Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

alf_pogs posted:

Also they could have done this pretty effectively with Alex in this game, instead of hastily cramming in all his character development and subsequent death into half an hour near the end. Honestly I felt that way about most of the characters except for Lara and Matthias really.

For anyone else finding the characters lacking in the main game, I'd definitely suggest trying to find a copy of the comic that came with the Survival Edition. I read it maybe halfway through the game's campaign, and it actually cleared up quite a few questions. It's not the best comic in the world, but it's a better cross-genre tie-in than most games seem to get as far as fleshing the characters out goes.

The only thing that was kind of iffy was how they handled Reyes' daughter Alisha, since the comic clearly has her meeting Roth on the Endurance, but the Documents you find in the game mention that she has never met him and that he's her father. Doesn't affect the gameplay in any way, shape, or form, but kind of gives cred to those saying they changed a little bit of the story/game during development.

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Mar 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
When does she even write that letter anyway? It seemed to be a letter incase Reye's never made it off the island, but she tells her daughter to find Roth and there's not much reason to think Roth would've escaped if she didn't.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

RatHat posted:

1st rule of video games: If there's no body or a funeral they're not confirmed dead.

This isn't even a solid rule since you have Blood Money to take into account.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just got to the part where Lara wakes up in a room full of hanging corpses and body parts :stare:

Really enjoying this game so far. Definitely the darkest and most fun Tomb Raider game I've played. I've never really found the series to be all that great in the past, but I decided to give this one a shot for some reason, and I'm really glad I did. It's like it takes all the right cues from the Uncharted games, which were influenced by the Tomb Raider games. But it's gorier and there's a lot more swearing. It's badass.

Also, "I hate tombs!" - Lara Croft :haw:

edit: Wow, you can really rack up a body count with the shotgun :suspense:

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Well, it didn't take long: All 35 deaths of Lara Croft!

It's actually kind of funny since a few of them are the bugs/glitches that somehow got through. I think we've all been there with #30, in which Lara dies for seemingly no rhyme or reason while you aim your weapon. Also, the eagle call on #29.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Whoever designed the death scenes in this game has some issues.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh Jesus Christ, when Lara cauterizes her leg wound :stonk:

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Does this game have a 4th difficulty to unlock when you beat it on hard, or is that it?

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

LibbyM posted:

Does this game have a 4th difficulty to unlock when you beat it on hard, or is that it?

That's it, unfortunately. Not even, like, a new costume or anything (though that kind of thing could always be patched in/DLC'd I guess). I wouldn't say the game has no replay value, because it's honestly fun enough to play through a second time, but they definitely skimped on the rewards front with how much they emphasize "Collect all these things!"

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I played through uncharted 2 a ridiculous number of times just because I really loved the core gameplay, so I'm not concerned about enough content as far as replayability. I just hope hard mode is actually pretty hard at least.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So, I've actually never played any of the Crystal Dynamics Tomb Raider games. Just rented Underworld. It's, ah....

Well. I can see why they felt the franchise needed reviving. Not that this is awful, per se, but it is a little clunky and I'm not sure what to think when the first giant monster just sits there.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

RatHat posted:

Whoever designed the death scenes in this game has some issues.

Honestly, I think most of that's just because of who the death scenes are happening to, rather than the content thereof. I know I tend to react more adversely when a particularly violent death scene is happening to a female character (which is another discussion, I know), and I'm not alone in that.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Oh Jesus Christ, when Lara cauterizes her leg wound :stonk:
I can't wait for your screams when you see what the game still has in stock for you :allears:
You can embed videos on SA now. I watched another death compilation earlier and so many deaths that I haven't seen. The branch through the stomach and having throat sliced while hanging upside down were really surprising - eariler I thought the infamous head impalement was the only really gruesome one.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Speedball posted:

So, I've actually never played any of the Crystal Dynamics Tomb Raider games. Just rented Underworld. It's, ah....

Well. I can see why they felt the franchise needed reviving. Not that this is awful, per se, but it is a little clunky and I'm not sure what to think when the first giant monster just sits there.

