Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

PuntCuncher posted:

Not everything, but here's a cross section and most shots from their pin-up day.

http://imgur.com/a/lml0v

I'm going to finish cleaning my house then go take some photos of my own. I'm not a brilliant artist by any measure, but I know I couldn't produce work like that and expect people to want to pay me for it.

EDIT: No, just loving... christ.

Resurrect the terrible photography thread.

I think the key that's making these so awful is that it's too cluttered, and there's no control of the light. That is, everything is lit almost equally. Key on the subject, , bike (:swoon:) at -1, background at -2 and it becomes at least somewhat passable as a 'pinup' photo. Everything about the photos as-is says ":effort:" The umbrella one could be interesting, if they hid a speedlight in there and used a snoot or something like that for the face.

Wait, are they putting on a pinup workshop? or is that facebook post unrelated?

E: content snype:

Samantha Fitness-1.jpg by Chris Hayden Photo, on Flickr

E2: Tried to d/b and retouch, but I only use LR, so I hope that's better. Nothing wider, just beside her knee/ankles are the edge of my backdrop.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

red19fire posted:

Resurrect the terrible photography thread.

I think the key that's making these so awful is that it's too cluttered, and there's no control of the light. That is, everything is lit almost equally. Key on the subject, , bike (:swoon:) at -1, background at -2 and it becomes at least somewhat passable as a 'pinup' photo. Everything about the photos as-is says ":effort:" The umbrella one could be interesting, if they hid a speedlight in there and used a snoot or something like that for the face.
I think the couple shots of the bloke could at least go somewhere with some directional light, a bit grease on his wifebeater and face, some vignette etc in post. At least stick a wrench in his hand, for gods sake :argh:

But yeah, :effort:

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I think the couple shots of the bloke could at least go somewhere with some directional light, a bit grease on his wifebeater and face, some vignette etc in post. At least stick a wrench in his hand, for gods sake :argh:

But yeah, :effort:

Don't forget the look of "surprise".

Good as a portrait, fun idea. I would maybe retouch the back of her thigh and d/b her skin to match tones overall. Do you have this any wider at all?

My turn:

Oprah Haza fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 18, 2013

PuntCuncher
Apr 21, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

red19fire posted:

Wait, are they putting on a pinup workshop? or is that facebook post unrelated?

They certainly are putting on a workshop.

You're right, will resurrect the horrible photography discussion...

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

alkanphel posted:

Haha yeah good points both of you, I'll break out the reflector for the next few shots if I can find one. Or maybe I will just change the lighting setup for variation.

gently caress that it looks fine without a reflector. I would tone down the highlights a little, but the dramatic lighting is cool. It would look way more generic with a reflector.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT

PuntCuncher posted:

Not everything, but here's a cross section and most shots from their pin-up day.

http://imgur.com/a/lml0v

I'm going to finish cleaning my house then go take some photos of my own. I'm not a brilliant artist by any measure, but I know I couldn't produce work like that and expect people to want to pay me for it.

EDIT: No, just loving... christ.

Can we count on you to go to the workshop and provide us with a trip report? This is important.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

gently caress that it looks fine without a reflector. I would tone down the highlights a little, but the dramatic lighting is cool. It would look way more generic with a reflector.
Yeah, I like the way the lighting emphasizes the detail. I will say I liked the first one more, the shadows of the second one are almost too dark.

Purchased a cheap, photo umbrella stand to actually use my sb-600. No more excuses!

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Marissa by xxyzx road, on Flickr

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

torgeaux posted:

Read up on Rembrandt lighting. It's a classic, it's use able in lots of situations, and you'll see it everywhere.

Would these be considered Rembrandt?

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Crosspost from the awesome format thread.

The Cadet by McMadCow, on Flickr

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Sludge Tank posted:

Yes; Rembrandt lighting is defined by the triangle of light on the darker cheek caused by the nose. If the nose shadow doesn't touch the cheek shadow, this is called "loup" lighting.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

jessica by francography, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Sludge Tank posted:

Yup. Note, Rembrandt is an easy go to, but for me it is just a jumping off point because it nicely demonstrates how shadow shapes the image.

pal670
Nov 4, 2011

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

This is extremely well done in the technical sense, but can you talk about what you're going for here? To me it just looks like a commercial photo for a product in a print ad. That's fine and all, but if you're going for something a little more personal I think you missed it in all that gloss.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I like it a lot but I think it is a bit too busy with the ball and the visor. I think it'd be quite a bit more stronger with just the visor. With the ball it kind of gives of the vibe that it's an ad for space perfume.

but yeah nice processing [thumbs up emoticon]

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Yeah I forgot what thread I was in a second and thought it was ad for space yoga. Not that's necessarily a bad thing! If that's what you were going for, that commercial look, you did so wonderfully.

Alcoholic
Sep 8, 2011

beergod posted:

What kind of off camera lighting did you use? Did you do any processing work? I kind of like the subject and posing but the shadows are way harsh.

