Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

You might also want to try ClockworkMod Tether (USB only), which doesn't require root.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
My phone is rooted and I've uninstalled some factory apps; now I'd like to factory reset it and re-root it. Google tells me that I need to re-flash the firmware in order to restore all the factory apps. Do I have to flash the default firmware, or can I flash a more recent Android version? If default, where can I download the Gingerbread 2.3.4 firmware for an LG VM701, and what (Linux-compatible) program do I need to flash it to my phone?

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
CM Dev Team: "We aren't supporting the Galaxy S4"

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
That's really interesting. I always assumed that CM and Samsung phones would start to be more of a thing since Steve Kondik is/was working for Samsung.

Dev Dude posted:

There are two variants which will be a pain to maintain, [and] the bugs we have on the S3 will probably be there on S4, too (camera)...
Aren't there like 12 versions of the S3? And I haven't had any issue with the camera on my S3 so far.

Oh well, if there are no stable-ish CM roms for the phone, what is the point of getting it? :v:

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Mogomra posted:

That's really interesting. I always assumed that CM and Samsung phones would start to be more of a thing since Steve Kondik is/was working for Samsung.
Given the trouble they've had with exynos SOCs, I'm not actually that surprised. They were ready to abandon the s2 a while ago because nobody wanted to bother working with it.

Mogomra posted:

Aren't there like 12 versions of the S3? And I haven't had any issue with the camera on my S3 so far.

Oh well, if there are no stable-ish CM roms for the phone, what is the point of getting it? :v:
It's quite stable as far as I know, but it won't ever be marked as stable until samsung releases their specs or proprietary code.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
To be fair, it's more:

Aatrek posted:

CM Dev Team JERRY HILDENBRAND: (Some CM folks who don't represent the project as a whole said this, but I'll neglect to be particularly clear on that part:) "We aren't supporting the Galaxy S4"

Mogomra posted:

Samsung is a big conglomerate. Really big. It's really not accurate to talk about them as one company.

CM support for Samsung has improved, directly as a consequence of Steve working for Samsung and getting free hardware. He's done a lot of work in maintaining the Qualcomm-based Samsung handsets, namely the Skyrocket, T-Mo SGS2, and North American SGS3 series.

Mogomra posted:

Yes but there's two main divisions. There's the (Samsung Semiconductor) Exynos 4-based international models, which much like (most) Galaxy S 2 models, has had quite a difficult time getting solid CM support due to Exynos being irreparably hosed. Then there's the (Qualcomm) Snapdragon S4-based North American models, which remain fairly close to the Qualcomm reference platform and are comparatively easy to support in CM.

Mogomra posted:

Folks seem quite happy with their Galaxy Note 2s despite suffering the same fundamental problem. "TouchWiz isn't that bad" and S-Pen functionality make up for it I guess, I don't know, I wouldn't buy one either.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:
The devs say they're fine with their current devices every time, then as soon as the new kid on the block comes out they hold donation drives on XDA/Rootzwiki to get people to fund the new device for them to 'develop' with.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Official response:
https://plus.google.com/+CyanogenMod/posts/7jywLJdswki

tl;dr: they haven't decided yet, and wont until they have the device (and that's how they handle every device - including the Nexus 4)

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

8th-samurai posted:

My Verizon Gnex had poo poo battery life on stock (shocking) even with Juice Defender. I am regularly getting 24+ hours on CM with lean kernel and greenify as my only battery saving app.

Well I decided to be optimistic and give it a go with CM10 and lean kernel. This is at least twice as terrible as before. I pulled my phone out and charged it when I noticed it was burning my leg. By the way that is a fast wall charger, where apparently it couldn't even keep up and was actually losing battery slightly before I disconnected it to go home for the day.

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 20, 2013

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

peepsalot posted:

Well I decided to be optimistic and give it a go with CM10 and lean kernel. This is at least twice as terrible as before. I pulled my phone out and charged it when I noticed it was burning my leg. By the way that is a fast wall charger, where apparently it couldn't even keep up and was actually losing battery slightly before I disconnected it to go home for the day.

