Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!

Ulta posted:

How do you guys organize your show prep? We have a stable of 7 people, of which usually 3 to 5 can show on a given week. During the week, we have a "secret" Facebook group that people post interesting things in. Day of record, I usually gather those links, plus anything else I want to bring up and compose a blogger post, then send out the link to everyone. Is there a better way?

Ours is a movie podcast, most of our pre-show work is an on going email discussion where all five of us are hashing out or thoughts on the movie of the week after we all make it to the theater. Seems to help keep us concise and on the mark once we sit down to record since we've already gathered our arguments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyslexiactic
Mar 1, 2011

I'm angry and I want to express it somehow.
:sun:

Karthe posted:

I've picked up a couple of cohosts, and one Snowball is no longer adequate enough to capture everyone's voice at a high quality. Unfortunately it looks like recording from two mics plugged straight into a Windows PC isn't enough, at least with Audacity. What's the easiest way to record from two mics? Will I need to purchase some additional hardware, or is there a software solution?

Sorry for delay on this. Our podcast recently just switched over to a snowball plus an omnidirectional snowball for three guys sitting around a table. The major difference is that I'm running the mics on an osx laptop and can use the built-in audio aggregator to collapse both mics into one channel. VAC couldn't help with your problems, could it?

I feel like jumping to mixers and real mics is probably an expensive jump.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Dyslexiactic posted:

Sorry for delay on this. Our podcast recently just switched over to a snowball plus an omnidirectional snowball for three guys sitting around a table. The major difference is that I'm running the mics on an osx laptop and can use the built-in audio aggregator to collapse both mics into one channel. VAC couldn't help with your problems, could it?

I feel like jumping to mixers and real mics is probably an expensive jump.
Thanks for reminding me about VAC, I just watched a tutorial on using it to record from two USB mics and it looks incredibly simple to set up. Now I finally have a legitimate reason to buy a copy! :3:

Dyslexiactic
Mar 1, 2011

Excellent. If VAC is anything like the audio aggregator, you should have the option to record multiple channels on Audacity. In my (short) experience, however, I suggest against it. Having to keep two tracks together while editing is a nightmare.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Dyslexiactic posted:

Excellent. If VAC is anything like the audio aggregator, you should have the option to record multiple channels on Audacity. In my (short) experience, however, I suggest against it. Having to keep two tracks together while editing is a nightmare.
Yeah, I can only imagine how much of a pain in the rear end that would be. I end up downmixing and editing shows in mono anyway under the (probably misguided) assumption that it'll help limit a lot of the left side/right side awkwardness associated with which side of the microphone we're facing when we speak.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

If people have their own laptops & mics they could always bring them in and record individual tracks to merge later.

Tig Ol Bitties
Jan 22, 2010

pew pew pew
Has anyone else found the oversaturation of the podcasting market discouraging?

I'm a new media undergrad student who has lots of different interests, and I'd like to start podcasting. I'm not looking for internet fame or an NPR show, but I want to experiment with audio production, storytelling, etc. I've found myself crossing every show idea off my list because fourteen other people have done it already, and it's preventing me from starting at all.

Did you all just say "screw it" and not worry about being overly original? What were the barriers that were preventing you from turning on the mic for the first time?

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Tig Ol Bitties posted:

I'm a new media undergrad student who has lots of different interests, and I'd like to start podcasting. I'm not looking for internet fame or an NPR show, but I want to experiment with audio production, storytelling, etc. I've found myself crossing every show idea off my list because fourteen other people have done it already, and it's preventing me from starting at all.

Did you all just say "screw it" and not worry about being overly original? What were the barriers that were preventing you from turning on the mic for the first time?

It will be very hard for a show premise to be original. But the show personalities can be because we're all special unique snowflakes. :) You Made It Weird with Pete Holmes began as a near clone of WTF with Marc Maron but both podcasts are wildly successful because of Pete Holmes and Marc Maron, not because people want to listen to 3 hour interviews of comedians they've never heard of and may never hear from again.

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty
I take part in a weekly podcast covering video game news and editorial commentary at http://gamingtrend.com/podcast/

I really need to pick up a better microphone and headset, though - glad to see some recommendations on those in this thread. Ours is done over Skype, since we're states apart from each other.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Tig Ol Bitties posted:

I've been podcasting for over 3 years and more than a hundred episodes. I'm never going to be famous or nerd famous for it, but I have a few fans and my friends and I have a lot of fun doing it.

I'd recommend choosing a topic that you enjoy and feel passionate about and run with it.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.

8one6 posted:

I've been podcasting for over 3 years and more than a hundred episodes. I'm never going to be famous or nerd famous for it, but I have a few fans and my friends and I have a lot of fun doing it.

