Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorkon
Nov 21, 2008

WE CARE A LOT

DOOP posted:

Between Soccer, Hockey, and F1, NBC is going all in on sports Americans don't watch.

NBC owns

Don't forget, they show CFL and I think curling as well.

Rename it TSN South

or at least make TSN available in the USA. C'mon, do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

Vertical Lime posted:

Mariotti wrote a piece on Kobe.

For ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9051655/nba-los-angeles-lakers-kobe-bryant-running-show

They say it's a one-time deal this article, but they started letting Stephen A. Smith get ESPN gigs again and look where he is now.

Thanks for the heads up on not clicking that link. Dude deserves no traffic.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

DOOP posted:

Between Soccer, Hockey, and F1, NBC is going all in on sports Americans don't watch.

NBC owns

And cycling!

Except for F1 and the hunting/fishing shows, I enjoy everything on NBCSN. Love the NHL, MLS, cycling, all of it. All those audiences are growing.

If TSN came here, I'd love it.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Listening to a pair of Pittsburgh sports radio guys make asses out of themselves counts as journalism, doesn't it?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Cook writes a garbage column for the Post Gazette too so yes

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

ElwoodCuse posted:

Cook writes a garbage column for the Post Gazette too so yes

Don't almost all sports-talk hosts write a garbage column somewhere?

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

AceFace905 posted:

Fixed. Both MLS and NHL outdrew the NBA on a per-game basis last season, though the NBA definitely has the cultural high ground still. Anymore I would say MLS has as much a right to the #4 sports league as the NHL, if not moreso.

The NHL is definitely still more relevant than MLS at the moment. On the other hand, the question of whether soccer or hockey as a whole (rather than comparing the two leagues) is more popular in the US is an interesting question.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

AsInHowe posted:

Don't almost all sports-talk hosts write a garbage column somewhere?

He's been with the paper longer.

Honestly that whole station is garbage except for Chris Mueller

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

Vertical Lime posted:

Mariotti wrote a piece on Kobe.

For ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9051655/nba-los-angeles-lakers-kobe-bryant-running-show

They say it's a one-time deal this article, but they started letting Stephen A. Smith get ESPN gigs again and look where he is now.

Mariotti, coming soon to First Take

FuzzySkinner posted:

In the end guys like Cowherd, Bayless and SAS are a dime a dozen. You can stick any idiot in a chair, hand him some talking points and let him go to town. And that's exactly what will happen the mere second any of those goofballs drop some sort of racist/sexist/homophobic comment. You'll see them whisked away, and some other idiot will be put in the same exact chair.

This was eerily prescient

AceFace905
Feb 27, 2007

OrangeKing posted:

The NHL is definitely still more relevant than MLS at the moment. On the other hand, the question of whether soccer or hockey as a whole (rather than comparing the two leagues) is more popular in the US is an interesting question.
I think the NHL is currently more relevant, but the prolonged mismanagement of the league over the last decade or two put that in question. Soccer is more popular as a sport, but the popularity of pro soccer has never approached the popularity of youth soccer over the years, and has only recently reached a level where we can really put MLS in an argument with the top sports leagues in America.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

AceFace905 posted:

I think the NHL is currently more relevant, but the prolonged mismanagement of the league over the last decade or two put that in question. Soccer is more popular as a sport, but the popularity of pro soccer has never approached the popularity of youth soccer over the years, and has only recently reached a level where we can really put MLS in an argument with the top sports leagues in America.
MLS is not a properly managed league itself.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

MLS is not a properly managed league itself.
I don't think anyone with any knowledge of the MLS can make an argument in good faith that the MLS was better off before Garber came along. It may not be ideally managed, but they've been growing the game at a consistently impressive pace and have improved franchise stability about tenfold over the last ten years. TV deals are getting better, average attendance has gone consistently up, and Garber's proclamation that it would be regarded as a serious league around the world by 2022 doesn't really seem like an enormous pipedream anymore.

