Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I can't imagine you can possibly make a Thunderolt appreciably *worse*.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Resolved: there was a BT app that I had installed that was not happy, from when I was trying to do some tethering.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Dr Blah PhD posted:

2)I have a Razr m thats rooted, which app will make it into a wifi hotspot? I noticed foxfi got updated today, and when I tried to enable a wifi hotspot for a test run, I got "Your carrier has blocked wifi mode in jellybean".

When rooted, the answer is almost always android-wifi-tether.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

Has anyone here rooted a RAZR HD? I never root my devices but I rooted my nexus 7 and wanna look into rooting my phone.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

kstatix posted:

Has anyone here rooted a RAZR HD? I never root my devices but I rooted my nexus 7 and wanna look into rooting my phone.

It's sort of a pain because you have to roll all the way back to 4.0.4, root, and then apply two OTAs to get back to 4.1. There's no root hole in 4.1 directly.

Also for what it's worth the HD has a root detection mechanism as of 4.1. The system can tell if it is rooted now, or if it's ever been rooted. You can flash all the way back to 4.0 again and remove root if you like, but it will only reset the "rooted now" flag and not the "ever rooted" flag.

Don't know if they'd use this to deny warranty claims or not.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

ProjektorBoy posted:

Scream from the rooftops. True fact right here.

I think it works better in general than anything even non root.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

kitten smoothie posted:

It's sort of a pain because you have to roll all the way back to 4.0.4, root, and then apply two OTAs to get back to 4.1. There's no root hole in 4.1 directly.

Also for what it's worth the HD has a root detection mechanism as of 4.1. The system can tell if it is rooted now, or if it's ever been rooted. You can flash all the way back to 4.0 again and remove root if you like, but it will only reset the "rooted now" flag and not the "ever rooted" flag.

yeah I don't like the sound of this. Thanks for the input.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

kitten smoothie posted:

Yeah, apparently Good wont work without an enterprise feature code on your line.

My dad has grandfathered unlimited and Verizon will not let him move up to the enterprise unlimited plan, no matter who he asks. But he doesn't want to lose the unlimited tethering buy-up so he just gave up and tethers his iPad.

I've never heard of this whatsoever and pretty sure this is false. Are you sure about this? My wife's plan has good on two devices, but the problem is that good is a completely poo poo app and will kill your battery with wakelocks.

Notably, I've installed good and got it working on a: her razr on our grandfathered unlimited (not enterprise) and b: on her Nexus tablet which obviously has no plan of any sort whatsoever.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

ProjektorBoy posted:

What about when not rooted? FoxFi is giving me a bunch of garbage about having to upgrade to a paid app now.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

kitten smoothie posted:

I'm going to have to do some real digging as a quick search didn't pull up anything, but...

Didn't Caterpillar lose a lawsuit over warranty claims that they were denying based on the type of oil used? IIRC, they dumped a bunch of warranty claims back on the customer because they didn't use the exact brand of oil spelled out in the manual (unsurprisingly sold only by Caterpillar). A bunch of them got together, sued, and won because that's some bullshit.

As I said, I need to research it further, since I'm probably off a bit on the details, but...

Wouldn't something like this apply as precedence?

I mean, I can understand denying claims because a phone is currently rooted, because sometimes software poo poo can cause real problems. But denying because a phone was ever rooted is some real bullshit.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

The Human Cow posted:

What about when not rooted? FoxFi is giving me a bunch of garbage about having to upgrade to a paid app now.

If I weren't rooted for some reason I'd probably end up trusting the great Koushik Dutta with his no-root tether tool ClockworkMod Tether. It's no wifi hotspot but it's better than nothing.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I've never heard of this whatsoever and pretty sure this is false. Are you sure about this? My wife's plan has good on two devices, but the problem is that good is a completely poo poo app and will kill your battery with wakelocks.

Notably, I've installed good and got it working on a: her razr on our grandfathered unlimited (not enterprise) and b: on her Nexus tablet which obviously has no plan of any sort whatsoever.
Maybe it has to do with the Good configuration server-side, I don't know, but he most definitely couldn't use it without the special data plan. He had no problem putting his phone in hotspot mode and using Good on his iPad connected to it, but he cannot use it on his Bionic and he spent a fair amount of time dealing with his company's Good rep, corporate IT, and Verizon, all trying to sort it out.