Go with Legend. That was my entry point years ago, and I started playing it again last night. It still holds up for me. Plus there's WAY more rewards (mainly costumes) for collecting poo poo than any of the later games.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
Man, looking at the concept art and original direction for the new tomb raider makes me feel a bit sad about what we got. Lara croft: Shadow of the Colossus would have been awesome!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Neo Rasa posted:

Just do me a favor and never play III, Last Revelation, Chronicles or Angel of Darkness.

What is wrong with Tomb Raider III? It had some of the largest, most interesting and varied environments. I have always considered III to be the last "good" one, but I never played Aniversery or the other newer ones... I checked out about half way through Angel of Darkness.

Mman
Nov 11, 2007

Snak posted:

What is wrong with Tomb Raider III? It had some of the largest, most interesting and varied environments. I have always considered III to be the last "good" one, but I never played Aniversery or the other newer ones... I checked out about half way through Angel of Darkness.

It's EXTREMELY difficult, full of trial and error, and the save system on the console version is completely hosed for the kind of game it is. As well as having probably the largest and most complex levels in the series, and maybe even the genre as a whole (which can be both a strength or/and a weakness depending on your perception). I pretty much agree and consider it the best of the originals but it's a very polarising game by it's very nature.

SurrealityCheck posted:

Man, looking at the concept art and original direction for the new tomb raider makes me feel a bit sad about what we got. Lara croft: Shadow of the Colossus would have been awesome!

Yeah, while I really like this reboot the original concepts still look more exciting to me, but I guess that design wouldn't sell anywhere near as much, and at the least there's a chance they might experiment a little with those ideas in the sequel(s).

Mman fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 19, 2013

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

blackguy32 posted:

Whats wrong with the Last Revelation?

It has slightly better graphics than 1-3 but most of the game's levels are just really bland. This was the first one with more "advanced" rope swinging and jumping from beam/column to beam type stuff so a lot of the areas are basically a big gigantic square room with lots of beams to jump across. It's not HORRIBLE but it really doesn't play well because the game is less about exploring and more about struggling with the camera/controls to jump off a beam instead of falling straight down. Even worse, if you get it on DC or PSX it's like, not even playable because of the worse framerate/controls (despite Soul Reaver 1 being definitive on Dreamcast, all other Eidos Dreamcast games are barely optimized PSX ports, with all that entails). Chronicles was the first game that straight up killed the franchise. Then Angel of Darkness killed it again for a bit before we got the Crystal Dynamics games.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
As much as I appreciate what they did to reboot this series and character I'm really interested in how they develop and age Lara into the next game. I wonder if she'll go back to her slightly cocky but in a refined wordly British manner from the previous games, though it might be interesting if she goes through an experienced and really cocky Nathan Drake-like stage to get there.

LibbyM posted:

I played through uncharted 2 a ridiculous number of times just because I really loved the core gameplay, so I'm not concerned about enough content as far as replayability. I just hope hard mode is actually pretty hard at least.

It's really not. I feel like the only reason I'm dying occasionally is because I'm playing on Hard, only using the bow and trying to headshot absolutely everyone. Even then I've died much more in QTEs and loving around than in combat, it's still very forgiving. I feel like if I was actually using all of the weapons and just blasting dudes it'd be a cakewalk.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Yodzilla posted:

As much as I appreciate what they did to reboot this series and character I'm really interested in how they develop and age Lara into the next game. I wonder if she'll go back to her slightly cocky but in a refined wordly British manner from the previous games, though it might be interesting if she goes through an experienced and really cocky Nathan Drake-like stage to get there.

It's really not. I feel like the only reason I'm dying occasionally is because I'm playing on Hard, only using the bow and trying to headshot absolutely everyone. Even then I've died much more in QTEs and loving around than in combat, it's still very forgiving. I feel like if I was actually using all of the weapons and just blasting dudes it'd be a cakewalk.

