Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Who said that you shouldn't play "Hell Revealed" with BD? This poo poo is the bees' knees.

Some people expect to be able to play any map pack using Brutal Doom's balance, on Ultra-violence, and be able to get through any level without ever saving/loading.

These people are very silly, but they also tend to be very loud.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Mar 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

The Kins posted:

Clive Barker's Undying has been given the GOG treatment.

Is this game actually good or is it just interesting? I always heard how great it was but never got around to playing it.

TerminusEst13 posted:

NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_4_8
Unreal
Watch Entire Castle Flyby with game on Maximum settings

It's like they're speaking directly to me. :allears:

e: also thanks to Unreal i can't not hear that one stock wind sound effect used loving everywhere. that and the pig sound from warcraft, it drives me insane

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

The Kins posted:

Clive Barker's Undying has been given the GOG treatment.

Yodzilla posted:

Is this game actually good or is it just interesting? I always heard how great it was but never got around to playing it.

I love this game. Let me tell you guys about this game.

In Undying you play as the sexiest man in the universe, Patrick Galloway, who survived some war with a bunch of weirdo savages thanks to a man with the coolest name ever, Jeremiah Covenant. Patrick got a kickass bluish green stone for his efforts. What does this stone do? Shut up it's magic.

Anyway, after the war Patrick becomes a paranormal adventurer/investigator and does things for people for money related to those two things I just labeled him as. Eventually, his old pal Jeremiah Dopeassname calls him back and is like, "My dead as gently caress family is haunting me and I don't know why."

It probably had to do with the fact that he and his siblingtons read from an ancient arcane book at a gathering of stones that clearly look like a hand rising from the depths of hell. Idiots.

So Patrick shows up, and the game begins.

Let me tell you about the gameplay.

It's a first person shooter. BUT it's also an adventure game. BUT it's also a horror game. It's like Unreal, Resident Evil 1, and Resident Evil 1 had some kind of freaky clone threesome. It also has this cool weapon system where Patrick uses a gun or other weapon in one hand (his LEFT hand. Southpaws represent) and magic spells in the other. That's right, Undying was doing gun + plasmid poo poo before Bioshock, and the first Bioshock had the audacity to make you switch between them.

The spells are awesome. There's Scrye, which you'll know when to use because a voice in your head will go, "SEEEEEEE" or "SCRRYYEEEEEE" or "LOOOOOOOK" or "OOOOOOHhhhoOOOOoooOOHH." Scrye let's you see stuff your normal lovely human eyes won't, like ghosts, or past events, or Sam Neil (although where you're going, you won't need scrye to see.)

There's other spells too, like Ectoplasm (balls of energy) and my favourite, Invoke. Invoke does two things.

1: it raises fallen enemies to fight for you. Cool, right? WRONG, DUMBASS.

2: it puts the undead to rest. Cool, right? YES, DUMBASS.

Let's say you use your badass Tibetan War Cannon (oh yeah, did I mention that's one of the weapons?) to kill some creepy skellingtons. Those fuckers are going to get right back up. But not if you use Invoke on them. Then they sizzle to dust (not really) and actually die. Again.

There's another spell. It's the best spell. It's Skull Storm. Listen to that name. Skull Storm. Are there any metal bands with names that cool? It was a trick question, there's only one answer. (no)

Skull Storm summons several cacklingly mad, violence prone, explosive skulls at your disposal. Fling them at enemies to make them blow the hell up. Why would you not do this.

The regular weapons are ace too. A sexy revolver. A sawed off double barrel shotgun. Oooooh. An ancient scythe that kills bosses in one swipe, should you aim it the right way. You are going to aim it the right way, right? You're not that guy?

This is an FPS from the 90's as well, so none of this regenerating health garbage. You pick up first aid like a real man, and carry it in your inventory, and then use your big boy brain to determine when is the best time to use them, instead of sitting behind the 7000th concrete barrier and sucking on the barrel of babby's first assault rifle while your mom carefully wades through the battle field to burp you so all the smuckers sugar free rasberry jam falls out of your eyes.

11/10 buy Clive Barker's Undying.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I love this game. Let me tell you guys about this game.

A+++ Would read again

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I laughed, I cried, it was better than CATS. (Added to OP!)