Your signal is awful, it didn't show green once. That'll rape your battery.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

OK I guess I need to update PRL (and profile?) after any reflash like that? I was simply at home and work where I go every weekday and signal is not usually that bad.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

peepsalot posted:

OK I guess I need to update PRL (and profile?) after any reflash like that? I was simply at home and work where I go every weekday and signal is not usually that bad.

I do also run the "beastlybattery" power mode on lean kernel, but frankly I don't know all that much about tweaking that stuff. Something is definitely wrong. Here is my battery today, I have terrible signal at work and get worse battery life when I'm here versus at home and even that isn't as bad.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

8th-samurai posted:

I do also run the "beastlybattery" power mode on lean kernel, but frankly I don't know all that much about tweaking that stuff. Something is definitely wrong. Here is my battery today, I have terrible signal at work and get worse battery life when I'm here versus at home and even that isn't as bad.

That's because you're on wifi which overrides the use of mobile radios.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

The Gadfly posted:

That's because you're on wifi which overrides the use of mobile radios.

Right for data, the phone radio is still on right? Just not the LTE radio. I also never shut my wifi off, I used to use tasker to toggle it based on cell towers but it didn't make much difference in battery life so I stopped.

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 20, 2013

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

8th-samurai posted:

Right for data, the phone radio is still on right? Just not the LTE radio. I also never shut my wifi off, I used to use tasker to toggle it based on cell towers but it didn't make much difference in battery life so I stopped.

I think the mobile radios go into a passive state when wifi is on. They aren't using any data in this state so it requires very low power. I don't know exactly how it works and I might be wrong, but I'm guessing that a lot of the power required to communicate with a transmission tower is during an upload from your phone to the tower. I have no idea how many watts this takes, but it should be way more than just receiving a signal from the tower. The reason why bad mobile connections rape your battery life is because your losing tons of packets, and your phone is constantly having to resend requests for those packets to the tower. Each time you have to send a request, it requires a non-trivial amount of watts because your phone is having to generate a radio signal with its transmitter and send it to the tower. On the other hand, I doubt that receiving a signal takes much power. Your phone would just need the power to passively receive the signal. Wifi, being much shorter range, loses less packets which saves battery. The transmitter for wifi might also be more power efficient than the mobile radio transmitter.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

The Gadfly posted:

I think the mobile radios go into a passive state when wifi is on. They aren't using any data in this state so it requires very low power. I don't know exactly how it works and I might be wrong, but I'm guessing that a lot of the power required to communicate with a transmission tower is during an upload from your phone to the tower. I have no idea how many watts this takes, but it should be way more than just receiving a signal from the tower. The reason why bad mobile connections rape your battery life is because your losing tons of packets, and your phone is constantly having to resend requests for those packets to the tower. Each time you have to send a request, it requires a non-trivial amount of watts because your phone is having to generate a radio signal with its transmitter and send it to the tower. On the other hand, I doubt that receiving a signal takes much power. Your phone would just need the power to passively receive the signal. Wifi, being much shorter range, loses less packets which saves battery. The transmitter for wifi might also be more power efficient than the mobile radio transmitter.

No, I am talking about the telephone radio not the data. lovely signal on that will kill a battery dead on any phone ever and wifi has nothing to do with it.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I have a Galaxy S2 from Sprint. I'm tired of waiting for Jelly Bean, and tired of the crap Samsung gives me. However, a friend has told me that rooting/Cyanogenmod aren't the best options for the S2, due to bricking or something like that. Unfortunately, the OP dates back to 2010, so there's not much information there relevant for my phone. Should I look further into this, and where should I look? I know zero about rooting and using roms, Cyanogen is the only one I've ever really heard of, I just want to try out the Jelly Bean stuff that I'm missing and also other fun things. :(

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I have CM 10.1 on my Nexus 4 (nightly from the 17th), and I've noticed that the app switching thing sometimes takes several seconds to show up after I hit the soft key. Has anyone else experienced this?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

8th-samurai posted:

No, I am talking about the telephone radio not the data. lovely signal on that will kill a battery dead on any phone ever and wifi has nothing to do with it.

