Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

VisAbsoluta posted:

I'm finishing all episodes from Doom I, how does Doom II vanilla maps compare? I only had the shareware versions back when I was a kid. :smith:

They're livable, many of them are even fun, but if you're comparing them to Doom 1 a bunch of them suck pretty hard.

gooby on rails posted:

A 2.5D game is one which treats one dimension differently from the others. The elements of the map will be arranged in two dimensions and have the third assigned to them in a different manner, like how in Doom every vertex has only 2 coordinates and the height of the floor is a property of the sector. Whereas in a true 3D engine like Quake or Ultima the vertices are positioned in all three dimensions and there is no fundamental split between floors and walls; they're both simply consequences of where the surfaces defined by the vertices lie and the floor is only special in that gravity points toward it and the camera is aligned to keep it on the bottom of the screen.

Ultima's hosed up textures were most likely a result of taking shortcuts with the perspective calculation while rasterizing the view; the underlying geometry was still 3D.

Ahh, thank you. I knew the bit about the way Doom's engine did height but I didn't understand why Underworld would look so hosed up if it were in true 3D. The lack of perspective correction explains everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

They're livable, many of them are even fun, but if you're comparing them to Doom 1 a bunch of them suck pretty hard.

I really disagree with this. Knee Deep in the Dead has generally fantastic levels, but I really feel the level design takes a hell of a nosedive in the rest of the episodes, for the most part. I know I'm in the minority, but for the most part, Doom 2 is such a vastly better game, if only for the fleshed-out monster hierarchy. People complain about the city levels (The Factory through...what, Gotcha?) but I never really thought them terrible.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

LividLiquid posted:

Meanwhile, the Ultima Underworld engine was more advanced in features than any FPS engine would be for over five years, which was an eternity back then given the leaps in technology being made. I play Underworld every couple of years and I'm always pretty impressed with what was possible.

Yes, Wolf 3D was faster, but Underworld had true 3D geometry and multi-floor buildings four years before Quake, and a full RPG environment to boot.

Catacomb Abyss is worth checking out, though, if only for its historical significance.

Among the earliest fully 3D engines were the Underworld one (UW1: 1992; UW2: 1993), System Shock (1994), the Descent one (Decent: 1994; Descent II: 1996), XnGine (Future Shock: 1995; SkyNET: 1996), and Quake (1996).

There still are some limitations to the Underworld engine, though. It's not entirely arbitrary 3D like in Descent. I think walls can only be aligned to multiples of 45°, and for room-over-room they have to use 3D objects (like that long bridge in Pits of Carnage).

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Doom 1 has a bunch of lovely levels too, though. I agree with Kakumei; for the monster variety alone, Doom 2 is at least as good as 1.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Turns out, out of all the projects available for Zandronum, this gets picked to be featured on Kotaku.

http://kotaku.com/5990094/an-ingenious-mod-turns-doom-2-into-twisted-metal

well okay then.

Still, congrats to them for getting news out?

TerminusEst13 fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 16, 2013

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

TerminusEst13 posted:

Turns out, out of all the projects available for Zandronum, this gets picked to be featured on Kotaku.

well okay then

Eurogamer, too. This could well be the most popular Doom mod since Brutal Doom.

I despair.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, there are some levels in Doom's later chapters that just feel like a slog to go through because they feel so claustrophobic and maze-y. I didn't really mind Doom II's city levels much at all except for the fact that there are a few where completing the stage without jumping off high ground / key hunting, but once you know those you can beeline to them instead of getting stuck in a corridor of endless doors.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

TerminusEst13 posted:

well okay then.

Still, congrats to them for getting news out?

quote:

If they'd modded the Heretic engine, they could have allowed you to look up and down. And the cars could 'jump' a little higher when they get blown up.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
I finally loving got the furthest I could in Reelism...

And made the mistake of assuming the Monster Truck Wizard didn't have any ranged attacks, after watching him get stuck on stairs and deciding to destroy him from above said stairs. :negative:

^ At the very least, whoever was asking for a true Necrodoom .wad got their wish, and Darkstar seems to be handling the anger pretty well.

poo poo I found and no one will care about and was probably already posted: this fancy pants semi-conversion (it's supposed to be a total conversion, but the creator's still hammering out maps) of Quake 3, for any Doom! It's got the Quake 3 movement style, weapons, and characters, and if you do work up the strength to not glaze over at every post I make, for the love of loving God, download the gore reducer. At least Brutal Doom allowed you to see enemies through the fountains of blood.

