Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

So, Rome: Total War is on sale for 75% off on Gamestop, and I had a gamestop giftcard, so I bought it. Are there any specific mods that I should use with it, or should I do a playthrough or two of it without mods first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a bad enough dude
Jun 30, 2007

APPARENTLY NOT A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO STICK TO ONE THING AT A TIME WHETHER ITS PBPS OR A SHITTY BROWSER GAME THAT I BEG MONEY FOR AND RIPPED FROM TROPICO. ALSO I LET RETARDED UKRANIANS THAT CAN'T PROGRAM AND HAVE 2000 HOURS IN GARRY'S MOD RUN MY SHIT.
Europa Barbarorum is really a fantastic mod, but if you're not familiar with total war games a run through vanilla first would probably be a good idea.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Medieval Medic posted:

I am not too excited at the prospect of another realm divide, even if it happens at a slower pace.

I don't mind the idea of Realm Divide, just that it happens far far too soon.

If you only trigger the Civil War (or whatever it is) when the empire reaches the size of Rome circa 50 BC then that seems fine to me.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Medieval Medic posted:

I am not too excited at the prospect of another realm divide, even if it happens at a slower pace.

Hopefully Rome realm divide effects are focused on the factions within your empire, and not a global 'hey everyone hate on the PC!' from Britain to Persia like in Shogun 2. I would expect some opportunistic 'let's grab some Roman poo poo!' behavior from some external powers, but if your faction has close ties with Gaul or Greece they should stick with you to make sure you come out on top.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Yeah I agree, the biggest issue with S2's Realm Divide is that it largely threw a massive part of the campaign mechanics out the window. It will be cool to explore if it's an internal faction thing, but I'd also like that it could be avoidable through shrewd play - even if it means the player has to make other tough choices, like purging generals, for example. It would get very samey when players on subsequent playthroughs were always gearing up for the predictable civil war. I trust the developers though, they seem to be refining just about everything.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Maybe they'll have a 'view city in peacetime' option again and those models will be used for it.

I hope so, it was pretty awesome just looking at your cities in the first Rome and seeing how they aim to make cities even more unique it will probably be even better.

As for realm divide I like it how they describe it in the Pcgamer article, it looks unlike realm divide it will be that other factions will be more wary of you as you grow in size.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

quote:

Also a few posts even higher, are no-daichi that good? No armour, so aren't you supposed to flank with them? Sure, I guess you can banzai at the start of lines clashing but it really feels like throwing away a unit for the sake of it. Also recently learned Yari Samurai have bonuses and abilities to marching so maybe I'll give them another try rather than immediately replacing them with nagi samurai.

No-Dachi are better then their stats suggest. Attack counts for a lot more then defense in melee combat and they are brutal charging into flanks and such. That said, they aren't especially good either, just so-so. There's no particular reason to use them over katana samurai except for fun.

Unless you're are playing Date clan, then No-Dachi are just totally awesome and I don't even bother with Katana Sams after I have an armory up in my capital.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I started up a new game of vanilla Shogun 2 with a friend a few days ago and having not played it in a long time the campaign is completely different. The AI actually trains agents and their armies actually have unit variety and aren't a mass of ashigaru archers and spearmen. On the subject of ashigaru, having come from Rise of the Samurai, they are insanely effective. I have no idea what to do with Levy units. As soon as one of them dies their effectiveness goes to poo poo and they're running from battle almost immediately.

I know they're all about history battles and stuff, but I kind of wish Creative Assembly would take some cues from the Dynasty Warrior Empire games and let you create your own little clan and leader, where you select their strengths and bonuses then let you place them on the map. Then the rest of the map will just be randomly placed current clans. It think that would be a fun little mode and an extension of the Avatar Conquest multiplayer stuff.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

Yeah I agree, the biggest issue with S2's Realm Divide is that it largely threw a massive part of the campaign mechanics out the window. It will be cool to explore if it's an internal faction thing, but I'd also like that it could be avoidable through shrewd play - even if it means the player has to make other tough choices, like purging generals, for example. It would get very samey when players on subsequent playthroughs were always gearing up for the predictable civil war. I trust the developers though, they seem to be refining just about everything.
Having a harsher penalty from expansion would be better. It should be influenced by proximity since you have been invading every nearby neighbor.
Since the number of provinces already determines AI hate and every decent clan wants to rule Japan, diplomacy should turn sour because you earned more than they do.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Scalding Coffee posted:

Having a harsher penalty from expansion would be better. It should be influenced by proximity since you have been invading every nearby neighbor.
Since the number of provinces already determines AI hate and every decent clan wants to rule Japan, diplomacy should turn sour because you earned more than they do.