Right, but lovely voice/sms signal kills a battery dead a hell of a lot slower than lovely data. A half-rear end voice/SMS signal with wifi is probably less of a drain than lovely 3G. It's probably more than just juice used for transmitting, though. Data gets used by apps whereas it's not really the same with a voice signal while in standby.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

8th-samurai posted:

All radios on a telephone are "telephone radios" :v:

I'm not sure which radio you're talking about. WCDMA and GSM radios are decoupled, you only use one or the other. The other radios are for stuff like WLAN and BT. Which radio are you referring to specifically?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Like the poster above said, the voice/sms radios. Yes, they will kill a battery slower than a data connection but bad voice signal will still kill a battery. I used to have the same bad signal eating the battery issues in my office with a dumb phone. I have better cell reception at my house and get slightly better battery life there. I'm not even sure why this is confusing to you other than I don't know the specific sperg name for all the radios in the drat phone. Hell, I'm not even the one unhappy with my battery life.

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010
I'm pondering the Nexus 4, and I saw this on the shipping info page:

quote:

As a precondition of replacement, Google may remotely disable the damaged device which is to be returned to Google, with the consent of the purchaser.
What's the definition of "disabled" here- Wiped and banned from Google services, or actually bricked? I'm a bit disconcerted that they have the ability to do this. Would there be any way to stop this, while still using Google services?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Seven Round Things posted:

What's the definition of "disabled" here- Wiped and banned from Google services, or actually bricked? I'm a bit disconcerted that they have the ability to do this. Would there be any way to stop this, while still using Google services?
I think they're just talking about networking-blacklisting it.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

8th-samurai posted:

Like the poster above said, the voice/sms radios. Yes, they will kill a battery slower than a data connection but bad voice signal will still kill a battery. I used to have the same bad signal eating the battery issues in my office with a dumb phone. I have better cell reception at my house and get slightly better battery life there. I'm not even sure why this is confusing to you other than I don't know the specific sperg name for all the radios in the drat phone. Hell, I'm not even the one unhappy with my battery life.

You're talking about the GSM radio (2g). I didn't know that you were referring to the radio that is used for voice calls and sms when you said telephone radio.

WCDMA (3g) is the default network and the preferred network for data. This means that the phone isn't going to use the GSM radio unless you lose connection to WCDMA or you're calling someone or a sms message is being pushing to your phone. Basically it isn't used a whole lot and I doubt that the GSM radio is affecting his battery life, but he can check the signal strength by disabling 3g and seeing if his signal gets better. If he has a bad 3g connection and a good 2g connection, I would disable 3g at those locations to save battery. If he had a solid 3g connection and a poor 2g connection, I doubt that he would notice any battery drain unless the 2g connection is set to default.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I recently dropped ParanoidAndroid on my Toro (high ram use was a bummer; it kept killing Screen Filter in the middle of the night when I was using my phone in bed) and went back to Shiny but missed the color calibration, so I installed Franco Kernel, which I hadn't used in ages.

I don't know what the gently caress he did to his kernel (when I was using it a few months ago it was probably the best out there) but whenever I started streaming music through Spotify it would bring my phone to its knees. It even locked up after a while. I tried a few different profiles, but it kept happening regardless. I flashed back to stock and the issues were gone.

So I'd avoid Franco Kernel for the time being.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Seven Round Things posted:

Why does this clause bother you? If the phone is broken and you're returning it, what does it matter what level of "disable" they're doing? It's to make sure that the UPS dude or whoever can't steal the phone and get a free toy/make calls on your dime.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Why does this clause bother you?
Some folks find it disconcerting when hardware is technically capable of remote wiping/bricking on command from some agent other than the device's owner. It may well be that Google's policy is to not remote brick devices without the owner's consent, but policy has a funny way of being abused at times.

