Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

RoeCocoa posted:

Does it get significantly better in the second half? It's taken me about six months to get through the first third of Insomnia; I'll read about ten pages, find some other book that I want to read more, read that all the way through, come back to Insomnia, rinse and repeat. It's not really terrible, and there was actual stuff happening in the chapter I just finished, but I don't know if I should bother finishing the book. (I read and mostly enjoyed the first three Dark Tower books, if that makes a difference.)

I stopped reading at page 628 in 1995 (I used a page from a phone bill to mark the place).

It's still sitting on the shelf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?

RoeCocoa posted:

Does it get significantly better in the second half? It's taken me about six months to get through the first third of Insomnia; I'll read about ten pages, find some other book that I want to read more, read that all the way through, come back to Insomnia, rinse and repeat. It's not really terrible, and there was actual stuff happening in the chapter I just finished, but I don't know if I should bother finishing the book. (I read and mostly enjoyed the first three Dark Tower books, if that makes a difference.)

It's totally worth reading, in my opinion. It really gets going after the first third. If you haven't gotten to where he starts seeing colors yet, you're in for a treat. After that happens it's pretty much non-stop action.

Mister Kingdom posted:

I stopped reading at page 628 in 1995

That seems like an odd place to stop, looking at my copy. Weren't you interested in what was down there?

Pheeets fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 15, 2013

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Pheeets posted:

If you haven't gotten to where he starts seeing colors yet, you're in for a treat. After that happens it's pretty much non-stop action.

He started seeing auras about 120 pages ago. The action has been very stop-and-go since then, but I'm going to stick with it for now.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

RoeCocoa posted:

He started seeing auras about 120 pages ago. The action has been very stop-and-go since then, but I'm going to stick with it for now.

Oh well, I hope you enjoy it, but your results may vary of course.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

RoeCocoa posted:

Be on the lookout for Gage's shoe from Pet Sematary.

Aatrek fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Mar 15, 2013

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Aatrek posted:

Be on the lookout for Gage's shoe from Pet Sematary.

:tviv:

I didn't associate the shoe with that book!

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I enjoyed Insomina, but that was in my 'read everything even tangentially related to DT' phase and Insomina was a proper DT side-story.

Or so it seemed at the time.LOL MINDTRAP LOL

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

The ending to ''The Mist'' was terrible. It's not a gently caress you to the audience, it's a ''these people are retarded.'' You run out of gas and so everyone kills themselves? Why? Why not try and and siphon some gas or take one of the hundreds of cars you passed on the way there and go on driving? If you can't do that, still, how big is the difference between shooting yourself and getting killed by a monster?

Then literally a minute later the army rolls up and is loving the monsters up and also the mist is clearing. Oh look, there's that mom that needed help getting home. She survived, no matter than anyone else that stepped out of the store got eaten within seconds. How ironic! Way to go special forces mom.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Pheeets posted:

That seems like an odd place to stop, looking at my copy. Weren't you interested in what was down there?

No. It had gotten to the point where every page was a chore to read.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

ravenkult posted:

The ending to ''The Mist'' was terrible. It's not a gently caress you to the audience, it's a ''these people are retarded.'' You run out of gas and so everyone kills themselves? Why? Why not try and and siphon some gas or take one of the hundreds of cars you passed on the way there and go on driving? If you can't do that, still, how big is the difference between shooting yourself and getting killed by a monster?

Then literally a minute later the army rolls up and is loving the monsters up and also the mist is clearing. Oh look, there's that mom that needed help getting home. She survived, no matter than anyone else that stepped out of the store got eaten within seconds. How ironic! Way to go special forces mom.

You're like the dude who wonders why Burgess Meredith couldn't just find a similar prescription in a blown out eyeglass store. The whole of The Mist is characters operating on extremely limited knowledge and under extreme duress; you cannot presume to offer advice to them.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

scary ghost dog posted:

You're like the dude who wonders why Burgess Meredith couldn't just find a similar prescription in a blown out eyeglass store. The whole of The Mist is characters operating on extremely limited knowledge and under extreme duress; you cannot presume to offer advice to them.