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
The only thing I hold against Undying is that it made me give other things with Clive Barker's name attached a try. Don't do that, just buy Undying.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Geight posted:

The only thing I hold against Undying is that it made me give other things with Clive Barker's name attached a try. Don't do that, just buy Undying.

Yeah seriously. Clive Barker's Jericho? It is the exact opposite of all those things I said about Clive Barker's Undying, which means its not very good at all.

Clive Barker.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

quote:

In Undying you play as the sexiest man in the universe, Patrick Galloway, who survived some war with a bunch of weirdo savages thanks to a man with the coolest name ever, Jeremiah Covenant. Patrick got a kickass bluish green stone for his efforts. What does this stone do? Shut up it's magic.
True story, originally the main character was going to be a big muscley bald guy called Magnus Wolfram (or something similar) but Clive Barker took one look and said "make the main character a man I'd want to jump into bed with" and Patrick Galloway was born :allears:

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Jblade posted:

True story, originally the main character was going to be a big muscley bald guy called Magnus Wolfram (or something similar) but Clive Barker took one look and said "make the main character a man I'd want to jump into bed with" and Patrick Galloway was born :allears:

Woah, Clive Barker makes out with dudes?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Insert "Midnight Meat Train" joke here.

Also I'll probably sneak a test build of Reelism onto here sometime tomorrow. No cool new things, but lots of little tweaks and bug fixes. Aliens don't utterly tank the framerate anymore!

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

The Kins posted:

Insert "Midnight Meat Train" joke here.

Also I'll probably sneak a test build of Reelism onto here sometime tomorrow. No cool new things, but lots of little tweaks and bug fixes. Aliens don't utterly tank the framerate anymore!

Well, guess I have something to do before Duke 3D Megaton Edition comes out. I'm actually kind of psyched to play the Expansion packs, which I never have until now. I hope they ship with the same exact .GRP files as eDuke32 expects because there's high-res packs for those as well.

Also we'll need to start throwing together some multiplayer matches.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

horse mans posted:

Woah, Clive Barker makes out with dudes?

yep.

While Undying is dated graphically, it has some really awesome atmosphere. The victorian house is just amazing. You'll freak out with hallways that have open windows with drapes moving in the wind that obscure your vision. Things like that plus the sound is really well done. You'll get startled by even some of your weapons.

The setting is done amazingly well and there are little magical details here and there which are pretty neat. I would say some of them by I'd ruin them. The game is a really neat experience.

The basic guns are awesome. The revolver bullets ricochet off walls and you can use silver bullets. The shotgun is a classic double barreled breech open shotgun wand you can use normal shell or incendiary shells to burn poo poo to hell.

I lost my 8 dollar copy I got at Costco :(. It's totally worth 6 bucks or whatever it goes for when it's on sale.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

horse mans posted:

Also we'll need to start throwing together some multiplayer matches.
The Zandronum community has a sort of regular Friday Night Fragfest and Saturday Night Survival which seems to regularly pull in crowds. If we can decide on a rotation of online games and mods of games and mods of mods, having a regular incursion into online shenanigans with other goons would be quite peachy.
I know Zandronum and Aleph One have marvelous online capabilities, and I know eDuke32 has some online as well, though a bit more...uh...nt as marvelous.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
How can you say all that about Undying without mentioning the best part: Launching hapless goats into the air with the repel spell and watching their legs run at 150mph in mid air.

TheMammoth
Dec 3, 2002

Adding my further support for Undying. At higher resolutions, I think the graphics actually hold up pretty well, though the characters fare better than the environments. Some of the writing is admittedly tongue-in-cheek, but the game does have a few of the legitimately creepier moments from that era (like the church inside the mansion with the ghosts of the evil priests).

Unless I'm remembering this incorrectly, isn't Undying also the game where Patrick Galloway, after decapitating Lilith or one of the female bosses, walks her still screaming head to the edge of a cliff and then proceeds to drop-punt it into the sea?

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Who said that you shouldn't play "Hell Revealed" with BD? This poo poo is the bees' knees.
I did. Don't do it.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
So my copy of PSX Doom arrived today... it's not that bad aside from the inability to save your game (it uses a password system instead).