His experience is along these lines in this thread. The Good rep told him a feature code that needs to be added to the line for Good to work. Verizon will not add that feature code to line that has a $30 unlimited plan. His Good rep got him in touch with someone at Verizon to try to swap the data plan into the $45 unlimited enterprise plan, but he couldn't get anywhere on that.

Here's what Good says about it (apologies for the fact that it's a powerpoint file, I guess that's the only way that big business finds it credible).

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
That appears to be from 2012. I'm going to ask again, are you at all sure that is the case? Net neutrality issues would make this explicitly illegal for them to do at this point. Making some noise at corporate if this actually occurs would probably "magically" fix that poo poo. That aside, there is a lot of flaky good config to get that piece of poo poo app to work. To make things better corporate IT typically don't understand good that well, either.

Still sitting on a razr which has been syncing good for more than a year.

probably drunk
Dec 25, 2009

by Lowtax
I know this has been asked a million times on here already, but I am very wary and need to know exactly what to do.

I have 3 lines, 2 are SP, one is dumbphone. I want to keep my grandfathered unlimited on my SP lines. Verizon sales said just to upgrade the dumbphone, then move it to another line that I want it to be on, then re-register the old dumb phone to the line I upgraded. OK, but everytime I call activation they say no, try to force me to 2gb, won't do it, etc. etc.

Plus I hear horror stories from people getting screwed.

Right now I have the new phone, a Galaxy Note II, that was upgraded on the dumbphone account. It has not yet been activated.

I have unmodified unlimited data plans for my other two lines.

How EXACTLY do I get that galaxy note II onto one of my grandfathered lines without losing my grandfathered plan?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

You need to activate the phone on the dumbphone line, which will put 2GB/month on it.

Then swap your current SIM into the new phone, and reactivate the old phone on the dumbphone line, cancelling the data plan.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

probably drunk posted:

I know this has been asked a million times on here already, but I am very wary and need to know exactly what to do.

I have 3 lines, 2 are SP, one is dumbphone. I want to keep my grandfathered unlimited on my SP lines. Verizon sales said just to upgrade the dumbphone, then move it to another line that I want it to be on, then re-register the old dumb phone to the line I upgraded. OK, but everytime I call activation they say no, try to force me to 2gb, won't do it, etc. etc.

Plus I hear horror stories from people getting screwed.

Right now I have the new phone, a Galaxy Note II, that was upgraded on the dumbphone account. It has not yet been activated.

I have unmodified unlimited data plans for my other two lines.

How EXACTLY do I get that galaxy note II onto one of my grandfathered lines without losing my grandfathered plan?

1) On the receipt for your order, make sure the "Activating MDN: xxx-xxx-xxxx" field has the number for the dumb phone. Going through with activation ensures that the line is activated on the dumb phone to complete the order. This is 100% necessary. Once that's done, login to your verizon account online and follow the steps to reactivate the old dumb phone. You won't even have to *228 to reprogram the phone, just process the change online.

2) Now go and reactivate the note 2 on your line using the same steps for the dumb phone. This may or may not require a new SIM card(this process is still developing and it's hit or miss). If it requires a new sim card, just go into the store and have them complete activation for you or just ask for the sim card and go home and complete the activation of the note 2 on your line.

Any time you lose unlimited data due to somebody loving up, you have 14 days to have a representative file an "Inactive Pricing Request" to reinstate your unlimited data. For any of you wondering, this will not work if you just complete a traditional upgrade and then call in to request an inactive pricing request. In the case of you losing unlimited data due to a traditional upgrade, the only way to reverse it is by returning the phone and paying the restocking fee AND THEN requesting an inactive pricing request. This is all apart of vzw's "Customer Guarantee".

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:
Anyone near Jacksonville, Gainesville, Ocala Florida getting network slowdown? I usually get 40-60 down w LTE. Struggling to push 10 currently. Which is plenty for now. Just curious if someone knows something I don't.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

AlexDeGruven posted:

I'm going to have to do some real digging as a quick search didn't pull up anything, but...

Didn't Caterpillar lose a lawsuit over warranty claims that they were denying based on the type of oil used? IIRC, they dumped a bunch of warranty claims back on the customer because they didn't use the exact brand of oil spelled out in the manual (unsurprisingly sold only by Caterpillar). A bunch of them got together, sued, and won because that's some bullshit.

As I said, I need to research it further, since I'm probably off a bit on the details, but...

Wouldn't something like this apply as precedence?

I mean, I can understand denying claims because a phone is currently rooted, because sometimes software poo poo can cause real problems. But denying because a phone was ever rooted is some real bullshit.

In short: federal law is such that a manufacturer cannot deny a warranty claim based on a modification unless said modification can be proved to have caused the fault. Basically, if you send in your phone because the LCD poo poo out, you should be fine. (Granted, that doesn't mean they will follow this.)

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
I went back a few pages but didn't see much about this in particular, so I'll ask it.

My Razr Maxx just updated to Jelly Bean a couple days ago and now FoxFi has ceased working. I use it maybe once a month at most, so I didn't notice right away. If I attempt to run it, I get the subscription notification from Verizon saying I have to pay the $20/mo for the "privilege" of using hotspot. This is where I become massive confused because I don't have an unlimited data account but rather the 4GB for the price of 2GB promo they were running a year or so ago.

According to the FCC ruling from last year, Verizon cannot block 3rd party apps from using the Wifi on the phones to create a hotspot so long as the account the phone is tied to does not have unlimited data. I have tried several other hotspot apps/widgets and they all have the same outcome of dumping me to the subscription dialog. But, for the life of me, I cannot see how this doesn't violate the ruling the FCC handed down to Verizon (and fined them for).

I know FoxFi is working on some Nexus and SIII phones, but I do wonder if those phones are on the newer share everything plans. Apparently, if you have one of those plans, hotspot is free?

So, I guess my question is has anyone here taken this argument to Verizon and at least got a response out of them one way or another? Is it worth going by a corporate store and attempting to get them to give me hotspot for free since no apps apparently work anymore? I absolutely refuse to pay anything for hotspot functionality (mostly because I so rarely use it but also because I don't think carriers should have the right to block it since they'd get paid for data overages anyway, which is always the chief concern that gets voiced when this comes up). I cannot see how they'd argue blocking the 3rd party apps as they are currently doing under the JB update is anything but going completely against the FCC's ruling.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The issue is with FoxFi and Jelly Bean, not with Verizon.

Also, technically the FCC said that Verizon can't block the installation of tethering apps from the marketplace. It didn't say anything about them working properly.

http://pdanet.co/help/devices.php

You can see, it doesn't work on Jelly Bean on any carrier or even on the Galaxy Nexus.

Fluue
Jan 2, 2008
If you don't mind using USB tethering, I've had success using EasyTether with JellyBean.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

bull3964 posted:

The issue is with FoxFi and Jelly Bean, not with Verizon.

Also, technically the FCC said that Verizon can't block the installation of tethering apps from the marketplace. It didn't say anything about them working properly.

http://pdanet.co/help/devices.php

You can see, it doesn't work on Jelly Bean on any carrier or even on the Galaxy Nexus.

Yet shockingly it works on some jelly bean devices.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

EbolaIvory posted:

Yet shockingly it works on some jelly bean devices.

I don't see any on that list there. In every single case it states that 4.1+ breaks it.

The ONLY exception on that list is it says it works under 4.1 for the Galaxy Nexus, but right next to it it says "do not upgrade to jellybean" so I'm thinking that's a typo.

Edit: I see it was fixed for the Verizon Galaxy Nexus and only the Verizon Galaxy Nexus back in October and only with 4.1.

I'm pretty sure what happened here is JB changed the hooks that carriers use to charge for mobile hotspot and the apps are no longer able to work around the paywalls as effectively.

Regardless, the FCC only said that Verizon couldn't block you from downloading and running tethering apps. They are NOT required to give you service though them.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 16, 2013

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

bull3964 posted:

I don't see any on that list there. In every single case it states that 4.1+ breaks it.

The ONLY exception on that list is it says it works under 4.1 for the Galaxy Nexus, but right next to it it says "do not upgrade to jellybean" so I'm thinking that's a typo.

Edit: I see it was fixed for the Verizon Galaxy Nexus and only the Verizon Galaxy Nexus back in October and only with 4.1.