JackMackerel fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 17, 2013

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

JackMackerel posted:

I finally loving got the furthest I could in Reelism...

And made the mistake of assuming the Monster Truck Wizard didn't have any ranged attacks, after watching him get stuck on stairs and deciding to destroy him from above said stairs. :negative:
That's what happens when you mess with the wrong loving wizard. :haw:

Speaking of weird mashup mods, this video makes me so very, very happy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2yPfWXPIs0

quote:

gmDoom is a partial source port of Doom integrated into Garry's Mod 13. Assets are loaded from an IWAD, and no binary modules are required!

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

The Kins posted:

It's...it's glorious.
Sprite poo poo in 3d modeled worlds usually doesn't work too hot, but somehow this dude is making it look natural. Making it look GOOD.

I must learn how.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Holy poo poo :stare:

I thought using Doom's weapons on HL2 was nice. Then putting Doom enemies on HL2 was amazing enough, killing zombies on counter-strike maps? No words but this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2yPfWXPIs0&t=218s
:black101:
This... I can't even describe how I feel.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Ha, I love the way the door opens at 1:22. This looks awesome.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
^^^ I didn't notice that until now. That's awesome.

Just seeing the BFG take down the helicopter and those striders in (what I assume was) one hit was a beautiful sight. :)

Hopefully, someone ends up making a special version of Reelism that worked with this and included the HL2 weapons/enemies. Just think of the awesomeness of using that HACX 2.0 chaingun against Combines and Doom Zombie Soldiers on one of the Mann vs Machine maps from TF2 (since MvM maps are pretty open and made for hoarde-style gameplay). I know this might be pretty unlikely to happen, but a man can dream, can't he? :shobon:

sturgeon general
Jun 27, 2005

Smells like sushi.
Port nuts.wad to HL2, then we'll talk.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Obeast posted:

^^^ I didn't notice that until now. That's awesome.

Just seeing the BFG take down the helicopter and those striders in (what I assume was) one hit was a beautiful sight. :)

Hopefully, someone ends up making a special version of Reelism that worked with this and included the HL2 weapons/enemies. Just think of the awesomeness of using that HACX 2.0 chaingun against Combines and Doom Zombie Soldiers on one of the Mann vs Machine maps from TF2 (since MvM maps are pretty open and made for hoarde-style gameplay). I know this might be pretty unlikely to happen, but a man can dream, can't he? :shobon:

OK now I just need someone to port Quake's maps to HL2, and let me use Samsara with this, and I will be satisfied.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
How about Ghoul's forest? :black101:

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
Can anyone tell me why my crosshairs are completely wrong in Quake 2? They are way off to the left of where the shots actually land, makes playing multiplayer nearly impossible.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

The Kins posted:

That's what happens when you mess with the wrong loving wizard. :haw:

loving finally. There was a port of the Doom enemies and weapons to GM12, but Garry's constant loving with the game snapped everything in half.

(Speaking of which, there's also an Invasion mutator for UT2004 that does something similar...)

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Yeah, I've played with the UT2k4 plugins that added Half-Life 2, Doom 3, and (I think) Quake enemies to the game. It was pretty fun, although, unsurprisingly, some of the enemies didn't really behave anything like their original counterparts.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

JackMackerel posted:

poo poo I found and no one will care about and was probably already posted: this fancy pants semi-conversion (it's supposed to be a total conversion, but the creator's still hammering out maps) of Quake 3, for any Doom! It's got the Quake 3 movement style, weapons, and characters, and if you do work up the strength to not glaze over at every post I make, for the love of loving God, download the gore reducer. At least Brutal Doom allowed you to see enemies through the fountains of blood.

Ah, I tried this out a good while ago, 1.9.2. I liked a lot of things about it, but it wasn't terribly finished or well built at the time. I'm definitely willing to try out an updated version.

Edit: Eh, still don't think I can really recommend it, but I do think it has potential.

catlord fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 17, 2013

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Anyone ever gotten TrackIR working in GZDoom? That seems like the sort of ridiculous thing that should happen at some point.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

tooooooo bad posted:

Anyone ever gotten TrackIR working in GZDoom? That seems like the sort of ridiculous thing that should happen at some point.

