Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

You know, on a re-read, Dave really comes off as an rear end in a top hat here. Karkat's being all understanding and really only throws a tantrum after Dave derails the conversation. I mean, sure, it's funnier for us the audience, but in-story, gently caress off Dave, they're having a moment.

I do feel bad for Terezi. She's all hosed up inside.

quote:

[Dreamself stuff]

I rationalized that stuff by all the extra dreamabilities (flying, extra-arms, etc) only working on Prospit / Derse. Once the player leaves / Prospit gets destroyed, the abilities stop working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

Bobulus posted:

You know, on a re-read, Dave really comes off as an rear end in a top hat here. Karkat's being all understanding and really only throws a tantrum after Dave derails the conversation. I mean, sure, it's funnier for us the audience, but in-story, gently caress off Dave, they're having a moment.

Terezi brought it up first :colbert:

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

Seoinin posted:

Ahaha yesss, Karkat rocking the chair all Youth Pastor Style. Kids, we have a guest here to "rap" with you today. He's here to "rap" with you about Jesus.

CG: ALRIGHT YOU PIMPLY TEENAGE FUCKSTICKS.
CG: IF YOU CAN MANAGE TO STOP COMPULSIVELY FONDLING YOUR SHAME GLOBES AND WORSHIPPING MORONIC CLOWN GODS FOR TEN SECONDS I HAVE A STORY TO TELL YOU.
CG: SOME CALL IT...
CG: THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD.

If CCD had gone down like that I might still be a practicing Catholic.

glowing-fish posted:

Which is exactly what Karkat is, of course. He is the character in the work that is as explicitly as possible stated to be a follower and model of Jesus.

More than that - as the genetic descendent/clone of the Signless, he is literally the second coming of Troll Christ.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Not mine, but

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That's pretty much perfect. Especially with Karkat as the free space.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

edit: this version of KKBingo was flawed, please scroll down for the new version.

uranium grass fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 19, 2013

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Grrl Anachronism posted:

I know I'm late to the party, but here's my text version.

Ectobiology is on there twice. Or was that intentional?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Grrl Anachronism posted:

I know I'm late to the party, but here's my text version.

You're missing Chair! Chair is the rock-steady fundament of Karkat Tantrum Bingo.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Karkat Bingo corrected.

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008
Forget Karkat bingo, someone put a backwards baseball cap on him.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

You know, this is probably the first time that Dave, Karkat and Terezi have actually had a three-way conversation.

In three years of convoluted love triangle shenanigans.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

krakagar posted:

Interesting that we're getting some 'Gamzee is actually a horrible, nasty, vindictive person' stuff now as opposed to 'Gamzee is just this loveable insane clown' stuff that Areana's story was pushing.

I'm guessing that he's both. He's had this dual personality thing going for a good while now. There's a harmless lovable juggalo stoner moirail clowndad Gamzee and a crazed murderous hateful Rage-filled LE-servant Gamzee.

The fact that one side is docile and the other is destructive (like cherubs) makes me wonder if Doc Scratch or even Lord English himself had a direct role in Gamzee's creation, or at least his upbringing. Gamzee also seems to be blessed with unconditional immortality. So basically LE created his own goofy two-faced immortal clown servant to help execute his will in the trolls' (and now the alpha kids') session and watch over his younger self.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

His immortality isn't unconditional: he has to continue being an awful clown.

Actually, I bet Gamzee's death is going to be predicated by somebody getting rid of his facepaint.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

It's the unexplained Sonic the Hedgehog that really makes this bingo board soar.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Cabbit posted:

Actually, I bet Gamzee's death is going to be predicated by somebody getting rid of his facepaint.
Gamzee is never going to die. He is simply too awful to perish.

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
I loved Dave's usage of frontways when referring to the chair.

Not liking those comments about Gamzee though. I've always held out hope that he would try to redeem himself after killing the beat character in Homestuck, and I still do but... Karkat and Terezi's words make me less hopeful for that.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Gamzee is pretty much textbook irredeemable. He and Caliborn are some of the few characters in Homestuck who have no perception of right and wrong - if he were to start showing things like guilt, shame, and a desire to make amends or do the right thing it'd butt heads with his characterization as an insane, amoral clown. If anything it's good to hear a little of the nitty gritty reality where he doesn't care about Terezi and will abandon her (and their weird hate-relationship), since he's probably going to bail from the meteor the instant he can without looking back.

This scene is neat to see just how much Karkat has mellowed and changed over the years. He's really listening and engaging with Terezi's problems, and little asides like the chair argument or his brief tangent into blaming himself are like vestiges of his old self.