Sorry for the delay, but it was a lowel constant lighting kit (http://www.lowel.com/kits/superAmbi.html). Pretty sure we had the Rifa eX softlight on the left and an omni on the right. I was only TA'ing the class and snapped a couple pictures in between helping other people. I really hate that light kit, mostly because of the way its all treated by other students, and the stands. Oh, and we dont have any gels for them either, pretty awesome.

Edit: Also for post i mostly just cleaned up skin, brightened her eyes a little, fixed the fishnet once or twice, annnnd thats about it? i think, pretty sure.
Edit Edit: Just remembered, we shot this in the green screen room on a roll of white paper, and due to the 20 other students around me and the paper not being big enough, I had to fill in some of the edges to get rid of the green screen and such out. Easy little mask, content-aware fill nothing fancy lol.

Alcoholic fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Mar 22, 2013

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich

Erostratus fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 6, 2014

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
New stuff.

861001_10151302887893531_2017648986_o by David Childers Photography, on Flickr

erica by David Childers Photography, on Flickr

lauren 2 sample by David Childers Photography, on Flickr

861075_10151302887923531_1938029196_o by David Childers Photography, on Flickr

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

really like that one! I'm assuming you used a ladder?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Thanks! Jumped off a stool actually. No fear.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Passerby posed with unknown person's Mustang.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!

I swear I need to start bringing along a chart of expressions.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I had my first 'outside job' tonight. My friend needed some portraits of a local DJ & producer for his graphic design project, and looks like it'll get used in promo work.

I had a nightmare with my lighting, I was really nervous. Suffered some minor blowouts and THE loving DUST !! :( But oh well... they were both really happy with a lot of the results.

Here's a few (sorry about the inconsistent cropping and whatever else)

Timmus 1 by Alex Gard, on Flickr

Timmus 2 by Alex Gard, on Flickr

Timmus 3 by Alex Gard, on Flickr

The idea from these is my friend is going to make some words out of tape coming out of the cassette, (please do not steal these pictures or whatever because I think they will be used commercially)

I didn't like the reflections in the glasses and generally had a hard time getting the light how I wanted it. Looking back I really wish I'd just started with one flash and worked my way up. (he's dressed up as an alter-ego type thingy good tunes too> http://soundcloud.com/timmus1)

This was a new experience for me in shooting someone other than myself and also my first time doing anything in a place where I had total control over all the light (dark studio) but it was a lot harder than I thought it would be... I definitely have a lot to learn in this department, nonetheless it was a good learning curve and fun to do.

These were just my rough quick edits to see how I felt about them, looking forward to what my friend does with them :)

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Mar 25, 2013

sw1gger
Sep 19, 2004
meowcakes

Oprah Haza posted:

I swear I need to start bringing along a chart of expressions.

Exactly what I was about to say. I feel like you could interchange the face on all 3 of these without any loss of quality. That's probably not a good thing. That said, I like the first one the most.

Reichstag posted:

Passerby posed with unknown person's Mustang.

Blurry. Sadly, the explanation makes it worse - like, is he trying to be funny posing in front of a crappy car? At least if it was his, it'd be cool to see he's still proud of the beater.

Recent two:

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Hehe, I was totally unaware of the blur, thanks! I asked him to pose there/like that, he was very confused.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

sw1gger posted:

Exactly what I was about to say. I feel like you could interchange the face on all 3 of these without any loss of quality. That's probably not a good thing. That said, I like the first one the most.

Blurry. Sadly, the explanation makes it worse - like, is he trying to be funny posing in front of a crappy car? At least if it was his, it'd be cool to see he's still proud of the beater.
You may wish to check Reichstag's post history...

quote:

Recent two:

These are fantastic. Can you post a brief explanation of the paint effect?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Just something for fun

Blue Dress, Yellow Grill by alkanphel, on Flickr

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

sw1gger posted:

Recent two:

The processing on the first one makes her legs look like they're super hairy, and the colour doesn't match the rest of her skin.

sw1gger
Sep 19, 2004
meowcakes

CarrotFlowers posted:

The processing on the first one makes her legs look like they're super hairy, and the colour doesn't match the rest of her skin.

So true. Lesson of the day: Anything full body, use a bigger softbox. I actually have a parabolic - but I'm always too lazy to take it apart and re-set it up. I actually used it for the second one, ha

sw1gger
Sep 19, 2004
meowcakes

Chitin posted:

You may wish to check Reichstag's post history...

These are fantastic. Can you post a brief explanation of the paint effect?

Meh.

I experimented a few ways - this was just some custom photoshop brush. I tried making it look "wet" for a considerable amount of time, but was unable to do it against that particular setting. Against white, I was able to do waaay more with the strokes.

I got the idea from another photo, but that one was done against an overexposed sky - now I know why (because it looks way more awesome against white) Alternatively, you can do it against a blank canvas, take a photo, and blend it in. ANOTHER way: Get a large canvas of the photo printed, actually paint what you want on it, then pay for a high-res scan.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

sw1gger posted:

Recent two:

I knew these were yours before I saw your username. I am jealous. I wish I had a style.

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

sw1gger posted:

I got the idea from another photo, but that one was done against an overexposed sky - now I know why (because it looks way more awesome against white) Alternatively, you can do it against a blank canvas, take a photo, and blend it in. ANOTHER way: Get a large canvas of the photo printed, actually paint what you want on it, then pay for a high-res scan.
How does it look if the stroke is between the lens and the brush so it looks like she's behind glass*?

