Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

Bwahaha. This is killing me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

This is my cat, Kimmy. This is one of my favourite photos of her. She was flopping like a mad cat before the shot was taken, probably weighs an extra pound due to all the sand in her coat here.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Forgot to post these when I visited my mom. Spotted this in the bathroom.

So I opened the other side.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style
It's time to gatecrash this domestic cat party with some badarse wild cats.

I'll start with the Flat-Headed Cat. You've probably never heard of it, as it's relatively obscure and endangered. This little chap can be found in the tropical rainforests of Southeast Asia.

Most of the time, this cat looks like it wants to rip your spleen out through your nostrils. Just look at those goddamn teeth:

The rest of the time, it just looks rather surprised:

In the above picture you can its unique face shape, which is where it gets its name.

It lives in freshwater habitats and feeds primarily on fish. It also has webbed paws to help it move around in mud and water. This is a cat that does not mind getting wet.

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

It's time to gatecrash this domestic cat party with some badarse wild cats.

I'll start with the Flat-Headed Cat.
It's like the offspring of a cat and a Galago

one of the barn cats that lives on our farm

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

The Rusty Spotted Cat, found in India and Sri Lanka, is the smallest cat in the world but is packing an almost lethal amount of cuteness. Sadly, along with most wild cats, it is endangered due to habitat loss caused by man.

As with all non-domesticated cats, it generally wants to murder you:

But it's easy to forgive it:

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

The Black-Footed Cat, found in Africa, is another very small cat.

Interestingly, this cat is rubbish at climbing trees, due to a stocky body and short tail; and instead they shelter in burrows, often using the unoccupied burrows of other animals such as hares or porcupines.

They are extremely hard, vicious little buggers and are known locally as "Anthill Tigers". They have very large energy requirements and typically kill up to 14 small animals every night

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

The Rusty Spotted Cat, found in India and Sri Lanka, is the smallest cat in the world but is packing an almost lethal amount of cuteness. Sadly, along with most wild cats, it is endangered due to habitat loss caused by man.

I found this picture of a rusty spotted kitten born in the Berlin Zoo:

:3:

And I had to find a picture of a person handling one to find out how big they are:

That's an adult! They only weigh about 1 Kg.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Brother Jonathan posted:

And I had to find a picture of a person handling one to find out how big they are:

When I look at some of the other options out there, I do tend to think that us humans domesticated the wrong cat species. Check out the "Sand Cat" if you want to unleash the nuclear holocaust of feline cuteness.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
On the topic of wild cats, my mother and her fiance took these of a babby ocelot during a recent trip to Hondouras. A nearby farmer found it abandoned* and brought it to the hotel they were staying at, so that someone would take it to a nearby wildlife preserve.

* Ocelots tend to kill livestock, and are commonly killed by farmers around there. It's more likely the mother was killed. :(

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Then there was that Russian couple who somewhow wound up adopting (legally?) an Asian fishing cat.

Wonder what ever happened with that. Me, I'd never sleep again.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

When I look at some of the other options out there, I do tend to think that us humans domesticated the wrong cat species. Check out the "Sand Cat" if you want to unleash the nuclear holocaust of feline cuteness.

Holy smokes you are right:

http://cdn2.arkive.org/media/84/842E3BE3-923E-4B00-A966-EAB1DB800223/Presentation.Large/Sand-cat-evading-viper-bite.jpg

http://www.catster.com/files/post_images/6341f7b8482b4bdc0cab1a9d361f3c0a.jpg

ED, here is the cuteness: http://www.zooborns.com/zooborns/2010/05/seeing-double-two-sand-kittens-at-al-ain-wildlife-park.html

ED2: Just realized I was "leeching," so I took of the url tags. Sorry all.

SnakePlissken has a new favorite as of 04:21 on Mar 18, 2013

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

PainterofCrap posted:

Then there was that Russian couple who somewhow wound up adopting (legally?) an Asian fishing cat.

They have a catfish and a fishing cat?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Brother Jonathan posted:

They have a catfish and a fishing cat?

