Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, I didn't like it at first but The Gladiators is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

How do you guys feel when you strongly dislike a movie that's highly praised and considered a masterpiece by all notable respectable sources? If you read the Shameful thread, you'll know I'm talking in this instance about Last Year At Marienbad. I didn't like it. I was bored by it and wanted it to end. But I hate that I didn't like it. I get an intense feeling of "what am I missing?" when I dislike a movie that by all rights I should have liked. I find myself going through multiple methods of dealing with the discrepancy:

The first is to rationalize my dislike by asserting that it simply wasn't my kind of movie. But then again, I like every type of movie, more or less, and in fact I'm often partial to films similar in style to Marienbad. So I don't think that's it.

The second way is to justify my opinion by recognizing that opinions can't be wrong, and however I felt is real and honest and thus "accurate." The problem with that is I also recognize that, while opinions themselves cannot be wrong, the reasons behind them certainly can be. This causes me to doubt the reliability of my reaction to the movie and leads me back to the "what am I missing" question. Which leads to my third option:

Maybe I just wasn't in the mood? Maybe my boredom stemmed from actually wanting to watch a different sort of movie at the time, but not consciously recognizing this. Perhaps this is it, perhaps I need to be in a more open mindset to appreciate a film like Marienbad. But then, if Marianbad is "my type of movie", then shouldn't its qualities have overridden my mood? Also, if my opinions are mood-contingent, it makes me rethink my stance on every movie I've ever seen.

Another possibility: my mental faculties and capacity for artistic appreciation are simply not up to snuff. I'm not as intelligent, as capable of critical insight, nor as big a film buff as I'd like to think I am. No, this is impossible...

Final option: just shut up, accept that I didn't like it and move on to the next movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I always think it's just because the movie was not to my taste. Last Year At Marienbad is the kind of movie that I watch and think "wow, they made that movie just for me," but will watch like L.A. Confidential and come away with the impression that it was a well made movie that didn't move me.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

morestuff posted:

Are there any non-genre found footage movies out there? Some of my favorite moments from the FF stuff I've seen are smaller, intimate scenes, so it'd be interesting to see how someone uses the format for a straight drama.

You must see End of Watch. The entire movie is intimate moments captured on film with diegetic cameras.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
You aren't going to like every critically acclaimed movie. You can try and understand why others like it and even come to appreciate it, but there's just some movies you're not going to like.

Going back to found footage vs mockumentaries, I've always kind of struggled to find a definitive line that separates the two. Almost anything I can come up with can be contradicted by a few found footage movies. I think one of the more important aspects of found footage is that the footage has to leave control of the fictional film makers at some point. What your seeing is arranged by some fictional third party and not the fictional character that shot it, thus it being "found". This does have a few exceptions though. The Tunnel is presented as a documentary made by the people that took as is Noroi. Ghostwatch oddly enough violates this when it was first broadcast but any time that it's watched later it fits. I think another thing that separated found footage is the camera has to be a character within the film. Like the film needs to draw attention to the cameras and make you aware of them and make you aware that they are characters themselves. Even with that though you have movies liek Appolo 18 where they still draw attention to the cameras but they aren't really characters.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

scary ghost dog posted:

You must see End of Watch. The entire movie is intimate moments captured on film with diegetic cameras.

I've seen and enjoyed that one. It's a great example of what I was talking about, but for whatever reason didn't leap to mind as a found footage movie. It's a vague area, obviously.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

caiman posted:

How do you guys feel when you strongly dislike a movie that's highly praised and considered a masterpiece by all notable respectable sources? If you read the Shameful thread, you'll know I'm talking in this instance about Last Year At Marienbad. I didn't like it. I was bored by it and wanted it to end. But I hate that I didn't like it. I get an intense feeling of "what am I missing?" when I dislike a movie that by all rights I should have liked. I find myself going through multiple methods of dealing with the discrepancy:

When I really don't like a respected one I'll read 10-15 reviews/articles about it to see if I missed anything noteworthy and look for what people are seeing in it that I did not. Sometimes a film is immediately enhanced and other times worsened.

caiman posted:

...then shouldn't its qualities have overridden my mood?

I don't believe so. Everyone is constantly evolving and peoples favorite films are just the ones they saw at the right time that clicked with them for XYZ reason (both as an individual and as a member of a society/culture in a set time).

caiman posted:

Also, if my opinions are mood-contingent, it makes me rethink my stance on every movie I've ever seen.