And that auspicization comment has me all the more curious to see Rose and Kanaya again. Whatever's going on with them, it's got to be something the way Dave and Karkat have tiptoed around it so far.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Yeah, Gamzee will never redeem himself. He's too busy being an awful piece of poo poo.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Dolash posted:

And that auspicization comment has me all the more curious to see Rose and Kanaya again. Whatever's going on with them, it's got to be something the way Dave and Karkat have tiptoed around it so far.
I'm betting it's just the kind of typical thing teens do when they first have someone they really enjoy, ie getting kind of reclusive and weird and seeking too much external validation via their S.O.
RosexKanaya is still probably straightforwards romantic, Hussie is just expanding auspicization to have more general use.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

snucks posted:

I'm betting it's just the kind of typical thing teens do when they first have someone they really enjoy, ie getting kind of reclusive and weird and seeking too much external validation via their S.O.
RosexKanaya is still probably straightforwards romantic, Hussie is just expanding auspicization to have more general use.

I think it's less a matter of Hussie changing the rules and more a matter of Karkat exaggerating/reaching for ways to blame himself for Terezi's situation. That didn't stop being a thing Karkat does or anything.

Assuming, again, that we're not taking him at his word about literally auspicticizing between Rose and Kanaya after a black turn in their relationship. Which is still in the realm of possibilities.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Rose DID ask Kanaya to teach her about ALL the quadrants.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

mr. stefan posted:

It's the unexplained Sonic the Hedgehog that really makes this bingo board soar.

One day Dave alchemized a Sega Genesis. Karkat proceeded to flip his poo poo at the blue bipedal needle beast.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I assumed Rose's possible alcoholism would be the bigger issue, since emotional dependence and substance dependence go together despairingly well. I guess we shall cross that bridge of misery when we come to it.

Speaking of, where are we going next? There might be a little more left in this particular scene, but are we staying on the meteor? Is it finally time to see their arrival in the new session?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

It's been a while since we checked up on our good friends Spades Slick and Ms. Paint. I'm betting we'll see them before the intermission ends.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I don't know about Gamzee. I mean lets think of what happened before Act 5 ended. We had that moment where Karkat pacified him and that moment was made out to be A Big Deal. It was supposed to be a moment of triumph, where no one had to die to resolve a conflict. It was probably a bigger moment for Karkat than Gamzee and in a way closed Act 5's troll arc. Now jump to Act 6. Everyone is saying what a huge rear end in a top hat Gamzee is. He's helping the villain and may very well be possessed by him to some degree.

I don't think Gamzee is going to be redeemed. But I wouldn't be shocked at all if there was a twist where he tried to make things right by double crossing the villain. Whether it will work or not is up in the air (I say it won't) but there's no reason from a story telling perspective to have a character who is explicitly stopped from murdering people turn into a villain again. It would honestly be bad writing for Hussie to make a huge deal of the moment Karkat stopped Gamzee' rampage and then turn around and say "ok and now in Act 6 he's an rear end in a top hat again, KARKAT SUCKS HAHAHA".

Color Printer posted:

It's been a while since we checked up on our good friends Spades Slick and Ms. Paint. I'm betting we'll see them before the intermission ends.
This actually reminds me of a thought I had. So we know Vriska is taking the ship in a circle and the treasure is going to be in the area right where she started. That area was the dream bubble that had Tavros' land in it, with all the horses and stuff. In that same dreambubble is Hussie's mansion, where he was taking care of Slick before being gunned down.

What if the "ultimate weapon" to defeat Lord English is the guy who was the very first in the comic to have an obvious vendetta against Lord English.

lotus circle fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 19, 2013

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Well, the shoosh-pap was still important in that moment because from what we know of Gamzee's combat ability, he'd have killed the trolls just as dead as Bec Noir would have if he wasn't pacified. Also, it led to a clear change in his MO (subtle manipulation of events rather than MURDER MODE), so it was still significant character building even if it meant Gamzee was still an rear end in a top hat.

Basically, Karkat's actions at the end of act 5 aren't fundamentally undermined as a narrative event by having been less than 100% successful.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

lotus circle posted:

I don't know about Gamzee. I mean lets think of what happened before Act 5 ended. We had that moment where Karkat pacified him and that moment was made out to be A Big Deal. It was supposed to be a moment of triumph, where no one had to die to resolve a conflict. It was probably a bigger moment for Karkat than Gamzee and in a way closed Act 5's troll arc. Now jump to Act 6. Everyone is saying what a huge rear end in a top hat Gamzee is. He's helping the villain and may very well be possessed by him to some degree.

I don't think Gamzee is going to be redeemed. But I wouldn't be shocked at all if there was a twist where he tried to make things right by double crossing the villain. Whether it will work or not is up in the air (I say it won't) but there's no reason from a story telling perspective to have a character who is explicitly stopped from murdering people turn into a villain again. It would honestly be bad writing for Hussie to make a huge deal of the moment Karkat stopped Gamzee' rampage and then turn around and say "ok and now in Act 6 he's an rear end in a top hat again, KARKAT SUCKS HAHAHA".