The problem with no realm divide is you end up just rolling over everyone else because the challenge is over once you're the biggest country in japan. Once you're the biggest and baddest, people should band up against you. Allies will want their place in the sun. It makes sense, just needs to be tweaked a little bit.

DJ Ramshackle
Nov 26, 2009

Not really a DJ

not quite a ramshackle

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Maybe they'll have a 'view city in peacetime' option again and those models will be used for it.

I hope they make the button for it more obvious, I swear I had Rome for nearly a year before I found it for the first time.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Yeah, there were definitely some issues with realm divide (vassals anyone) but it was still an incredibly good idea and one of the biggest improvements to the basic campaign structure the series has brought in in a while (and Shogun 2 brought in a lot of improvements). Diplomacy was never that big a deal in the late game anyway.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh man I think I've hosed up bad.

After wiping out my nearby neighbors I decided to settle down and become respectable, build up my trade empire, develop my cities a little etc. Only this one little Otomo city was just sitting there in my way and since it was part of my ultimate endgame goal to have control of it I decided to take it. I promptly kicked off a hate-fest of staggering proportions as I discovered Otomo has a gigantic navy and set about blockading my ports and harassing the poo poo out of my trade ships. Happily naval combat is a bit of a joke and I was able to fight off their large fleets, but I've become so overextended dealing with their navy AND their Daimyo and his heir making repeated suicide charges against my border cities that my cities are beginning to suffer from unhappiness. Plus the city I took over (Bungo) was fully Christian which has resulted in rebellions and major unhappiness. I've tried to make peace with the Otomo but they have no kids to exchange for hostages, and if I wipe them out I think I'm going to be sitting dangerously close to all of Japan declaring war on me.

Who knew that launching unprovoked acts of aggression would cause life to become difficult for me :qq:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Panzeh posted:

The problem with no realm divide is you end up just rolling over everyone else because the challenge is over once you're the biggest country in japan. Once you're the biggest and baddest, people should band up against you. Allies will want their place in the sun. It makes sense, just needs to be tweaked a little bit.
That is why it would be dependent on the size of empires instead of everyone arbitrarily gang-banging the human or due to the Ashikaga falling and the new Shogun automatically orders your head.

Tyack
Oct 9, 2012
In shogun 2, is there a reason why you can climb up the walls? It doesn't really tell you why in the game just that you can do it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Tyack posted:

In shogun 2, is there a reason why you can climb up the walls? It doesn't really tell you why in the game just that you can do it.

The reason is that CA wanted to create siege battles that weren't unmanageable pieces of poo poo that nobody wants to play.

This was a major change in design from previous games in the series.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

The reason is that CA wanted to create siege battles that weren't unmanageable pieces of poo poo that nobody wants to play.

From the very moment siege equipment was added to the game (ie. Rome) the cost of ladders made it apparent that CA expected you to give them to everyone. From Empire onwards they just made that the default.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Chomp8645 posted:

They should have just given everyone super accurate Onagers.

Edit: I miss the old siege ways. :(

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 18, 2013

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

In the game before empire the AI was absolutely awful in siege battles but they sure as hell were more fun to play than the climbing siege battles in Empire and Shogun.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Lord Tywin posted:

In the game before empire the AI was absolutely awful in siege battles but they sure as hell were more fun to play than the climbing siege battles in Empire and Shogun.

How does it feel to be so completely wrong (Ok, maybe not about Empire)?

The AI in previous games couldn't fight it's way out of a paper bag, let alone threaten a fortification. I understand it was an enormous amount of fun (The first 3 times) to defeat a huge army with a fistful of archers because the enemy got stuck on all the geometry, but I really think nostalgia is clouding your judgement on this one. The old siege battles were terrible.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Are Red Seal trade ships worth using at all? Is there any difference between them and normal trade ships other than Red Seal being a bit more durable and able to travel on the open ocean?

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender

Jimbot posted:

Are Red Seal trade ships worth using at all? Is there any difference between them and normal trade ships other than Red Seal being a bit more durable and able to travel on the open ocean?