It's really loving hard to grow a soccer league in the United States of America. There are lots of problems but I've been very impressed with how things have been handled over the last eight years or so.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The problem was trying to make glamour cities love soccer instead of just adding soccer teams to cities already passionate about it. Adding Portland and Seattle has been huge.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
This honestly just makes me sick

Some quotes:

quote:

The Better Rays’ Josh Lueke Pitches, The More His Checkered Past Is Pushed Aside

You can hate Josh Lueke’s guts, but you have to appreciate the way he has persevered through the critical mistake he made and all the opportunities that have passed him by. Since his arrest, Lueke has stayed out of trouble and has never been regarded as a problem in any clubhouse he has been in.

And as Lueke finds success for the first time at the major level, we’ll be captivated by his dominating arsenal, and justifiably or not, his past will be forgotten as Rays fans watch him help their team win games.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
On top of all the terrible parts about Leueke's past the baseball parts are awful (a 3.01 FIP is not anything near outstanding for a relief pitcher). Why does SI have their name attached to this blog?

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Yeah you have to appreciate the way he's persevered through raping some woman. What a guy.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

leokitty posted:

On top of all the terrible parts about Leueke's past the baseball parts are awful (a 3.01 FIP is not anything near outstanding for a relief pitcher). Why does SI have their name attached to this blog?

Because Time-Warner is circling the drain.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

haljordan posted:

Yeah you have to appreciate the way he's persevered through raping some woman. What a guy.
Once again, the Onion has a relevant video clip for just about everything.

gently caress Leueke and gently caress the author of that post for not even mentioning his crime. Goddamn.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The media's coverage of the Steubenville football rape case verdict was essentially "those kids had a promising football career ahead of them, it's a shame that this jail time is gonna ruin their careers" and stressed heavily that the victim was drunk. It's a drat shame that the Lueke piece is pretty much par for the course.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2013/march/sports-illustrated-to-give-peter-king-his-own-grantland-style-website.html

quote:

It's hard to believe it's been almost two years since ESPN and Bill Simmons launched Grantland. Now, Sports Illustrated looks to play copycat by giving its most popular writer his own, uniquely-branded offshoot site, according to Deadspin. The in-house working title, according to that report, is "Kinglandia," which of course sounds ridiculous and awesome at the same time.

:suicide:

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Toffile posted:

Because Time-Warner is circling the drain.

SI and their other magazines are going to be spun off into a separate company soon. They don't have a prayer.

As a side-effect, TNT/TBS/CNN will only have Bleacher Report to fall back on for sports news. That just looks bad.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Vertical Lime posted:

SI and their other magazines are going to be spun off into a separate company soon. They don't have a prayer.

As a side-effect, TNT/TBS/CNN will only have Bleacher Report to fall back on for sports news. That just looks bad.

Ideally, they'll invest money in BR and, over the long term, try to include a bigger focus on legitimate reporting. It'll be interesting to see what happens as traditional newspapers (and beat writers) start disappearing.

The_Hat
Sep 24, 2008

The comments on the Lueke article unanimously blast the author, temporarily restoring my faith in humanity

edit: Top 2 comments:

quote:

gently caress you you rape apologist.

quote:

If his past is ever forgotten, we will have failed as a species. No amount of baseballs pitched will ever make him not human garbage. Saying he deserves a pass is abhorrent.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

The_Hat posted:

The comments on the Lueke article unanimously blast the author, temporarily restoring my faith in humanity

edit: Top 2 comments:

Thus marking the first time in the history of the internet that comments on internet content restored faith in humanity instead of doing quite the opposite.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

No Safe Word posted:

Thus marking the first time in the history of the internet that comments on internet content restored faith in humanity instead of doing quite the opposite.
Given that the top comment was posted by someone with the username Rene BORK, I am reasonably certain this is because said comment came from one of our own. We are the masters of BORK BORK BORK, after all.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Vertical Lime posted:

SI does.

NBCSN needs a legitimate name to tie themselves too, and you had better believe SI fits that mold.

They already have a partnership with Dan Patrick (who writes "Just my type"), and I also believe they have a news magazine airing on the channel.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/more/07/02/sportsillustrated.nbc/index.html

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 19, 2013

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Josh Lueke pled guilty to a crime and served time in jail. You can say the justice system failed, and you can certainly hate the guy, but is no one ever again allowed to evaluate him (badly lol) as a baseball player without falling all over themselves to assure everyone that Rape Is Bad? That's a poor article, but "rape apology?" I don't see it.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

The Pussy Boss posted:

Josh Lueke pled guilty to a crime and served time in jail. You can say the justice system failed, and you can certainly hate the guy, but is no one ever again allowed to evaluate him (badly lol) as a baseball player without falling all over themselves to assure everyone that Rape Is Bad? That's a poor article, but "rape apology?" I don't see it.

"The Rays traded a player who was about to break out for a reliever who couldn’t get anyone out- and his criminal record only exacerbates the situation. But in reality, the situation is far better than it appears.

You can hate Josh Lueke’s guts, but you have to appreciate the way he has persevered through the critical mistake he made and all the opportunities that have passed him by."

how do you not see apologia in that? Is your reading comprehension that bad?

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

The Pussy Boss posted:

gently caress you

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

ManifunkDestiny posted:

how do you not see apologia in that? Is your reading comprehension that bad?

Everyone who gets out of jail should just commit suicide and never try to get a job again. Got it. Sex offenders can never be rehabilitated.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

The Pussy Boss posted:

no no no This isn't even true. He pled NO CONTEST to the lesser charge of FALSE IMPRISONMENT, sentenced to 42 DAYS in prison, time served prior to making bail. This is what would be known as a "slap on the wrist."

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

The Pussy Boss posted:

Everyone who gets out of jail should just commit suicide and never try to get a job again. Got it. Sex offenders can never be rehabilitated.

Holy christ it's a really bad loving idea for you to dig yourself deeper into this

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

The Pussy Boss posted:

Writing rape off as a "mistake" is absolutely apologizing for him. Raping someone isn't a mistake. Rape is one of the most vile crimes there is. Accidentally hitting Reply All and sending an embarrassing e-mail to all your coworkers is a mistake. Rape is rape.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

The Pussy Boss posted:

The article in question says that it's because of baseball talent that people will and should forgive not because of his actions as a person.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

The Pussy Boss posted:

You can address his abilities as a baseball player and talk about his performance without bringing up his raping a girl as a challenge that he had to overcome. That's what is wrong with the article -- not that someone is daring to write about Lueke at all, but that it treats his crime as something that he persevered through and that will fade away if he pitches well.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

The Pussy Boss posted:

So I'll take that as a "yes" then on the reading comprehension.

Seriously, the article's central premise is that "Josh Leuke will be forgiven as he throws baseballs better." Forget the act itself, or the time served, but that his bettering his FIP will make his crime more excusable.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Yeah when the author says "persevere" it makes you think that he survived childhood cancer or something, not a bullshit punishment for raping & sodomizing a girl and then later lying his rear end off about it.

A cool damn horse
Jan 25, 2009

Yeah the fact that SI more or less endorses that blog is unbelievable. What is with the mainstream media and the sudden influx of rape apologists?

Craig Calcaterra just tweeted about this article and I can't believe it exists in the first place. The NFL inexplicably scheduled the Ravens' opener over the same time as a White Sox-Orioles game, the series opener right after the two teams have to travel and play the night before. Even if they didn't, MLB shouldn't have to reschedule this in the first place because why the gently caress would the NFL schedule this Thursday anyways? It's ridiculous and Selig shouldn't budge.

Michael Silver apparently doesn't agree. I understand writing for Yahoo! Sports isn't exactly prestigious work but really, how can anyone think this is acceptable to publish? I wasn't aware anyone liked Roger Goodell that much, let alone see him as this macho figure who should be pushing around MLB because it's THE MOST POPULAR SPECTATOR SPORT RAGGGGH.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Nevermind. Video already posted on this page.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

A cool drat horse posted:

I wasn't aware anyone liked Roger Goodell that much, let alone see him as this macho figure

Peter King thinks he's dreamy.