A neat difference from normal to hard that I noticed is that Lara reacts differently to being shot. On normal, you can maintain your aim if you're shot once, while on hard Lara will jerk around and you'll have to readjust again, which I found was often enough time for an enemy to hit her with a second arrow. I'm assuming that if you're playing with m + kb controls, combat difficulty becomes trivial either way, but I played with a gamepad.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, the assault rifle especially is really powerful. The grenade launcher can completely stunlock and kill the big Russian on the boat in 3-4 grenades. I don't know if he is supposed to be difficult otherwise, but the dramatic music swell when he died seemed to indicate so. It was so disappointing that I purposely made myself use only the bow (no grenade darts either) when I fought the Stalker.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

DrNutt posted:

A neat difference from normal to hard that I noticed is that Lara reacts differently to being shot. On normal, you can maintain your aim if you're shot once, while on hard Lara will jerk around and you'll have to readjust again, which I found was often enough time for an enemy to hit her with a second arrow. I'm assuming that if you're playing with m + kb controls, combat difficulty becomes trivial either way, but I played with a gamepad.

Nope I'm playing entirely with a 360 controller. I guess I've played enough console action games that I'm pretty accurate either way but that's cool about her hit reactions changing. That's the kind of stuff I like in regarding difficulty changes as opposed to just everything hurting you more and having more health.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Yodzilla posted:

Nope I'm playing entirely with a 360 controller. I guess I've played enough console action games that I'm pretty accurate either way but that's cool about her hit reactions changing. That's the kind of stuff I like in regarding difficulty changes as opposed to just everything hurting you more and having more health.

Yeah, I never even noticed if enemies had more health on hard because I went for headshots most of the time, but that was kind of neat.

gallilee
Jul 24, 2001

Imagine when you're about to get your dick sucked by the alien from aliens and she's like "ahaha guess i gotta bring out my little mouth for this one"

notZaar posted:

Yeah, the assault rifle especially is really powerful. The grenade launcher can completely stunlock and kill the big Russian on the boat in 3-4 grenades. I don't know if he is supposed to be difficult otherwise, but the dramatic music swell when he died seemed to indicate so. It was so disappointing that I purposely made myself use only the bow (no grenade darts either) when I fought the Stalker.

I finished that dude off in just a single stealth kill while his buddy was watching. I didn't even realise it was supposed to be sort of a boss firght until the finishing animation and the music as you said.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Snak posted:

I remember Tomb Raider 3 having a brutal first set of levels. If I am not mistaken, you can get instantly killed 30 seconds into starting the game by landing on a set of spikes or getting crushed by a boulder. Then if you get that, you have to watch out for the quicksand.

I might be biased because I remember being stuck on the first level because I couldn't find a key that a monkey drops when you kill it. We spent about 6 hours going back and forth thinking of places that we could have missed. I think the TV was too dark or something :smith:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Lara Croft and the Guardian Of Light was actually pretty dang fun for a spinoff.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
oh yeah I played TRIII on the PC with quicksaving and such... I could see how it would be more frustrating on a console. While it was much harder, it worked as a natural progression from TR and TRII.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Just finished it. Really enjoyed it, although I felt like the controls on the PC were a little clunky at times. It would've made a big difference if the climbing axe had been a bit more intuitive, letting you move around and kill people rather than being a straight(ish) cover shooter.

I also wish they'd taken another leaf out of Arkham Asylum's book and done a few challenge rooms instead of MP. There's so many interesting environments that they could have done all sorts of interesting things. Try and wipe out a bunch of guys in Shantytown without being detected, straight up kill everyone as fast as possible, races across terrain. Would probably have been a drat sight easier to implement than MP too.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The Last Revelation was the first Tomb Raider game I played, so it'll always have a special place for me. I thought it was really fun, but it also helps that I've always liked Ancient Egyptian architecture and mythology and whatnot, so having the entire game set in the ruins of Ancient Egypt was a pretty huge draw for me.