*which is what I'd assumed was going on at first glance.

sw1gger
Sep 19, 2004
meowcakes

LFK posted:

How does it look if the stroke is between the lens and the brush so it looks like she's behind glass*?

*which is what I'd assumed was going on at first glance.

Painting on glass and taking a photo to composite in wouldn't work because paint tends to bubble/drip too much on glass (atleast for what I wanted to go for). Otherwise, I could do it post but honestly I don't think I even considered using glass instead of something more canvas-y (with regard to the texture). Currently, there are like 3-4 textures (all canvasy).

There first one is applied really lightly to the whole image (maybe opacity at like 15%). The next one is a tad stronger, but layer masked in a circular gradiant going from her head (as to not cover her skin/clothing in more canvas textures). The next two textures are really strong (70-100%) but layer masked so that they're ONLY under the sketch. I've never mimicked a glass wall before - certainly an intriguing idea. I wonder if it'd be a similar process only with a glass texture?

Also one thing to consider with that idea:, the the brush would have to look somewhat squished to really pull off that effect. No idea how to do that. (Unless you really shoot it and layer mask stuff out). But who knows - you might be right.

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

sw1gger posted:

Painting on glass and taking a photo to composite in wouldn't work because paint tends to bubble/drip too much on glass (atleast for what I wanted to go for). Otherwise, I could do it post but honestly I don't think I even considered using glass instead of something more canvas-y (with regard to the texture). Currently, there are like 3-4 textures (all canvasy).

There first one is applied really lightly to the whole image (maybe opacity at like 15%). The next one is a tad stronger, but layer masked in a circular gradiant going from her head (as to not cover her skin/clothing in more canvas textures). The next two textures are really strong (70-100%) but layer masked so that they're ONLY under the sketch. I've never mimicked a glass wall before - certainly an intriguing idea. I wonder if it'd be a similar process only with a glass texture?

Also one thing to consider with that idea:, the the brush would have to look somewhat squished to really pull off that effect. No idea how to do that. (Unless you really shoot it and layer mask stuff out). But who knows - you might be right.
I think the texture is fine, it's more the space that this, conceptually, exists in. Her pose has the brush pointed across the axis of the stage, so the tip of the brush is closer to the viewer than her body, but the paint is behind the brush. I don't think the look needs to mimic paint-on-glass, but it was more a reference of space, that the paint would be on an invisible plane that's between the viewer and her. I'm realizing in retrospect that I did a crappy job at communicating that.

While you're right that the tip, pressed to glass, would be deformed, the tip would also be obfuscated by the text, and its current shape could be justified just as well by the apparent completeness of the action - "oh, she's done and just lifted the brush" or whatever.

I dunno, I'm just having a problem with "where" the text is supposed to be.

I do love the texture work, though. For reals.

sw1gger
Sep 19, 2004
meowcakes

LFK posted:

I think the texture is fine, it's more the space that this, conceptually, exists in. Her pose has the brush pointed across the axis of the stage, so the tip of the brush is closer to the viewer than her body, but the paint is behind the brush. I don't think the look needs to mimic paint-on-glass, but it was more a reference of space, that the paint would be on an invisible plane that's between the viewer and her. I'm realizing in retrospect that I did a crappy job at communicating that.

While you're right that the tip, pressed to glass, would be deformed, the tip would also be obfuscated by the text, and its current shape could be justified just as well by the apparent completeness of the action - "oh, she's done and just lifted the brush" or whatever.

I dunno, I'm just having a problem with "where" the text is supposed to be.

I do love the texture work, though. For reals.

Totally get it. When I have a minute tomorrow or so I'll show you what the stroke looked like against white (achieving that "breaking of the fourth wall" idea that I think you're alluding to). Because the brush strokes are semi-transparent, against white they had more of a "sheen" and a glimmer of catchlights that made it pop. Applying it to the photo removed that. I couldn't find a way to bring it back :(

That said, I do think the photo looks better bigger. I regret not doing a square crop.

edit:

sw1gger fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 27, 2013

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I'm doing a couple headshot sessions today for some lawyers I know, so I wanted to do a quick Google Image Search for ideas and inspiration. Good idea, right?

GOD HOW WRONG I WAS

"Yeah, for this one I really wanted to give the impression that I was stalking you from the bushes."

"I'm really happy with this one, it gives the effect that you're some sort of irradiated zombie, ready to pounce at any moment. I feel that's very metaphorical and analogous to your law career."

I really don't know if this makes me more or less confident about my shoot today. I'm used to shooting models, I'm not used to shooting professional headshots!

sw1gger
Sep 19, 2004
meowcakes
This one turned out way off from what I had originally planned, but I like the mood so I think I'm going to keep it:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I did my first "professional" headshot session yesterday, with a couple of local lawyers who are starting a firm together. I'm used to frou-frou shots of models and stuff so I had no idea what I was doing, but just pretended really hard.

Not perfect, but I think the clients will be happy!

Also, I have no idea how to deal with hair flyaways :negative: