Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Balcony
Sep 8, 2005
Dear Deidre...
I have just completed the main story of Batman: Arkham City. I think it needs saying again how great this game is. The WiiU controller has been really well integrated into the game. In some ways it reminds me of The Godfather: Blackhand Edition on the Wii, because that was also an underrated launch era port with a really well adapted control scheme (that didn't sell very well either). If you haven't played it on another system before, this version of the game is a worthy purchase. Especially as it contains all DLC and is already coming down in price in a lot of places.

It also made me realise that the new Zelda game probably should take inspiration from this game. First of all it has the most immersive combat system I have ever seen, showing that motion controlled flailing is not necessarily the way to go. Items such as the boomarang and hookshot are equivalent to the batarang and grapnel/line launchers anyway. Some of the Riddler puzzles require a lot of lateral thinking to solve, whereas a lot of puzzles in recent Zelda games have become too easy because everything has been made obvious. What Zelda really needs is for the hints system to be made optional, like in B:AC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Welp, here it is:

quote:

-Ultimate Deus Ex: Human Revolution experience : take advantage of a multitude of improvements, features and additional content that bring this already critically-acclaimed adventure towhole new levels
-Tap into the Wii U?s GamePad true potential: Adam Jensen?s newest augmentation, the Neural Hub, offers an immersive and empowering experience, right at the tips of your fingers
-Absolute fusion of action and role-play: A unique combination of action-packed close-quarter takedowns and intense shooting, offering a vast array of augmentations and upgrades for the many weapons at your disposal
-Multi-solution structure: Choose how to accomplish each mission using combat, hacking, stealth or social mode to create a customized experience to suit any gaming style
-Diverse customization: Engage in combat and challenges utilizing deep, specialized character augmentations and weapon upgrades

http://www.amazon.com/DeusEx-Revolu...iglink129408-20

May 7, $50.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Mar 19, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

pixaal posted:

MiiVerse just got a new community called Year of the Luigi.

A community for my favorite video game character? Don't mind if I do!

So glad the green guy's getting so much love :allears:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Welp, here it is:

That cover is a little... eh, generic dudeshoot I guess. Still, I'm interested in what the Neural Hub adds. I could use an excuse to play through Human Revolution again.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

This game is routinely $5-10 on pc (and was on sale this week on Xbox Live). A "director's cut" for $40 more?

What the fuuuuuck.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Soul Glo posted:

This game is routinely $5-10 on pc (and was on sale this week on Xbox Live). A "director's cut" for $40 more?

What the fuuuuuck.

*Sells 10k copies total, square-enix drops US Wii U support.

At least that means that's not the pax announcement, so maybe we are getting Final Fantasy 3.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Soul Glo posted:

What the fuuuuuck.

I'm curious to see what actually gets added (though I admit, it's probably not likely to be much). There were reports of a quite a bit of content cut during development, including several entire hubs (Upper Hong Kong and Montreal, I believe). Given how long it's been since the original release, and we don't know how long they've been working on it, maybe we'll get lucky and see those restored. Hell, maybe they'll at least get the boss fights rebuilt into something fun.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm curious to see what actually gets added (though I admit, it's probably not likely to be much). There were reports of a quite a bit of content cut during development, including several entire hubs (Upper Hong Kong and Montreal, I believe). Given how long it's been since the original release, and we don't know how long they've been working on it, maybe we'll get lucky and see those restored. Hell, maybe they'll at least get the boss fights rebuilt into something fun.

Oh, I admit they could earn the higher price tag. It's just as likely that they won't, though, if not more.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I wouldn't rely on an Amazon listing for price this far out, especially before official announcement. They probably put a placeholder in. Them again it could be $50, who knows. I guess that beats the $60 they wanted for Arkham City and Mass Effect 3.

I'd gladly pay $40 myself, granted my only exposure is Adam Jensen in VGCW, but I like the idea of a shooter I can do a pacifist run in.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Soul Glo posted:

What the fuuuuuck.

If the game retailed for $10 that would probably set a bad precedent.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

If the game retailed for $10 that would probably set a bad precedent.

Are you buying a $50 Deus Ex: HR for the Wii U?

e: Hypothetically, I mean. That $50 is a placeholder, most likely.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Mar 19, 2013

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They probably just threw the Missing Link DLC in there, added some touchscreen options, and called it a day.

I agree though, if they actually did add some significant content it would get me to buy it again because drat is that a good game.

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity

Crowbear posted:

They probably just threw the Missing Link DLC in there, added some touchscreen options, and called it a day.

I agree though, if they actually did add some significant content it would get me to buy it again because drat is that a good game.

Same here. I played it on PC upon release, so it has been a while since I last strolled in Jensen's shoes anyway. If the additional content and gamepad integration are good, I will gladly double-dip.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
It sounds like the only thing they're adding is whatever this one new augmentation is that you use the touch screen for. If that's the case then they're really not aiming to draw in people who have played it before.

Also that box art is terrible.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The neural hub sounds to me like it might just be the screen showing all of your augmentations, except on your gamepad.

Hopefully I'm wrong and it's more than that though.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders
I'd double dip at release if the "Director's Cut" fixes the boss fights. We should know more by PAX, I'll be curious to see what new content is included.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
There's no way they don't make the Neural Hub at least have a map. If they don't, every single person working on this deserves to be fired. Seriously, Off-TV Play and a map on the gamepad are the two most basic uses for the thing, and anyone who refuses to do even that much probably shouldn't be developing for the Wii U in the first place.

And on a unrelated note, I would really appreciate it if the Wii U's "Power down after downloads are finished" option worked, Nintendo. 60% is not "finished." Now I have to wait another two and half hours before I can play Lego City.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Artix posted:

And on a unrelated note, I would really appreciate it if the Wii U's "Power down after downloads are finished" option worked, Nintendo. 60% is not "finished." Now I have to wait another two and half hours before I can play Lego City.

Maybe the 1 hour no activity shutdown happened instead?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I get the weird feeling that when this thing doesn't meet Square-Enix's expectations they'll just turn around and sell it as DLC for the PC/PS3/360 versions of the game. Like I can already read the press release in my mind, maybe dropping around the time they announce either Human Defiance or The Fall and hey $15 gets you some sweet updates or something.

Probably an integration of The Missing Link, Save Tong, the weapon DLC, maybe they'll add in some cut content and change the boss fights to be more like The Missing Link's open environment with a strong dude you have multiple options to defeat style rather than slapdash deathmatch. I guess we'll see.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

elf help book posted:

It had been sitting there downloading just fine for about 10 hours prior to this. The only thing I can think of is that it might have gotten close to overheating, since I did play some Sonic Racing with friends for about two hours before leaving it to download overnight.

E: VV Nah, assuming the download timer is even remotely accurate, it'll end up somewhere around 12 hours for me to download. Which, to be honest, is way better than I was expecting for having to pull down 19 Gigs.

Artix fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 19, 2013

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Mine did the same thing, but early in the process and I noticed it almost immediately because I was watching TV in the same room at the time.

60% and still eight hours left? Geeze, sounds like I lucked out, the whole thing with interruption took eight hours. (Install itself then took half an hour)

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Amazon can't satisfy Lego City Undercover pre-orders. Looks like I'm off to other retailers.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

zenintrude posted:

Amazon can't satisfy Lego City Undercover pre-orders. Looks like I'm off to other retailers.

I wonder if this is indicative of its success or Amazon's underestimation.

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

I am a fan of how complicated this advert makes monster hunter 3 look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYzpllq8uwo

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Long John Power posted:

I am a fan of how complicated this advert makes monster hunter 3 look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYzpllq8uwo

First thing I thought of...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-CHG_To7Ag

IT'S TIME TO SLAY THE DRAGON

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Amazon may actually be sold out of Lego City due to pre-orders, but from what I understand none of the major retailers actually got the game in yet.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

katkillad2 posted:

Amazon may actually be sold out of Lego City due to pre-orders, but from what I understand none of the major retailers actually got the game in yet.

On the flip side, it wasn't available on Target's website last night, but said it could be found in stores.

I wonder if Nintendo tried to push it back at the last minute as to not blow a load of 5 games on the same day.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
On another site I saw someone calling the Wii U version of MH3U a port of the 3DS version. I can see how that could be true considering the 3DS version launched exactly a year before the Wii U version in Japan, but can anybody confirm this? It's not a big deal either way, but I'm just curious.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

As someone in Europe are there any eShop shenanigans I can pull to get the game a couple of days early?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kiggles posted:

Yes, but the going assumption is that had more to do with the packed FFXII demo. It was basically my first Dragon Quest(Warrior) since the original on NES, and I didn't take to it initially. I only came back to it after maybe a couple of years when I got to watch a guy who worked the night shift at a gym play some of the bonus content. Pretty cool fellow, that.

It was crazy how that game was packaged, the demo and manual for it where front and center, its like they didn't give a crap DQ8.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

KimT posted:

The neural hub sounds to me like it might just be the screen showing all of your augmentations, except on your gamepad.

They did say it was a new augmentation...

Alteisen posted:

It was crazy how that game was packaged, the demo and manual for it where front and center, its like they didn't give a crap DQ8.

It's like they knew people liked Final Fantasy! I CAN'T EVEN loving IMAGINE!

EDIT: But seriously, bear in mind that Dragon Quest had very little presence in America for a decade.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 19, 2013

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Joramun posted:

On another site I saw someone calling the Wii U version of MH3U a port of the 3DS version. I can see how that could be true considering the 3DS version launched exactly a year before the Wii U version in Japan, but can anybody confirm this? It's not a big deal either way, but I'm just curious.

It's the same game, the Wii U version adds HD and online play. You can freely swap your save between the two.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lizard Wizard posted:

It's like they knew people liked Final Fantasy! I CAN'T EVEN loving IMAGINE!

EDIT: But seriously, bear in mind that Dragon Quest had very little presence in America for a decade.

I just think that's messed up, its you're not even giving the game a chance, its just convenient platform for your stupid demo.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Alteisen posted:

I just think that's messed up, its you're not even giving the game a chance, its just convenient platform for your stupid demo.

The demo's supporting the game. Ever heard of a little indie title called Crackdown?

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

It's the same game, the Wii U version adds HD and online play. You can freely swap your save between the two.
Yeah, they're pretty much identical aside from that. It's pretty remarkable how well the 3DS handles the lighting effects when the Wii version didn't even have dynamic shadows.

J
Jun 10, 2001

elf help book posted:

Does this normally interrupt downloads? If so, where do I go to disable this setting? I've currently got MH3U downloading on my lunch break and I don't want it to gently caress up while I'm at work.

edit: Nevermind, found the setting. Still curious if it interrupts downloads regularly though.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Joramun posted:

The 3DS game came out in December 2011 in Japan. Then ported to Wii U a year later. The western territories are just now getting it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

J posted:

Does this normally interrupt downloads? If so, where do I go to disable this setting? I've currently got MH3U downloading on my lunch break and I don't want it to gently caress up while I'm at work.

edit: Nevermind, found the setting. Still curious if it interrupts downloads regularly though.

I think automatic shutdown is disabled when there are downloads active.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

njsykora posted:

I think automatic shutdown is disabled when there are downloads active.

It's not, I got automatic-shutdowned earlier today while a download was running and when I started it back up there was a popup telling me that it had been an automatic shutdown and that I could disable that if I wanted to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameboyHero
Apr 11, 2010

So what's the verdict on the Wii U version of Most Wanted? I've checking around and I can't find anything on reviews and previews aside from the Game Informer review and RadarPlays playthrough. It looks good and I'm aching for a new NFS for a while.

Right now, if anyone else is curious, Origin is doing a spring sale and they have all version of it for $30 at the moment.

• Locked thread