Within the context of the story, my ''advice'' makes perfect sense. They were already doing it, they just decided to stop.

The novella ending was better, is all I'm saying.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.

ravenkult posted:

If you can't do that, still, how big is the difference between shooting yourself and getting killed by a monster?

I'm not exactly defending their decisions, but as I recall, "killed by a monster" sometimes involved skull-spiders breeding inside your body and consuming you while you were still alive, so maybe pretty big. I think how quickly and neatly it wrapped up afterward was stupid though. Too idealized and unrealistically positive an outcome.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Locus posted:

I'm not exactly defending their decisions, but as I recall, "killed by a monster" sometimes involved skull-spiders breeding inside your body and consuming you while you were still alive, so maybe pretty big. I think how quickly and neatly it wrapped up afterward was stupid though. Too idealized and unrealistically positive an outcome.

Yeah I definitely get not wanting your son to be eaten alive. But still, he could have sacrificed himself and try and get another car.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Did anybody mention how Stephen King's sons are both releasing novels soon. End of march, Owen King's Double Feature and late April for Joe Hill's NOS4A2

ravenkult posted:

That isn't ironic, it's the entire point of the story.

There's two extreme groups. The people in the store that believe in Mrs. Carmody, who's spewing religious FUD about the end times, and our group of heroes, who are more pragmatic, that end up escaping.

Imagine being in the mist, driving until you ran out of gas and seeing the creatures they did. They had no resources and no idea if the mist ever ended. With only a few bullets left, do you risk trying to go outside into the unknown where you and everybody you love will (most likely) die a horrific death or do you let them go in as much peace as you can give them? They took the realistic way out. And the story spits in their face for doing it.

The ending specifically condemns anybody that surrenders to fear and gives up hope. That's the point of showing the mom from the beginning. She should be dead but it doesn't matter how she pulled it off because she never had a second thought about what she had to do (save her daughter) and she never gave up hope.

I agree that there should have been more time between the suicide and the mist clearing (they should have had it go on throughout the credits before having the coda play) but the ending fits well enough with novella.

hope

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

You may have a point (that I disagree with) but part of the effectiveness of the novella was simply not knowing either way.

Actually, I really do disagree, the whole pony of the novella was perseverance against all odds especially without knowing what lies ahead, the ending perfectly exemplifies this whereas the movies ending was a cheap shock thrill for audiences that are unable to accept an ambiguous ending and need everything neatly spelled out and shrinkwrapped for them.

Maybe I'm being a little spergy, but the novella has been one of my favorites since I was very young and I utter despised the ending of the movie.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

iostream.h posted:

You may have a point (that I disagree with) but part of the effectiveness of the novella was simply not knowing either way.

Actually, I really do disagree, the whole pony of the novella was perseverance against all odds especially without knowing what lies ahead, the ending perfectly exemplifies this whereas the movies ending was a cheap shock thrill for audiences that are unable to accept an ambiguous ending and need everything neatly spelled out and shrinkwrapped for them.

Maybe I'm being a little spergy, but the novella has been one of my favorites since I was very young and I utter despised the ending of the movie.
You're being a lot spergy. Check out this quote from the last bit of the novella. I hate giant spoiler blocks, but it's all very necessary.

quote:

I looked out the window to make sure it was gone and then opened the door. “What are you doing?” Amanda screamed, but I knew what I was doing. I like to think Ollie would have done exactly the same thing. I half-stepped, half-leaned out, and got the gun. Something came rapidly toward me, but I never saw it. I pulled back in and slammed the door shut. Amanda began to sob. Mrs. Reppler put an arm around her and comforted her briskly. Billy said, “Are we going home, Daddy?” “Big Bill, we're gonna try.” “Okay,” he said quietly. I checked the gun and then put it into the glove compartment. Ollie had reloaded it after the expedition to the drugstore. The rest of the shells had disappeared with him, but that was all right. He had fired at Mrs. Carmody, he had fired once at the clawed thing, and the gun had discharged once when it hit the ground. There were four of us in the Scout, but if push came right down to shove, I'd find some other way out for myself.