It's true not only for mood but for experience as well. Everyone has biases, experiences and circumstances that are going to shape the way they look at films in the short-term and long-term. I've found this to be true in the sense that when I see a film use some style/technique/concept for the first time it makes the strongest impression (even if it's a copy of a copy of a copy).

Evolution in taste. Consensus of many now says that Citizen Kane is no longer #1. Now Vertigo is #1 and it will surely continue to evolve. Compare how people rank films to how people rank music (which has been around as a medium for much longer).

edit: fixed spelling.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 19, 2013

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

The music comparison is very apt because on that larger timescale you can see that throughout history, The Best Music Possible was always written about two generations ago, just old enough to be untouched by the banality of the present but just young enough to be stylistically similar to the contemporary stuff.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

penismightier posted:

The music comparison is very apt because on that larger timescale you can see that throughout history, The Best Music Possible was always written about two generations ago, just old enough to be untouched by the banality of the present but just young enough to be stylistically similar to the contemporary stuff.

I'm reminded of someone who claimed "the best music was done in the 50s and 60s because it was the most complex and had four to five people playing different instruments together and now everything is done on a computer!" Obviously shortsighted and not taking into account those things called "orchestras" but it captures that sentiment well.

It's going to be interesting to see how things move forward as the entire film catalog continues to grow exponentially throughout cultures and viewers have millions of films to choose from. I suspect films will splinter off into more diverse categories and that most will continue to become more quaint and incomprehensible as time goes by.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
15 Minutes had some found footage segments.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

effectual posted:

15 Minutes had some found footage segments.

Was that the one where DeNiro gets graphically stabbed to death on camera? That poo poo was dark.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Was that the one where DeNiro gets graphically stabbed to death on camera? That poo poo was dark.

Oh yeah, I really dug that one. The title didn't ring a bell, but THIS certainly did.

A film by Oleg Razgul

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Shanty posted:

A film by Oleg Razgul

Wasn't he the bad guy from Sinister?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

That's Dimmu Borgir.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I would pay good money to have someone edit in "a film by oleg razgul" after the home movies in Sinister and sneak that into cinemas.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Dissapointed Owl posted:

That's Dimmu Borgir.

:golfclap:

But really, he's Mortiis.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Parachute posted:

:golfclap:

But really, he's Mortiis.

Actually he is the guitar player from Slipknot.

Menses at Work
Oct 16, 2006

where women glow and men plunder
I have a question that I don't really expect anyone can answer, but this thread is my last hope, as the vague childhood memories are of no help with google. My grandmother passed away recently, and I've been thinking back a lot to when I was younger. I remember she took me to the cinema once to see an animated movie, which I remember as really trippy.

Did anyone see an animated movie in the 90s where one guy had cabbage for a head and there was an airship involved, or did I dream this all up? If this wasn't a dream, I want to see that movie again. That is literally all I remember, apart from the movie staying with me for many years after, in other words making a lasting impression. It is very possible this was not a major production. This must have been 16-17-18 years ago, and memories have a way of evolving.

I'm guessing it was some weird European production, as it does not show up on any of the lists of 90s animated movies that I have found so far.

Edit: Others have asked for something similar on smaller forums (no replies), describing one character as having ears made of cabbage (as opposed to the entire head), and wearing a grey coat. There could be a factory involved (and not an airship).

Menses at Work fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Mar 22, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
The Haunting did not have any violence at all and its one of the most frightening films ever.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

bobkatt013 posted:

The Haunting did not have any violence at all and its one of the most frightening films ever.

I was gonna be hi-larious and refer to the 1999 Jan De Bont remake but somehow there's no gif on the internet of Owen Wilson getting decapitated by a lion statue.

What the hell?

So have this instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6ffGVe63c0&t=42s

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I was gonna be hi-larious and refer to the 1999 Jan De Bont remake but somehow there's no gif on the internet of Owen Wilson getting decapitated by a lion statue.

What the hell?

So have this instead:

I'm still angry about that movie.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Menses at Work posted:

I have a question that I don't really expect anyone can answer, but this thread is my last hope, as the vague childhood memories are of no help with google. My grandmother passed away recently, and I've been thinking back a lot to when I was younger. I remember she took me to the cinema once to see an animated movie, which I remember as really trippy.

Did anyone see an animated movie in the 90s where one guy had cabbage for a head and there was an airship involved, or did I dream this all up? If this wasn't a dream, I want to see that movie again. That is literally all I remember, apart from the movie staying with me for many years after, in other words making a lasting impression. It is very possible this was not a major production. This must have been 16-17-18 years ago, and memories have a way of evolving.