IIRC Red Seal trade ships carry more trade goods per ship than the normal Trade Ships, so you can get more out of a single trade node.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

shalcar posted:

IIRC Red Seal trade ships carry more trade goods per ship than the normal Trade Ships, so you can get more out of a single trade node.

Alright, I'll give them a shot. I did a google search and they said there was no difference but those threads were over a year old and since a lot of the game has changed in that time I wasn't sure if those ships did either.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender

Jimbot posted:

Alright, I'll give them a shot. I did a google search and they said there was no difference but those threads were over a year old and since a lot of the game has changed in that time I wasn't sure if those ships did either.

Run a test and let us know! If nothing else, it will put the question to bed.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

shalcar posted:

The AI in previous games couldn't fight it's way out of a paper bag, let alone threaten a fortification. I understand it was an enormous amount of fun (The first 3 times) to defeat a huge army with a fistful of archers because the enemy got stuck on all the geometry, but I really think nostalgia is clouding your judgement on this one. The old siege battles were terrible.

Maybe it's nostalgia but I still think that the siege battles in Shogun 2 are dreadfully boring and I auto calculate them whenever possible. So I'm looking forward towards Rome 2 where you just can't attack any fortification as soon as you reach it since all your units can run up the walls.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

shalcar posted:

I don't do the archer ammo-then retreat trick like some people have suggested, but simply fighting out a siege is rather boring in Shogun 2, or really not worth manually losing a bunch of men over to take over a simple one-tier tenchu. Are the later castle town stages supposed to be more elaborate and even more of a meatgrinder to play?

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

Taco Defender

Sober posted:

I don't do the archer ammo-then retreat trick like some people have suggested, but simply fighting out a siege is rather boring in Shogun 2, or really not worth manually losing a bunch of men over to take over a simple one-tier tenchu. Are the later castle town stages supposed to be more elaborate and even more of a meatgrinder to play?

I'm not suggesting it's wrong to auto-resolve siege battles against tier 1 fortifications when they only have the retainers in them or some other fight that's going to be tedious and unfun. You would auto-resolve a field battle that only had 45 opponents as well!

Where I do think it's gamey is taking advantage of the fact the auto-resolve doesn't correctly factor in fortifications (It massively undervalues them) and so will let armies win that simply had no chance of taking the fortifications or turns what would be a close battle into a massive victory with minimal attacking casualties.

The entire purpose of fortifications is to make the attackers pay for every metre of ground in blood. People are often afraid of taking any losses in a battle, but replenishment often makes those losses irrelevant next turn, two turns later at the absolute most unless it's a properly defended fortification and then why shouldn't it be expensive to take? If the troop cost is too high, you can pay the time cost and siege them out, the level 1 fortifications only last 3 turns.

The later castle stages are indeed a more complicated meatgrinder which will cost you more troops, but the extra complexity adds a lot to the actual battle itself which keeps it interesting. The reason the level 1 fortification fights are so uninspiring is that there is no major strategy changes between them and you have to fight a lot of them (It's amplified by the level 2 fortification being the same design but with two towers added) which gets old, I admit.

One thing that a lot of people seem to forget when attacking in Shogun 2 sieges is that you are not meant to kill the defenders to the man. Instead, you are meant to push them off the tenchu and hold it for 60 seconds. Tie their units down and use your superior numbers to seize the prize (You did bring more men, right?) and avoid all the tedious grinding.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
In the past I've slagged and cussed at CA a lot in this and other threads but here is something very :unsmith: they recently did.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Jimbot posted:

Think they have a hidden attrition factor, since they're designed as sea faring trade ships they appear (at least in the games I've played) to have a larger "safe zone" when it comes to attrition. Also they're just tougher than regular trade ships so Wako are less likely to target them. No clue if they actually carry more cargo though, usually by the time I roll them out I'm on the home stretch of my game and have enough income coming in anyway.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Sieges have always been boring in every Total War game and at this point I wish they'd just remove them. Dudes clawing their way up walls is dumb and I think there's better ways of handling it but god knows if the AI could deal with that. Anything is better than them just milling outside your walls for an hour though.

AI still doesn't know how to siege and it ends up splitting it's army up into chunks and attacking piecemeal in an unfortunate attempt to surround you which always ends up with them getting slaughtered. Worst thing is you have to manually fight those battles even if they're painfully easy and then realm divide hits and you get to battle against stack after stack dying pointlessly to your castle. AI isn't smart enough to realize that they could just starve you out and my army wouldn't stand a chance in an open battle.

I seem to remember having some fun with sieges in Empire just because blowing stuff up with cannons was fun.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 19, 2013

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

NoneSuch posted:

Sieges have always been boring in every Total War game and at this point I wish they'd just remove them. Dudes clawing their way up walls is dumb and I think there's better ways of handling it but god knows if the AI could deal with that. Anything is better than them just milling outside your walls for an hour though.

AI still doesn't know how to siege and it ends up splitting it's army up into chunks and attacking piecemeal in an unfortunate attempt to surround you which always ends up with them getting slaughtered. Worst thing is you have to manually fight those battles even if they're painfully easy and then realm divide hits and you get to battle against stack after stack dying pointlessly to your castle. AI isn't smart enough to realize that they could just starve you out and my army wouldn't stand a chance in an open battle.

I seem to remember having some fun with sieges in Empire just because blowing stuff up with cannons was fun.

Forget the AI even with all human players the sieges are not very fun. However they seem to be really mixing up how they handle sieges in rome 2, so it should be interesting.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I thought that multiplayer siege battles in Shogun 2 could be pretty fun. Well, vanilla Shogun 2 anyway. FOTS siege battles were absolute loving garbage multiplayer or no.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

The only time I've played siege multiplayer the enemy attacker refused to actually attack and I got bored enough to quit. It happens plenty of times in normal multiplayer, they'll just sit in their starting zone or worst and retreat to the back of the map, but atleast you can waddle over and force a fight you can win.

I know I'm grouching a lot but I just had a really boring campaign where it felt like 90 percent of the battles were sieges :gonk:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I'm playing through my second ever game of Shogun 2 vanilla, and I was wondering if someone could answer a question about minor clans. Do they behave any differently from the major, player-selectable clans, or are they just nonselectable and without clan-specific bonuses? Are they less aggressive than the major clans, or can they build multiple-province empires? I'm trying a game as Oda and dealing with the central landmass clusterfuck, and I'm wondering if it would behoove me to take out the major clans first while leaving the minor ones alone, so that no one nearby clan is too powerful when realm divide hits.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Minor clans are just non-playable clans with no bonuses and are every bit as capable of taking half of Japan as the major clans.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Lesser clans can have the same "personalities" as the major clans. I think they might even be randomized at the start of a new game, not sure though. They can most certainly grow and become a threat even to the big players. Just look at who tends to rule the "western" tip of Honshu, it usually ain't the Mori.

Basically in SH2, everything and everyone can be a problem if you leave them alone too long.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

NoneSuch posted:

The only time I've played siege multiplayer the enemy attacker refused to actually attack and I got bored enough to quit. It happens plenty of times in normal multiplayer, they'll just sit in their starting zone or worst and retreat to the back of the map, but atleast you can waddle over and force a fight you can win.

You must have played these games a long time ago. Siege battles have a timer now (20 min I believe) and if it runs down the defender wins. All field battle matches have control points (it used to be that sometimes they did, sometimes they didn't) as well. I guess someone could still camp on top of one of the points, but in that situation the two sides are usually close enough and exposed enough that skirmishing (and therefore fighting) almost inevitably occurs. In any case they can't just camp their starting zone or a corner.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Playing at the Teutonic Order on Stainless Steel VH/VH... Jesus Christ :stare:. I'm lucky if I make it to turn 20 between Poland, Denmark, Lithuania, and Novgorod trying to smash my two settlements immediately.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Lesser clans can have the same "personalities" as the major clans. I think they might even be randomized at the start of a new game, not sure though. They can most certainly grow and become a threat even to the big players. Just look at who tends to rule the "western" tip of Honshu, it usually ain't the Mori.

Basically in SH2, everything and everyone can be a problem if you leave them alone too long.

Even the fuckoff tiny clan on the island. I had a game where I didn't pay any attention to them until I found out they'd wiped out all the eastern clans and were now my biggest rival.

VVVV Build up your farms, then markets, then sake dens. Make as many metsuke as you can and plonk them all in your most valuable province, and try to develop that one as much as possible. Some people recommend keeping taxes as high as you can before the provinces turn red, but I personally don't like doing that since it massively reduces town development; I would say keep them as low as you can afford, really. Which is usually the default.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

So i decided to start Shogun2 up again. Does anyone have any advice on how to manage an economy better? Usually i just spam trade ships and cap the trade nodes, but im wonder how to play around with taxes and markets.