Edit: I don't know anything about any such implementation in the Nexus 4, that's just the general idea.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The Gadfly posted:

WCDMA (3g) is the default network and the preferred network for data. This means that the phone isn't going to use the GSM radio unless you lose connection to WCDMA or you're calling someone or a sms message is being pushing to your phone.

Voice calls and SMS are done over WCDMA/UMTS by default, it is not normal for your phone to go all the way back to GSM just to handle calls and texts unless you're in a situation where the 3G coverage is very bad but the 2G service is good - in those cases you'll still get the phone draining battery attempting to maintain a 3G signal though.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Walrusmaster posted:

Thank you both for your help. After trying 9 ROMs I finally found a version of AOKP that had the option AND wasn't horribly buggy.

What ROM did you end up with? The wife's phone is acting up and after a couple of days trying to figure out how HTC's fuckery works for rooting with the S-Off and all that other poo poo I think I may have it ready to go and I can download a new ROM for it. Coming from the S2 community the Sensation is a pain in the rear end to do anything worthwhile to and not many ROMs out there I am impressed with.

Golbez posted:

I have a Galaxy S2 from Sprint. I'm tired of waiting for Jelly Bean, and tired of the crap Samsung gives me. However, a friend has told me that rooting/Cyanogenmod aren't the best options for the S2, due to bricking or something like that. Unfortunately, the OP dates back to 2010, so there's not much information there relevant for my phone. Should I look further into this, and where should I look? I know zero about rooting and using roms, Cyanogen is the only one I've ever really heard of, I just want to try out the Jelly Bean stuff that I'm missing and also other fun things. :(

I have a TMO GS2 and have brutalized that phone since I learned to root it. I think the longest I have had a custom ROM installed is three weeks before something new catches my eye and I install it. Yes, you do have to be careful with the initial process because you can brick it but I have done some nasty stuff to it on occasion where I had to break out and use ODIN to do the wtf have you done factory restore but that is solely on me and not the ROM's or processes. There is a more recent post on xda forums that has a good how-to for your phone. The guy who started the post is pretty active and responds to inquiries it seems promptly so you may want to take a read and ask questions. It's the XDA forums and so long as you stick to the developers area and avoid the rest of the site you should be okay. I have never had problems with the forum area but I tend to stick to the developer area anyways.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 20, 2013

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Why does this clause bother you? If the phone is broken and you're returning it, what does it matter what level of "disable" they're doing? It's to make sure that the UPS dude or whoever can't steal the phone and get a free toy/make calls on your dime.

quote:

I'm a bit disconcerted that they have the ability to do this.

The actual clause isn't the problem, it's the power they must have if they're able to enforce it. I don't mind it being banned from Google services, or having its IMEI marked as stolen, or whatever- that all makes sense. But if by "disable" they mean "brick", then it's presumably phoning home frequently, asking its manufacturer whether it should stop working yet, and that's not something I want my device to be doing.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

demonR6 posted:

I have a TMO GS2 and have brutalized that phone since I learned to root it.
Fortunately for you, the T-Mo SGS2 is the complete antithesis of the E4GT in that it's actually not a pile of poo poo.

The problem is that the E4GT storage controller has a firmware bug whereby, simply wiping the device from some versions of stock recovery even can permanently brick it.

These days E4GT ROMs should all workaround and be safe from that particular problem, unless the packager is extremely neglectful.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Install Gentoo posted:

Voice calls and SMS are done over WCDMA/UMTS by default, it is not normal for your phone to go all the way back to GSM just to handle calls and texts unless you're in a situation where the 3G coverage is very bad but the 2G service is good - in those cases you'll still get the phone draining battery attempting to maintain a 3G signal though.