I'm guessing it was some weird European production, as it does not show up on any of the lists of 90s animated movies that I have found so far.

Edit: Others have asked for something similar on smaller forums (no replies), describing one character as having ears made of cabbage (as opposed to the entire head), and wearing a grey coat. There could be a factory involved (and not an airship).

Try here, friend
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2177344&perpage=40&pagenumber=192

Menses at Work
Oct 16, 2006

where women glow and men plunder

drat, I mistook this thread for that kind of thread (there's always a sticky).

Thanks a lot!

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Dissapointed Owl posted:

What the hell?

So have this instead:

I love Liam Neeson's reaction there. It's like he's actually watching the film.

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
Some people I know get really upset when someone makes the throaty "uhhhhhh" sound from the Grudge. What part of the movie made the sound so scary? (I've never seen it)

E: what scenes

Kritzkrieg Kop fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Mar 31, 2013

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Can someone tell me more about the back and forth involved in the release of 'Margaret' than I can get from the Wikipedia article"?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Does Dwayne Johnson have some kind of promotional deal with Under Armor? Because the last couple of movies I've seen him in (Fast Five, GI Joe and even the trailer for Fast 6) he seems to only wear their shirts.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

muscles like this? posted:

Does Dwayne Johnson have some kind of promotional deal with Under Armor? Because the last couple of movies I've seen him in (Fast Five, GI Joe and even the trailer for Fast 6) he seems to only wear their shirts.

Dude takes so many pictures of himself working out if I were Under Armor I would send him a lifetime supply.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lobok posted:

Dude takes so many pictures of himself working out if I were Under Armor I would send him a lifetime supply.

Andre Agassi was so hungover after celebrating a tournament win, that for the exhibition game he played (and won) the next day, he wore a pair of Raybans the entire time. They sent him a sports car.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

cheerfullydrab posted:

Can someone tell me more about the back and forth involved in the release of 'Margaret' than I can get from the Wikipedia article"?

This should do you:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/24/magazine/kenneth-lonergans-thwarted-masterpiece.html?_r=4&pagewanted=all&

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

Some people I know get really upset when someone makes the throaty "uhhhhhh" sound from the Grudge. What part of the movie made the sound so scary? (I've never seen it)

E: what scenes

Every scene that has the "uhhhhh" sound.

The sound is tied to the visual of the Kayako's ghost which is just really arresting to look at. It's more the association with the image that makes it so terrifying.
The woman that plays Kayako can contort her body in strange ways which makes her really terrifying.

e; I'm realizing as I post this that someone who is really into the films will be able to probably debunk this. I've seen them all and still have no idea which ghost is which or how the plot evolves. As an American, the whole series is confusing as poo poo.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Dickeye posted:

The first one is about Katie and Micah's relationship ending because Micah's an overbearing jackass, the second is about fearing for the safety of your newborn child, and the third about child molestation. All of this is insanely explicit. Like not even subtext etc. I have no idea what 4 is about, it's the only one I didn't make it to see in theaters. Wanna see that poo poo though.

This was in the general discussion thread like page 3 so I'm not gonna bring it up in there but could someone go into more detail about this analysis? I enjoy the movies and consider the 3rd one to be the most disturbing, but can't really explain why.

Everyone in the thread agrees that these interpretations are totally obvious and not even subtext tho so I suppose I'm a bit of a philistine. :blush:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Goofy Movie experts: I don't remember if either movie explains it, but why is Goofy a single dad? Surely nobody gave him sole custody of that kid.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Goofy Movie experts: I don't remember if either movie explains it, but why is Goofy a single dad? Surely nobody gave him sole custody of that kid.

In the film it's explained that Max's mother committed suicide due to postpartum depression shortly after he was born.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mechafunkzilla posted:

In the film it's explained that Max's mother committed suicide due to postpartum depression shortly after he was born.

Uh-hyuk!

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Lobok posted:

Uh-hyuk!

It's strongly implied that Goofy adopted his maniacally optimistic, happy-go-lucky personality as a coping mechanism.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It's strongly implied that Goofy adopted his maniacally optimistic, happy-go-lucky personality as a coping mechanism.

Waaaa-hoo-hoo-eeeeeee!!!

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
"GET! YOUR OWN! LIFE!"

Goofy Movie is legitimately great.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lobok posted:

Uh-hyuk!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

There's just no way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Hedenius posted:

I love Liam Neeson's reaction there. It's like he's actually watching the film.

I almost think my favorite bit in that scene is Lily Taylor's stilted, half-emoted reaction of "Oh no!" Man, she's a decent actress but boy was she terrible in that film.