Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Those covers are like ex post facto mockbusters, where instead of producing a rip-off movie to capitalize on a Hollywood picture, they take old crappy movies and give them box art that resembles new Hollywood pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Darthemed posted:

Today, some of the films of Moonbeam Pictures, a Full Moon off-shoot.

Here's the thing: they stopped making movies in 1996.
Truly timeless.

I'm happy that a new generation can experience the wonder of pawing through the weird VHS tapes at the library and picking braindead sci-fi serials made for about $20.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
So many white kids.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Crackbone posted:

Yes, since posters/teasers aren't just hung up in theaters and subways anymore.

Thanks for the clarification! I totally wasn't saying that in the same context as someone asking if the blood on the Nurse 3D poster would be allowed (in a public setting and not in some collector's room or a film event) :thumbsup:

Terminal Entropy posted:

Had never heard anything about the difference being the person in the first one was alive. Any time I had seen the two there was some remark about the MPAA being fine only with one based on the same insane troll logic the ratings board operates.

Yeah, the MPAA's policy on which posters get the yay/nay are insane troll logic in the first place. But as with the poster for The Road to Guantanamo posted a few posts up, it was specifically because it was depicting torture. With the second poster, they reasoned that you cannot tell that the person is alive or not, but with the first poster, they are clearly clawing the ground and not lifeless, and that constitutes torture. Showing dead bodies is apparently A-OK. It's stupid but that's how they work.

IIRC, the Saw films never show torture on their posters either, even though that's all the movie is.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Darthemed posted:

Truly timeless.

There is no goddamn way. The Twilight ripoff is called loving Darkness.

edit: Maybe Moonbeam is actually a bunch of time travelers who keep trying to make successful movies before they come out.

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Mar 19, 2013

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Peanut President posted:

edit: Maybe Moonbeam is actually a bunch of time travelers who keep trying to make successful movies before they come out.

Which itself would be a great movie just for the sight gags of pre-cgi Avatar, The Matrix, etc.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
There's no way time travel exists in the future, because if it did, my future self would have already gone back and prevented Foodfight from ever being made, with the help of an anti-paradox device.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Gonz posted:

There's no way time travel exists in the future, because if it did, my future self would have already gone back and prevented Foodfight from ever being made, with the help of an anti-paradox device.

Maybe it's invented in 2015 and, well, we might have some bad news for you.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Maybe it's invented in 2015 and, well, we might have some bad news for you.

Preposterous.

I am a man who will never die.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Gonz posted:

You have no idea how the number of even worse films your future self had to prevent that he ran out of time to prevent Foodfight.

You have no idea because you can't imagine how bad they were. Because your future self sacrificed himself for us to save us from that knowledge.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

You have no idea how the number of even worse films your future self had to prevent that he ran out of time to prevent Foodfight.

You have no idea because you can't imagine how bad they were. Because your future self sacrificed himself for us to save us from that knowledge.

That does sound like something my future self would do.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

It is possible it can happen, but you would only be able to go back as far as the moment the time machine was first turned on, Primer style.

It doesn't really let you know that it is suppose to be about time travel, but failing at that it gets the tone and hard science of a it down perfectly. Does anyone know if the poster made by the distributor or if Shane Carruth did it himself like almost everything else?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
If there's movies so bad time travelers are secretly saving us from them, then I hate time travelers.

I'd hate to think Twilight Breaking Dawn Part 2 was the BEST version of that film.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Or time travelers are just coming back and making some of our films as awful as possible to gently caress with us. Can you think of any other explanation for Scary Movie 5?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

True Fact: A man from 2109 created Manos: The Hands of of Fate.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Terminal Entropy posted:

It is possible it can happen, but you would only be able to go back as far as the moment the time machine was first turned on, Primer style.

It doesn't really let you know that it is suppose to be about time travel, but failing at that it gets the tone and hard science of a it down perfectly. Does anyone know if the poster made by the distributor or if Shane Carruth did it himself like almost everything else?

I love Primer but is this poster cgi?! :psyduck:
How hard could it be to set up a photoshoot of this?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

95% of Primer's budget went into craft services, probably.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Primer's budget was $7000. Pretty much all of it went into buying 32mm film stock, from what I understand.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Speaking of Manos:

The goon made restoration has a goon made poster. Getting a lot of good Mondo vibes from it. Nice that it didn't skimp out on having hands in it either. I haven't seen the movie, only been limited to some of the stuff I had read about it in the restoration thread; anyone who has seen it have any thoughts on this?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Poor job of representing the movie, excellent way to mass appeal to the ironic fanbase.