I'd recommend choosing a topic that you enjoy and feel passionate about and run with it.

Also pick your co-hosts wisely! Its easier to podcast if you are looking forward to talking to them all week.

Lareous
Feb 19, 2008

My roommate and I just started one called Screw This Level (http://www.facebook.com/thislevel, https://www.screwthislevel.com), it's video game news & commentary. Mostly it was just an excuse for use to talk about games while intoxicated, and to learn broadcast software/hardware. It's honestly not very good yet, but I have grandiose plans and it's getting better (at least production wise).

Eventually though we plan to branch out and stream tournaments from the local game stores, keep a game going at least once a weekend on Twitch, and some other stuff. Any useful criticism/advice is definitely welcome; I'm not one to keep doing something if it sucks too badly.

Lareous fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 15, 2013

WedgeRadio
Jan 20, 2009

Ulta posted:

How do you guys organize your show prep? We have a stable of 7 people, of which usually 3 to 5 can show on a given week. During the week, we have a "secret" Facebook group that people post interesting things in. Day of record, I usually gather those links, plus anything else I want to bring up and compose a blogger post, then send out the link to everyone. Is there a better way?

For what I do it's quite simple. I look through news articles and things that I want to talk about. Then I order the articles in a way that makes sense. Given the flow of the conversation and try to have one article segue into another article until it seems that they're all linked in some way. I find that the most satisfying, granted there is a lot of thinking while you talk. I've been doing my show for almost 7 years now and today just had my 700th episode. I think I've been doing it long enough to state the least. About 17 hours a week!

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Has anyone else used VAC to record from two USB mics? I'm editing the first show we've recorded in that fashion and noticed that there's echo when either I or my cohost talk. It might just be that the mics were too close together so our voices were picked up on both, but I don't have enough experience with VAC to rule out interference from an improper setup.

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

When crime haunts the night, a silent crusader carries the torch of justice.
I don't know if anyone's asked this in the thread before now, but can anyone record narration for a short story and put it up on their tumblr? I don't get any money from the site and I wanted to do some recording for the heck of it, but I wasn't sure of the legality of fair use and copyright.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Gray Ghost posted:

I don't know if anyone's asked this in the thread before now, but can anyone record narration for a short story and put it up on their tumblr? I don't get any money from the site and I wanted to do some recording for the heck of it, but I wasn't sure of the legality of fair use and copyright.

Depends on the story. Can you provide a link? If the story is released under creative commons, or was published before 1923 and therefore is in the public domain, then yes. Otherwise it gets complicated.

Dyslexiactic
Mar 1, 2011

Karthe posted:

Has anyone else used VAC to record from two USB mics? I'm editing the first show we've recorded in that fashion and noticed that there's echo when either I or my cohost talk. It might just be that the mics were too close together so our voices were picked up on both, but I don't have enough experience with VAC to rule out interference from an improper setup.

There shouldn't be an echo from recording from multiple mics because echo requires a delay. By any chance, are you using an omnidirectional mic? We've got a plain Snowball and an Omnidirectional Snowball in our usb set up and we had mad echo on the omnidirectional mic until we played with its settings. Sorry my only advice is borderline voodoo magic.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Dyslexiactic posted:

There shouldn't be an echo from recording from multiple mics because echo requires a delay. By any chance, are you using an omnidirectional mic? We've got a plain Snowball and an Omnidirectional Snowball in our usb set up and we had mad echo on the omnidirectional mic until we played with its settings. Sorry my only advice is borderline voodoo magic.
Yeah, I think that's what happened to us - we recorded from two Snowball mics using the 1 setting but I guess they were still too sensitive. Next time we'll try using the 2 setting and see if that'll prevent them from picking both of us.

What kind of tinkering did you do to get your mics to play along?

Ye Olde Automaton
Aug 18, 2009
So I started taking this whole podcast thing semi-seriously and got some babby's first wordpress hosting going on.

http://boxedwhine.net/podcasts

Any feedback would be great.

I took a bit of a different approach and offloaded the majority of our storage cost to soundcloud. It makes sense when you figure most sites don't host their own videos in substitute to youtube or some other video site. The soundcloud player is attractive enough in my opinion. The only glaring issue is a lack of RSS feed, and ergo no iTunes podcast listing. There are workarounds but I'm still hammering out the kinks.

Also, if anyone is checking the gooncast wiki I'd love to get us listed.

Dyslexiactic
Mar 1, 2011

Karthe posted:

Yeah, I think that's what happened to us - we recorded from two Snowball mics using the 1 setting but I guess they were still too sensitive. Next time we'll try using the 2 setting and see if that'll prevent them from picking both of us.

What kind of tinkering did you do to get your mics to play along?