They would, uh, feed the cat live prey. That feather explosion was a live chicken...that they brought into their apartment for it to stalk & kill.

There was also a :nws: shot of the wife in the tub with the cat (but no catfish)

They must be a joy at parties. If they're still alive.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I thought sand cats were the species domestic cats branched off from thanks to the effects of domestication, but it turns out to actually be the African wildcat, which pretty much looks like a housecat with maybe slightly sharper edges.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.
You missed the best image:

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!

Cichlid the Loach posted:

I have to wonder how it went when these two first met.

here's some more barn cats!

They all have a dark orange 'M' on their foreheads.
Left to right there's Mentok, Marceline, and Muds ( she came up to me one day when I was feeding animals just caked head to tow in mud ) There a black with orange spots one in the litter also but I can't find a picture of her.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
These Pallas cats are making my day! (night!)

He looks like he's saying "heh".

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Brother Jonathan posted:

If the adult is that small, that kitten must be the size of a mouse. You could have a basket with 30 of 'em in it.

NeoHentaiMaster
Jul 13, 2004
More well adjusted then you'd think.

Cichlid the Loach posted:

I remember making a thread about this cat years ago. There are a bunch more photos and in every single one with the two cats together you can tell the phishing cat, although being friendly, is making it very clear 'Yes I am the dominate one here'

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Those cats are pretty sweet! I wonder what other types of adorable wild cats there a-

...Oh.

SlippyFists
Jul 16, 2007

To The Flowers of Time!

Here's a picture of my cat Fuzz E Boy. He clocks in at almost 18 pounds of pure fluff.

Here he is snuggling up with his sister Luna.

chad radwell
Jan 16, 2009

chad radwell has a new favorite as of 14:54 on Sep 13, 2015

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

SlippyFists posted:

Here's a picture of my cat Fuzz E Boy. He clocks in at almost 18 pounds of pure fluff.

Here he is snuggling up with his sister Luna.

You put up pics of him before, right? He's incredibly pretty.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

New phone with a better camera means better pictures of sleepy kitty.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Yautja Philosophy posted:

Although recently they've become very popular as exotic pets, generally kept by morons who don't understand why trying to keep a wild animal in your home is not a great idea.

Look at these guys. They are clearly enjoying the hell out of being coddled

Looks no worse then my cat anytime someone tries to pick him up...

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

And nothing ever goes wrong when you own wil-

(For any of you who missed the story, police in Harlem had to remove a tiger and an alligator from a fourth-floor apartment after a neighbor complained the urine had leaked through her ceiling and also the tiger mauled the guy. Don't worry, both animals were sent to rescues.)

Jesus gently caress. How did he even get it in there? I guess he just raised it from kittenhood inside?

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Pile of Kittens posted:

Jesus gently caress. How did he even get it in there? I guess he just raised it from kittenhood inside?

Speaking of Tigers, let me introduce the Toyger:

It's a domestic breed, identical to normal housecats in size and temperament, but one which will make a dent in your wallet to the tune of $3000.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

That tiger's thinking: "Dinner? Delivered? For me?!"

Speaking of Tigers, let me introduce the Toyger:

It's a domestic breed, identical to normal housecats in size and temperament, but one which will make a dent in your wallet to the tune of $3000.

Holding out for the genetically-engineered housecat-lion.
Though that is damned impressive...first one since Maine Coons that's tempted me from a lifetime of shelter cats.

PainterofCrap has a new favorite as of 02:39 on Mar 19, 2013

chad radwell
Jan 16, 2009

chad radwell has a new favorite as of 14:54 on Sep 13, 2015

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

quote:

Sand Cat Chat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MjG9r_YP_U

I don't know if it's come up in the thread before but, for any goons going to vacation in Florida, Big Cat Rescue should be a place any cat lover visits. The wife and I took our honeymoon in Disney and drove out the hour to Tampa to go visit these guys. What's really interesting is that they do a few different types of tours. We took the Feeding Tour and the Keeper Tour when we went out. The feeding tour is all about their nutrition and it actually made me reconsider what I was feeding our two fluffballs at home. The Keeper Tour talks all about how they care for the cats and you get to make treats for them. Nothing more :3: than seeing a Servil, Tiger, Leopard, or other cat tear apart a toy you got to put together for them.