So, perfect.

It's like the inverse of the minimalist posters. A good poster with too much detail for a poo poo film that can be simplified to a single concept.

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Mar 19, 2013

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
I love that Primer poster - love it to death - but it's missing it's fairly fantastic tagline.

None of Primer's budget went into craft services.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Darthemed posted:

Today, some of the films of Moonbeam Pictures, a Full Moon off-shoot.

Truly timeless.

This looks like one of those ambiguous "bi-curious" videos you find in the back of video stores.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Tired of cool slick heroes?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
The movie industry was not kind to Bill Cosby.

Lance Streetman posted:

Anyways, the movie itself is about what you'd expect from a 90s kids movie. Complete with villains talking about how you're going to die!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6__8MEYoYw

The bad guys here look like someone took the villains from The Last Starfighter and glued bits of an old oven onto them.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Yodzilla posted:

Robert Culp said he was probably the angriest man he ever met.

If you want to see what Culp was talking about, here's part of Black History: Lost, Stolen, or Strayed from 1968. He gets more and more irritated as the presentation continues.

Yodzilla posted:

The bad guys here look like someone took the villains from The Last Starfighter and glued bits of an old oven onto them.

I would not be surprised if it actually was the same masks from The Last Starfighter or surplus Drakh or Narn masks from Babylon 5.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Young Freud posted:

If you want to see what Culp was talking about, here's part of Black History: Lost, Stolen, or Strayed from 1968. He gets more and more irritated as the presentation continues.

This is really interesting, but who the hell thought it'd be a good idea to put Cosby in the loudest loving leather jacket during his presentation?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It was 1968!

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Young Freud posted:

Robert Culp said he was probably the angriest man he ever met.

Can't say I blame him, honestly; but that's a whole 'nother conversation. But I will say that what he and Robert pulled off with I Spy and the stories of that were amazing. They wound up being best friends right up until Culp died a couple years back.

I had the misfortune of seeing this in theaters as a kid. Cosby literally told people to not waste their money on it when he was doing his rounds on talk shows to :airquote: promote it.

Edit: The movie won three Golden Raspberry Awards, for Worst Actor (Cosby), Worst Picture, and Worst Screenplay (Jonathan Reynolds and Cosby). It was nominated for two more Razzie Awards, for Worst Supporting Actress (Foster) and Worst Director (Weiland). A few weeks after the ceremony, Cosby accepted his three Razzies on Fox's The Late Show. He requested that the three Razzies he earned be specifically made out of 24 karat (99.99%) gold and Italian marble. Cosby himself later brought the awards with him when he was a guest on The Tonight Show starring Johnny Carson, happily displaying them and proclaiming, "I swept the awards!" For the 2005 Razzies, the movie earned a nomination in the Worst "Comedy" of Our First 25 Years category.

I didn't know about that part! :respek:

Dissapointed Owl posted:

This is really interesting, but who the hell thought it'd be a good idea to put Cosby in the loudest loving leather jacket during his presentation?

That's actually pretty subdued for the time, really. :shobon:

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 19, 2013

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

"We can't hear what he's saying but he looks drat stylish doing it."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2f_cG0ddyQ&t=172s

Seriously, this kid is bad-rear end. Look at that self-portrait. That rules.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Yodzilla posted:

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
He's
loving
dead.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
He's loving Dad.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Say what you may about Ghost Dad, it has one of Cosby's best imitations of a Satanist.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

I liked Ghost Dad better the first time, when it was called Hamlet.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

You shut your mouth. That movie is Canon.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

He's loving Dad.

You bet your rear end he is!

Max22 posted:

I liked Ghost Dad better the first time, when it was called Hamlet.

Does that make Diane Ophelia in this instance?

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 19, 2013

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
A different sort of minimalism from all those lovely Mondo knockoffs. Guy with a flamethrower. That's all you needed to know in the revenge-drunk 1980s.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Peanut President posted:

That might not be its original title. Somebody could have repackaged it after Twilight.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

muscles like this? posted:

That might not be its original title. Somebody could have repackaged it after Twilight.

It's not.

Ed: Slightly bigger:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Dick Trauma posted:

A different sort of minimalism from all those lovely Mondo knockoffs. Guy with a flamethrower. That's all you needed to know in the revenge-drunk 1980s.

This movie gave me nightmares as a kid when I caught my dad watching it one night. The two scenes that stood out was him killing two people by putting a bag of rats on their heads, and a later scene lowering some business man into a giant meat grinder.