Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

BeanTaco posted:

Hope you made it clear to that fisherman what a motherfucker he is.

I hope there's a circle in hell for people who abuse animals. I can't fathom how you manage to hook a heron at a city pond unless it's deliberate or a special kind of retarded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Had a great afternoon at the park yesterday, although the Bohemian Waxwings were up a bit too high in the trees for my 300mm lens, but I'm sure that won't be the case for long as they all migrate back through my area in the next few weeks.

White-breasted Nuthatch by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Downy Woodpecker by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Black-capped Chickadee by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Red-breasted Nuthatch by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Red-breasted Nuthatch by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Bohemian Waxwings by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Bohemian Waxwing by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Best shot I could get of this Flicker - first time I've seen one, wasn't sure how close I could get

Yellow-shafted Northern Flicker by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Woodpecker that you can get ridiculously close to:

Pileated Woodpecker by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Pileated Woodpeckers by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Not a great pic, but until someone proves me wrong I am making (the most likely outlandish) claim that these 3 pileated woodpeckers being photographed together is the most amount of adult pileateds ever photographed at the same time.

3 Pileated Woodpeckers by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I feel inadequate following that post. Those are awesome.

I'm back in Wyoming for another couple of months. No sage-grouse pictures yet this year- this is the closest to a bird shot so far.

Prairie_Falcon_FullSize 1030 on Flickr

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Trying to shoot birds while I have my 100mm 2.8 on is difficult to say the least, but holy crap it's sharp as hell.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Some harriers and kites from the marsh this week:

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
A camera club judge would criticize not having the bird fill the frame and give you a crap score, but I reckon that's a pretty good image.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

neckbeard posted:

Not a great pic, but until someone proves me wrong I am making (the most likely outlandish) claim that these 3 pileated woodpeckers being photographed together is the most amount of adult pileateds ever photographed at the same time.

Haha that's awesome! I very rarely ever see pileated around here, I think the last time I actually photographed one was like 2 1/2 years ago. I'm envious!

My 300 was a bit too long for a setup I tried a few days ago but the northern cardinal was willing to play along:

A cedar waxwing

More tufted titmouse

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

neckbeard posted:

Had a great afternoon at the park yesterday, although the Bohemian Waxwings were up a bit too high in the trees for my 300mm lens, but I'm sure that won't be the case for long as they all migrate back through my area in the next few weeks.

I don't recall ever seeing or hearing of anyone ever photographing more than two Pileated Woodpeckers in the same tree or even immediate area. I've always assumed they are mating pairs when seen together so I'm curious who the third wheel is. Last year's chick, perhaps?

You're in Edmonton, right? When I was there at the end of March 2012 I drove around northeast of the city looking for a couple raptors that had been reported there. I didn't find them, but I came across a large flock of Waxwings hawking insects by the road. They were right at eye level, not skittish and within thirty feet. I believe the spot I saw them was here, but I suspect you might have some luck anywhere you could find low-traffic roads with low brush around wet areas that hold insects. The weather was the first warm weather of last spring, from my understanding, so that probably brought out a lot of the insects.

Alberta Bohemian Waxwing by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

I'll hopefully have some good shots to post once I go through my photos from Belize. Central america is essentially paradise for anyone who loves birds.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I'll hopefully have some good shots to post once I go through my photos from Belize. Central america is essentially paradise for anyone who loves birds.

Holy crap, nice shot!

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

BeastOfExmoor posted:

This is so good.

Here's some random crap.

small-2535 by jankyangles, on Flickr

small-2571 by jankyangles, on Flickr

wooooooo sliders

small-2493 by jankyangles, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I don't recall ever seeing or hearing of anyone ever photographing more than two Pileated Woodpeckers in the same tree or even immediate area. I've always assumed they are mating pairs when seen together so I'm curious who the third wheel is. Last year's chick, perhaps?

You're in Edmonton, right? When I was there at the end of March 2012 I drove around northeast of the city looking for a couple raptors that had been reported there. I didn't find them, but I came across a large flock of Waxwings hawking insects by the road. They were right at eye level, not skittish and within thirty feet. I believe the spot I saw them was here, but I suspect you might have some luck anywhere you could find low-traffic roads with low brush around wet areas that hold insects. The weather was the first warm weather of last spring, from my understanding, so that probably brought out a lot of the insects.