I'm sure there are other cat rescue places out there as well, this is just the one I'm familiar with.

Snake_in_a_box
Aug 26, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING AN LP SUPERSTAR
I moved back in with my parents recently. More importantly, I moved back in with my cats. Have some pictures.
Zima

Rascal

Sunny (A.K.A. Cat)

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

Robviously posted:

Big Cat Rescue stuff

I've been there a few times, mostly on fieldtrips and stuff as a kid, and it is definitely a cool place. They do a lot of good work helping abused/mistreated animals find nice places to live. Well worth a visit. In fact, this makes me realize that it's been years since I was last there. I smell a weekend trip coming up.

Snake_in_a_box posted:

I moved back in with my parents recently. More importantly, I moved back in with my cats. Have some pictures.

I had to move back in with my mom for a bit while looking for work after getting out of the military, and as thankful as I was that she let me crash on her couch, the only thing that really made it tolerable was that I got to spend time playing with this big dumb fluffball:

Vespa Mandarinia
Dec 14, 2012

Look at these guys. They are clearly enjoying the hell out of being coddled

And nothing ever goes wrong when you own wil-

(For any of you who missed the story, police in Harlem had to remove a tiger and an alligator from a fourth-floor apartment after a neighbor complained the urine had leaked through her ceiling and also the tiger mauled the guy. Don't worry, both animals were sent to rescues.)

Yeah, the cat in the first pic looks like it's just yawning, and honestly, comparing owning a serval to owning a tiger is a pretty big stretch.

I don't think that I would want a serval. Savannah cats are pretty cool, though.

Toygers are pretty neat too. I'm interested to see what they end up doing with the breed in the future.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Brother Jonathan posted:

Seriously though, why are there not toy breed cats? There are stupid little purse dogs for all the Hollywood socialites to mistreat, I want a 2 pound fully grown cat that doesn't crush me when he decides to jump into bed in the middle of the night and lay on my head like my 20 pound monster does.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

veedubfreak posted:

Seriously though, why are there not toy breed cats? There are stupid little purse dogs for all the Hollywood socialites to mistreat, I want a 2 pound fully grown cat that doesn't crush me when he decides to jump into bed in the middle of the night and lay on my head like my 20 pound monster does.

I'm fine without toy breeds. I really hate that dogs are being bred for appearance at the expense of health and longevity. A number of once-venerable breeds are being/have been ruined by showing and fashion. I can deal with getting ball-stomped if it means the same thing doesn't happen to cats.

Then again I've always been a large dog person. If cheetahs had the personalities of labradors (and, y'know, weren't wild animals being driven to the brink of extinction by habitat destruction and poaching) I'd totally, totally get one, and we'd be the best of possible friends.

I've seen other sites (not that one) that said the guy who tipped off the police said there were large animals in there, but didn't specify what exactly. The police used one of those sneaky-scope fiber optic cameras to peek under the door and saw the tiger. I love the mental image of cops coming out expecting like some weird dog or like a lynx or something and instead getting basically the worst case scenario.

Imagine if someone had tried to burgle that apartment. :unsmigghh:

Blue Footed Booby has a new favorite as of 23:30 on Mar 20, 2013

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
It's hard to imagine how much meat this guy had to be buying for a full-grown tiger and alligator. That's some serious money. Not a picture per say, but here's something to watch in your other monitor when you're bored at work: http://new.livestream.com/FosterKittenCam/TheCosmoFosters This guy has fostered tons of cats, and the cat shelter just does some amazing work.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Trailer for a documentary about Lil Bub and other internet cats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx6cY84XmwU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

Vampire cat!!!

I made my cat do this photo-shoot. My grandmother bought me this.

"Paint me like one of your French girls, Jack."

He hates me now.