PROS
  • Doom 2 monsters in Doom 1 maps (Hangar has a chaingunner and Pain Elemental), which adds variety
  • Coloured lighting
  • An "x-ray mode" cheat that allows you to see through walls
  • Exclusive maps that aren't in any other version of the game
  • New monsters (the Nightmare Spectre)
  • New sound effects and spooky music

CONS
  • No analog controller support - the game most likely predates the Dual Shock controller's introduction
  • Some of the maps are stripped down and have less textures/geometry than their PC counterparts
  • No save/load option - you have to use a password system that takes you back to the start of the map
  • Because it doesn't use the memory card, it doesn't save any settings - including custom controller settings
  • No Arch-viles (although for some, this might be a pro)
  • No Icon of Sin (although it features in the ending sequence)
  • Not all the original maps are present (presumably to increase performance)
  • The maps feel larger (in terms of room size) and emptier than their PC counterparts. I assume this has to do with increasing performance.
  • Strange control options - you can redefine the 'strafe on' button, but not the 'automap toggle' button.

Now I've got Quake 2 for PSX on order. :D

Zero Star fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 20, 2013

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Saving space...on a CD? Why would that be a problem for loving Doom of all things? Also it seems surprising that they would have to take away level geometry.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Yodzilla posted:

Saving space...on a CD? Why would that be a problem for loving Doom of all things? Also it seems surprising that they would have to take away level geometry.
A perfect example would be the starting room in Hangar. If you turn left in the PC version and enter the room with the staircase and the shotgun guys, you see two pillars, right. In the PSX version, those pillars are gone, but the room feels about twice the size. It's weird.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Zero Star posted:

[*]No Icon of Sin

So what's the end?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Zero Star posted:

• Not all the original maps are present (presumably to save space)
  • The maps feel larger (in terms of room size) and emptier than their PC counterparts. I assume this has to do with saving space.

Yodzilla posted:

It was likely to increase performance, not save disc space. The game kills PSX hardware at some points. The framerate drops to frustrating levels in the gimmick Revenant Night Club secret stage, for example.

Also the game uses a redbook audio soundtrack which probably takes up a good 2/3 of the disc at least.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 19, 2013

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

It was likely to increase performance, not save disk space. The game kills PSX hardware at some points. The framerate drops to frustrating levels in the gimmick Revenant Night Club secret stage, for example.
That's actually what I meant, but I phrased it badly. I'll go back and edit.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Toilet Rascal
The PSX had a minuscule amount of RAM, much less than Doom's original PC requirements, so that's probably the limiting factor here. Hangar must have been just a smidge over the limit, so it received minor tweaks and simplifications and made the cut. The other missing maps must have been so much further beyond the PSX's capability that they would have had to have been completely redesigned.

Icon of Sin would then have been cut because it uses every type of monster in the game and the PSX couldn't have loaded them all at once.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Kakumei posted:

So what's the end?
This. A load of Barons and then some Spiderdemons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y25DnoP9YZM

Some dumb idiot
Jun 6, 2012

Step by step
Hop the mountain
Step by step
Hop the ocean
Step by step
Hop the rainbow
I'll be running
The reduced level geometry is also the same reduced level geometry used in the Jaguar Doom port, I believe.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Zero Star posted:

This. A load of Barons and then some Spiderdemons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y25DnoP9YZM

"...a lifetime of :smug: ~frivolity~ :smug:"

Man, that voiceover was really out of place, what with PSX Doom using ambient soundtracks instead of synth-metal and feeling somewhat more "serious" because of it.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Also, this can happen in the PSX version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCaY9c-jDxQ

And the Archvile was cut from PSX because it used twice as many frames as any other monster. The developers "just couldn't do him justice".

TheMammoth
Dec 3, 2002

Some dumb idiot posted:

The reduced level geometry is also the same reduced level geometry used in the Jaguar Doom port, I believe.

You know a system was doomed (pun acknowledged) when one of its best games was a reduced port of an old PC title.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Best Undying review ever.

Seriously, I love you now as much as I love Undying. It's indeed a great game and a great experience.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

TheMammoth posted:

You know a system was doomed (pun acknowledged) when one of its best games was a reduced port of an old PC title.
Agreed. I love the PS1 but man, it retrospectively sucks from a technical standpoint.