Ennhh, I don't know. Like you said, the big moment was Karkat's- that he tried non-violent pacification and it worked (even if only temporarily) is a big step for him and really probably springboarded his current development I'd say. That it didn't stick doesn't retroactively make that scene or Karkat pointless, just like... I dunno pretty much all the exile scenes don't become pointless because they eventually died, right? Besides, Hussie pretty much immediately undermined the shoosh-pap scene with his overwrought description of how Gamzee was calmed down forever and always THE END, like after that was anyone really surprised Gamzee kept on keeping on?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Bobulus posted:

I do feel bad for Terezi. She's all hosed up inside.

And she's getting counseling from two of her exes.

There's basically no way that conversation was going to be productive.

(In the event, it was hilarious, which is much better.)

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Thundarr posted:

Basically, Karkat's actions at the end of act 5 aren't fundamentally undermined as a narrative event by having been less than 100% successful.

Adding to that, the shoosh pap is important because it showed that despite all his violent rhetoric Karkat is ultimately against using violence on people he cares about. Even when it was clear Gamzee could kill him and had killed others Karkat forgave and attempted to save Gamzee. Whatever it's final results were it was a very important look into KK's character.

Given Jade and Janes' current condition I think it's important to know we have at least one character who would be able to forgive any wrongs they might do and try and save them even in the face of blind aggression.

And so the Knight did Pap the Witch and Shoosh the Maid and it was good if slightly awkward.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Karkat sitting backwards on his chair youth pastor style seriously got me through an otherwise soul-crushing day at work today. Now I remember why I read this comic.

Mazerunner posted:

Besides, Hussie pretty much immediately undermined the shoosh-pap scene with his overwrought description of how Gamzee was calmed down forever and always THE END, like after that was anyone really surprised Gamzee kept on keeping on?

I was pretty surprised, because flowery language or not, we didn't really have any reason to doubt the narrator at that point. Especially after he had just worked so hard to regain control of the story. That said, I'm glad it happened this way, because I remember suggestions that because Karkat's character arc was over, he was basically out of the rest of the story.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Hey, to be fair, Gamzee hasn't murdered anyone since. All he's done is serve the guy who likes to do all the murdering.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Pretty sure Gamzee's going to be the one to sacrifice himself to Yaldabrororobibath to get the good ending and stop Caliborn.

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

TIME magazine's Person of the Year 1996
He then proceeds to come back as if nothing happened because clowns.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

WAR FOOT posted:

Pretty sure Gamzee's going to be the one to sacrifice himself to Yaldabrororobibath to get the good ending and stop Caliborn.

I'm pretty sure that sacrificing a clown, in any situation, will only serve to make things WORSE. That's, like... a reverse sacrifice. Like an insult.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Gamzee is not evil. I think that he was playing the long game and was only taking the roll of Caliborn's mentor to ultimately bring about his downfall. I've been personally pretty sure of this ever since Hussie said even he wasn't sure about Gamzee's motives.

However than I saw this page: http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=007886

From that point onwards I was completely 100% sure that Gamzee is a good guy.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

team overhead smash posted:

Gamzee is not evil. I think that he was playing the long game and was only taking the roll of Caliborn's mentor to ultimately bring about his downfall. I've been personally pretty sure of this ever since Hussie said even he wasn't sure about Gamzee's motives.

Gamzee being a good guy and doing all this horrible stuff and enabling Caliborn in becoming Lord English just so he can set him up to defeat him later would be an exceptionally lovely twist.

Probably what bugs me the most is it really pokes at one of the most irritating issues in Homestuck's plot - at what point does predestination run out? Say you're right, Gamzee couldn't just stomp the newborn cherub because Caliborn needs to complete all these time loops and create Lord English. Why do the time loops for Caliborn ever run out? Why doesn't he just keep getting favorable causal outcomes forever, ones that require Gamzee to keep helping him?

The story's use of causality can really rob people of agency, especially if they're aware of what they "have" to do, and if Gamzee were to turn around and help defeat Caliborn after doing everything to help him because now destiny leaves him an opening, it's like nothing he ever did was motivated by his own character. It effectively means he's completely self-aware and is only doing what a pre-written plot requires of him.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
Is Gamzeechat the new Vriskachat?

Also, my money is on Gamzee working for LE because for things to work out for the best, all the worst stuff has to happen. The kids won't be able to do whatever it is they need to do to break out of the loop of causality without LE rising to power like he has. Also because Gamzee is an inscrutable, capricious rear end in a top hat.

Also, I need to get myself an AV.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
I'm taking the view that Gamzee's outlook on life is akin to that of The Comedian from "Watchmen", or even the Joker in a "Dark Knight" world. That it's all pointless, life is just a joke, and he's playing it all out for his own laughs.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

RedMagus posted:

I'm taking the view that Gamzee's outlook on life is akin to that of The Comedian from "Watchmen", or even the Joker in a "Dark Knight" world. That it's all pointless, life is just a joke, and he's playing it all out for his own laughs.

But why kill the funniest troll, then? :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

team overhead smash posted:

You and me, friend.

:unsmith:

You and me.