him add/remove poo poo in changelogs every goddamn time and saying "HOPEFULLY THIS HELPS NOW"

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
My wakelock issues stopped 2 nightlies ago on my N4.

Anonomono
Mar 12, 2013

Goetta posted:

CM10.1 has built-in tethering that works like Wi-Fi Tether.apk. Sprint hasn't seen any tethering data with it on.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Alright so I did something dumb and basically ruined the firmware. No big deal, I made a backup :v: Unfortunately I'm a big idiot and the only nandroid backup I have is on my PC (didn't make one with clockworkmod). I'm unable to go into settings to enable ADB, and I have a Galaxy Nexus (internal SD card) so seemingly no way to access /sdcard/ and put the backup there so I can restore it with ClockworkMod.

Is there any way out of this or am I just boned?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
IIRC ADB is always enabled in recovery for exactly this sort of thing. Some recoveries on some devices also support some form of USB mount or MTP, but no idea there.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

wolrah posted:

IIRC ADB is always enabled in recovery for exactly this sort of thing. Some recoveries on some devices also support some form of USB mount or MTP, but no idea there.

Huh you're right. Don't know why I didn't think to try that.

e: using Nexus Root Toolkit to restore the backup didn't work because the phone got caught in an infinite FC loop while starting up. Gonna try to push the backup into the ClockworkMod folder and try restoring in CM, maybe that will work.

If not, from what I can tell Odin Mode is basically a last resort for this sort of thing but I have absolutely no idea how to use that.

e: yeah that didn't work. Looks like using Odin to reflash is my only option. Now I have to figure out how the heck to do that (and hopefully not screw anything else up)

fisting by many fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Mar 15, 2013

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Crovie posted:

e: yeah that didn't work. Looks like using Odin to reflash is my only option. Now I have to figure out how the heck to do that (and hopefully not screw anything else up)

Odin is pretty easy - just plug the phone in, put the image file in the slot and hit flash or whatever the start button is. They used to have poo poo like pit files and poo poo but if you just want to flash the factory image for your toro its pretty much a one file thing nowadays.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Bought a Samsung Galaxy S2 - I'm on Virgin Mobile, so it was the best available Android option - rooted it in like five minutes flat, it was super easy.

Now I have exactly one issue. Whenever I go to turn off my phone, it pops up this helpful prompt:

...and I would really really like it to go away. There's a similar one for "reboot phone", too. I know it's only one click, but I never hit those options by accident and I think I will reboot my phone enough over its lifetime to really justify digging into how to do it. Been trying to Google it for a while, but the prompt is so generic that it turns up a bunch of unrelated topics and nothing helpful. Is there an option to remove it that isn't "install custom firmware"? I want to at least get used to the default firmware before I do anything too radical. (That's the technophobe in me talking.)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Entire Universe posted:

Odin is pretty easy - just plug the phone in, put the image file in the slot and hit flash or whatever the start button is. They used to have poo poo like pit files and poo poo but if you just want to flash the factory image for your toro its pretty much a one file thing nowadays.
You never need Odin on a Nexus. As long as you can reach the bootloader you can reflash a stock image.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Bought a Samsung Galaxy S2 - I'm on Virgin Mobile, so it was the best available Android option - rooted it in like five minutes flat, it was super easy.

Now I have exactly one issue. Whenever I go to turn off my phone, it pops up this helpful prompt:

...and I would really really like it to go away. There's a similar one for "reboot phone", too. I know it's only one click, but I never hit those options by accident and I think I will reboot my phone enough over its lifetime to really justify digging into how to do it. Been trying to Google it for a while, but the prompt is so generic that it turns up a bunch of unrelated topics and nothing helpful. Is there an option to remove it that isn't "install custom firmware"? I want to at least get used to the default firmware before I do anything too radical. (That's the technophobe in me talking.)

You've already spent more time researching it than you would just hitting the button every time. Why are you rebooting your phone so often? I suspect you'd have to dig down deep into the framework to get rid of it and I doubt anybody knows how.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Vykk.Draygo posted:

You've already spent more time researching it than you would just hitting the button every time. Why are you rebooting your phone so often? I suspect you'd have to dig down deep into the framework to get rid of it and I doubt anybody knows how.

I mean, I'm not rebooting too often, it just bothers me. And yes, I suspect you're right about total time investment, but that's a sunk cost so I'm not too torn up about it.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Honestly the first time you accidentally hit Power Off by grazing the screen on your way to mute the phone or whatever, you'll be pretty glad of that confirmation popup

Anyway you could try *#*#7594#*#* in your dialler, it's supposed to give you options to do instant power-off (I'm guessing it turns the power button into a straight power button rather than a menu without confirmations) but it doesn't work on my GNex and I have no idea if this lets you switch back to normal either. What I'm basically saying is try it at your own risk!

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Anonomono posted:

CM10.1 has built-in tethering that works like Wi-Fi Tether.apk. Sprint hasn't seen any tethering data with it on.