I'm pretty sure what happened here is JB changed the hooks that carriers use to charge for mobile hotspot and the apps are no longer able to work around the paywalls as effectively.

Regardless, the FCC only said that Verizon couldn't block you from downloading and running tethering apps. They are NOT required to give you service though them.

S3 works fine.
Using it on mine actually. Works great

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Interesting. Motorola doesn't consider going from 4.1.1 to 4.1.2 an OS upgrade.

Also, bye bye Verizon App store :)

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
Razr M now free after rebate.

Hard to think of getting anything else at this point.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Mighty Horse posted:

Razr M now free after rebate.

Hard to think of getting anything else at this point.

maybe a phone with significantly better battery life?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Unless you're getting a phone with a bigass battery like the Maxx or Note 2, the Razr M is one of the best of the buch in terms of battery life.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

notwithoutmyanus posted:

That would really only be the HD maxx if I'm not mistaken. The RAZR m has been fairly solid.

E: beaten. The note 2 does have the same capacity as the maxx series but doesn't seem to have the same longevity. At least this is what I'm hearing from coworkers who have the note 2.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

kstatix posted:

That would really only be the HD maxx if I'm not mistaken. The RAZR m has been fairly solid.

E: beaten. The note 2 does have the same capacity as the maxx series but doesn't seem to have the same longevity. At least this is what I'm hearing from coworkers who have the note 2.

Similar not the Same. And big rear end screen. Standby is pretty similar.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
hd maxx was indeed exactly what I was alluding to. never, ever go back to less than 2-4 days of standby on a phone. screw every incarnation of phones in terms of battery life, where we have had to settle for drastically less for the last 4-6 years. There are a few phones with extended battery that can match the maxx, such as SGS3 with an extended battery, and Razr M is not one of them.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
RAZR M can easily get 2 days with stock battery.

ShinAli
May 2, 2003

The Kid better watch his step.
I really want to switch to Verizon as I'm getting tired of Sprint's bullshit service (though it's impeccable in San Francisco, too bad I don't live there) but it looks like I can't get anything other than the new Share Everything plans. They basically wiped everything else out? I kind of don't care about sharing data or having unlimited minutes. It all seems kind of expensive :(

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

ShinAli posted:

I really want to switch to Verizon as I'm getting tired of Sprint's bullshit service (though it's impeccable in San Francisco, too bad I don't live there) but it looks like I can't get anything other than the new Share Everything plans. They basically wiped everything else out? I kind of don't care about sharing data or having unlimited minutes. It all seems kind of expensive :(

Yep, if you're a new customer your only choice is a Share Everything plan, even if you're only sharing with yourself.

Honestly at that pricing I don't know how anyone can really justify Verizon as an individual user, unless you live or work in an area where there is abysmal coverage from every other carrier.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, if I weren't already a Verizon customer, I would 100% be going with At&t at this point. Pricing for individuals is outside the realm of sanity.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
You can still technically activate the Nationwide plans if you A) know someone OR B) need international calling to Canada. I would go option B and then call care and have them switch you to one of the non-canada plans.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
The last week or so, my note 2 won't charge overnight, and there is always an error in the morning from Verizon backup assist about the phone number being changed. Is there any way to fix this beyond rooting? I think it's clear this program is wakelocking the phone but Android doesn't have any feature in aware of to kill wakelocking processes.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Why don't you disable the app?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

For what it's worth, people are reporting that the new RAZR HD update to 4.1.2 includes security changes that restrict your ability to downgrade to an older version (and thus making it currently unrootable since it requires that you downgrade in order to apply root). So I guess if you care about rooting the thing, then don't accept the update yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

kitten smoothie posted:

For what it's worth, people are reporting that the new RAZR HD update to 4.1.2 includes security changes that restrict your ability to downgrade to an older version (and thus making it currently unrootable since it requires that you downgrade in order to apply root). So I guess if you care about rooting the thing, then don't accept the update yet.

If you really want to downgrade, it isn't that big of an obstacle. There's always the RSDLite option.

In other news, Verizon stated that 4.2.2 for the Galaxy Nexus is starting to roll today.

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/03/19/its-official-verizon-announces-android-4-2-update-for-the-galaxy-nexus/

• Locked thread