Someone else on another site had stated the breeding pair can stay with the most recent young outside the breeding season.

Yeah, I'm in Edmonton, temperatures are still hovering around the freezing mark during midday, but still fairly cold overnight, so will probably be at least a few more weeks before the insects show up. Normally everyone in town photographs Waxwings in the winter in fruit-bearing trees (as they're quite photogenic when they toss berries up into their mouths) but the area I was in a bit lacking of those.

Jealous of the Belize trip, late last year there appeared to be a very strong possibility work was going to be sending me to Guatemala for a month or two, then they said "nope, we're sending the same people as last time" so I'm probably going to head up to southern Yukon and western Alaska in the summer.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

BeastOfExmoor posted:

(Amazing picture of a waxwing)

Nice shot! Waxing wings are so pretty. Unfortunately, we had one hit our window the other day.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

neckbeard posted:

Yeah, I'm in Edmonton, temperatures are still hovering around the freezing mark during midday, but still fairly cold overnight, so will probably be at least a few more weeks before the insects show up. Normally everyone in town photographs Waxwings in the winter in fruit-bearing trees (as they're quite photogenic when they toss berries up into their mouths) but the area I was in a bit lacking of those.

Yes, the berry shots can be awesome as well :)

Bohemian Waxwing by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

400mm equivalent isn't enough still.

P3150035.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

JuanChai
Mar 3, 2007
The Chairman of the Bawd
^ That waxwing is just gorgeous! Love the colours and focus.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Spent all day trying to get used to back button focus. Ruined quite a bit but I'm sticking with it.

Do! I've been using it for about six months now and I don't know how I managed before.

These black kites are everywhere in Hong Kong and they fly around outside my office window for much of the day using the updrafts from the buildings to soar in the air scouting out prey in the harbour. I've tried to take photos of them before, but you need the light source in just the right direction so as not to get blown-out backgrounds and shadows on the details. I got it just right today with the 200mm +2x tele-converter. Not perfect composition, but good enough I think.

Black Kite by Rupert Procter, on Flickr

JuanChai fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Mar 16, 2013

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Finally got a decent cardinal.

cardinal by philip painter, on Flickr

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

:kimchi: he's handsome

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
Between this and the panning shots in the portrait thread (no, i'm not stalking you, really) you are making me really look forward to your work. Nice stuff.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Light was kind of weird on this one, but probably my best Golden Eagle photo so far.

GoldenEagleHAC 1139 b on Flickr

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I don't recall ever seeing or hearing of anyone ever photographing more than two Pileated Woodpeckers in the same tree or even immediate area. I've always assumed they are mating pairs when seen together so I'm curious who the third wheel is. Last year's chick, perhaps?...

I'm with you. I bet one of those is an adolescent. Took this one when I was out for a walk with my parents when I lived with them. Nothing spectacular, but fit the topic nicely.

Bahama.Llama fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 19, 2013

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Working through my backlog, but wanted to post this dude:

Fiery-Throated Hummingbird by The.Rohit, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Bahama.Llama posted:

I'm with you. I bet one of those is an adolescent. Took this one when I was out for a walk with my parents when I lived with them. Nothing spectacular, but fit the topic nicely.

Pilated Woodpecker's have the best looking chicks.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Not the best pictures of birds I've ever taken, but I really wanted to get some shots of Laughing Kookaburras while I was in Australia and I finally got some the last week I was there. Their calls are loud at 5:30am.

Hiking to Frenchs Farm 25 by Execudork, on Flickr

Hiking to Frenchs Farm 26 by Execudork, on Flickr

Hiking to Frenchs Farm 30 by Execudork, on Flickr

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

House sparrows.

P3190120.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Gray partridges that flew off this morning before I could crank the iso up and get a decent shot off :negative:

P3200126.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Is there a huge downside to using auto ISO when birding? I don't let it get above 1600 since 3200 on the D3100 is a bit too much for LR to clean up.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Is there a huge downside to using auto ISO when birding? I don't let it get above 1600 since 3200 on the D3100 is a bit too much for LR to clean up.
Now that the 7D can limit the ISO to a set maximum I shoot in auto-ISO all the time, with a maximum defined of 1600. If there's a downside I don't know of it. I don't know about Nikon, but if you can't limit the ISO chosen when in auto-ISO then it's a different story.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

InternetJunky posted:

Now that the 7D can limit the ISO to a set maximum I shoot in auto-ISO all the time, with a maximum defined of 1600. If there's a downside I don't know of it. I don't know about Nikon, but if you can't limit the ISO chosen when in auto-ISO then it's a different story.

