Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ah, forgot about the GTR - but at the same time, that's a limited production / halo car, at least in comparison to the CTS.

The turbo V6 vs NA V8 argument for the Corvette has been going on for decades now, and yeah that was the logic they cited - but with the Corvette there is also the very real idea that it needs to have a V8 no matter what.

A turbo V6 might be easier to package, since if you really need to you can adjust where the turbos are located to tweak the overall size of the engine. With the V8, you're limited to playing with the accessory drive and the intake / exhaust manifolds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

KozmoNaut posted:

Oh wow, Autoline suck rear end. How much?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpE9jEaTHOI

Apparently adjustable headlights on the 2013 is something they consider worthy of a video. Gee-whiz, what amazing features will they think of next? :rolleyes:

Heh, my '95 Eagle Vision had this.....its the futar!

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

I would have thought that engine news was for the ATS-V.
I wonder what they are going to throw in there now seeing as the twin turbo V6 is going into the CTS.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Franco Caution posted:

I would have thought that engine news was for the ATS-V.
I wonder what they are going to throw in there now seeing as the twin turbo V6 is going into the CTS.

What's stopping them from also putting it in an ATS-V?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Heated seats are not a rarity in cars these days, and ventilated seats that shoot that cool air up your crack and backside are also becoming more common. Mercedes-Benz though has added a new seat feature in their new S-Class. Reversing fans!

I can only assume this is some new technology aimed at taking the joy out of ripping one in your car and watching in delight as your passengers twist around in disgust.

Some beautiful new S-Class interior pictures and info here.

e:

The right most button is labeled "R" for reversing fan. Or "Fart Fan" as it should be referred to as from now on.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 18, 2013

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...

IOwnCalculus posted:

I don't think so, actually - I don't see any mention of calling the 420hp CTS a CTS-V. I get two possibilities out of this. One, GM could be discontinuing the CTS-V altogether, but I doubt that.

Two, the CTS-V comes back in the future after the C7 Z06/ZL1 show up with whatever engines replace the LS7/LS9, and has a new 550-600hp V8 replacing the LSA, allowing the turbo V6 to slot in beneath it.

At that point the odd duck in the lineup seems to be the naturally aspirated V6, since it's only a 50hp bump from the turbo four.

The Gen 1 and 2 CTS-V were both released a year after their platform. I'm not sure I'm convinced this 2014 model is a full on platform update, but that may be what's happening. No way they'd cut the power on the CTS-V unless it was significantly lighter than the present one.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

There's a 410hp twin turbo V6 in the new Quattroporte. Hopefully, that engine will make its way to the smaller Ghibli and maybe even in some Mopar products. We should be seeing a lot of awesome new product in the next couple years.

Has there ever been a better time for engine power and variety?

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Nurburgring officially for sale: http://bridgetogantry.com/2/index.php/home/news/497-the-ring-is-for-sale-and-it-s-scaring-me

Hopefully the buyer doesn't curtail access to the public, but they probably will :(

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Did anything ever progress with that dude's plan to recreate the Nurburgring outside of Las Vegas? I just assumed it was a pipe dream but that sure would be interesting if it got done. Would love to see an American Le Mans Series on it. Which incidentally since it merged with Grand-Am will be renamed to United SportsCar Racing next year.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
That was Bruton Smith, he's a noted liar.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

SouthLAnd posted:

The right most button is labeled "R" for reversing fan. Or "Fart Fan" as it should be referred to as from now on.

It goes right into the engine intakes for improved fuel economy without any performance penalty.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
A Pursuit Special, running on Methane!

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
http://www.callawaycars.com/cars/callaway-c21-corvette-aerowagon/
Body kit for the C7 turning it into a shooting brake.

I think it looks better than the C7.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

What's stopping them from also putting it in an ATS-V?

I'm pretty sure this engine has been rumored to be going in the ATS-V for quite some time now. We probably won't hear much about it until after an m3/4 announcement though.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Kenshin posted:

Time to go FF hunting.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Kenshin posted:

Stunning.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

davebo posted:

The GT-R is still V6 right, not inline 6? That started out at like 480 and is up to 530 now? I don't know exactly how much weight plays a factor but it seems like GM's V8's end up giving better fuel economy than these twin turbo V6's. Didn't they say when launching the C7 that they just couldn't get better fuel economy out of a turbo'd v6 than they were getting from the V8? Does the difference in weight make a turbo 6 the preferable choice for the CTS?

A turbo V6 is almost certainly heavier than a naturally aspirated pushrod V8.

MrSaturn posted:

The Gen 1 and 2 CTS-V were both released a year after their platform. I'm not sure I'm convinced this 2014 model is a full on platform update, but that may be what's happening. No way they'd cut the power on the CTS-V unless it was significantly lighter than the present one.

It is on the Alpha platform, like the ATS. Sigma is dead.

VanNuys
Feb 25, 2013

by Debbie Metallica

It really is quite beautiful.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Weren't there rumors about a 'budget' Corvette a while back? If they put this engine into the -V cars AND the Corvette they could market that the -V's have "Corvette engines" in them.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I don't think a TT V6 is gonna be budget friendly. Parts and assembly for an NA V8 has gotta be cheaper.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

IOwnCalculus posted:

A turbo V6 might be easier to package, since if you really need to you can adjust where the turbos are located to tweak the overall size of the engine. With the V8, you're limited to playing with the accessory drive and the intake / exhaust manifolds.