The 'texture swimming' issue that the PS1 had has been discussed before, but it reared its ugly head in Doom - if you look at a switch from the side, it can seem as though there are two switches instead of one. And then you turn to face it properly, and the phantom switch vanishes.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by
You got your Half-Life 2 in my Doom!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2yPfWXPIs0

I was expecting this to seem gimmicky and unplayable, but it actually looks like a lot of fun. This might be enough to convince me to finally buy HL2 on Steam.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Dominic White posted:

Some people expect to be able to play any map pack using Brutal Doom's balance, on Ultra-violence, and be able to get through any level without ever saving/loading.

These people are very silly, but they also tend to be very loud.

It's been years since I originally played Hell Revealed, but that's basically how I'm playing it right now--BD, UV, trying to blast through maps without saving/loading. It's intense but, yeah, it's pretty dumb if you hold it against the authors when you end up failing miserably.

Korendian Leader posted:

I did. Don't do it.

Too late. :getin:

TheMammoth posted:

I remember the commercials for the Jaguar involving an elevator, and boasting about the system's 64-bit prowess that was totally radical and totally 64-bit. Nobody I knew ever ended up owning one, and it was discussed like some sort of gonzo toy that didn't have any decent games.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 19, 2013

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

I was expecting this to seem gimmicky and unplayable, but it actually looks like a lot of fun. This might be enough to convince me to finally buy HL2 on Steam.

After watching this clip, I can not wait to get back to school so I can download and play this.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

TheMammoth posted:

Unless I'm remembering this incorrectly, isn't Undying also the game where Patrick Galloway, after decapitating Lilith or one of the female bosses, walks her still screaming head to the edge of a cliff and then proceeds to drop-punt it into the sea?

Yup. It's awesome.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Zero Star posted:

So my copy of PSX Doom arrived today... it's not that bad aside from the inability to save your game (it uses a password system instead).

PSX Doom used a hardware renderer, so they could do fancy stuff like translucent walls and colored lighting. On the other hand, the video memory was exceptionally small, which forced to reduce the texture and monster palette. Also, the renderer they made was incapable of tiling textures vertically more than once, instead it stretches them to their full extent. That's why, quite often, very tall rooms in Doom (or, especially, Doom II, which used verticalness a lot more) were flattened. "The Crusher" is a good illustration. There's a detailed explanation over there.

For the Doom levels, the architecture has been simplified more than was necessary, though. They've been ported from the Jaguar Doom version, which was even more limited (e.g., no transparent textures, so the brown fences just before the exit room in E1M1 were replaced by some solid geometry instead). The levels don't start to become visually interesting until you get into those that weren't in Jaguar Doom.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I remember getting to the last level of Doom 2 and basically not being able to beat it until we got a RAM upgrade. We shrank the window size all the way down with the - key but it still chugged.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
Jag Doom is still a really good port when compared to the other Doom ports from the same era; better than 3DO, 32x, and SNES by far, though it does lack all music.

Also, it has multiplayer, system linked multiplayer. I've got 2 Jags, 2 Doom carts, 2 Jag network adapters and have attempted to play coop in the last few years.

It didn't go well, frequent de-synchs and dropouts, but it sure was awesome to try. The Jag Doom manual literally blames demonic corruption for the poor network stability. My understanding was that the network adapters weren't even finished when Jag Doom was being made, so they probably couldn't test it properly. It's the only released game to use the adaptor though!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Copper Vein posted:

Jag Doom is still a really good port when compared to the other Doom ports from the same era; better than 3DO, 32x, and SNES by far, though it does lack all music.

Dedicated weapon buttons. I never realized how much I would miss them until I recently started playing it on my 360...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mak0rz posted:

Who else here gets a flood of nostalgia whenever they have to open the old DOS setup programs? :allears:

"Your sound card works perfectly."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_A1GNx0M9M

Pow, right in the childhood.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

:aaaaa: oh man that looks fun as hell

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

The Kins posted:

The Catacombs series is now on GOG. They're kind of weird!

Oh man I am irrationally excited about this. Catacomb Abyss was probably the first FPS game I played when I was a wee lad, very fond memories of role-playing a badass wizard and killing demons and poo poo. I actually played through it a few months ago for the first time in many years and still had a blast, despite how clunky and outdated it is. I really do like the cartoon art style too. Can't wait to have some time to go through these again.

If you never played any of the Catacomb games but are like me and will play through old games you missed for fun/nostalgia/curiosity/whatever, definitely pick them up.