If you think the ending of the movie goes against the text as it's written, you're ignoring the whole point of this quote. He risks exposure to the beasts in the mist to get the gun specifically so it can be used to do what he does in the movie.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Here's another block of spoiler quote from the end of the book.

quote:

The Scout has enough gas to take us maybe another ninety miles. The alternative is to try to gas up here; there is an Exxon out on the service island, and although the power is off, I believe I could siphon some up from the tank. But

But it means being outside. If we can get gas-here or further along-we'll keep going. I have a destination in mind now, you see. It's that last thing I wanted to tell you about. I couldn't be sure. That is the thing, the damned thing. It might have been my imagination, nothing but wish fulfillment. And even if not, it is such a, long chance. How many miles? How many bridges? How many things that would love to tear up my son and eat him even as he screamed in terror and agony? The chances are so good that it was nothing but a daydream that I haven't told the others... at least, not yet.

So in the movie, what he says is probably going to happen, does happen. And what he's planning to do if it all does happen, he does. That's the straight poo poo from the book.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

cheerfullydrab posted:

You're being a lot spergy. Check out this quote from the last bit of the novella. I hate giant spoiler blocks, but it's all very necessary.

If you think the ending of the movie goes against the text as it's written, you're ignoring the whole point of this quote. He risks exposure to the beasts in the mist to get the gun specifically so it can be used to do what he does in the movie.

Eh I've also been medicated and bedridden for a week post-surgery so forgive me, I'm bored and kind of stoned (and I cut back on my pain meds today which probably has me a little argumentative), no offense intended.

That's a good point about what you've quoted, however I will in turn refer you to my previously quoted line about 'the national guard does not show up at the end of this story' phrase from earlier in the story, which is more what I had in mind.

Honestly for me, I think it's more that I tend to prefer open endings in general and that was part of the allure of the novella in the first place for me. I do still disagree with you, but that disagreement is specifically based on what I enjoyed and perceived the novella to be about in the first place. Friends?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

iostream.h posted:

Eh I've also been medicated and bedridden for a week post-surgery so forgive me, I'm bored and kind of stoned (and I cut back on my pain meds today which probably has me a little argumentative), no offense intended.

That's a good point about what you've quoted, however I will in turn refer you to my previously quoted line about 'the national guard does not show up at the end of this story' phrase from earlier in the story, which is more what I had in mind.

Honestly for me, I think it's more that I tend to prefer open endings in general and that was part of the allure of the novella in the first place for me. I do still disagree with you, but that disagreement is specifically based on what I enjoyed and perceived the novella to be about in the first place. Friends?

And may we meet again, in the clearing, at the end of the path.

AKA Howard Johnson's.

dirtgolem
Dec 22, 2011

Wounds are always fresh and so the scabs are never dry
Gutter is the place in which we choose to live our lives
Square inside a circle is the symbol in my eye
Home is where the gutter is and this is where I'll die
I finished reading Full Dark, No Stars just last night. I haven't enjoyed reading a book so much in years. King lost me with Under the Dome, I hated that book because of the lovely lazy bullshit Alien device. But Full Dark, No Stars - those four short stories nailed it for me.

So I just picked up my old worn paper back copy of The Dark Tower Volume (whatever lets just get this over with). I seem to read that 'sucker in 7 parts', part by part. So I've picked it up again starting at part 3 and this seems to be where the van hits.

I don't know how long I can keep reading this. Maybe I'll get to Part 4 and put it down for another 6 months.

dirtgolem fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 18, 2013

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

iostream.h posted:

Friends, definitely. I also really enjoyed the novella from a young age. I was also very disappointed at the movie ending when I first saw it. But I mean, when you think about it, the ending to the novella isn't really ambiguous. It's not actually open ended. He's not going to be able to get more gas in the car. I still don't like the National Guard and mist lifting stuff in the movie though, I'm with you on that.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

I just got back from the Goodwill store. For the princely sum of one dollar, I bought a good condition copy of the Bachman Books, featuring "Rage". :smuggo:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

h210679 posted:

I finished reading Full Dark, No Stars just last night. I haven't enjoyed reading a book so much in years. King lost me with Under the Dome, I hated that book because of the lovely lazy bullshit Alien device. But Full Dark, No Stars - those four short stories nailed it for me.