I honestly cant see how a V6TT could possibly be easier. There's just so much added poo poo you need to deal with - as well as the OHC making the engine physically bigger and it will certainly be quite a bit heavier all up.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

IOwnCalculus posted:

I don't think so, actually - I don't see any mention of calling the 420hp CTS a CTS-V. I get two possibilities out of this. One, GM could be discontinuing the CTS-V altogether, but I doubt that.

Two, the CTS-V comes back in the future after the C7 Z06/ZL1 show up with whatever engines replace the LS7/LS9, and has a new 550-600hp V8 replacing the LSA, allowing the turbo V6 to slot in beneath it.

At that point the odd duck in the lineup seems to be the naturally aspirated V6, since it's only a 50hp bump from the turbo four.

Yeah it's pretty clear this is a 550i/E550/M56 competitor that people have been clamouring for to slot between then 3.6 and the V.

The 2l might be for overseas markets with odd displacement limits. The Chinese XTS and Lacrosse both have it.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Cat Terrist posted:

Ummmm..... no. Tossing the front and rear for purpose built replacements is fundamentally changing the chassis to something a hell of a lot different.

Yes in the way that the suspension geometry can be changed; pickup points moved, anti squat/dive set in but I wasn't saying that. I was saying that a cage and custom subframes don't completely make up for a bad unibody if said car had one.

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001
While I love me some turbo V6es, I just don't understand why. They could easily get the same power and better economy from a LSwhatever, and it would probably cost less in manufacturing, too. And probably be lighter. Why? Also, it's weird that lut of 4 engines, only one is NA, in the CTSes nowadays. Crazy times, man.

Sole Survivor
Aug 21, 2009

Method Loser posted:

While I love me some turbo V6es, I just don't understand why. They could easily get the same power and better economy from a LSwhatever, and it would probably cost less in manufacturing, too. And probably be lighter. Why? Also, it's weird that lut of 4 engines, only one is NA, in the CTSes nowadays. Crazy times, man.

My best guess is that GM is using a Twin Turbo V6 in the CTS to differentiate it from the Chevrolet SS.

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

Sole Survivor posted:

My best guess is that GM is using a Twin Turbo V6 in the CTS to differentiate it from the Chevrolet SS.

I... guess? I dunno, seems like a hell of a lot of cost and work for something totally 100% unneeded. Gives some neat talking points though I guess.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Sole Survivor posted:

Weren't they only going to sell a couple of thousand Chevys every year? Hardly seems like a reason. The turbo V6 might have a better torque profile than the V8, suitable for a luxury car.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Yeah, I guess I have to throw my hat into the "A new LS1 would probably be better than a turbo V6" camp. I just can't see how it would end up being more economical or better performing than the V8.

Is it just an image thing? To compete with the European super sedans its got to have turbos and multiple cams?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Keep in mind that GM's upper management right now is in constant flux and their CEO knows very little about cars or the auto industry but likes to meddle in development and planning, so really there's lots of plausible explanations involving ignorance or refusing to make a decision in addition to the actually reasonable ones.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 19, 2013

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Maybe, even if the initial release doesn't have better fuel economy than a comparably powered LS, GM is convinced they can tune the thing to eventually deliver better economy.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Or maybe their chief executive read an article in the shitter one day about how all the other luxury brands are moving to turbo engines and then immediately demanded one for Cadillac because "V8s are old GM thinking and we need to shift some paradigms."

Alternatively, they want to further distinguish the CTS-V as the only one with a V8 and already have a turbo 6 developed for a different car like the ATS-V or something. Allowing you to get the ATS-V engine in a regular CTS might help establish the stratification between the models and help push the CTS further upmarket now that the ATS is here to compete with the 3-series.

Or because new internal initiatives are about trying to kill engine/engineering variety, so the only way to not throw away the turbo 6 they've been working on for several years is to try and shoehorn it into as many platforms as possible to make it harder to kill.

Large organizations often end up making decisions for lots of reasons.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 19, 2013

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They could just be using the caddy it to test the engine for truck duty, which is where the real profit is.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
What would be odds that the next generation Camaro gets the TTV6, or an SS version of the 2014 Impala?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
they probably just want to relive the 300z twin turbo commercial.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
As mentioned earlier it's pretty much a shoe in for the alleged new Grand National/GNX.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

SouthLAnd posted:

Yeah, I guess I have to throw my hat into the "A new LS1 would probably be better than a turbo V6" camp. I just can't see how it would end up being more economical or better performing than the V8.

Why wouldn't it be more economical?

Holden Commodore SS-V 6AT = 12.2l/100km, 260kw, rwd
Audi S6 7AT = 9.6l/100km, 309kw, 4wd

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

dissss posted:

The only reason I can think of is that half this thread has been in a coma for the last 5-10 years of engine development.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

DropShadow posted:

Yeah, because focus groups are always right on the money. By the time a vehicle is at this stage, its styling is finished, and no amount of consumer feedback is going to change it. See the new Cherokee, for example. And manufacturers camouflage their pre-production cars so other manufacturers don't steal their design cues and rush them to market first.

Mitsubishi: "Hey Land Rover, nice headlights!" YOINK.

Ford: "Me too me too!!"

Actually that's slightly different and predates both the LR and the Mitsu...

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I'm so glad Ford has moved away from Gillette grille.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

dissss posted:

Ford Ecoboost: Horsepower of a V8/V6, fuel economy of a V6/I4!

(Neither of these have proven to be true unless you go strictly by the super accurate and never ridiculous EPA ratings).