Thanks, I would never have thought to just look in the phone settings.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Is there any general reason a rooted LG Optimus Slide would randomly reset itself when I plug it into the charger? It doesn't do it when I hook it to the computer, only the wall charger. I'll be doing something, usually on Awful Betamax or browsing the internet, and notice it's getting low and plug it in, and it almost invariably goes to the boot screen and acts like it's rebooting without, as far as I can tell, actually powering off. If I keep using it after it comes back up, it usually happens a couple more times, especially if I've got a lot of tabs open in Opera. I'm on Android 2.3.4, I can never remember what letter that is.

Also my superuser app keeps telling me to update my su, then when I do it says the new one doesn't work. What's up with that?

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
This is a bit tenuous to rooting, but a few months ago wasn't there an installer to put a proper ARM based desktop ubuntu install on your nexus 7? Is that still available?

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Experto Crede posted:

This is a bit tenuous to rooting, but a few months ago wasn't there an installer to put a proper ARM based desktop ubuntu install on your nexus 7? Is that still available?

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-preinstalled/current/

I suggest using multirom as your recovery so that you can also keep your Android intact.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

I'm having some annoyances with trying to flash the latest CM10 ROM onto my galaxy tab 10.1. Its a PT-7500, I've currently gone from CM7 to the latest stock image and have been using clockwork mod to flash the new build. Problem is none of the nightlies will flash, I get an error regarding the p4 part of them. Based on reading Xda I'm guessing I'm missing the bootloader files or something for the newer builds. I've tried following the instructions there and flagging the new md5 files they list with Odin but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

On a possibly related/possibly unrelated note, I don't seem to be able to upgrade the clockwork mod recovery on my device either. Its on 4.0.something and I've got the latest .zip. If I run that while in cwmr then it will update but on reboot I'm straight back into the 4.0 build. Again flashing that zip with Odin doesn't seem to help and I can't seem to get it to update from inside cwm while the using the tablet.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.
On an S3 with Sprint, what is the best way to tether it? The only thing I want to do involving rooting is to enable tethering.

The OP doesn't seem to mention any new phones.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

mugrim posted:

On an S3 with Sprint, what is the best way to tether it? The only thing I want to do involving rooting is to enable tethering.

Yeah it might be a good idea to start a new thread with an OP that hasn't been banned for 2+ yrs

e: Anyways, I'm wondering what the best option for rooting a Galaxy Nexus. Is it possible to root without wiping everything? Is it possible to backup my phone without root?

I also want to have tethering on Sprint and might try a ROM such as CyanogenMod if there is any chance of making this battery last longer.

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 18, 2013

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

peepsalot posted:

Yeah it might be a good idea to start a new thread with an OP that hasn't been banned for 2+ yrs

e: Anyways, I'm wondering what the best option for rooting a Galaxy Nexus. Is it possible to root without wiping everything? Is it possible to backup my phone without root?
The best and only method is to unlock the bootloader (which wipes the phone), install a custom recovery, and flash a superuser. If you haven't unlocked yet it will wipe everything, them's the breaks. That's why you always unlock the bootloader as soon as you get the device. You can attempt ADB backup and restore but in my experience it's flaky and doesn't always work.

peepsalot posted:

I also want to have tethering on Sprint and might try a ROM such as CyanogenMod if there is any chance of making this battery last longer.
Battery life on CM is about what it is on stock on my GSM Galaxy Nexus. I wouldn't expect an improvement.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

I rooted my n7 for the first time recently and I went with paranoid android and cwm. I got a notification from too manager that a new update is available. Do I just run the zip in cwm over my current install? I just did a backup.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

mugrim posted:

There's PDANet if you are okay with it actually being tethered (via a USB cable) or possible bluetooth.

If you want WiFi tether, I believe it's broke on the S3 at the moment on Sprint. You can root it if you haven't already with this:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1746680

That's a very simple way.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2044225 That should be the fixed Wifi tether for the S3 that also works on Sprint. If not let me know; even though it says TMobile I thought that was the one I used.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

kstatix posted:

I rooted my n7 for the first time recently and I went with paranoid android and cwm. I got a notification from too manager that a new update is available. Do I just run the zip in cwm over my current install? I just did a backup.
Yes, just flash it over top with no wipe.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

mugrim posted:

I just re-rooted my S3 on a stock ROM (lost root applying the newest firmware) via this method (some of the software (Odin, Team Epic Root from Recovery) is newer than he shows in the video, but it still works just fine) and Wifi Tether works again.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

LastInLine posted:

Battery life on CM is about what it is on stock on my GSM Galaxy Nexus. I wouldn't expect an improvement.

My Verizon Gnex had poo poo battery life on stock (shocking) even with Juice Defender. I am regularly getting 24+ hours on CM with lean kernel and greenify as my only battery saving app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

uapyro posted:

There's PDANet if you are okay with it actually being tethered (via a USB cable) or possible bluetooth.

If you want WiFi tether, I believe it's broke on the S3 at the moment on Sprint. You can root it if you haven't already with this:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1746680

That's a very simple way.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2044225 That should be the fixed Wifi tether for the S3 that also works on Sprint. If not let me know; even though it says TMobile I thought that was the one I used.

That pdanet app is perfect but does not support an s3 from sprint. I'm going to have to root my phone for a tether, which has the added difficulty of being my only Internet device atm.