I really liked Anniversary as a remake of the original game with modern controls and updated graphics, and I'd love to see the other "classic" games in the series get the same treatment, but that seems really unlikely with the reboot out now. :sigh:

Speedball posted:

Lara Croft and the Guardian Of Light was actually pretty dang fun for a spinoff.
It was a hoot, and it felt like a great "last hurrah" send-off for the "old" Lara prior to the reboot.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hahahaha, holy gently caress, Lara becomes this insane murderer. After she kills that dude with the grenade launcher, she screams and yells I'M COMING FOR YOU, YOU BASTARDS! It's like I'm replaying Far Cry 3 or something :allears:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Hahahaha, holy gently caress, Lara becomes this insane murderer. After she kills that dude with the grenade launcher, she screams and yells I'M COMING FOR YOU, YOU BASTARDS! It's like I'm replaying Far Cry 3 or something :allears:

I am conflicted about the body count, but that moment is still awesome.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

It's pretty hilarious that, with as adventurous as Lara becomes in this game, jumping into water will instantly thrust her head into giant rocks and kill her :haw:

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

That really was a great part and what solidified Camilla Luddington as a great Lara for me.

I wish the official soundtrack was a little longer, especially the main "Adventure Found Me" theme. Jason Graves really owned this time.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

It's pretty hilarious that, with as adventurous as Lara becomes in this game, jumping into water will instantly thrust her head into giant rocks and kill her :haw:

If there's one thing I've learnt from living in Australia, it's that you never, ever dive into water without knowing what's underneath the surface.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
If you're in Australia then what's underneath the surface is sharks and/or crocs, so you don't go in the water fullstop.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Just finished my first run. Great game, the Uncharted influence definitely kicks it up a notch. Great starting point, love the melee later on (Laura gets brutal as poo poo holy hell). I just hope future titles vary up the scenery a bit more, being on one island makes sense from a story and introduction standpoint here (another Uncharted parallel), but I'm hoping that the next entry really covers some miles around the globe. Anyway, that Bow -> Shotgun -> Pickaxe progression as enemies close in is drat fun, would love to see them expand on the melee system even more in the next title.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just beat it. God drat, what an awesome game.

I loved when Mathias says something like "There's a difference between heroes and survivors. How many lives have you taken to get here?", and then at the very end, the "I'm not going home". Lara's gone totally mental. She can't escape the adventurer life and she doesn't care who she has to kill now. What a weird yet cool twist. Almost all her friends died, and now she's gone past the point of no return and is in this for life. It's basically Far Cry 3: Tomb Raider Edition.

If they make any sequels that are as quality as this, I'll play the hell out of them.

Freak Magnet
Jan 12, 2010

Drifting - It's not for the faint of heart.
With all the talk about the old TR games, I figured I'd share this with you all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shB4nDTkyOE&feature=share&list=PLD584AE92588DC4A8

It's a level by level, area by area, comparison of the original Tomb Raider alongside it's Anniversary Edition, complete with developer commentary by Toby Gard (Series Creator) and Jason Botta (Creative Director).

It's interesting to see the original sections of the game playing next to the re-made ones and hearing what they've got to say about it.

I loved TR 2013, but I think Anniversary is the best of the series.

Anyway, enjoy.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Freak Magnet posted:

With all the talk about the old TR games, I figured I'd share this with you all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shB4nDTkyOE&feature=share&list=PLD584AE92588DC4A8

It's a level by level, area by area, comparison of the original Tomb Raider alongside it's Anniversary Edition, complete with developer commentary by Toby Gard (Series Creator) and Jason Botta (Creative Director).

It's interesting to see the original sections of the game playing next to the re-made ones and hearing what they've got to say about it.

I loved TR 2013, but I think Anniversary is the best of the series.

Anyway, enjoy.

I wonder what they say about the Atlantis portion of the game. I was pretty pissed when I noticed that the level was quite easily visibly shortened in the anniversary edition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I didn't like most of the changes in Anniversary honestly. The dinosaur segment in particular was a giant letdown and there was just something sort of off about a lot of the areas.

• Locked thread