Sorry about the horribly slow response. One of the snowball mics wasn't omnidirectional, so it didn't have any settings. Both of our mics pick everyone up, but since they are recording at the same time, we don't get any echo because of it. Because we record on a mac, we used Audio Aggregator to add both mics together into a single virtual device. Then, in Audacity, we record 2 mono channels (each mic) simultaneously. I think our biggest issue was using a multi-channel setting on the omnidirectional mic, which led to tons of echo (I think we only use it on setting 1 or 2 now). Sorry all of my advice in on OSX but let me know if I can be of anymore help!

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Hey, guys. I'm looking to start podcasting, since I loved doing radio stuff in high school, and thanks to college I have time to do it. What's a good mic to start out with? Or should I go with headsets?

Edit: I should probably say that I'm broke right now. So the best cheapest you got.

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 8, 2013

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

I started with the Blue Snowball. It sounds good. I've used it for all kinds of professional recording as well.

This CAD usb podcast mic seems like its your best bet if you want to stay super cheap but the reviews are mixed.

Looks like the basic entry point is around $70 for a decent mic.

I wouldn't record a podcast with those headset mics. I think they sound crappy.

EDIT: Woot is having sale on refurb Blue Mics so you might pick up a snowball there. http://tech.woot.com/plus/dont-be-blue-microphones

King Lou fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 8, 2013

8one6
May 20, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

Hey, guys. I'm looking to start podcasting, since I loved doing radio stuff in high school, and thanks to college I have time to do it. What's a good mic to start out with? Or should I go with headsets?

Edit: I should probably say that I'm broke right now. So the best cheapest you got.

My friends and I started with the Zoom handy h2* and a copy of Audacity. We just sit it in the middle of the table most of the time and it was great for on the road type stuff. I would say that it's not the greatest setup if you have a lot of ambient noise in your recording area or you're wanting to skype in someone.

*Link goes to the newer version.

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Well well well, this looks to be one disturbingly erotic post
My friend and I do a podcast about comic book reviews called Giant-Sized Comics Podcast. We are working on a full-blown website but for now we just post links to our podcast host.

I am pretty lazy and originally thought "who would care about another comic book podcast? Every basement dweller with a headset mic makes a comic book podcast!" but we decided to just do it to do SOMETHING instead of sitting around and thinking up fun things to do and never pulling the trigger. It has been a lot of fun so far, even if barely anyone listens.

That being said, where do you go to put the word out about your podcast? I hate the idea of spamming internet message boards, it seems petty, but we also want to get more listeners.

Edit: Grammar...

VELOUR SPACESUIT fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 22, 2013

8one6
May 20, 2012

VELOUR SPACESUIT posted:

My friend and I do a podcast about comic book reviews called Giant-Sized Comics Podcast. We are working on a full-blown website but for now we just post links to our podcast host.

I am pretty lazy and originally thought "who would care about another comic book podcast? Every basement dweller with a headset mic makes a comic book podcast!" but we decided to just do it to do SOMETHING instead of sitting around and thinking up fun things to do and never pulling the trigger. It has been a lot of fun so far, even if barely anyone listens.

That being said, where do you go to put the word out about your podcast? I hate the idea of spamming internet message boards, it seems petty, but we also want to get more listeners.

Edit: Grammar...

Get your podcast on iTunes as soon as possible. I'd also recommend getting the feed on every other podcast directory you can find. Just spamming forums isn't going to work (and if it's your only post it very well might be deleted.) I'd recommend contacting some of the other comic podcasts you listen to to see if they'll give you a listen. I've found that most of the podcasts in my niche (table top boardgames) are happy to help you out with a shout out if you have a few episodes under your belt.

I'm also going to recommend everyone getting a twitter, I've found it the best way to communicate with my audience.

In short, itunes, shout-outs, twitter, and So You Want To Start A Podcast?

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Also don't forget about the power of cross-pod promotion. People who listen to one podcast are far more likely to listen to other podcasts.

Also iTunes is where 90% or so of our downloads come from, so get on that. Be sure to try and get reviews early on, because the first couple of weeks on iTunes its easier to get on new and newsworthy. Stitcher and Podfeed are most of the rest of our downloads.

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!
In the spirit of that, record a bumper for your show (short, fun little ad) and trade bumpers with other podcasts you listen to. Just make sure you offer to play the other show's bumper on your podcast and most folks are more than happy for the cross promotion.

AntAskew
Apr 25, 2013
Thought I'd drop a link to my Anime and Manga related Podcast, Dynamite in the Brain.

We review and preview new shows and movies.

Come give a listen, you'll hopefully get a chuckle!

https://www.dynamiteinthebrain.com

Thanks guys.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Hey guys - a friend and I started up a podcast a fre months ago, Jason Squared. We talk about pretty much any nerdy thing that comes to our minds, so hopefully at least one episode will touch on something you'll enjoy. Our website is here, and you can pick us up directly from iTunes here.