So I just picked up my old worn paper back copy of The Dark Tower Volume (whatever lets just get this over with). I seem to read that 'sucker in 7 parts', part by part. So I've picked it up again starting at part 3 and this seems to be where the van hits.

I don't know how long I can keep reading this. Maybe I'll get to Part 4 and put it down for another 6 months.

Call Under The Dome whatever you like, but lazy it ain't.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Patchwork Shaman posted:

I just got back from the Goodwill store. For the princely sum of one dollar, I bought a good condition copy of the Bachman Books, featuring "Rage". :smuggo:

I have six of them, in various states and conditions. Just in case. I'd like to one day find the fabled standalone version.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

scary ghost dog posted:

I agree. I understand what King was going for, I just didn't enjoy it as an explanation.

dirtgolem
Dec 22, 2011

Wounds are always fresh and so the scabs are never dry
Gutter is the place in which we choose to live our lives
Square inside a circle is the symbol in my eye
Home is where the gutter is and this is where I'll die

scary ghost dog posted:

Don't get me wrong, I got right in to about three quarters of the book and for the most part, enjoyed the individual characters running around loving with each other while the town was in lock down. Then... alien device. That's the lazy part..

I may just be pissed off for allowing myself to enjoy most of it only to be disappointed by the easy ending but, it is what it is. -_-

dirtgolem fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Mar 19, 2013

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

h210679 posted:

Don't get me wrong, I got right in to about three quarters of the book and for the most part, enjoyed the individual characters running around loving with each other while the town was in lock down. Then... alien device. That's the lazy part..

I may just be pissed off for allowing myself to enjoy most of it only to be disappointed by the easy ending but, it is what it is. -_-

I sometimes wish SK would be lazier, and not try to explain the cause. Just have the dome wink out. Or not.

He understands what a paltry thing endings are (he writes brilliantly about this near the end of the Dark Tower) but he keeps trying to come up with concrete explanations for things. The alien device is utterly inconsequential to the story being told. For "lazy" in that story I go with the cartoonishly evil bad guy.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.

rypakal posted:

I sometimes wish SK would be lazier, and not try to explain the cause. Just have the dome wink out. Or not.

He understands what a paltry thing endings are (he writes brilliantly about this near the end of the Dark Tower) but he keeps trying to come up with concrete explanations for things. The alien device is utterly inconsequential to the story being told. For "lazy" in that story I go with the cartoonishly evil bad guy.

"From A Buick 8" is basically about that, except it's better than the Dark Tower essay because it doesn't punish readers for wanting to keep reading the kind of series The Dark Tower started out as. Honestly I see where King was coming from, but I think he was just too tired of the series to really see things from a new reader's perspective.

And yeah to me "Under The Dome" had lazier one-dimensional characters than any of his other books. I thought the dome's source was fine, and it could have been anything, since it wasn't the focus of the story.

janklow
Sep 28, 2001

whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent.

rypakal posted:

I have six of them, in various states and conditions. Just in case. I'd like to one day find the fabled standalone version.
and in case you're even worried that having that many copies of the Bachman Books is a little weird, i think i'm in the same boat (although i don't know if i have SIX copies).

Tojai
Aug 31, 2008

No, You're Wrong
I got surprised with a copy of Imajica, so The Dark Tower is going to be on hold for now.

I brought up Stephen King during my coffee break today and was pretty taken aback by a couple of people's responses to 11/22/63. I live in Texas and all but I didn't think King was all that hard on Dallas. In the afterword King says pretty much the same thing, that he thought all things considered he went easy on 1960s Dallas. Nobody seems to have read Under the Dome but I imagine that wouldn't go over very well either.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

rypakal posted:

Yeah, I would have definitely preferred it if he had just left the source unexplained, because I was really enjoying the book until the end: IT WAS ALIENS :iiam: . I mean, like a previous poster said, it WAS kinda interesting that they weren't a malevolent alien race bent on destroying Earth; it was just some alien kid dicking around .