Yeah it lets me define a maximum ISO. The camera will go to 3200 but that's an unusable mess so I set the cap at 1600. Thanks for the input, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something painfully obvious.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Birds are a bitch for the camera to meter properly since it's a very small object against a very big background. I typically shoot in manual mode because of this.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

:3: Cardinals hanging out with me the other day

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I love cardinals so much. :3:

DSC_2774 by jankyangles, on Flickr
You know, these things are a son of a bitch. Chased it for miles and managed this terrible shot.

Edit: Herons are god drat adorable when they scratch their head. :3:

DSC_2825 by jankyangles, on Flickr

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 21, 2013

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Hahahah this picture is awesome.

BeanTaco
Apr 14, 2011

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Birds are a bitch for the camera to meter properly since it's a very small object against a very big background. I typically shoot in manual mode because of this.

I use auto ISO because it's way faster than I am.
However my ideal means of taking photos is stand somewhere at about sunup and wait for birds to swoop by, coming from all directions, and my 7D handles that fine while my slow hands/brain does not.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I'll post this here since it's bird-specific.

I'm going to be in San Francisco for the next two weeks. I see a few people from that area posting great shots on other sites of kestrels and kites, does anyone have any idea where they are going for them? Are there any places nearby that are good for birding? I have no idea how much time I'll have but if I can get away for some bird photography I will.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

InternetJunky posted:

I'm going to be in San Francisco for the next two weeks. I see a few people from that area posting great shots on other sites of kestrels and kites, does anyone have any idea where they are going for them? Are there any places nearby that are good for birding? I have no idea how much time I'll have but if I can get away for some bird photography I will.

One place that I might suggest is Ano Nuevo State Park. I have seen a number of kites there, and this is the tail end of the elephant seal breeding season if you like taking pictures of large slug-like blobs. Visiting the elephant seals does require signing up for a guided walk.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

InternetJunky posted:

Will you have a car? Both of those are pretty common, but I guess I don't know exactly where I'd go for guaranteed close photos. A few places in the east bay that might be good chances are:

Briones

Coyote Hills

Sunol

I think there are still Burrowing Owls at the Berkeley Marina, but it's possible they've migrated out.

You could also try Marin County- can't really go wrong with a trip out to Pt Reyes National Seashore/Bolinas Lagoon/Stinson Beach, and Marin Headlands right across the Golden Gate Bridge is pretty good plus awesome bridge views.

Unfortunately I don't know the south bay/peninsula places very well but maybe someone else can chime in. Those would be maybe more convenient if you're staying in the city.

If you haven't seen the elephant seals, a trip to Ano Nuevo State Park is well worth it. Not sure if they are still in the part of the season where they require reservations. It's a bit north of Santa Cruz so not exactly local but an easy day trip, and there's plenty of birding on the way back and forth.

Sage-grouse season underway:

CHG_Male_Grouse_mid_display 1141 on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
dubbbbllleeeepooostt

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

BetterLekNextTime posted:

dubbbbllleeeepooostt

I award you a duck.

small-2748 by jankyangles, on Flickr

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Sweet, thanks for the great info! Elephant seals would be awesome!

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

InternetJunky posted:

As BetterLuckNextTime said, Point Reyes is great, and easily within day trip distance of SF.

How far out of town are you looking to travel? Things get progressively better raptor-wise as you go up the coast; the Northern Sonoma coast up through Humboldt County is fantastic birding terrain. There's a population of Ospreys in Sea Ranch (kind of a semi-private coastal vacation rental property operation in Sonoma County, but I've never been harassed there when hiking in through the public beach access points). If you make it up to Humboldt County, I know some good spots for ospreys, bald eagles, kites, harriers and various owls that I'd be glad to share, but that's quite a bit more traveling than Point Reyes or Sonoma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Another weekend, another two days of unrelenting rain and grey. drat you Winter, make way for Spring already.