Ah, I'm on Verizon so I wasn't sure about that.

In that case, the radio used mainly for mobile data and the "telephone radio" are actually the same thing. For the guy with the battery life problems, I would still check to see if your 2g signal is any better and if it is, disable 3g where you get bad reception. If you're not so lucky, download an app like tasker and force the phone to only data sync maybe once an hour. That should help your battery go from being dry raped to only mildly raped... wait, that doesn't exist but you know what I mean.

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009

demonR6 posted:

What ROM did you end up with? The wife's phone is acting up and after a couple of days trying to figure out how HTC's fuckery works for rooting with the S-Off and all that other poo poo I think I may have it ready to go and I can download a new ROM for it. Coming from the S2 community the Sensation is a pain in the rear end to do anything worthwhile to and not many ROMs out there I am impressed with.

I'm using an AOKP variant from this XDA thread. You should use the latest 4.2.1 version on their goo.im repository, the 4.2.2 version had no camera and a broken keyboard, 4.2.1 (from February I think) worked perfectly, including the on-screen buttons.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Have not flashed a rom in forever. Just got an att s3, downloading cm10 stable (4.1) now from get.cm, what gapps do I use and where to download from? goo.im?

is https://www.cyanogenmod.com still compromised?

edit: never mind. after googling and going through xda I finally saw a guide right there on goo.im, 1 click away from the home saying which I need.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Mar 21, 2013

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I was reading a few pages back and some of you guys were getting some supposedly awesome battery lives on the vzw gnex. I'm running CM10.1 M2 with franco leankernel (since it supposedly has better battery life?) and the battery life is still trash. I understand the whole thing about bad reception = battery drain and such, but really even when I'm just playing music the whole phone dies at twice the rate. And more than a few times did the phone get ridiculously hot for no apparent reason, then burn through 40% battery in a few minutes for no apparent reason, although I think this could just be some rogue app running somewhere.

The performance is also trash, but I can't tell whether to blame unpolished CM10.1, or my phone being old. Can anyone recommend some good battery saver/performance kernels or something? :psyduck: Or should I just get a new phone immediately?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Logikv9 posted:

I was reading a few pages back and some of you guys were getting some supposedly awesome battery lives on the vzw gnex. I'm running CM10.1 M2 with franco leankernel (since it supposedly has better battery life?) and the battery life is still trash. I understand the whole thing about bad reception = battery drain and such, but really even when I'm just playing music the whole phone dies at twice the rate. And more than a few times did the phone get ridiculously hot for no apparent reason, then burn through 40% battery in a few minutes for no apparent reason, although I think this could just be some rogue app running somewhere.

The performance is also trash, but I can't tell whether to blame unpolished CM10.1, or my phone being old. Can anyone recommend some good battery saver/performance kernels or something? :psyduck: Or should I just get a new phone immediately?
My GSM Galaxy Nexus has excellent battery life on CM10.1 on the stock kernel, so much so that I've basically stopped even caring or checking on it. I know the VZW Galaxy Nexus has bad battery life due to the non-integrated LTE but what are you considering bad?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
What is the easiest way to get rid of root?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SalTheBard posted:

Your Superuser app should have an option to clean up the binary, then you just uninstall the app. Might depend on the phone though.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

SalTheBard posted:

Depends on your phone model. The best way is to reflash the original stock image to the device (not just a "reset device" action).

I never root until I have a proven reversion method on hand, just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

LastInLine posted:

My GSM Galaxy Nexus has excellent battery life on CM10.1 on the stock kernel, so much so that I've basically stopped even caring or checking on it. I know the VZW Galaxy Nexus has bad battery life due to the non-integrated LTE but what are you considering bad?

Worst case scenario is about 5 hours with occasional weak signal (but airplane mode on whenever there is no signal at all), with moderate use. On a normal day I usually get maybe 6-7 hours before I really, really need to recharge. Plugging in my phone about halfway through my day is required at this point.