So, Lisey's Story : was I the only one who kinda liked this one? :shobon: Excluding the gross can-opener bit and the "BAD-SMUCKY MANDABUNNY" talk, I actually kinda liked it. The ending must not have been too great since I can barely remember what happened, it's been four or five years since I've read it. But I do remember some of the parts that involved Lisey grieving over Scott genuinely made me :smith:. I actually much prefer Lisey to Mike Noonan from Bag of Bones, some of his scenes involving Mattie were kinda scummy. What was the comment about being inside her would be like sticking his dick in mud? Really? Was this supposed to be sexy? :stare: C'mon, Steve-o. Not to mention his weird wet dream involving her and his dead wife.. :wtc:

Tojai
Aug 31, 2008

No, You're Wrong
I didn't hate Lisey's Story, and even reread it recently. It's not a masterpiece by any means, and I still don't really like Lisey, but there were compelling parts of the story too, especially Scott's bits. The whole world of Booya Moon and especially the Long Boy fascinated me. Didn't King write a story about people seeing something out of the corner of their eyes in a mirror and later disappearing? I wonder if this is where they went.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The only thing I clearly remember about Lisey's Story was the phrase "big sissy manda-bunny" and I dont even loving know if thats actually correct.

And yes King had that story called "The Reaper's Image" or something like that about about people seeing stuff in a mirror and dying.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I really hated Lisey's Story. That baby language poo poo got old fast.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

ravenkult posted:

I really hated Lisey's Story. That baby language poo poo got old fast.

What the smuck are you talking about, babyluv?

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

oldpainless posted:

The only thing I clearly remember about Lisey's Story was the phrase "big sissy manda-bunny" and I dont even loving know if thats actually correct.

And yes King had that story called "The Reaper's Image" or something like that about about people seeing stuff in a mirror and dying.

They don't die. They just...disappear. :ohdear:

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
I liked that the aliens in Under the Dome were related to Pennywise in some form, seeing how the symbol on the door before Pennywise's lair and the symbol on the alien whatever it was was the same. I don't think that I would have quite liked it as much as I did if that little hint wasn't in there. It made them a lot more sinister, it's just too bad no one besides King nerds would probably pick up on it because it's kind of obscure.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Troposphere posted:

I liked that the aliens in Under the Dome were related to Pennywise in some form, seeing how the symbol on the door before Pennywise's lair and the symbol on the alien whatever it was was the same. I don't think that I would have quite liked it as much as I did if that little hint wasn't in there. It made them a lot more sinister, it's just too bad no one besides King nerds would probably pick up on it because it's kind of obscure.

I didn't know about this, the only thing I've read about the book so far to make me dislike the ending! I'm a big fan of the baby alien toy resolution, because the whole book is about people unknowingly affecting others with their actions, and who unknowingly affects others more than children? If the alien kid is from the same place as Pennywise then childish curiosity becomes pure malevolence and that changes everything for me!

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

I didn't know about this, the only thing I've read about the book so far to make me dislike the ending! I'm a big fan of the baby alien toy resolution, because the whole book is about people unknowingly affecting others with their actions, and who unknowingly affects others more than children? If the alien kid is from the same place as Pennywise then childish curiosity becomes pure malevolence and that changes everything for me!

What if it was just Pennywise's stupid kid messing around? Also, King loves throwing in random tidbits from other books, it doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

"Can we have a bit of decorum on this forum?"

Tojai posted:

I didn't hate Lisey's Story, and even reread it recently. It's not a masterpiece by any means, and I still don't really like Lisey, but there were compelling parts of the story too, especially Scott's bits. The whole world of Booya Moon and especially the Long Boy fascinated me. Didn't King write a story about people seeing something out of the corner of their eyes in a mirror and later disappearing? I wonder if this is where they went.

The only parts of Lisey's Story I liked were the descriptions of Boo'ya Moon and the myth-pool/ampitheater with the people sitting around it, fascinated by its depths. Even the idea that there were dead people sitting on those stone benches, still fascinated, was compelling. I wished there had been more of it, and less smucking smuck.

I also wanted to know more about Scott's family -- King hinted at the Landreaus having to leave France due to some sort of lycanthropy/"bad gunky," and that interested me, as well. He said something like, "They all had to leave that money and property behind..."