I'm also curious: We both live states away, and so we record in our apartments on nights where we're both off work. Obviously this leads to some audio discrepancies between us, due to our individual recording setups and unique living situations. How do any of you guys work around these kinds of things, where the audio is obviously different or external factors bleed into your audio recordings, especially when you can't meet in person or afford studio space?

We also recently recorded an episode with our first guest interview, and her audio is noticeably different then ours - much more hiss on her side, and since she recorded the whole Google+ hangout conversation, you can hear the two of us randomly pop in on her side while she's talking, so other than trying to mask it with our separate audio tracks, I don't know how else to work around it. Does anyone else have any experience where they have guests on from different locations/states, and they're material is just so wildly different to yours?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I just checked my podcast's ratings and reviews on iTunes and came across a negative review that got my head scratching. I've attached it below. My podcast is here: http://www.slangdesign.com/rppr

Can someone verify if this guy is right or not? I don't consciously pan either voice on the podcast and I use Levelator on all episodes to balance the levels out.

I know our earlier episodes and the skype interviews are probably all hosed up from a technical standpoint but I would think by episode 86, I had gotten the basics down.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
People seriously complain that podcasts can be too long? That's a thing? I dunno if they're talking about you or Tom in regards to the 'black voice' unless maybe they mean your announcer/strip club DJ voice?

Either way, I only listen to the podcast via headphones and the only noted issue I've personally experienced is the levels changing when someone is far from the mic and they fade out/in.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

BlackIronHeart posted:

People seriously complain that podcasts can be too long? That's a thing? I dunno if they're talking about you or Tom in regards to the 'black voice' unless maybe they mean your announcer/strip club DJ voice?

Either way, I only listen to the podcast via headphones and the only noted issue I've personally experienced is the levels changing when someone is far from the mic and they fade out/in.

Upon further reflection, he might be referring to a Skype interview with Scott Glancy. It was mixed terribly because it was Skype and I wasn't paying attention and Scott can ramble on and make funny voices.

Ice Cream Jonsey
Jun 21, 2000
Forum Veteran
We've been doing The Don Rogers Show for about a year, although we only started putting them on an RSS feed since 2013. We try to do the show live on Wednesday nights and then upload the mp3. It is a podcast where everyone is angrier for having participated.

(I didn't listen to the late Neil Rogers in Miami in the 80s/90s, but the host did and the style of the show is most like Neil's from what I am told.)

SullivanPRIME
Mar 17, 2009
I've been doing a weekly comedy podcast for the past half year with my two friends called The Sweet Release.

We generally dig around the internet for crazy silly poo poo about sex and death, hence the name. We'll also sometimes just dip into people being morons in a more general sense. While we enjoy making fun of most of this stuff we also try to dig a little deeper to try and genuinely understand some of the people who pop up and maybe try to figure out how things seem to turn out they always do, with someone either dead or humping a My Little Pony plush doll.

SullivanPRIME fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 7, 2013

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I've just approved a couple of people for the Gooncasts wiki site - sorry for the wait!

Can someone else please take this over? The podcast I used to do hasn't been updated in ages (I'm a button-press away from canceling the hosting contract) and although I paid for another year for the gooncasts.com domain (which redirects to wikidot) I don't really want to do the wiki admin any more.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

So I threw together a 33 second ad for my podcast. If people feel like swapping, just let me know!
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByqL0D0ayoDveHBPVU45RVhfYjQ/edit?usp=sharing

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I have my first podcast ready to edit, and I was wondering, what's a good way to publicize my podcast?

Monkeypoop
May 2, 2003

Your One True God
I started a pair of podcasts with a couple of friends a couple of months ago-- "Tales From The Salad Bowl" is a friend & myself trying to remember growing up in Salinas, Ca. in the 80's, & "Geeks On Parade" is my friend Tim & I talking about general bullshit with an emphasis on video games, and our time working in the game industry. I'm not sure how interesting these will be to anyone who doesn't know us, but we're at http://dorkco.podbean.com/

Smoking Crow: Podbean has been pretty good to me so far, but you can also house them on Kompoz for free.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Nevermind, I have a wordpress.com account and they don't allow plugins.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.

BlackIronHeart posted:

I personally think 30-60 minutes is perfect. The ones that are like 5-10 minutes seem pointless to me. When I look for new podcasts to try, if they are all that short, I don't even bother.

If its over an hour, they lose me because I just don't want to listen to anyone for that long. If it was something broken up into segments like This American Life, then I can handle it. If its two dudes talking, thinking they're being funny, I have no patience for it, especially if they have no concept of editing.