Just use this thing, of course:
http://www.mindflux.com.au/products/iis/vfx1.html

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Here's something interesting though only tangentially related to the topic:

Apparently Sandy Peterson is a big board gamer and is currently working on his own Cthulhu Mythos board game.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/895053/sandy-petersens-new-boardgame

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

TOOT BOOT posted:

Apparently Sandy Peterson is a big board gamer and is currently working on his own Cthulhu Mythos board game.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/895053/sandy-petersens-new-boardgame
Well he was the author of the original Call of Cthulu pen-and-paper game before he ventured into computer game development, nice to see him return to his roots. :)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

In Doom, do monsters that are infighting with Spectres behave the same way as they do when they attack you while partially invisible?

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Mak0rz posted:

In Doom, do monsters that are infighting with Spectres behave the same way as they do when they attack you while partially invisible?
Nope, other monsters treat Spectres exactly the same as Demons.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

The Kins posted:

Well he was the author of the original Call of Cthulu pen-and-paper game before he ventured into computer game development, nice to see him return to his roots. :)

My favorite Tabletop/FPS crossover ever is Warren Spector, of Deus Ex and System Shock fame. He is best known in nerdgames for working on Spelljammer and for being the lead author of Toon. His work on Epic Mickey makes way more sense if you've read Toon.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Zero Star posted:

Nope, other monsters treat Spectres exactly the same as Demons.

Oh well, good to know.

Hey Kins, if I could make just one suggestion for Reelism, it would be to make the kick alt-fire for any weapon. It seems pretty useful in a pinch!

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
The new Rise of the Triad will be appearing at PAX, and as a little taste of what's to come, Interceptor linked this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jam-lXgop2I&feature=youtu.be

My faith in this game knows no bounds. (also TF2 items are rumored to be in the pipeline)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Official word on ROTT TF2 items is a big "maybe". Also, the achievements for the new ROTT leaked. Looks like we're looking at 20 solo levels.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

The Kins posted:

Official word on ROTT TF2 items is a big "maybe". Also, the achievements for the new ROTT leaked. Looks like we're looking at 20 solo levels.

NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_2_18
#YOLO #JK #LOL #SWAG #420
Die for the first time

This owns.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_4_8
Unreal
Watch Entire Castle Flyby with game on Maximum settings

NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_3_30
Shadow Warrior
Beat the game with Lorelri [sic] Ni

I don't know why, considering they're just references and nothing else, but these send my inner child all a-titter. :allears:

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
Holy poo poo, this might be my favorite achievement aside from the one Segmentation Fault posted.

NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_3_12
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Jump off two enemies heads consecutively

I still haven't played through the original ROTT (I have it on GOG and have tried it a few times, but never got past the first level), but everything I've seen of the remake makes me want to finally play it. I know the later levels in the game are supposed to be a pain, but it still looks fun as hell.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
I have never been more excited for anything than I am for the new Rise of the Triad.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Who said that you shouldn't play "Hell Revealed" with BD? This poo poo is the bees' knees.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Who said that you shouldn't play "Hell Revealed" with BD? This poo poo is the bees' knees.
Brutal Doom kind of jacks with the game balance a bit to make things a bit harder, and frankly the Hell Revealed maps are hard enough as it is, so the two combined can result in a lot of unfair deaths.

Also, Duke 3D Megaton Edition is probably getting released Wednesday.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Mar 19, 2013

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Obeast posted:

I still haven't played through the original ROTT (I have it on GOG and have tried it a few times, but never got past the first level), but everything I've seen of the remake makes me want to finally play it. I know the later levels in the game are supposed to be a pain, but it still looks fun as hell.

The first handful of levels are quite good, the weapons are amazing and the gore is out of this world. Unfortunately, the level design takes a sharp nosedive about halfway in IIRC and the final boss fight pulls one of the biggest dick moves of all time. It's a puzzle boss fight of sorts and puts part of the solution in an unmarked secret area.

E: Holy poo poo, I thought the guys at Interceptor Entertainment had a familiar accent in the development diary videos. They're based right here in Denmark! Awesome :)

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Mar 19, 2013

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Clive Barker's Undying has been given the GOG treatment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

The Kins posted:

Brutal Doom kind of jacks with the game balance a bit to make things a bit harder, and frankly the Hell Revealed maps are hard enough as it is, so the two combined can result in a lot of unfair deaths.

Also, Duke 3D Megaton Edition is probably getting released Wednesday.

The first Hell Revealed is actually crazy fun with BD, even if you do have to slightly cheese the new mechanics, but HR2... :magical: